PDA

View Full Version : What's the best value car hire in south Tenerife?

tenerifegal
12-07-2011, 15:05
Were looking for a cheap car hire for 3 weeks anyone know of a good place in the south thanks

AL JAY
12-07-2011, 15:52
This question pops up very regular and the majority on here suggest Autoreisen at TFS Airport,here's a link!

http://www.autoreisen.es/ingles/tenerife_car_hire.php?origen=Adwords&camp=TfInRcAer&oficina_recogida=2&OVKEY=car%20rental%20tenerife%20airport&gclid=CML2yMGG_KkCFUwc4QoduUhSYA

princessmonika
12-07-2011, 16:51
autoreisen at the airport thats what i do

canary boy
12-07-2011, 18:40
I booked today through Orcar(Autoresien in disguise) and got the car €90 cheaper than Autoreisen:eyebrows::eyebrows::crazy::crazy:

uptowngirl
12-07-2011, 18:56
drop us an email with your requirements and we can see what we can do

info@tenerifesunshine.com

dokgolf
12-07-2011, 20:27
Were looking for a cheap car hire for 3 weeks anyone know of a good place in the south thanks

If you have kids I'd recommend Cicar, the y dont charge anything extra for boosters/child seats.

Dan747
12-07-2011, 21:00
I tried Cicar on my visit last month, have to say I was impressed overall with them, I had picked up the car keys before the cases had even arrived and the car was pretty new and amazingly without any damage! The price is all inclusive, no damage deposits, they also don't do the 'pay a fortune for a full tank of fuel' business, you return it with the same amount that was in it, although you do leave a 9 euro deposit for the fuel which you can get back when you return the car.

You can always check on holidayautos to see the cheapest deals, although check the terms as some are sneaky with their fuel payments etc.

princessmonika
13-07-2011, 07:01
canary boy what did you pay a week thanks

dokgolf
13-07-2011, 12:15
Last time we got a 5 door Opel Astra with 2 booster seats and one child seat for 2 weeks for 310 euro with Cicar.

canary boy
13-07-2011, 13:24
Ouch!!! €310 you were had! Just booked astra or similar size for two weeks with booster seat(August) for €185 all in no add ons no paying for full tank just the rate qouted!

dokgolf
13-07-2011, 14:50
Ouch!!! €310 you were had! Just booked astra or similar size for two weeks with booster seat(August) for €185 all in no add ons no paying for full tank just the rate qouted!

Really, no charge for the booster seats? I thought that only Cicar did that? Many thanks, I'll know better next time!

Was that with Orcar because I've just tried them and can only get a Group C car for 268.80 ( still cheaper though)

dixie4
18-08-2011, 19:35
I have normally used Orcar for car hire and been pleased. However, I did a routine Google search and came up with Plus Car at an unbelievable 100 euro cheaper for the three weeks.

The insurance cover seems to be the same, similar car and you do not pay until you pick up the car.

Is there a catch? Anyone used Plus cars recently?

fixer
18-08-2011, 23:32
Autoriessen cheaper than this company for my dates and pick up from airport no paying for a tank of petrol dont know anything about this company. David

chris
18-08-2011, 23:37
I can't find plus cars on the internet?

I can't find plus cars on the internet?

sorry found it

Added after 10 minutes:

yep your right just checked for 1 months car hire starting Jan 22nd 2012 and it came out like this:

517.03 euro Autoriessen

434.24 euro Plus cars

timmylish
19-08-2011, 02:07
Is it TJ,s?

Added after 4 minutes:

Nope. Just found them on 2nd page of Google! In all my time here I,ve never come across this company. Offices are in Chafiras!

CIM
19-08-2011, 02:30
What Google search did you actually do that brought up this company?

dixie4
19-08-2011, 04:46

I just Googled Car hire Tenerife and up came Plus Car. In common with others I have never heard of them before.

100€ is a substantial saving they say that collection and return at the airport is fine and the car will be a near new Hyundai 110 or the latest Panda both 5 door with air con and power steering. Perfect for the two of us.

I can not see how I can ignore it.

I do not know how they do the fuel thing. Autoriesen/Orcars' system of just leave it as you find it is perfect.

