PDA

View Full Version : Recipes Canarian recipies by Tenerife Forum members

mike in chayofa
02-06-2011, 16:17
Chorizo & Chickpea Stew

You will need:

A hi-lighter to mark the relevant bits.

Stick to the recipe precisely – unless you don’t have something … in which case, leave it out, or – you have something in the fridge that you need to use … in which case, throw it in.

This serves 4/5/6, so you may want to halve the quantities – but it does keep in the fridge and also freezes.

Fry 4 x Chorizo sausages in a tblspn of oil until browned all over. Remove and blot on kitchen paper to remove excess oil. When cool, chop into quite large chunks making sure that they don’t spit at you, cos it’s dreadful trying to wash it out and add to a flameproof casserole (if cooking in the oven) or a large saucepan if you have a controllable hob.

Add another tblspn of oil to the frying pan and fry 1 x medium sized onion peeled and chopped, and 2 x cloves of garlic finely chopped. Then transfer to pan.

Toss ½ red pepper and ½ yellow pepper deseeded and chopped for around 3 minutes. Also 1 x green picona pepper (small hot ones) deseeded and chopped finely. If you have ½ an aubergine throw this is as well – chopped. Transfer to casserole or pan.

Fry 200 gm of scrappy pork chunks or ham (available from Mercadona – choose nice ones and remove any fat and chop into bite size pieces) until brown. Add to pan.

At this point add to pan: 1 x 400 gm tin of chopped tomatoes, 300 ml of pork stock, a small spash of lemon juice and seasoning. Also add 1 x 400 gm jar of Chickpeas drained and rinsed well.

Bring the lot to the boil and gently simmer for as long as you want, stirring occasionally. 3 – 4 hours is best. If you have a slow-cooker, you can do it overnight in that.

If you want to add potatoes, cook them at some point and throw them into the pot at least a couple of hours before serving … or serve separately … or whatever.

mike in chayofa
02-06-2011, 16:19
Red Mojo Sauce

Peel and section one whole, small clove of garlic
Add 1 large table-spoon of cumin powder
Add 1 large table-spoon of paprika
Add 1 large table-spoon of sea-salt
Add a little olive-oil and grind all of it into a paste (make sure you grind out all the lumps of garlic!)
Scrape the mixture into a blender. Use more olive-oil to get all the mixture out.
Add to the blender 1/2 a red pepper, finely chopped and blend.
add another 1/2 chopped, red pepper and blend
add another 1/2 chopped, red pepper and blend
add another 1/2 chopped, red pepper and blend (so 2 whole red peppers in the end)

Malteser Monkey
02-06-2011, 16:20
I'm still after a recipie for carajacas - not one off the internet one that someone has actually tried and tested please.

bonitatime
02-06-2011, 16:23
Canarian potatoes

"Papas Arrugadas con Mojo" (Papas Arrugadas with Mojo (Small Potatoes Boiled in Their Jackets))
Ingredients: 1 Kg. of small potatoes, 2 handfuls (1/4 Kg) of salt, 3 o 4 glasses of water.
Method:
1. Wash out carefully the potatoes without peeling them but making sure that all the soil is removed from their jackets.
2. Place the potatoes in a pot along with the salt and add water until you cover the potatoes but without surpassing them.
Once they are cooked, take out the water and place the pot with the potatoes again on to heat, moving them until they dry up (approximately two minutes).
3. Remove the pot from the heat and leave it some minutes wrapped in a cloth.
4. To end with, serve them in a tray and spread mojo on top.

From http://www.grancanaria.com/patronato_turismo/5674.0.html#c15634

mike in chayofa
02-06-2011, 16:23
Puchero Canario - Traditional Canarian Soup

Ingredients :

1kg Meat (stewing steak)
250-500g Pork meat
1 medium-sized cabbage
1 or 2 small marrows (burbangos)
500g Pumpkin
2-4 Corn cobs
2kg Potatoes
1kg Sweet Potatoes
250g Chickpeas
250g Green beans
1 of the thick Chorizo sausages
5-6 cloves of garlic
saffron
cumin
1 onion
1 tomato
1 sweet pepper
(carrots can be added and any of these vegetables that are not readily available can be left out!)

Sweat the garlic cumin & saffron with the chopped onion in a little oil. Add the chopped tomato and pepper. Seal your meat in the pan, then add 4 litres of water and bring to the boil. When the meat is half cooked add the vegetables. Simmer until cooked.

Once it's cooked, remove all the ingredients from the saucepan with a sieved spoon and arrange in a large serving dish.

You can use the 'stock' to mix with gofio and make a dough known as 'escaldon'.

