PDA

View Full Version : General confusion about swearing on the Tenerife Forum

slodgedad
07-07-2011, 22:53
I know most of the members on here, especially those who have come from .com will think I'm trying to teach my Granny to suck eggs but here goes;

It is against Forum T&Cs to use masked swear words.

If you feel you have to use one then the filter will star it for you, which in my opinion is a lot more fun plus, it keeps us, as we all want, family friendly and not Tenerife Facebook.

I know most of you already know but since the recent hoohaa with members pushing their luck, quite knowingly, I thought that I would make it clear.

dede
07-07-2011, 22:58
I think the T&Cs are clear enough slodge, but maybe you could draw some pictures which might make it easier for some posters

Added after 8 minutes:

WHY would someone want to get banned on purpose????????????I just dont understand it??????

slodgedad
07-07-2011, 23:07
I think the problem has been that one or two posters, who should have known better, have dragged one or two newbies into the habit.

It stops here.

It was under control in .com but we have had so much work on our plates behind the scenes that a lot of things have slipped by.

Just take a look at the spammers on the Forum home page we have had to deal with. (New ventures are always spam magnets)

with cheese
07-07-2011, 23:15
I think the T&Cs are clear enough slodge, but maybe you could draw some pictures which might make it easier for some posters

Added after 8 minutes:

WHY would someone want to get banned on purpose????????????I just dont understand it??????

Slodge is PROVOCATION not just as bad, in which case why is DEDE allowed to constantly try and provoke people?

slodgedad
08-07-2011, 00:25
Slodge is PROVOCATION not just as bad, in which case why is DEDE allowed to constantly try and provoke people?

Provocation is something we all have to deal with.

We don't have to respond.

Perpetual provocation is another matter.

with cheese
08-07-2011, 00:40
Then in the same way as we get infractions, perpetual provokers like Dede should. IMO and probably may others.

slodgedad
08-07-2011, 00:49
Then in the same way as we get infractions, perpetual provokers like Dede should. IMO and probably may others.

Moderation decisions between Admin and members is personal, and so it should be.

with cheese
08-07-2011, 00:52
fair comment means you are aware.

slodgedad
08-07-2011, 00:55
fair comment means you are aware.

Oh yes. I am aware

tonypub
08-07-2011, 02:07
tut,seems ive missed another good night in forum land

Ecky Thump
08-07-2011, 06:04
:confused:If we are having a debate about swearing, why is the word "****" allowed to be used freely and not the English variant **** when we all know the meaning when people use it on the forum. Some people will say its a less offensive than its English variant and I know there is a Irish Whiskey called "Fekin", but I have only ever seen it used on the forum as a expletive and not in the form of endearment or the Irish word to throw, or other Irish meanings and usages.:confused:

dede
08-07-2011, 07:27

I dont see anything i post as provocation and obviously neither do the mods as ive never had a a warning or an infraction, but maybe you feel that way because you have some kind of hang up about everything i post????

with cheese
08-07-2011, 07:50
I dont see anything i post as provocation and obviously neither do the mods as ive never had a a warning or an infraction, but maybe you feel that way because you have some kind of hang up about everything i post????

Not just me that finds you an aggressive poster.

dede
08-07-2011, 07:57
Not just me that finds you an aggressive poster.

So theres a poll on me then ???:crylaughing::crylaughing:

with cheese
08-07-2011, 08:01
See, exactly you are a barrel of laughs, bet you are so much fun.
Get your finger over the report button before you wear it out.

Added after 6 minutes:

Reggie banned for following the rules. He posted a swear word as told but the tools did not do the job. ha ha

KirstyJay
08-07-2011, 09:22
See, exactly you are a barrel of laughs, bet you are so much fun.
Get your finger over the report button before you wear it out

I find those sorts of comments aggressive too, so maybe if you lighten up a little other people may not retaliate aggressively either. :)

Lead by example... And all that jazz ;)

with cheese
08-07-2011, 10:18
I find those sorts of comments aggressive too, so maybe if you lighten up a little other people may not retaliate aggressively either. :)

Lead by example... And all that jazz ;)

Provocation, exactly I would not have been aggressive in tone unless provoked Kirsty, look at previous.
If you go through Dede's posts though all are having a dig.

dede
08-07-2011, 10:25
Provocation, exactly I would not have been aggressive in tone unless provoked Kirsty, look at previous.

All ????? feel free to take a look they are there for anyone to see....

No I think you defo have a hang up with me with cheese.. so put me on your ignore list and have done.

doreen
08-07-2011, 10:58

I see dede as a poster who speaks her mind, but would never have classified her as "aggressive" or "provocative" ... on the other hand, I do remember a major hissy fit by some members when Max came back ... there was a promise of never posting again and all that :lol:

Lucy Fer
08-07-2011, 11:01
That's life it may not always be fair but some people just have blue eyes and others dont :whistle:

primrose
08-07-2011, 11:15

No I think you defo have a hang up with me with cheese.. so put me on your ignore list and have done.