I have emailed Plus Car for confirmation on a couple of points but so far no reply.

Added after 7 minutes:

I have noticed that one of Plus cars' adverts came up on one of my postings.

I just Googled Car hire Tenerife and up came Plus Car. In common with others I have never heard of them before.

100€ is a substantial saving they say that collection and return at the airport is fine and the car will be a near new Hyundai 110 or the latest Panda both 5 door with air con and power steering. Perfect for the two of us.

I can not see how I can ignore it.

I do not know how they do the fuel thing. Autoriesen/Orcars' system of just leave it as you find it is perfect.

I have emailed Plus Car for confirmation on a couple of points but so far no reply.

Added after 7 minutes:

I have noticed that one of Plus cars' adverts came up on one of my postings.

Added after 37 minutes:

Now I am confused. Auto Europe are offerring a VW Polo for the same price as the Plus Car Hyundai. Still saving 100€.

What is going on at Autoriesen/Orcar their pricing seems up the creek.

Is Autoreisen/Orcar now pricing themselves out of the market?

I think so, a small car costing 400€ for three weeks is way too much.

Last year they were charging less than 100€ a week for a Focus (which turned out to be a Skoda Estate on collection but a cracking car all the same).

casabonny
19-08-2011, 14:22
They seem to be a new company on the island but perhaps not in Spain.At present they seem okay with prices etc , but this might just be to attract custom .I will investigage and see if I cna find out anymore about them,

sgd
19-08-2011, 14:33
They have many offices in Lanzarote and (I think) Fuerteventura, I have not personally used them, but they were recommended to me whilst in Costa Teguise.

dixie4
20-08-2011, 12:22
A quick update:

Today I have received an email back from Autos Plus Car. They confirm that it is meet and greet and hand over of the car with a full tank at the exit to the customs hall.
Therefore no minibus trip which is what I suspected. They have also confirmed that their price includes full comprehensive insurance inc CDW and payment by card is at pick up. So I think the offer is too good to miss. I hope that the price does not go up when they confirm the reservation or am I being too cynical?

I would like to thank all who answered my original enquiry sadly no one who answered had actually used them. I will report back in due course.

Goforgold
20-08-2011, 16:19
A quick update:

Today I have received an email back from Autos Plus Car. They confirm that it is meet and greet and hand over of the car with a full tank at the exit to the customs hall.
Therefore no minibus trip which is what I suspected. They have also confirmed that their price includes full comprehensive insurance inc CDW and payment by card is at pick up. So I think the offer is too good to miss. I hope that the price does not go up when they confirm the reservation or am I being too cynical?

I would like to thank all who answered my original enquiry sadly no one who answered had actually used them. I will report back in due course.

Let us know how you get on - I haven't booked our car for October yet so am very interested.

dixie4
20-08-2011, 18:17
Hi Gofogold,

I take it by now that you have seen my updates.

They do not have any cars for the dates I require.

However, all is not lost, another company is quoting 20 euros cheaper again for the same car. Guess what, it is Plus car under another name, 5Star. A bit like Autoriesen/Orcar.

No good for me but you should be OK for October. Don't forget you do not pay until you arrive.

Goforgold
20-08-2011, 18:21
Hi Gofogold,

I take it by now that you have seen my updates.

They do not have any cars for the dates I require.

However, all is not lost, another company is quoting 20 euros cheaper again for the same car. Guess what, it is Plus car under another name, 5Star. A bit like Autoriesen/Orcar.

No good for me but you should be OK for October. Don't forget you do not pay until you arrive.

Thanks for the info Dixie4, I'll go on line later tonight and take a look - I needed to get something booked so this has given me the nudge I need!! :)

dixie4
21-08-2011, 06:05
Finally I have secured my car hire for three weeks at what I consider is a fantastic price with comprehensive insurance cover. I have booked with 5Star car hire.
It struck me as a little wierd because Plus Car told me they had no cars available for my dates but 2 hours later 5 Star confirmed my booking. 5 Star and Plus Car are the same company and both emails were from the same guy.

The experience of trawling the internet for car hirers in Tenerife has shown me that there are vast differences in price, terms and conditions and the company who was the best value a few months ago is one of the dearest at this time of the year. So I am saying it is buyer beware.

