PDA

View Full Version : The Case for Holidays In Britain. NOT

Balcony
09-07-2011, 13:55
Whilst I agree some parts of England are terribly nice you really do have to look at the weather, don't you?

We're due to go camping soon in the Lake District and it seems every day I read of rain! God only knows what we'll find if we make it there. At the moment it seems it's sunny and about 17 C. But will the ground dry out or will we face a min-glastobury and end up caked in mud every day?

We're almost at a stage of losing our advance payment and going elsewhere, but then I thinl maybe we should have gone to Tenerife (not camping I hasten to add).

tonypub
09-07-2011, 14:07
if you enjoy rain and being wet you should have a great time,otherwise your screwed, feel youve wasted your money and will wish you booked tenerife.uk beauty spots are not cheap either.hope weather picks up for you.

lelmarky
09-07-2011, 14:43
ground up here is not really that muddy and hasnt really rained that much

saying that..we much prefer tenerife to camping round here :whistle:

tonypub
09-07-2011, 14:45
it must rain lots in the lake district or it wouldnt be a lake district surely?

lelmarky
09-07-2011, 14:58
im sitting in the garden sunning myself, rains more up in the hills tho

Balcony
09-07-2011, 15:54
I think I'll have to drink to that tonypub! Luckily there is a bar on the site.

if you enjoy rain and being wet you should have a great time,otherwise your screwed, feel youve wasted your money and will wish you booked tenerife.uk beauty spots are not cheap either.hope weather picks up for you.

You're in Cumbria?

im sitting in the garden sunning myself, rains more up in the hills tho

captain jack sparrow
09-07-2011, 16:09
Same here balcony, live on the fringe of the lake district to, Nice and sunny today, you dont exactly need factor 40 but its nice to see some sun after the rain we had, Like lelmarky says, its quite hilly around here so it can be fine were i live and heavy rain a few miles up the road. Have a nice holiday regardless, bit of rain never hurt anyone. Dont forget to hire a boat in windermere and cruse the lake. ( very reasonable priced )

lelmarky
12-07-2011, 09:14
I think I'll have to drink to that tonypub! Luckily there is a bar on the site.

You're in Cumbria?

Cockermouth to be exact...so yes it can rain a lot :devil:

Jackie
12-07-2011, 09:27
Apart from long weekends away with friends or family, I have to say, we as a family have only ever holidayed once in the UK. The weather was dire even for the 'summer' and it cost us more to amuse 3 kids in a week than it would have done to go abroad for two. Having said that I always used to go camping as a kid in the UK with very good family friends and their daughter and we used to have a great time, but then I wasn't the one cleaning mud of shoes and clothes and trying to keep the tent clean constantly ;). The couple did see the error of their ways eventually and as we became teenagers our camping expeditions moved further afield when we used to travel for the whole summer holidays camping in Europe with better weather :)

Tenerife Property
12-07-2011, 09:45
Holidays in the UK can be great, I remember as a child camping on farms in Devon and Cornwall with Aunts, Uncles and Cousins. We always had a great time and as I recall the weather was always pretty good through the summer. Maybe climate change is a factor here? Camping in a Caravan could be a better option.

karinagal
12-07-2011, 09:47
I used to holiday in UK seaside towns as a kid - sometimes camping, sometimes in caravan parks. It was nice enough when the weather was nice as far as I can remember..

It's soooooooo expensive now though! We were in Grimsby at the weekend for a wedding (my niece's - fab weekend) and we passed Center Parks on the way there. Hubby told me that a guy he works with paid £1200 for a 5 day break for 2 adults and 2 kids!! Bloomin' eck!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk