PDA

View Full Version : What are the roads like going up to Mt. Teide in Tenerife?

mrmotivator
12-07-2011, 16:47
Evening all!

As a regular visitor to Tenerife, I have opted to hire a car this time....

Thing is, I've never driven in Tenerife before and as a first time driver over there, is it a safe enough drive up Mount Teide? What are the roads like? Are there barriers etc? Or would you just recommend going on a coach trip up there?

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers me dears

junglejim
12-07-2011, 16:50
Take the Titsa Bus up and sit at seat nearest driver / if that doesn't put you off , then hire a car !
Bus drivers are amazing the way they cope with the windy roads all around island , never mind avoiding tourists !

garlicbread
12-07-2011, 18:46
Never mind the bus, just drive to El Teide. You haven't said where you are staying but assuming it's the south take the road out of Los Cristianos (TF-655) towards Chayofa then the TF-28 to La Camella followed by the TF-51 to Vilaflor, they are all well signposted. From Vilaflor take the TF-21 all the way to the Park Nationale El Teide, a truly spectacular drive and nothing to be worried about.

Click the link in my signature for a Google map of Tenerife.

Tom
12-07-2011, 18:46
The roads are a bit windy but if you take it canny you will be alright.
The drive is worth it.

Here are some of the views you can expect (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_laws/sets/72157625477803105/)

mrmotivator
12-07-2011, 18:51
Cheers Tom and Garlicbread....

Yeah, I will be driving up from the south....thanks for the links :)

AL JAY
12-07-2011, 19:04
The roads are a bit windy but if you take it canny you will be a lright.
The drive is worth it.
Here are some of the views you can expect (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_laws/sets/72157625477803105/)

Fantastic photo's Tom, I urge members to have a look at the other pics in your Signature, Its the next best thing to being there!

Tom
12-07-2011, 19:30
Fantastic photo's Tom, I urge members to have a look at the other pics in your Signature, Its the next best thing to being there!

Cheers - will try and add some more this August.

dokgolf
12-07-2011, 20:21
Yep, I would agree with all the above posters. The roads can sometimes be a bit windy but don't present any real problems. Make sure you get to Teide early ( before 10:30 ) to avoid the crowds. Also, don't forget your permit if you want to go to the very top:)

DeedeeTipperary
12-07-2011, 21:04
All I can say about the roads we took on the Teide - Masca Jeep Safari is that I cant remember them being very winding or steep ?? Oh wait a minute , my eyes were tightly shut !! What an amazing trip I have the highest respect for the jeep safari drivers and bus drivers and many others who do this trip every day . My nerves were shot by the time i got back to our house but I wouldnt have missed the views for anything:spin:

Jenny10
12-07-2011, 21:15
Before moving here we holiday'd several times and always hired a car. Teidi is a good drive and there are lots of viewing points along the way. We usually take the Los Gigantes turn-off on the return journey, through the lava fields - wonderful scenery and the road isn't quite as windy. There are many other places within reasonable driving distance - Candelaria is a lovely town too. Hope you enjoy!

Dan747
12-07-2011, 21:51
Echo what the others say, definitely drive up there, it's certainly an experience and the roads are pretty impressive, I'm amazed Top Gear haven't done something on Teide given the roads are a similar type to those they go and explore around Europe, I can imagine it would be an impressive drive in a nippy sports car.

jas
14-07-2011, 16:50
i live up in the mountains and so am quite accustomed to driving in these conditions, however, my sister is a sales rep and drives everyday still doesn´t have much confidence to drive in this area.

would suggest for your first experience of driving a hire car in tenerife and going upto Teide that you follow the main road to Guia de Isora and continue along that road through Chio. As you leave Chio there is a well signposted turnoff for Teide with a very good road that the buses and tour operators use. The views are stunning and it is possible, weather permiting, to see the three island of La Palma, El Hierro and La Gomera.

Safe driving and happy holidays

Goforgold
14-07-2011, 17:22
Most of the roads in Tenerife have been upgraded over the years and are no problem. Hiring a car is a must to see the diversity the island has to offer.

mrmotivator
15-07-2011, 13:39
Thanks for all the replies guys....really appreciate it!