The following are some of my other findings:

Most companies want paying up front, some do not.

Some advertise price matching but go strangely quiet or come up with silly excuses when taken to task.

The dearer and bigger hirers have the poorest cover on insurance.

Only two companies offered me fully comprehensive insurance within their rates at no charge and these were the cheapest hirers in the first place. All the others wanted extra fees ranging from an extra 30€ to 135€ for comprehensive cover.

Hidden in one companys' terms and conditions it stated that any damage incurred they could impose a 1000€ fine! so watch the small print.

dixie4
21-08-2011, 20:46
I have quoted the wrong name. The car hire company name is 5Car not 5Star sorry for any confusion.

Goforgold
21-08-2011, 21:42
I have quoted the wrong name. The car hire company name is 5Car not 5Star sorry for any confusion.

Glad you've just put that on, 'cos I couldn't find 5Star, so came back to check your thread!! :)

Can't five 5Car either :(

dixie4
21-08-2011, 22:03
The web site address is: www.5cars.es/tenerife.

Goforgold
21-08-2011, 22:08
Thanks very much Dixie4 - :)

Just checked the two sites you recommended and they both came out at 149.27 euro for a small airconditioned car for 11 days. :)

TrueBlueAngel
22-08-2011, 21:15
I've booked my car hire through Autoreisen and just discovered they only accept payment with a credit card (which we dont have) and not with a Visa debit card (which we do have)! We have a Thomas Cook passport Mastercard though. Not everyone has or wants a credit card! Its the only company that has an automatic car, which we need.

Can anyone advise please or recommend another company? Looks like I'm going to have to cancel this car.

Jackie
22-08-2011, 21:19
I've booked my car hire through Autoreisen and just discovered they only accept payment with a credit card (which we dont have) and not with a Visa debit card (which we do have)! We have a Thomas Cook passport Mastercard though. Not everyone has or wants a credit card! Its the only company that has an automatic car, which we need.

Can anyone advise please or recommend another company? Looks like I'm going to have to cancel this car.

Autoreisen DO accept debit cards, my husband hires from them regularly every couple of months and has always paid with a debit card, unless this has all changed within the last three weeks because that was the last time he hired from them:confused:

TrueBlueAngel
22-08-2011, 21:49
Autoreisen DO accept debit cards, my husband hires from them regularly every couple of months and has always paid with a debit card, unless this has all changed within the last three weeks because that was the last time he hired from them:confused:

Thanks, I've emailed them asking to confirm but their website clearly says they do not accept debit cards.

TrueBlueAngel
23-08-2011, 18:28

Jackie, they have denied that they accept debit cards, only credit cards :( despite my saying I had it on good authority ;) So I guess I'm looking elsewhere as I'm not taking the risk with them. Thanks anyway.

lesbroz
23-08-2011, 22:58
Jackie, they have denied that they accept debit cards, only credit cards :( despite my saying I had it on good authority ;) So I guess I'm looking elsewhere as I'm not taking the risk with them. Thanks anyway.

I have paid Auto Reisen with my debit card in the past, but when I tried to use it again in June, they refused and said I must use a credit card.

BobMac
23-08-2011, 23:24
Looks like they have changed this.

Their website now states - Payment will be made by credit card in our offices at the time of withdrawing the vehicle.

slodgedad
23-08-2011, 23:44
I have paid Auto Reisen with my debit card in the past, but when I tried to use it again in June, they refused and said I must use a credit card.
My son had the same problem when he arrived.

He had already paid for the car on line but when he arrived they demanded a Credit Card before they released the car.

As he didn't have one he asked for his money back and was told he had to apply on line.

This was two months ago and he is still waiting.

It's becoming apparent that they all want a credit card.