Not just you dede but quite a few others, me included, everthing I post you have got to have a dig, including calling me a *****, well actually I live in an apartment on Golf Del Sur. Funny how it's just the women you have a go at.So while you are putting dede on your ignore list just add me as well.

onelegnofeet
08-07-2011, 11:26

I did this once and counted the posts ...................crap hit the fan !!!:crazy:

Added after 8 minutes:

I know most of the members on here, especially those who have come from .com will think I'm trying to teach my Granny to suck eggs but here goes;

It is against Forum T&Cs to use masked swear words.

If you feel you have to use one then the filter will star it for you, which in my opinion is a lot more fun plus, it keeps us, as we all want, family friendly and not Tenerife Facebook.

I know most of you already know but since the recent hoohaa with members pushing their luck, quite knowingly, I thought that I would make it clear.

The bit i dont understand is how its wrong for one and not for others .
Last night i posted on MaxC's thread "Why do people post threads asking for something ,but dont bother to respond ?" post 6 "Barstewards " obviously people new exactly what i meant ,Favouritr sayings thread ,post 9 SH-T,
i use in many posts @rse ,twait ,etc etc ,yes against forums T&C's ,i've seen others call members "Knobheads " and not in a fun way ...............yet neither i or they have recieved points ,warnings etc ,not questioning or asking for a reply on forum but it really makes me wonder how i for one get away with it

TOTO 99
08-07-2011, 11:47
Last night i posted on MaxC's thread "Why do people post threads asking for something ,but dont bother to respond ?" post 6 "Barstewards " obviously people new exactly what i meant ,Favouritr sayings thread ,post 9 SH-T,
i use in many posts @rse ,twait ,etc etc ,yes against forums T&C's ,i've seen others call members "Knobheads " and not in a fun way ...............yet neither i or they have recieved points ,warnings etc ,not questioning or asking for a reply on forum but it really makes me wonder how i for one get away with it[/QUOTE]

OneLeg just put your head in the lion's mouth why don't you?....:lol:

primrose
08-07-2011, 11:51
I did this once and counted the posts ...................crap hit the fan !!!:crazy:

Added after 8 minutes:

i use in many posts @rse ,twait ,etc etc ,yes against forums T&C's ,i've seen others call members "Knobheads " and not in a fun way ...............yet neither i or they have recieved points ,warnings etc ,not questioning or asking for a reply on forum but it really makes me wonder how i for one get away with it

:lol::lol::lol::lol::doh::doh::doh::doh:You won't now.OL you are going to have them queuing up to ban you.:gun::gun::gun::gun:

onelegnofeet
08-07-2011, 11:53

OneLeg just put your head in the lion's mouth why don't you?....:lol:[/QUOTE]

Lions mouths arent that big !!!
I just wondered why some and not others ??? Yet T&Cs are for all surely .............

Malteser Monkey
08-07-2011, 11:54
OneLeg just put your head in the lion's mouth why don't you?....:lol:[/QUOTE]

Please don't there'll be nowt left of you - now don't you go using those four letter words with me sunshine !!!!!!:hole::hit::p

atlantico
08-07-2011, 11:59
I hardly swear in real life, let alone on a forum !

And i served my time on building sites where every other word was a swear word !

Mind you, when I'm out with my mates, in our local 'mans bar' . . . . . . . it's let rip time !!

onelegnofeet
08-07-2011, 12:04
I hardly swear in real life,

So thats 2 Gentlemen on the forum then ...............................

Balcony
08-07-2011, 12:08
Why should there be any 'confusion' about swearing on the forum? You just shouldn't. It might be OK to swear in person when you're amongst friends. Sadly I'm guilty of that. But when it becomes written on such as a forum, for no particular reason, it suggests more than you realise about the person who writes it. Swearing should become unacceptable.

atlantico
08-07-2011, 12:13
don't they say that "a person who swears has a limited vocabulary ?"

primrose
08-07-2011, 12:22
Why should there be any 'confusion' about swearing on the forum? You just shouldn't. It might be OK to swear in person when you're amongst friends. Sadly I'm guilty of that. But when it becomes written on such as a forum, for no particular reason, it suggests more than you realise about the person who writes it. Swearing should become unacceptable.