Part of the meat is eaten as a first course served with mojo.

The vegetables are served with oil and vinegar as a second course with the rest of the meat.

Any left over stock (known as 'tumbo' in the north of Tenerife) can be made into soup adding bread and served with a few leaves of fresh mint.

As always, any quantities can be adapted to taste & requirements.

mike in chayofa
02-06-2011, 16:25
Sopa De Pollo Con Fideos

Ingredients:

One chicken drumstick or thigh
One chicken stock cube (optional)
A few mixed herbs
One litre (2.2 English pints) of water
A handful / tablespoon of thin noodles

Method:

Place all the ingredients, except the pasta, into a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer slowly for about 30 minutes (give or take) until the chicken is ready to fall off the bone and has infused it's flavour into the stock.

Remove the drumstick from the stock and remove the meat from the bone, shredding finely. Place the meat back into the saucepan with the stock. Add the pasta and simmer for approx. 5 minutes more, until the pasta is done.

Season to taste and serve with crusty bread. Serves four.

mike in chayofa
02-06-2011, 16:29
Zarzuela

half a litre of white wine
half a litre of fish stock
1 carton of frito
herbs for fish (thyme, taragon, dill, etc)
2 400g boxes of cheap, white, filleted fish from Mercadona (cheapest you can find)
Octopus
Bag of prawns
2 big red peppers
2 Spanish onions (as if you'd get any other kind here!)
any other veggies you fancy... such as mushrooms...
a BIG pan.

Fry off the onions in the pan.
Put the wine & stock in and reduce it by half.
Add the frito and peppers, plus other veggies if you are using them.
Cook for a bit.
Add all the fishy bits and herbs.
Cook for an hour or two on a low heat stirring occasionally.
A touch of lemon juice can be added too if you like.

mike in chayofa
02-06-2011, 16:32
Mojo Verde

Ingredients:
1 garlic bulb
200ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
150ml White Wine Vinegar
1 handful of fresh coriander
½ teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt

Preparation:
Firstly, peel the garlic cloves

Place the garlic, cumin, vinegar and salt in a blender and puree until finely chopped.

Chop the coriander leaves

Finally slowly mix in the coriander leaves and olive oil.

Malteser Monkey
02-06-2011, 16:33
and my carajacas

mike in chayofa
02-06-2011, 16:35
Fresh Salsa dip

This is latino so not quite Canarian !

1 tin chopped Tomatoes
1 bunch fresh Cilantro aka Coriander
2 cloves garlic
2 (uk size) spring onions if you like them
Cayenne pepper/Chillis to desired heat
pinch of salt

mike in chayofa
02-06-2011, 16:43
Tortilla Española

Ingredients for 4 servings:

3 medium potatoes
3 large eggs
1 onion
salt 1/2 teasp & pepper to taste
olive oil
Italian parsley, chopped (optional)

Use a 7-inch non-stick pan as it's easy to fill, making a nice high and rounded tortilla which is easy to flip over.

1. Slice potatoes lengthwise once, then slice both pieces thinly into half moons. Chop onions into 1/4 rings.

2. Coat the bottom of the pan with oil and when hot add potatoes. Keep turning so they do not burn or go brown.
When golden, remove from pan and set aside in large bowl.

NOTE: Some people prefer to gently boil or steam the potatoes for 5 - 10 minutes rather than fry them.

3. Put chopped onion in pan, if necessary add a little more oil and sauté until soft, without being dark brown. Remove from pan and add to potatoes in bowl.

4. Beat the eggs in a small bowl, add salt & pepper and chopped parsley, and pour over potato & onion mixture in bowl. Turn gently to coat all.

5. Add 2 TBS oil to pan and when hot, pour in the egg, potato and onion mixture. Run the edge of a sharp knife or spatula around the rim of the pan while the egg is setting to loosen the edges. You could also poke it several times in the middle to let some of the runny egg seep down to the pan. Don't let it get too dark or burn.

6. When the edges are set and the middle is still half runny hold a plate over the top and flip pan and all over on to the plate and gently slide it back into the pan. Don't overcook as the centre should still be juicy.

7. Let cook a minute or two more on that side, then slide it out onto a plate.

8. Cut into wedges as a luncheon dish, or into small squares with toothpicks to be served on a buffet or as a tapa. Or keep it whole to take on a picnic.