Shame really

TrueBlueAngel
24-08-2011, 07:53
Then theyre going to lose a lot of customers :(

onelegnofeet
24-08-2011, 09:33
I use "Daughter & Partner " ................lol though sometimes i wonder if its really that cheap ???:D:D

monet208
26-08-2011, 15:15
Hi
Found plus car a 5 car for end oct to mid november as expensive as autoreisen which have ususlly been the best price as fuel is return with what you start and no extras for insurance or driver 2

getting better prices with car hire 3000 and auto europe but do not know which companies they use at TFS if anyone does - also whats their fuel policies ????????????

fixer
26-08-2011, 15:33
Hi
Found plus car a 5 car for end oct to mid november as expensive as autoreisen which have ususlly been the best price as fuel is return with what you start and no extras for insurance or driver 2

getting better prices with car hire 3000 and auto europe but do not know which companies they use at TFS if anyone does - also whats their fuel policies ????????????
Used them ended up off airport with orlando and had to pay for a tank of fuel have you ever tryed to use a full tank and bring it back empty impossable never again Autoreisen for me every time. David

monet208
26-08-2011, 17:26
Carhire 3000 and autoeurope are a buy a full tank on arrival and extra for 2nd driver and cdw so definitely autoreisen again for us as we have had several hasle free years with them
What we have noticed is that for the last 2 years they have upped their november prices and whilst used to be similar to june prices are now 10/15% more expensive But all in all still the best VFM

dixie4
26-08-2011, 17:27
Dates seem to play a large part when it comes down to prices. For me Plus Car came out best in August.

Plus Car have the same policy as Autoriesen regarding fuel, leave it as you found it, also free second driver, free booster seat if required.

Autoriesen wanted 404 euros, Plus Car 263 euros could not say no at that saving.

I was met in the arrivals hall, car was in the airport car park. The paperwork and payment was done at the car. Car supplied was a brand new Fiat Qupo, can not fault them so far.

wendy1950
09-11-2011, 18:13
Hi
I am new on here, I have been a member of another main land Spain forum for years and know what a great help they can be, we are coming to Tenerife for a week next Tuesday and think we need to hire a car (staying at Golf de sur) does anyone know a good reasonable priced place to hire one I have looked at the web sites but I know "on the ground" info is much better we only need a small car (would like 4 doors though) and want the fuel to be full full or as picked up for return, also full insurance for the excess things that seem to be missing on rentals lately, any info would be great
Thanks in Advance
Wendy
PS sorry if this is not in the right place as I said new on here xx

BobMac
09-11-2011, 18:16
Best value for money are Autoreisen, they have a desk in the arrivals hall at TFS

You book on-line at www.autoreisen.es , pay when you pick the car up and bring it back with the same amount of fuel you had at pick up.

The price you see on-line is what you pay all-inclusive.

wendy1950
09-11-2011, 18:37
Thank you
Sorry to be a pest I need to know about the insurance is this including things like tyres keys windscreen and underside etc on the mainland you have to pay extra for this now although they do say "all inclusive"
TIA

BobMac
09-11-2011, 18:48
Thank you
Sorry to be a pest I need to know about the insurance is this including things like tyres keys windscreen and underside etc on the mainland you have to pay extra for this now although they do say "all inclusive"
TIA

Extracted from their terms & Conditions

Our rates include:

Taxes (IGIC or IVA) included.
Unlimited mileage.
Free additional driver.
Free airport service.
Free cancellation or modification of the reservation.
Insurances.
Collision Damage Waiver (SUPER CDW with no excess).
Theft protection (TP).
Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)
Third party coverage.

The insurance does not cover the following cases:

Damages to the rims, tyres and underside of the car.
Fines, loss or damage of keys, wrong refuelling.
Accidents related to reckless driving, driving under the influence of alcohol or other drugs
Off road driving.

I don't think their are many hire companies who will quote you with full inclusive insurance to cover that

wendy1950
09-11-2011, 19:00
Thanks they do on the mainland just some include it and some charge extra, I don't mind paying the extra, I have seen to many renters with punctures or lost keys that have paid ridiculously high prices for these, think I will email a few (including your recommendation thank you) to see what they will do
Thanks again
Wendy

garlicbread
09-11-2011, 19:38
A friend of mine hired from PLUS CARS this week www.autospluscar.com and paid 94.99 for 7 days a Hyundai i10 in perfect condition. Their terms are exactly as for Autoreisen quoted in an earlier post, a company both I and friends have used in the past as they've always been the cheapest. Lookslike PlusCar could be a good competitor.

