PDA

View Full Version : Pre-paid debit cards information required

edsa
11-07-2011, 08:14
Is there anybody who has recently applied for a fairfx pre-paid debit card who can tell me what proof of identity
or address they require when you apply online? Also how you provided such proof i.e. scan and email documents.
Don't want to go any further with an application to find I can't provide what they are asking for or some such thing.

Thanks in advance

Ecky Thump
11-07-2011, 08:34
Is there anybody who has recently applied for a fairfx pre-paid debit card who can tell me what proof of identity
or address they require when you apply online? Also how you provided such proof i.e. scan and email documents.
Don't want to go any further with an application to find I can't provide what they are asking for or some such thing.

Thanks in advance

All that is asked for is the name etc. of your loading bank, home address and email address, no proof is asked for as there is no risk to them as they are holding your money and not offering credit. If my memory serves me correctly all you have to initially load on to your card is £10.
Its a great euro card to carry as its simple to use with no charges made when using in a euro zone.:)

edsa
11-07-2011, 09:09
Thank you ecky thump, that's what I needed to know. I am going to the US for a month and am looking for an easier way of sorting spends out than the tried and tested cash and travelers cheques method.
It looks like it may be an advantage to get a euro card too now that a certain bank in uk has started charging for getting cash out of uk account.

If by any chance someone on the forum has used this card in the US I would be grateful if they could share their experience, good or bad.

wen53
12-07-2011, 00:54
I have a FairFX Euro card and if it is as easy to use in the US as it is in the eurozone then you should have no problems. I even forgot my pin and they sorted it out for me within an half an hour.

williethetim
12-07-2011, 07:45
All that is asked for is the name etc. of your loading bank, home address and email address, no proof is asked for as there is no risk to them as they are holding your money and not offering credit. If my memory serves me correctly all you have to initially load on to your card is £10.
Its a great euro card to carry as its simple to use with no charges made when using in a euro zone.:)

i have recently applied and there is a euro zone fee now £1.50 per ATM transaction , i got a rate of 1.1025 and a payment back of £5 for loading initially £500..
heres my transaction if it helps...
You have bought: €551.25 Euros
(at the FairFX Rate of £1 = €1.1025
Which cost: £500.00
Discount Voucher: - £5.00
Total: £495.00 Pounds Sterling

Jar
06-08-2011, 09:23
Thank you ecky thump, that's what I needed to know. I am going to the US for a month and am looking for an easier way of sorting spends out than the tried and tested cash and travelers cheques method.
It looks like it may be an advantage to get a euro card too now that a certain bank in uk has started charging for getting cash out of uk account.
If by any chance someone on the forum has used this card in the US I would be grateful if they could share their experience, good or bad.

Which UK bank has started charging for taking money out of UK account.

Ecky Thump
26-04-2017, 11:47
Any updates on which Debit Card is the best to use and charges made in Tenerife, or worldwide.

On a earlier post, it was stated that CaxtonFX charge for using ATM's in Tenerife, this is definitely wrong, it could be that it was the operating company of the ATM that made the charge.

fixer
26-04-2017, 16:00
Still got my Caxton used in Australia as you say no charge from caxton.

lsmt971
26-04-2017, 16:47
I've never bothered with a pre paid card before as I assumed there were always charges!

So in theory, I could get a caxton card, pre load it and pay for meals etc without charge?

Also does anyonw know if there are actually many atm's in Tenerife (Adeje) that would supply cash without charge?

Ecky Thump
26-04-2017, 17:03
I've never bothered with a pre paid card before as I assumed there were always charges!

So in theory, I could get a caxton card, pre load it and pay for meals etc without charge?

Also does anyonw know if there are actually many atm's in Tenerife (Adeje) that would supply cash without charge?

Yes, with a Caxton prepaid debit card you will be able to pay for your meals, shopping etc. with the card and not incur any extra charges.
As long as the ATM is operated by one of the major banks in Adele, for example la Caixa, Santander, BBVA you won't be charged and you should be able to get a receipt for your transaction.

There is a app for Caxton and from this you can keep a check on your balance, find your PIN number (if you forget it) and load you card.

lsmt971
27-04-2017, 08:54
Thanks mate. I'll look into this.

Ecky Thump
27-04-2017, 09:08
Thanks mate. I'll look into this.