The edges should be fat and firmly rounded. If you've never tried making one before, start with a small non-stick pan and when you're an expert move up to a larger pan.

mike in chayofa
02-06-2011, 16:46
Carne con Papas

* 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
* 1/2 small white onion, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
* 1/8 cup olive oil
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 tablespoons achiote powder
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
* 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
* 2 white potatoes
* 1 cup white wine
* 4 cups water
* 6 cubes beef bouillon

DIRECTIONS

1. In a blender, combine green pepper, onion, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon cumin and salt. Pulse, while pouring 1/8 cup olive oil through top of blender. Blend until smooth; set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in pressure cooker on medium heat. Saute green pepper mixture for 1 minute, then stir in achiote powder and 1 teaspoon cumin. Cook for 1 minute, then stir in tomato sauce. Return to a simmer, then add beef; let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes, then pour in wine and water. Drop in the bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 minute; add water, if necessary, to cover.
3. Cover with lid of pressure cooker. Following manufacturer's directions, cook under 15 pound pressure for about 30 to 45 minutes.

mike in chayofa
02-06-2011, 17:10
Gazpacho

Cold Tomato and Vegetable Soup.
Ingredients
2 to 4 slices bread (without crusts)
3 ripe tomatoes, peeled & seeded (or 1 C tomato juice)
2 Cups cold water
1 onion
1 small green pepper, seeded & cut into small strips
1/2 cucumber, peeled
1 clove garlic, crushed
6 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions
Crumble the bread and soak in the wine vinegar and crushed garlic.
Chop the cucumber and the tomatoes - after scalding the tomatoes in boiling water to loosen the skin.
Finely chop the onion - Set aside a portion of the vegetables for a garnish.
Liquefy the soaked bread, garlic, olive oil and vegetables in a blender.
Add the tomato and the rest of the water to taste, and then stir in the salt and pepper.
Chill for at least two hours, and serve with side dishes of diced cucumber and sliced green peppers.

mike in chayofa
02-06-2011, 17:13
Champiñones al Ajillo

(Garlic mushrooms)

Ingredients
5 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 dried chili pepper (guindilla), seeds removed
5 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 C + 4 oz. of dry sherry (jerez seco)
1 LB fresh mushrooms, cleaned & cut into thick slices
Pinch of salt
2 Tbsp fresh (or dry) parsley, chopped

Directions
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and add the garlic.
When the garlic begins to brown, add the mushrooms all at once.
Stir and cook until they are almost done.
Add the pepper and dry sherry.
Bring to a boil for one minute - add salt to taste.
Sprinkle with parsley and remove the pepper before serving.

mike in chayofa
02-06-2011, 17:16
Churros ... easier to buy, but not as tasty :hungry:

Traditional breakfast dish served with melted chocolate and coffee.

Ingredients
1 1/3 Cups of flour
1 Cup of water
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large egg
vegetable oil for frying
sugar

Directions
In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil with the salt - and gradually pour it into a bowl containing the flour.
Stir with a wooden spoon to make a smooth dough.
Beat in the egg - and keep stirring until smooth.
Put the dough into a pastry bag - or a large plastic freezer bag, with a corner snipped off.
Add vegetable oil to a skillet and pipe the dough in the hot oil in the shape of a spiral - take care not to overheat the oil.
Fry until a golden brown.
Lift out the spiral with a fork, and drain on paper towels.
Cut into desired lengths, and sprinkle with sugar.

bonitatime
02-06-2011, 22:58
Ok what are these carajacas
right I looked it up Has anyone actually seen these in Tenerife as they look yummy.

http://sobrecanarias.com/2009/07/30/preparar-carajacas-tipico-en-gran-canaria/

Malteser Monkey
03-06-2011, 09:12
Ok what are these carajacas
right I looked it up Has anyone actually seen these in Tenerife as they look yummy.

http://sobrecanarias.com/2009/07/30/preparar-carajacas-tipico-en-gran-canaria/

it is gorgeous if you like liver ! - I haven't seen this recipie - sounds about right so will try it - thanks

tenerifechris
01-07-2011, 23:27
Anyone got the English translation of this? Looks great.

dokgolf
02-07-2011, 00:19
Mike in Chayofa, you're a genius. Just made papas arrugudas con mojo rojo this evening. Absolutely brill! Many thanks:hat::hat::hat:

bonitatime
02-07-2011, 13:02
Anyone got the English translation of this? Looks great.

You need 1 kg of liver cut in fine slices.
Chop 6 cloves of garlic and a chilli pepper finely. to them add I table spoon of paprika, orgegano, parsley, salt, half a glass of olive oil and half a glass of wine vinegar.
Cover the liver with this mix and leave the mixture for at least 8 hours.
After this fry them in a frying pan with a little oil.
Once the are all coked and resting in a serving dish take the oil/vinegar mix and fry it at a high heat for 2 mins. Cover the liver with this mix and serve with a bay leaf and a sprig of thyme.

