PDA

View Full Version : Unsolicited calls just getting worse

DaveRF
08-07-2011, 19:00
I can understand some companies cold calling and generally I give a polite "No thanks" as people are just doing a job but there are limits.

I just got an international call from someone who could barely speak English asking if anyone in the house had had any accidents in the last 3 years they would like to claim for. He was told he would be needing to claim if he rang again.

This sort of thing gets my back up. People making a quick buck for doing **** all. No wonder Insurance premiums are rocketing continually.

We move house this month and have a new number from then. The new number is ex-directory to protect my blood pressure :)

Leam_Lin
08-07-2011, 19:04
We are ex directory & also on the telephone preference list, we still get the calls from abroad.

DaveRF
08-07-2011, 19:05
We are ex directory & also on the telephone preference list, we still get the calls from abroad.

So does the TPS not cover international calls?

Jimandsi
08-07-2011, 19:06
Suggest you also get yourself registered with the Mailing Preference Service and the Telephone Preference Service as soon as you move.

DaveRF
08-07-2011, 19:08
Suggest you also get yourself registered with the Mailing Preference Service and the Telephone Preference Service as soon as you move.

I've never done so before but am thinking it might be best. The calls seem to be becoming more and more commonplace.

Jimandsi
08-07-2011, 19:21
Should you receive an unsolicited call once you've registered with TPS simply ask for their name, address, phone number, website etc. and threaten to report them to OFCOM. You won't hear from them again unless the call is from abroad where TPS has no clout.

captain jack sparrow
08-07-2011, 19:22
You need one of these Dave, http://www.truecall.co.uk/ That'l stop em..

junglejim
08-07-2011, 19:25
Are you with Sky on any systems / I have been getting numerous calls recently related to warranty for sky equipment / only they know I have sky ! My response have been silent to threatening to report them / I'm registered with TPS !

Sal
08-07-2011, 19:26
We have caller display, so if I don't recognise the number, I don't answer the call.
Some people reckon it's best to ask them to hold the line for a minute then just leave the phone and carry on with what you are doing - after all they are paying for the call.

DaveRF
08-07-2011, 19:28
Are you with Sky on any systems / I have been getting numerous calls recently related to warranty for sky equipment / only they know I have sky ! My response have been silent to threatening to report them / I'm registered with TPS !

I am with Sky for TV, Phone line and broadband but they have been sacked as of my move date. They cannot move my line and broadband without it being off for two weeks so I have found a much better deal with an alternative provider. Sky are relentless with the marketing calls. One week they rang me 7 times over 5 days. I totally lost my rag with them and they haven't called since.

captain jack sparrow
08-07-2011, 19:36
This is how you deal with them Dave, then post the audio up on the forum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD70Zaa3z-0

Leam_Lin
08-07-2011, 19:36
So does the TPS not cover international calls?

No the telephone preference service only covers calls made in Great Britain.

Still doesn't stop calls from outside Great Britain.

Added after 4 minutes:

We have caller display, so if I don't recognise the number, I don't answer the call.
Some people reckon it's best to ask them to hold the line for a minute then just leave the phone and carry on with what you are doing - after all they are paying for the call.

Thats okay to a certain point, but the calls come up as international, & I think it may be from Tenerife, so I answer it.

Bazz
09-07-2011, 16:55
I can understand some companies cold calling and generally I give a polite "No thanks" as people are just doing a job but there are limits.

I just got an international call from someone who could barely speak English asking if anyone in the house had had any accidents in the last 3 years they would like to claim for. He was told he would be needing to claim if he rang again.

This sort of thing gets my back up. People making a quick buck for doing **** all. No wonder Insurance premiums are rocketing continually.

We move house this month and have a new number from then. The new number is ex-directory to protect my blood pressure :)

Won't make any difference - you will still get the phone calls. Mine is ex-directory and I do!!! :(

penelope pitstop
09-07-2011, 17:09
The TPS I believe can only stop calls from companies that are registered with them.

We have SKY & would not change as we have done deals with them when things get too pricey. Not sure why they take as long as 2 weeks to install a system. Would this be speeded up if you contact them 2/3 wks in advance of when u actually move in, so they can install on the same day?

penelope pitstop

Bazz
09-07-2011, 21:48
The TPS I believe can only stop calls from companies that are registered with them.

We have SKY & would not change as we have done deals with them when things get too pricey. Not sure why they take as long as 2 weeks to install a system. Would this be speeded up if you contact them 2/3 wks in advance of when u actually move in, so they can install on the same day?

penelope pitstop

Hello Jaypeeps

Thought you'd finished on here? :hello: :D

slodgedad
09-07-2011, 21:54
We get half a dozen cold calls a week in Tenerife and if the number is withheld and our name is not mentioned, in the initial 'Hola' we do a **** Van Dyke.

DaveRF
09-07-2011, 21:57

penelope pitstop

I contacted them a month before the moving date and they cannot move the phone and adsl without it being down for two weeks. We're keeping the TV with them but have a new provider for the phone who is giving a much better deal.