However as Wendy mentioned in her last post watch out for extras. My friend mislaid his keys and they wouldn't let me have another set for him until I paid 100 euros for a replacement , they didn't want to take a credit card for this but eventually agreed seeing that they had already handed me the key when I told 'em I didn't carry cash !!!

He's now found the original keys so they will refund the 100 euros when we take the car back.

LYoung
18-11-2011, 17:59
I am looking for an economical car hire company in the South of Tenerife. Please let me know if you have any good suggestions. Thank you.

chris
18-11-2011, 18:05
I am looking for an economical car hire company in the South of Tenerife. Please let me know if you have any good suggestions. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum

BobMac
18-11-2011, 18:10
Autoreisen are usually very good value, have a look at their web site - www.autoreisen.es

garlicbread
18-11-2011, 18:16

Look on this thread

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?5881-What-s-the-best-value-Car-Hire-in-south-Tenerife&highlight=hire

LYoung
18-11-2011, 18:35
Thank you for your quick responce! I have just checked out the price for 11 days and it comes to 207euros. Would you say this is the cheapest option available?

Added after 1 17 minutes:

I found 5 Cars Tenerife the cheapest option. 150euros for 11 days! Nice price :D

jogger321
18-11-2011, 22:09
Thank you for your quick responce! I have just checked out the price for 11 days and it comes to 207euros. Would you say this is the cheapest option available?

Added after 1 17 minutes:

I found 5 Cars Tenerife the cheapest option. 150euros for 11 days! Nice price :D

Just be careful that the "nice price" does not turn out to be such a good deal when they hit you for all the "extra's" when you go to pick up the car e.g CWD ...The good thing about Autoreisen is the price they quote is the end price!!

LYoung
18-11-2011, 22:14
Thank you for the advise, will check it out.

markcuk
18-11-2011, 23:34
Autoreisen no good for me though not had licence 3 years!:crying2:

dixie4
21-11-2011, 15:45
5 Cars is the same format as Autoreisen. All inclusive insurance, fuel as you find it etc. The difference was that the car was vastly superior and clean. A great company, charged me £223 for three weeks in August. Can not beat it.

Submariner
12-03-2012, 13:55
Hi i will be in Las Americas for two weeks at the end of March beginning of April and was wondering where in Las Americas is the best place to hire a car for around three days.

emskie
12-03-2012, 14:49
Tenerife sunshine have an offer for 3 days at the moment 75 euros all insurance included.

hopey
04-04-2012, 09:27
Hi,
We are over in 3 weeks and are thinking of hiring a car for the first time. Autoreisen sound good but just have some questions. If we just walk into the office in Las Americas would we get a similar price as pre booking on internet? Could we pick up at Las Americas office and drop off at airport? And finally my dad is thinking of hiring one when he comes out in May, are there any age limits as he is 77?

Thanks
Hopey

dixie4
04-04-2012, 11:08
Hopey,

To receive a definitive answer I think your questions would be better placed direct via Autoreisens web site. They are perfectly approachable by email and answer quickly.

Personally I have always hired airport to airport which is best for me. It is great that they have an office airside so you can collect the keys etc. whilst waiting for your cases.
I have rarely had to wait long.

Cars are a little rough round the edges sometimes but mechanically sound. A no hassel company in my eyes.

5 cars are better but it takes longer and they do not have the cars when wanted.

hopey
04-04-2012, 12:07
Thanks dixie4 I will send them an email.

One last question, we will be staying in Las Americas and was thinking of parking on the car park by Mcdonalds near Santiago 1 and the Conquistador Hotel, are there any restrictions to parking as I've never seen any meters etc round there, could we leave it there all day?

Thanks
Hopey

Vortex Wake
04-04-2012, 12:27
I recommend Auroreisen for a hassle free car hire.

Pick up from the airport - saves a taxi ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOGQ2j86t08

Added after 3 Hours 10 minutes:

And if you are not sure of the route from Autoreisen to Los Cristianos :

This is my video from TFS to Los Cristianos - look out for the Mini at 1:38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRp-rKcmDiM

Su1
04-04-2012, 17:38
Regarding Autoreisen, we have recently hired cars in January and March and both cars were pretty new - we were 'upgraded' froma C3 to an Ibiza both times..hope they do the same next week when the three weeks car hire will cost us about 211 Euros.

dolmard
01-05-2012, 16:26
Regarding Autoreisen, we have recently hired cars in January and March and both cars were pretty new - we were 'upgraded' froma C3 to an Ibiza both times..hope they do the same next week when the three weeks car hire will cost us about 211 Euros.