In the words of Derek Trotter....... YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE" :D

lsmt971
27-04-2017, 10:15
Haha. I've ordered a card, just threw a tenner on it for now.

When I'm over there am I ok to withdraw Euros free (if the ATM'r free) or do I need to withdraw stirling and exchange to Euros at the store?

Ecky Thump
27-04-2017, 10:27
Haha. I've ordered a card, just threw a tenner on it for now.

When I'm over there am I ok to withdraw Euros free (if the ATM'r free) or do I need to withdraw stirling and exchange to Euros at the store?

When you have loaded your Euro card in the UK it is converted into Euro's at the rate of the day, so if for example you have a balance of €500, when you withdraw money at a ATM it will automatically be in Euro's and the same applies when paying for a meal or general purchases. There is no need for any further conversion from £ to €.

If you do run short of Euro's when on holiday you can load more £'s into your Caxton card, it only takes seconds to do.

Did you order a secondary card for your wife/partner/money grabbing kids!? I ordered one for Carol55 (wife) as a safeguard in case I lost or forgot mine.

lsmt971
27-04-2017, 10:31
When you have loaded your Euro card in the UK it is converted into Euro's at the rate of the day, so if for example you have a balance of €500, when you withdraw money at a ATM it will automatically be in Euro's and the same applies when paying for a meal or general purchases.

If you do run short of Euro's when on holiday you can load more £'s into your Caxton card, it only takes seconds to do.

Did you order a secondary card for your wife/partner/money grabbing kids!? I ordered one for Carol55 (wife) as a safeguard in case I lost or forgot mine.

I did think about ordering her one but we're all inclusive this year and will be together at when shopping etc so probably won't need one (all the better haha).

Ecky Thump
27-04-2017, 10:36
I did think about ordering her one but we're all inclusive this year and will be together at when shopping etc so probably won't need one (all the better haha).

When my son and his wife go abroad on holiday into a Eurozone country, they take my card with them, just in case of a emergency.....but, I do a daily check on my balance incase he thinks that paying a bar bill with it constitutes an emergency.:drinking:

Tshirt
27-04-2017, 10:49
Definitely order one for your other half, I had mine nicked but because the wife had one we still had access to cash. We use Caxton.

lsmt971
27-04-2017, 10:50
He must be a good lad!

I think you're probably right though as having a second card would be a lot less hassle than if I only had one and lost it. Which is possible after a few:drunk2::drunk2::drunk2:http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/images/smilies/tenerife-forum-drunk-smiley.gif

barryk
27-04-2017, 12:54
Hi
You can also switch balances, i.e. change from say euro to dollar etc. Useful for post #3 in this thread.
Barryk

Ecky Thump
27-04-2017, 12:58
CaxtonFX are currently (12:55) offering €1.1575 to the £ when you load their Euro Debit Card.

This is approximately the same rate that you will get in a Tenerife money exchange shop.

Reports courtesy of CaxtonFX

Yesterday's Market Highlights

Sterling was in demand yesterday, returning above 1.1800 against the euro and again testing 1.2900 against the dollar in overnight trading. Sterling has benefited recently from expectations that the Conservative Party will win the June snap elections.

The dollar weakened on the release of Trump’s tax plans, which contained no surprises and was light on details.

The Canadian dollar was under pressure against the pound yesterday, in part as Retail Sales declined in February. The loonie briefly jumped overnight after US President Trump said he would renegotiate rather than terminate NAFTA

Today's Market Highlights

The calendar picks up today. The Eurozone releases Economic Sentiment Indicator and Consumer Confidence data (10:00 BST) ahead of the ECB interest rate decision (12:45 BST). The press conference (13:30 BST) often prompts volatility in the euro.

The ECB is expected to keep monetary policy on hold but markets will pay close attention to President Draghi’s comments and guidance following the French elections and slower inflation.

In particular, markets will look for any signals that the ECB could further taper policy sooner than previously expected, which would strengthen the euro. If those expectations are disappointed and the ECB focuses on low underlying inflation, the euro could weaken.

In the afternoon, slower US Durable Goods Orders could weigh on the dollar (13:30 BST) ahead of initial Q1 GDP estimates tomorrow. Weekly Initial Jobless Claims are forecast to dip from 244K to 241K. Pending Home Sales are forecast to have declined from February to March (15:00 BST).

Oops wrong thread!:D