PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Handle Bigots

MaxineC
08-07-2011, 23:47
Personally, I would like to put them against the wall and shoot them! :gun:

I appreciate we all have different views on things, but I have zero tolerance for obnoxious goons who seem hell bent on offending anybody and everybody that doesn't live their lives as they do...

It's easy to say, 'Ignore them', but when they feel they can air some very extreme views, irrespective of how others may feel, it's very hard...

How do you handle such people ???

sunspot
08-07-2011, 23:49

I appreciate we all have different views on things, but I have zero tolerance for obnoxious goons who seem hell bent on offending anybody and everybody that doesn't live their lives as they do...

It's easy to say, 'Ignore them', but when they feel they can air some very extreme views, irrespective of how others may feel, it's very hard...

Well i for one find it very hard to ignor such posters but feel if they dish it out then i have to dish it back

DaveRF
08-07-2011, 23:53
I humour them for a while then let rip. When you personally have had to put up with that sort of ignorance directed at you systematically you have little tolerance ;)

caroletenerife
08-07-2011, 23:53
sarcasm i find winds them up no end,

MaxineC
08-07-2011, 23:59
I really thought/hoped we'd seen the back of such people... sadly this seems not to be the case. I can't remember the last time somebodies comments offended me so much... My blood is boiling and I'm going to blow very soon!

Was nice knowing you all....

caroletenerife
09-07-2011, 00:07
whats wound you up, is it the gay bar thread? will need to have a look. I do think some people who spout that kind of stuff only do it to wind people up. I remember Oprah Winfrey had the clan on her show, and complete prats they made of themselves, some people got angry with them, but most of the audience laughed at them. I think it was right to air the show because mr and mrs average had their eyes opened to just how ignorant and backward bigots are. Same when the leader of the BNP appeared on Question Time, great viewing

MaxineC
09-07-2011, 00:17
I believe the most offensive post was eventually deleted, though it took some time... He claimed gays were the same as people that 'had sex' (he used a much stronger term ;)) with dogs...!!!

It's rare for me to be shocked or offended, he managed it in one post!!

DaveRF
09-07-2011, 00:20
I know it's a bit of an oxymoron but it's right to be intolerant of intolerance ;)

MaxineC
09-07-2011, 00:27
Right, I'm out of here while that idiot is allowed to spout his venom... We get banned for masked swearing, but we're allowed to spout homophobic crap. I have neither the time or patience with it.

Cheerio chaps...

caroletenerife
09-07-2011, 00:42
mabey he has a wee winkle...or worse none at all...., hes to be pitied

sundownersvince
09-07-2011, 01:34
Maxine, I'm sure you're bigger than that!

onelegnofeet
09-07-2011, 08:59
Well the other Laundry thread is closed never noticed till i had my replies lined up ,and as my dear old mum used to say ................WASTE NOT WANT NOT

MaxCineC said "Hope they shrink your Clothes ",my replie to that ,"Usually string Vests and Y Fronts get bigger and bigger (well my grandads always did )
And RUBBER doesnt shrink but he should remove the filter from his Gas Mask ,the metal may go rusty !!!

Ecky Thump
09-07-2011, 09:01

I'm with you all the way on this one, its not only the bigotry on the forum that gets to me, but racism, that is openly displayed or is also hidden in so called humour and then supported by so called forum "friends" who then thank them for it.

junglejim
09-07-2011, 09:02
Well the other Laundry thread is closed never noticed till i had my replies lined up ,and as my dear old mum used to say ................WASTE NOT WANT NOT

MaxCineC said "Hope they shrink your Clothes ",my replie to that ,"Usually string Vests and Y Fronts get bigger and bigger (well my grandads always did )
And RUBBER doesnt shrink but he should remove the filter from his Gas Mask ,the metal may go rusty !!!

I´m sure this fitted before !!720

willowlily
09-07-2011, 09:11
but surely tolerence means just that, bigots racist included.
if it is really below the pale i remove myself form said situation, these people are really no worth your space.

MrsTT
09-07-2011, 09:54
When posts get reported, if a mod is working on forum business then it may get spotted as it comes in to the box. We do not have a flashing red light attached to our systems that alert us to the reported post. So, if no-one is actually dealing at the time, then once spotted, the WHOLE thread has to be read through to see what context the post is in. If the mod has been following the thread, then it may be a quicker response, but the whole process can take quite a long time, especially with long threads.