259 euros for 3 weeks in july with Orcar/Autoreisen (basic car). Do you know if i can expect to pay less later ?

tfs1
01-05-2012, 17:25
Dolmard, maybe pay less or maybe more ! - I would make the booking now and if it goes up - you win, if it goes down make a new booking at the lower price.

I have just replaced a previous booking with a new one as the cost has gone down a few Euros. Maybe not much money but it all helps !

Chris

dolmard
01-05-2012, 18:32
I went to El Teide with the basic car from autoreisen without any problem it was a Citroen C2. Do you mean that sometimes autoreisen rent some banger ? Last time the car was in good shape not new but ok and as far as i remember with not too much kilometers old.

The road was Los Cristianos/Vilaflor/Teide. This summer it will be the road Tamaimo/Chio/Teide is this road more difficult ?

slodgedad
02-05-2012, 00:32
259 euros for 3 weeks in july with Orcar/Autoreisen (basic car). Do you know if i can expect to pay less later ?

For that price I'd get it booked now..10 quid a day from a reputable company....No contest..

(My personal opinion and does not reflect my status on the Forum)

tfs1
02-05-2012, 06:47
When booking I suggest you put in the times you are going to pickup and return to get accurate price.

I checked out a price and left the collect/return at the default 10.00 time for both. I then put in my actual times, collect 1400 and return 1600, the price came down 5 Euros !

Chris

dixie4
02-05-2012, 08:42
Talking about variations in price regarding car hire, if you book through Orcar, which is a partner company of Autoreisen, the price is always slightly cheaper in my experience. It is the same reception desk and they give you Autoreisen paperwork.

I agree with Slodgedad book it now, through Orcar, it will go up later for sure.

tfs1
02-05-2012, 09:14
Dixie4, do you go to Autoreisen location in the carpark or do Orcar have their own cars. You are correct re price for a booking I have made it is a few euros less.

Do they do the same as Autoreisen regarding fuel - ie return with the same amount as it was when you pick up the car.

Chris

dixie4
02-05-2012, 19:04
Dixie4, do you go to Autoreisen location in the carpark or do Orcar have their own cars. You are correct re price for a booking I have made it is a few euros less.

Do they do the same as Autoreisen regarding fuel - ie return with the same amount as it was when you pick up the car.

Chris

The Autoreisen office on the car park is, as far as I know, is just a reception for returning cars. The office is in the arrivals hall and baggage claim (double sided). Book through Orcar and you get exactly what you would receive from Autoreisen including the same rules regarding fuel and insurance. All paperwork is Autoreisen they no longer have different cars for Orcar as far as I am aware.

tfs1
02-05-2012, 21:23
frrom what I can see Orcar have a slightly smaller choice of cards than Autoresien but if you just want a normal car Orcars will fit the bill.

bolton 1 - spurs 3 !!!

Su1
02-05-2012, 22:46

Hi
I have just booked Sept and that is also 259 Euros...this looks like their current rate for a C3...or 'similar'. I am currently in Tenerife and have an AR hire car.....'upgraded' to a fiesta. Book now but keep checking prices. I cancelled this current booking three times and re booked.....eventually got the car for 190 Euros.....down from 211!!!Couldnever do that in school hols!
Depending when you are going in July will make a difference..... school holidays and the price maygo up ..it all depends on demand. We have always had cars in good condition......and they get up them their hills even fully loaded.....however we have always booked the C3 category.
Have a great time in Tenerife when you get here!

dolmard
16-05-2012, 10:53
As i wrote in another topic you can have cheaper price than Orcar if you're flying with ryanair. But with all the extras it's not a good deal.

3 weeks in july with Orcar : 259€, free 2nd driver, free baby seat.

3 weeks in july with Hertz/Ryanair partnership : 148€ but compulsory fuel charge (around 50€ i bet but nothing sure), 60€ baby seat and 80€ for the second driver. So around 340€...