Suej
02-07-2011, 13:16
Carne con Papas

* 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
* 1/2 small white onion, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
* 1/8 cup olive oil
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 tablespoons achiote powder
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
* 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
* 2 white potatoes
* 1 cup white wine
* 4 cups water
* 6 cubes beef bouillon

DIRECTIONS

1. In a blender, combine green pepper, onion, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon cumin and salt. Pulse, while pouring 1/8 cup olive oil through top of blender. Blend until smooth; set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in pressure cooker on medium heat. Saute green pepper mixture for 1 minute, then stir in achiote powder and 1 teaspoon cumin. Cook for 1 minute, then stir in tomato sauce. Return to a simmer, then add beef; let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes, then pour in wine and water. Drop in the bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 minute; add water, if necessary, to cover.
3. Cover with lid of pressure cooker. Following manufacturer's directions, cook under 15 pound pressure for about 30 to 45 minutes.

What is Achiote powder? is that in the herb rack in Mercadona? Could I use a Slow cooker? don´t have a pressure cooker.:hungry: Thanks!

bonitatime
02-07-2011, 15:10
Carne con papas can be cooked in a slow cooker.

AL JAY
02-07-2011, 16:39
Carne con papas ...video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPjGLLC4jag

Goforgold
02-07-2011, 17:44
What is Achiote powder? is that in the herb rack in Mercadona? Could I use a Slow cooker? don´t have a pressure cooker.:hungry: Thanks!

Those are exactly the two things I was wondering about !! :)

TheBloke
02-07-2011, 19:44
Do all these recipies involve feet in them?

There are some great ones though feet or no feet.

babybadger
05-07-2011, 18:34

It's a seed from Mexico , Achiote (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bixa_orellana)

Saltnpepper
15-08-2011, 16:25
and where can you buy Achiote please?

ANDREA S
11-12-2011, 13:58
Another little tip is to add half a lemon in with the potatoes as you are cooking them. Keeps the potatoes from discolouring. So my canarian in laws tell me.
canarian potatoes

"papas arrugadas con mojo" (papas arrugadas with mojo (small potatoes boiled in their jackets))
ingredients: 1 kg. Of small potatoes, 2 handfuls (1/4 kg) of salt, 3 o 4 glasses of water.
Method:
1. Wash out carefully the potatoes without peeling them but making sure that all the soil is removed from their jackets.
2. Place the potatoes in a pot along with the salt and add water until you cover the potatoes but without surpassing them.
Once they are cooked, take out the water and place the pot with the potatoes again on to heat, moving them until they dry up (approximately two minutes).
3. Remove the pot from the heat and leave it some minutes wrapped in a cloth.
4. To end with, serve them in a tray and spread mojo on top.

From http://www.grancanaria.com/patronato_turismo/5674.0.html#c15634

richard king
01-03-2012, 20:58
hi.mike..i have been trying to anwer your private message but given my zero computer skills i am unable to do so...the first box says recipient then second says subject but i cant work out how to leave a message on the big box..perhaps you could help but basically i am going to participate in this forum ..just as soon as my girlfriend is back from england and explains to me how..what little i have achieved so far has taken me ages and so many things have been unsuccesful..i am not very good on computer but trying to learn..my girlfriend joined me yesterday but has flown to england today till saturday...tried in vain to answer you so now trying this..hope it works..thanks for your message..richard

Malteser Monkey
22-04-2012, 13:07
here we are Mike gave us a recipie - much along the same as mine SueJ

cainaries
22-04-2012, 14:49
here we are Mike gave us a recipie - much along the same as mine SueJ

I didn't know about this thread - great idea. I take it 'tomato sauce' in a tin as 'tomato frito' is it? Not Heinz!?

Malteser Monkey
23-04-2012, 10:28
I didn't know about this thread - great idea. I take it 'tomato sauce' in a tin as 'tomato frito' is it? Not Heinz!?

I think chopped toms in a tin are better - if making a humungous amount - both will be even better

Suej
23-04-2012, 11:48
I never really use tomato Fritto it's too thick and gloopy!

Malteser Monkey
23-04-2012, 11:51
ahhh but tasty in things

cainaries
23-04-2012, 12:35

We don't use it either, Suej, this is why I was asking. I'm sure just tinned tomatoes or even troceado will be fine - and a bit of tomato concentrate.

Greg
23-04-2012, 23:24
Well I've read this with interest and I've finally decided on..... going to Mikes house for dinner! :spin:

Malteser Monkey
24-04-2012, 13:00
Well I've read this with interest and I've finally decided on..... going to Mikes house for dinner! :spin:

Well you ain't got far to go !