I´m sorry some members think it was too slow, but if mods act in haste it can be equally upsetting to forum members. Ultimately it was dealt with in about an hour and appropriate action was taken. Maybe the best thing to do when you feel so upset, is to report the post and go and do something else instead!

Tom & Sharon
09-07-2011, 10:01
I really thought/hoped we'd seen the back of such people... sadly this seems not to be the case. I can't remember the last time somebodies comments offended me so much... My blood is boiling and I'm going to blow very soon!

Was nice knowing you all....

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Tom:whistle:

dede
09-07-2011, 11:47
I think bigots should be treated with contempt, the present one should not have had the attention that he craved, but he got a reaction and that fired him up and this is what he wanted, he should have just been ignored....

Balcony
09-07-2011, 15:45
I think I know which other thread prompted this question.

My sentiment is with Maxine, but I think you also always have to be careful not to define a bigot as merely someone who disagrees with you. Maxine wasn't. Sometimes views come from the types they hang around with, ofttimes ignorance.

My approach to them (if I could be bothered) is simply to point out once and calmly, if you like, what is socially acceptable (or unacceptable) and thereafter not to engage them i.e. ignore them, unless, of course, they came back and said 'Hey, you know what, I was wrong....' (dreams on). In the thread that I saw before 'the bigot' seemed to have a knack of always coming back at you with some justification. Do you need it?

atlantico
09-07-2011, 15:52
bigots are like bullies . . . . . . ignore them, they'll get bored and will go away !

doreen
09-07-2011, 16:37
I'm with you all the way on this one, its not only the bigotry on the forum that gets to me, but racism, that is openly displayed or is also hidden in so called humour and then supported by so called forum "friends" who then thank them for it.

I'm delighted to see a well loved & much respected member say this ... I agree in full, and now is time to take this sort of behaviour off our Forum for good :)

DaveRF
09-07-2011, 19:18
To put a positive slant on recent events it's heartwarming to see just how many people are easy going and tolerant. Those who aren't are in a tiny minority.

warbey
09-07-2011, 19:39
Having been a Member ot the Previous and current Versions, I have seen a few People trying
to wind up Others., Some Posts have been Childish as well as Provocative.
Whats for sure is that Maxine is worth ten such People. Why should We suffer Her loss ?

I do hope She thinks again, because this could well delight the reaction caused by Their Posts.
Maxine, dont let Them win........

I dislike those who profess to be Nice, then pounce!
just like a Cat with an injured Bird.....

onelegnofeet
09-07-2011, 19:42

Now Now ,leave me out of it ......................damned pit moggy

Jimandsi
09-07-2011, 19:47

Well, when you rejoined the old forum, I just put you on my ignore list.

Job done.

dokgolf
09-07-2011, 19:53
There's an ignore list?? How do I get one and how does it work?

onelegnofeet
09-07-2011, 19:55
Settings and "My Account " Dok

pablo1
09-07-2011, 19:57

Job done.

Have you not got around to it this time around ?
I bet it's getting crowded in there eh ? :-)

dokgolf
09-07-2011, 20:01
Settings and "My Account " Dok

Thats brilliant! Thanks oneleg.:)

tonypub
09-07-2011, 20:03
Thats brilliant! Thanks oneleg.:)you have to post whos going on your iggy list,dunno if you see this or not?

dokgolf
09-07-2011, 20:10
you have to post whos going on your iggy list,dunno if you see this or not?

Did s'one say something???:confused::confused:

onelegnofeet
09-07-2011, 20:13
you have to post whos going on your iggy list,dunno if you see this or not?

Yes apparently i'm on a good few ............according to my pms LOL

dokgolf
09-07-2011, 20:23
Yes apparently i'm on a good few ............according to my pms LOL

I presume you mean pm's not PMS??:D

MaxineC
10-07-2011, 01:57

Job done.