If you have no kid and don't need another driver when you come back from the pub late at night it can be a good deal.

Personnaly i will stand to Orcar/Autoreisen.

Su1
16-05-2012, 16:09
If the total price for Hertz is cheaper than AR or Orcar, then e-mail them and say so.....last time I did that i was told to look at the revised prices on line......AR had lowered their prices to beat thier competitors!
I agree with the post above with AR and Orcar there are NO addtional costs added when you collect the car and you get FULLY comprehensive insurance with no excess.
Orcar and AR are the same company with the same terms and conditions of hire. checked this with the desk when picking up our last car in April/May.
(I should be on a commission for AR!!!)

Lady
16-05-2012, 18:38
Dont want to collect car from airport am going to hire mid holiday.
Where do you collect car from i am staying in Los Cristianos up cardiac hill.
Thanks in advance

dolmard
28-05-2012, 11:01
Do you know this company : http://www.tenerifecarrentals.net/prices ?

dixie4
28-05-2012, 15:26
Yes, I have used Tenerife lease cars.

Last January I hired an Opel Corsa from them for a month and it cost me 250€ up front.
The car was a few years old but perfectly OK and ran like a watch. Maybe the interior could have been a little cleaner if I was being a bit picky.
They met me at the airport nice and promptly, we did some paperwork for the insurance in the car park and off we went.
Fuel was the usual, leave it as you found it which in my case was 1/4 full.
No problems what so ever.

CIM
28-05-2012, 15:30
Do you know this company : http://www.tenerifecarrentals.net/prices ?
I know the owner of that one too. His names Stuart - nice bloke. I own the actual domain - nothing to do with the actual car rentals though!
He seems quite busy and has lots of regulars so must be doing something right. I rented a car off him for a couple of weeks when I had family over and everything was fine.

dolmard
27-06-2012, 09:17
Today it's now 172 € for 3 weeks with Orcar... Unbeatable price !

carpenter
27-06-2012, 11:05
Today it's now 172 € for 3 weeks with Orcar... Unbeatable price !

Good price.

http://www.arcarhire.com is €176.22 for 21 days picking up tomorrow.

They have an airport office and you pick your car up from the airport unlike some other companies who arrange a free transfer from the airport to their depot. That just eats into your holiday.

Channie
09-07-2012, 19:59
Thought i'd drop this here as i don't want to clog up the board. Me and the girlfriend are looking to hire a car mid-holiday to drive to Loro Parque and Teide. We are staying at the Cleopatra Palace in Playa De Las Americas, where would be the best option for us to hire from? Hired from Hertz for a day the last time we was in Tenerife and i payed a bomb. After reading this thread i've seen you can get some pretty good deals. We would prob only be hiring for 2 days if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Chris and Anna

Vortex Wake
09-07-2012, 21:28
Thought i'd drop this here as i don't want to clog up the board. Me and the girlfriend are looking to hire a car mid-holiday to drive to Loro Parque and Teide. We are staying at the Cleopatra Palace in Playa De Las Americas, where would be the best option for us to hire from? Hired from Hertz for a day the last time we was in Tenerife and i payed a bomb. After reading this thread i've seen you can get some pretty good deals. We would prob only be hiring for 2 days if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Chris and Anna

If your holiday is for a week , and you are paying taxi transfers from the airport (€25 each way) , it might pay to hire a car from the airport for the week at around €80 .

Autoreisen car hire operate from Tenerife South Airport .
:)

Channie
09-07-2012, 21:55
We are there for 10 days, and have already had transfers sorted through our booking agent. But thanks. :)

Andy777
09-07-2012, 22:14
Damm! Just book transfer at £30 each when we could have had a car for 9 days for £30 more!!!
Live and learn!

Iona
17-05-2013, 10:42
I am going to Tenerife for one week in July and I am flying into the South airport. I have looked up quotes for AR/orcar, plus car and 5car. AR/orcar and plus car were the exact same price. From what I've read, plus car have nicer cars but they aren't based at the airport whereas AR/orcar are based at the airport but their cars can be a bit rough around the edges. Other than that, I can't see any other differences between the companies.

At the moment I am leaning towards plus car as it's the same price as AR but they (supposedly) have nicer cars. Has anyone hired a car from them before? Was your experience good? Was it a problem that their office wasn't based at the airport? Did you have to wait long for the car?

