PDA

View Full Version : Spanish names of fish types and beef cuts needed

tenerifechris
09-07-2011, 23:07
Does anyone know what the name of a fish is, which has a similar texture and taste to cod. I have tried some white fish in the Mercandona, but fish pie fails everytime!

While on the subject of food and the Mercandona, what Spanish names do I look for when buying steak, such as braising steak, frying steak. I usually shop by what it looks like, sometimes it is tender (nice) but sometimes a bit like old shoes! Note that I have cooked them yet!

Thanks for any help:hungry:

anniemc
09-07-2011, 23:13
The closest to cod here is Panga, its absolutely delicious deep fried in batter but not so good grilled or baked.

leojohn
09-07-2011, 23:16
Panga has a very high water content,but tastes very nice

slodgedad
10-07-2011, 00:17
Steak;

Solomillo...Fillet

Entrecote,..Sirloin

WeeJake
10-07-2011, 00:29
Go to a good butcher and he will explain everything to you....I would highly recommend miguel up in Cabo Blanco....we buy all our meat there...Only the best of course...PM me for his details if you´re interested but his meat is all SPANISH or GORMERAN. None of that Uruguay or Brazillian Stuff you buy in most shops. He can even tell you when the bull, calf, cow, lamb, goat etc etc was born, when it was killed and the best cuts you can expect from them. Fantastic Butcher.

glostergirl
10-07-2011, 00:29
cod is bacaloa probably spelt wrong

Jelly Baby
10-07-2011, 01:01
The white fish could have been Merluza or Cherne. I think Cherne is more similar to cod than Panga as it is "meatier".

atlantico
10-07-2011, 01:33
come on ! panga is nowhere near Cod ! It's a cheap alternative but no where near as tasty. If you get genuine Cod on this island , you'll know by the price ! EXPENSIVE !!

One place in Silencio does poached Cod, and its €14,95, but gorgeous ! If you are offered 'Cod' and it's in batter, it's NOT Cod for definite ! It'll be Panga, Cherne, Merluza or that bacaloa one ( which is quite good actually)

tracey
10-07-2011, 04:31
I dont like merzula cause its too fishy. rosada is lovely, its like haddock or cod. Not sure if you can get it on the island (I only had it in Spain)

come on ! panga is nowhere near Cod ! It's a cheap alternative but no where near as tasty. If you get genuine Cod on this island , you'll know by the price ! EXPENSIVE !!

One place in Silencio does poached Cod, and its €14,95, but gorgeous ! If you are offered 'Cod' and it's in batter, it's NOT Cod for definite ! It'll be Panga, Cherne, Merluza or that bacaloa one ( which is quite good actually)

should be because its cod ???

Ed3229
10-07-2011, 08:40
Does anyone know what the name of a fish is, which has a similar texture and taste to cod. I have tried some white fish in the Mercandona, but fish pie fails everytime!

While on the subject of food and the Mercandona, what Spanish names do I look for when buying steak, such as braising steak, frying steak. I usually shop by what it looks like, sometimes it is tender (nice) but sometimes a bit like old shoes! Note that I have cooked them yet!

Thanks for any help:hungry:

Im a Butcher in the uk and yes some cuts will be tuff if you don't know what your getting.
I have found this webpage http://www.clubcruceros.org/spanishbeefcuts.html it has a chart of Spanish cuts and a chart of British cuts.
Hope this helps.
If you get stuck pm me and I can tell you whats the best to use...:)

Carol55
10-07-2011, 09:04
I dont like merzula cause its too fishy. rosada is lovely, its like haddock or cod. Not sure if you can get it on the island (I only had it in Spain)

[/COLOR]
should be because its cod ???

Oh! I know what you mean, there is nothing worse than fish that tastes like fish, its almost as bad as meat that tastes like meat.:crylaughing::crylaughing:

Stoney
10-07-2011, 09:24
Merzula is nothing like cod because it is Hake, Panga is what the restaurants use when selling fish and chips (not cod or Haddock)
Cod is Bacalao rarely seen fresh in Mercadona and is expensive, can be bought frozen 5 small pieces for 3.95. Haddock is eglefino never seen that in Mercadona. Hope this helps.

tracey
10-07-2011, 09:25
Oh! I know what you mean, there is nothing worse than fish that tastes like fish, its almost as bad as meat that tastes like meat.:crylaughing::crylaughing:

lol I know it sounds weird but I am not really a fan of fish, so dont like really smelly ones

junglejim
10-07-2011, 09:54
If a fish is smelly then it's not fresh ! Smoked fished do have an aroma but is part of process .
Not a great fan of Panga - doesn´t get a good press as River Cobbler .

http://www.dietmindspirit.org/2008/01/30/why-you-shouldnt-eat-this-fish-pangas-pangasius-vietnamese-river-cobbler-white-catfish-gray-sole/

I usually buy frozen skinless cod in Mercadona , good value. Dorada fresh is nice but a little expensive as I am only one who likes fish in my home .
Try making Cullen Skink , fish soup - tasty and easy to do - a meal on it´s own!
http://www.hub-uk.com/foodpages20/recip0994.htm
I think you can get smoked fish in Iceland .