You're so full of poo... you used to follow me around every thread, and then ask where the ignore button was... I kept telling you exactly how to do it, but you never did - too scared you'd miss out on something.... And still you haven't pressed it! Fool, or maybe you just think our memories are as lapse as your own.... Grow up or stick to your 'threats' and ignore me (preferably the latter)! :raspberry2:

Added after 5 minutes:

When posts get reported, if a mod is working on forum business then it may get spotted as it comes in to the box. We do not have a flashing red light attached to our systems that alert us to the reported post. So, if no-one is actually dealing at the time, then once spotted, the WHOLE thread has to be read through to see what context the post is in. If the mod has been following the thread, then it may be a quicker response, but the whole process can take quite a long time, especially with long threads.

I´m sorry some members think it was too slow, but if mods act in haste it can be equally upsetting to forum members. Ultimately it was dealt with in about an hour and appropriate action was taken. Maybe the best thing to do when you feel so upset, is to report the post and go and do something else instead!

As I previously said, there was at least one mod active on the forum when he made the most offensive post, and it stayed there
for some days after... that was the most irritating part. Most of the mods were concentrating on Reggies masked swearing... (I'm not defending what Reggie did, he was warned several times, but meanwhile another member was allowed to post much more offensive things) :(

Hopefully it's been dealt with in the appropriate manner now, and we can move on...

Added after 11 minutes:

I think I know which other thread prompted this question.

My sentiment is with Maxine, but I think you also always have to be careful not to define a bigot as merely someone who disagrees with you. Maxine wasn't. Sometimes views come from the types they hang around with, ofttimes ignorance.

My approach to them (if I could be bothered) is simply to point out once and calmly, if you like, what is socially acceptable (or unacceptable) and thereafter not to engage them i.e. ignore them, unless, of course, they came back and said 'Hey, you know what, I was wrong....' (dreams on). In the thread that I saw before 'the bigot' seemed to have a knack of always coming back at you with some justification. Do you need it?

I have no problem with people having different views, that's what makes the world go round. If we all liked/disliked the same things, what a dull place it would be. However, if he'd just said he couldn't get his head round gays, fair comment, it would never have been questioned by me. However, amongst other things, he claimed they were the worse kind of deviants, and likened them to people who '****** animals (his words, not mine). It was that comment that disgusted me.... :(

Having been a Member ot the Previous and current Versions, I have seen a few People trying
to wind up Others., Some Posts have been Childish as well as Provocative.
Whats for sure is that Maxine is worth ten such People. Why should We suffer Her loss ?

I do hope She thinks again, because this could well delight the reaction caused by Their Posts.
Maxine, dont let Them win........

Thank you Warbey. It hasn't put me off here, but I did need to log off and cool down... I will never be beaten by idiots or bigots, if that were the case, I would have disappeared after some of the many nasty comments I received when I first returned to the forum when a few of the 'regulars' felt their noses had been pushed out of joint... ;)

On that note, I'm off to bed.... Good night all x

tracey
10-07-2011, 04:43
Wow stop for breath woman!!! lol

Andy0210
10-07-2011, 09:10

She did, thats why the second bit was added after 5 minutes and the last bit added after 11 minutes.

She has big breaths our Maxine ;)

junglejim
10-07-2011, 10:07
She did, thats why the second bit was added after 5 minutes and the last bit added after 11 minutes.

Heavy breathing all around when Maxine´s about methinks!:run:

MaxineC
10-07-2011, 17:42

??? ??? ??? And maybe an eye test for you, so you can read the time lapses in between... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just spotted the lol.... eye test in order for me too! :eek:

Haha... Cheeky!:eyebrows:

Heavy breathing all around when Maxine´s about methinks!:run:

:crylaughing: :crylaughing:

warbey
10-07-2011, 20:16
Maxine, Youve just achieved a HAPPY ENDING.......lol

Congratulations.!!!!! not many can do it......

MaxineC
10-07-2011, 20:58
Maxine, Youve just achieved a HAPPY ENDING.......lol

Congratulations.!!!!! not many can do it......

Haha, I love a happy ending.... :D

doreen
10-07-2011, 21:33
Haha, I love a happy ending.... :D

Oops ... do you think they know the other meaning of "happy ending" in Tenerife :)

pablo1
10-07-2011, 21:39
Oops ... do you think they know the other meaning of "happy ending" in Tenerife :)

I went for a Thai massage once and the lady asked if i'd like a happy ending.
I was intrigued and said yes.... so she read me Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

MaxineC
10-07-2011, 22:36

I'm sure I don't know what you mean.... :whistle: