PDA

View Full Version : Utilities How do we change the name on our electricity bill with Unelco in Tenerife?

stringfellas
02-06-2011, 18:20
Does anyone know anything about dealing with Unelco. We cannot pay the electric bill because its hasnt been changed over in to our name when we visited their office in los cristaianos to ask for the latest bills they said we couldnt give them to us because they are not in our name and due to the data protection act blah blah the upshot is we have now been cut off any help appreciated. We would like to employ some one reliable to organise all of the name change and reconnection of the electric.

doreen
02-06-2011, 18:24
Are there any bills, especially the last one, at the property addressed to the previous owner - when it is refused by the bank, it is sent out again with a bar code on the bottom which can be used to pay it at that office.

Forum member goldenmaniac would be an excellent person to organise all the changes for you - good estate agents normally help out, but obviously not in your case.

bonitatime
02-06-2011, 19:12
I think our estate agent added my name to the bill and then took the old owners name off. I would try to pay over the phone by credit card to get reconnected then phone again to see what they need for a name change.

doreen
02-06-2011, 19:15
One thing to be careful of with Unelco ... if you buy somewhere that is 20 plus years old (and there are quite a few complexes of that age), you will need a new boletin (certificate) before you can change it into your name from the previous owner - this will involve upgrading the wiring and fuseboard.

A way to get around a possible cut off, as has happened to the OP, is to do a deal with the previous owner that they will not cancel their direct debit for a few months and pay them in advance for an average usage (again, a good agent will help you negotiate this)

Greg
02-06-2011, 20:24
If the rental contract or escritura is in your name simply take the original and a copy along with a copy of your NIE and Unelco will give you a new contract in your name. You will still have to pay any outstanding bills before you are reconnected. You may need a current Boletin too. I can help you with the name change and Boletin if you get stuck. Just drop me a PM with your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Goldenmaniac
02-06-2011, 20:28
Have sent you a pm