Here you go for beef cuts
http://www.clubcruceros.org/spanishbeefcuts.html

atlantico
10-07-2011, 10:09
Cod is Bacalao rarely seen fresh in Mercadona and is expensive,

didn't know that one, . . . . . . El Patio de Coral in Silencio sells baked Bacalao with a caramalized onion sauce for €6.90, so that's a bargain now I know its Cod

junglejim
10-07-2011, 10:18
didn't know that one, . . . . . . El Patio de Coral in Silencio sells baked Bacalao with a caramalized onion sauce for €6.90, so that's a bargain now I know its Cod

You need to be careful as Bacalao is generally dried salt cod which needs soaking to remove salt before use in cooking, also prominent in Portuguese fish stew

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacalhau

Malteser Monkey
10-07-2011, 10:37
The closest thing I found to cod was DORADO ! It didn't seem to be as strong as other white fish

Merluza and cherne are lovely but just that little bit more fishy

Bacalao is imported frozen I believe can only be caught in Northern cold seas (please correct me any fishermen out there but that's what I was told)

As for Meat someone has already listed some

Solomillo - fillet
and when I wanted braising steak i was told to ask for ...Carne para mechar... which I think actually means stuffed meat LOL

Trust you carol but it's true !! I know what they mean - too strong and salty:raspberry2::D

seanocelt
10-07-2011, 11:48
I find Panga a poor alternative to cod/haddock.Do Iceland do a decent frozen battered cod? Cullen Skink, JJ , not heard of that in many a year!

Malteser Monkey
10-07-2011, 11:57
I find Panga a poor alternative to cod/haddock.Do Iceland do a decent frozen battered cod? Cullen Skink, JJ , not heard of that in many a year!

Ohh Sean you are letting the side down !!!:p:D You live in a fishing village where fresh is at your feet and you want Birds Eye battered cod ?? Dear oh dear !

Get some langostinos al ajillo down you or some cherne con papas arrugadas y mojo rojo. What I wouldn't give to be there now for my dinner mmmmmm starving now - just off to have fishfingers and beans:ashamed::D

junglejim
10-07-2011, 12:16

Ship Inn , Irvine has it on their menu every day !! Superb , though I prefer making my own .

http://www.theshipinnirvine.co.uk/

seanocelt
10-07-2011, 12:35
Ohh Sean you are letting the side down !!!:p:D You live in a fishing village where fresh is at your feet and you want Birds Eye battered cod ?? Dear oh dear !

Get some langostinos al ajillo down you or some cherne con papas arrugadas y mojo rojo. What I wouldn't give to be there now for my dinner mmmmmm starving now - just off to have fishfingers and beans:ashamed::D

I like all of the food in your post, just not a panga fan at all. Family had chippies most of my life, haddock is my fav, cod next, panga not even in the charts! Having papas arrugadas again this week, the Mrs adores them.

primrose
10-07-2011, 12:36

Iceland do bags of frozen Cod, Haddock, White Fish and Finny Haddock so you can do what you want with it batter or bread crumbs, they also do tins of Cullen Skink.:hungry:

junglejim
10-07-2011, 12:45
Iceland do bags of frozen Cod, Haddock, White Fish and Finny Haddock so you can do what you want with it batter or bread crumbs, they also do tins of Cullen Skink.:hungry:

Finnan Haddock - delicious !
http://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_finnan.htm

Tinned Cullen Skink - I´m not so sure!

primrose
10-07-2011, 12:49
Finnan Haddock - delicious !
http://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_finnan.htm

Tinned Cullen Skink - I´m not so sure!

Finny -- I'm from Lancashire where they talk proper.;)

sundownersvince
10-07-2011, 13:20
I believe that in Spanish, ie when shopping in Mercadona, the word fillet on the label of beef means off the bone, not the cut we know in Uk. The price per kilo will give you a clue. I have also bought whole rumps in vacuum packs in cash and carrys which originate in S. America and they were very nice and tender. Bacalao is indeed the Spanish for cod and the salted version is readily distinguished by a more greyish appearance. Look out for 'salpresar' on the label. Just by chance I'm defrosting some Mackerel I caught last week. :boat:

junglejim
10-07-2011, 15:25
Finny -- I'm from Lancashire where they talk proper.;)

Aye but it's where the Haddie comes from that matters !
Parma ham - Parma
Finnan haddies - Findon

tracey
11-07-2011, 03:28
The closest thing I found to cod was DORADO ! It didn't seem to be as strong as other white fish

Merluza and cherne are lovely but just that little bit more fishy

Bacalao is imported frozen I believe can only be caught in Northern cold seas (please correct me any fishermen out there but that's what I was told)

As for Meat someone has already listed some

Solomillo - fillet
and when I wanted braising steak i was told to ask for ...Carne para mechar... which I think actually means stuffed meat LOL

Trust you carol but it's true !! I know what they mean - too strong and salty:raspberry2::D

I always thought it was carne para guisar (dont think that spelt right)