I personally think all swearing or any kind of racist remark, which seems to have become acceptable recently should be banned,and I honestly don't know how some people have got away with it for so long, it is neither funny or clever and just shows that you cannot have any respect for the other posters on the Forum. I was always told that people swore because they hadn't the intelligence to express themselves in any other way.

onelegnofeet
08-07-2011, 12:24
:lol::lol::lol::lol::doh::doh::doh::doh:You won't now.OL you are going to have them queuing up to ban you.:gun::gun::gun::gun:

Then thats fine Mrs .P ,as long as "everyone" is dealt with in the same manner ,IMO

primrose
08-07-2011, 12:26
Then thats fine Mrs .P ,as long as "everyone" is dealt with in the same manner ,IMO

Totally agree with you MR OL.:)

onelegnofeet
08-07-2011, 12:32
I personally think all swearing or any kind of racist remark, which seems to have become acceptable recently should be banned,and I honestly don't know how some people have got away with it for so long, it is neither funny or clever and just shows that you cannot have any respect for the other posters on the Forum. I was always told that people swore because they hadn't the intelligence to express themselves in any other way.

Again you might be correct ,provided "Everyone " is regarded in your post which should include friends and foe ,family and cliques .

doreen
08-07-2011, 12:34
In an ideal world, all should be dealt with exactly the same ... but some slip through, or are not in anyway provocative or malicious (and indeed consistent) and so don't seem as bad :)

Malteser Monkey
08-07-2011, 12:35
So thats 2 Gentlemen on the forum then ...............................

and 1 Gentlewoman

onelegnofeet
08-07-2011, 12:35
Totally agree with you MR OL.:)

I meant mine out of respect .......................you just made me look old !!!!:surrender:

Added after 3 minutes:

and 1 Gentlewoman

Pure Lady .................but i've heard not so gentle:whip:

Added after 24 minutes:

I see dede as a poster who speaks her mind, but would never have classified her as "aggressive" or "provocative" ... on the other hand, I do remember a major hissy fit by some members when Max came back ... there was a promise of never posting again and all that :lol:

Dede I disagree......You've never been outspoken ,no one has been able too !!!( oops wrong thread "Favourite sayings "!!!!):eyebrows::eyebrows:

MaxineC
08-07-2011, 13:53

I always did like to make a grand entrance.... :D :D

onelegnofeet
08-07-2011, 17:20
I always did like to make a grand entrance.... :D :D

YEAH.....................muckin show off !!!

Trouble is with a Grand Entrance ,the back doors such a let down !!!!:eyebrows::eyebrows::fryingpan::fryingpan::fry ingpan:

MaxineC
08-07-2011, 17:21
YEAH.....................muckin show off !!!

Trouble is with a Grand Entrance ,the back doors such a let down !!!!:eyebrows::eyebrows::fryingpan::fryingpan::fry ingpan:

Watch it you..... :whip:

onelegnofeet
08-07-2011, 17:28
Watch it you..... :whip:

I keep trying but 29.99 is far too much !!!

MaxineC
08-07-2011, 17:44
I keep trying but 29.99 is far too much !!!

Hahahaha, I almost choked on my cup of tea when I read that!! :crylaughing:

Better start saving your pennies then.... :whistle:

warbey
08-07-2011, 19:32
good saying

Theres a time and place for everything.

This ISNT the Place where foul or offensive Language should be used.

Without trying to be offensive to Anyone,
if Posts that are inappropriate are REPORTED, We can Police our Own Forum.
Mods need help and thats how to give it
...............now where's the thanks Button gone...???????

dixie4
08-07-2011, 22:50
good saying

Theres a time and place for everything.

This ISNT the Place where foul or offensive Language should be used.

Without trying to be offensive to Anyone,
if Posts that are inappropriate are REPORTED, We can Police our Own Forum.
Mods need help and thats how to give it
...............now where's the thanks Button gone...???????

I quite agree with the sentiment that four letter words should not be used on the Forum. However, sometimes the first letter and asterisks and let the reader work it out for themselves is reasonable if it fits the context.

I recently was on a flight from Manchester to Tenerife where a totally obnoxious, loud, 50+ year old idiot sat behind me who could not speak two words without one being a four lettered one and rather loudly at that.

This was on a flight where he was surrounded by young children, families and elderly ladies. Before we left the runway I asked if he could refrain from the four letter words, a simple request and not stated in a confrontational way.

What followed was an hour of abuse and four letter words until he fell asleep.

The moral of this story is that if you ask someone to refrain from swearing in a public place and if they are of low mentality and low interlect then they will do it all the more!

sundownersvince
11-07-2011, 01:40
I quite agree with the sentiment that four letter words should not be used on the Forum. However, sometimes the first letter and asterisks and let the reader work it out for themselves is reasonable if it fits the context.

I recently was on a flight from Manchester to Tenerife where a totally obnoxious, loud, 50+ year old idiot sat behind me who could not speak two words without one being a four lettered one and rather loudly at that.

This was on a flight where he was surrounded by young children, families and elderly ladies. Before we left the runway I asked if he could refrain from the four letter words, a simple request and not stated in a confrontational way.

What followed was an hour of abuse and four letter words until he fell asleep.

The moral of this story is that if you ask someone to refrain from swearing in a public place and if they are of low mentality and low interlect then they will do it all the more!

Must have been that bruvver of mine who moved next to the Gallaghers.