Any feedback would be very appreciated!! :)

Su1
17-05-2013, 11:51
I would go with AR ..they have just been recommended by Which ? magazine too. We had an Opel Corsa from AR up til yesterday when I returned home. A great car, although we do like the C3 too. The cars are not that bad believe me......we hire form them at least six times a year. We were considering buying our own car but decided AR are currently such good value and the cars are reliable etc. We have had pretty 'new' cars from AR too.....depends when they update their stock.

Kinney61
17-05-2013, 15:41
We use plus car every time. Pick up at airport, leave same amount of petrol in car when you drop it off, great price and no hassle....even when we had a bit of a run in with another car at a roundabout, they were very helpful.

Iona
17-05-2013, 16:00
I have emailed plus car about tyre punctures and whether we are covered if someone crashes into us but they haven't replied yet. Did you have to pay anything when you had the run in with the other car? Also, how long did you have to wait at the airport for the car?

Kinney61
17-05-2013, 16:49
We didn't have to pay anything. We had minor scratches and a small dent on the front wing. I was very surprised, they just waved us away and said all was ok! the police had contacted them to advise them it was the other drivers fault and she was uninsured. I guess they thought the damage was so minimul it wasn't worth chaseing. At the airport you have to walk to the back of the car park and there is a covered seating area where you wait for the car. It can be anything from 5 minutes to half an hour.

murph
18-05-2013, 00:38
Interested in reading this thread with relation to the cost of transfers vs hiring a car and the value of the difference

I followed the thread's advice and logged onto Autoreisen and accidentally put in July date instead instead of August

Price in July 136 Euros, price in July 234 Euros

So it's not just the airlines who rip off in the School Holidays!

dixie4
18-05-2013, 04:20
Iona,
I have had experience of both Plus car/5 Cars and Autoreisen/Orcar. (Strangely Orcar is always a few Euros cheaper, same cars same office).

First Autoreisen, admittedly I have had a few rough cars from them in the past. I recall a Fiesta that looked like it had been in a banger race, dents and scrapes all over. But having said that I have to say mechanically reliable but not very clean.
I have just returned from the Island and during my time there they supplied a Seat Ibiza 1.4 at 123€ for 12 days and it was the best car ever couldn't fault it in anyway, luck of the draw maybe.
Plus Car on the other hand do not have the range and quantity of cars so recently I have found that they do not have cars available when required. Their prices and terms and conditions are virtually identical to Autoreisen i.e. payment, petrol, insurance, free second driver etc. As for meeting at the airport, no problem there either. I phoned them when landing and they met me at the exit by the Santander cash machine, walked across to the car park, signed the forms, paid and off we went.
The car at that time was brand new and superb.
Both great companies and I would confidently use either although I would tend to be drawn to Autoreisen because as a returning customer you get an automatic car upgrade and it is simply sign here, pay and go within a few minutes whilst waiting for your bags at the carousel. The big thing is they are not very fussy when you return the car with a few extra bumper scuffs from other Spanish drivers who can not park to save their lives!
The final choice is yours.
Best of luck on your jollies.

9PLUS
18-05-2013, 08:46

Thats the first thing they drill into you at business school Murph - Charge more when you're busy.

murph
18-05-2013, 17:44
Thats the first thing they drill into you at business school Murph - Charge more when you're busy.

I understand that, but I am completely fed up of being beaten with the same stick by different organisations for the last 20 years!
:crying2:

Su1
19-05-2013, 16:03
Interested in reading this thread with relation to the cost of transfers vs hiring a car and the value of the difference

I followed the thread's advice and logged onto Autoreisen and accidentally put in July date instead instead of August

Price in July 136 Euros, price in July 234 Euros

We had nearly 40 years of going in school holidays so we know how you feel!!! You have to book everything well in advance.......used to book lfights as soon as they are released, often 11-12 months in advance......the same with car hire. With Autoreisen if they reduce the price you just rebook and cancel previous booking...pity you cannot do the same with airlines!!!

Before we could book via the internet we used to be phoning daily until flights were released......thank goodness we now have the internet, made life a lot easier.