PDA

View Full Version : Do you think "Community living" works?

Tom & Sharon
13-07-2011, 00:39
Ours is a relatively new community. Less than 3 years old, and a lot of the units are still unsold.

Up until now, it's been OK and fairly quiet, but now there are a few more of us, disagreements and arguments are coming to the fore. Another one has raised it's head this evening, and personally I find it all quite awkward. For me it is extremely different to just living on "an avenue" in the UK. Here we are living much more in each other's pockets, and so the disagreements are more frequent, and more intense. God knows what it's going to be like when the whole community is full.

I'm not sure now that it's a "natural" way to live.

What does everyone else think?

caroletenerife
13-07-2011, 01:01
i live in a community and everybody gets on and helps each other whenever they can. However, where i live is well established and therefore norms have been established many moons ago i suspect. Its probably because yours is so new and new residents want whats important to them to take precident, no doubt in time the normal stages of forming a group will be gone through and things will settle down. good luck...keep your head down and let them argue it out, lifes too short.

junglejim
13-07-2011, 06:18
I live a fair amount of time in a community ( tourist complex by choice due to itīs position) and I have to accept that it will be used by strangers who do not totally respect or care about the "rules" of complex . However when people go too far a word with the President usually sorts it out , or with the owner of the apartment .
Itīs fair to say in past most of our problems have been with long term rentals who are working on Island , although we have had the odd family from hell !
We have obviously a mixture of nationalities on our complex but they generally donīt mix much , just an occasional nod or smile . Our biggest bugbear is everyone ( including me ) wants their own particular TV channels on our communal satellite system which is limited by our old equipment .
Spending tens of thousand on a rewiring is not a popular option as most apartments are rented out ( letīs not go there on this thread !) so the owners of these arenīt overconcerned as there is sufficient for everyone on holiday .
Major disagreements only seem to come at AGM with costs and expenditure on complex as obviously maintenace fees are affected and evryone wants to pay less but want more !
We have been very lucky inasmuch most issues of poor behaviour and noise are quickly and robustly dealt with by our President and night security guard so guests soon get the message to enjoy themselves but respect the complex .
For a tourist complex it is remarkably peaceful and is serene at night- but then I donīt stay there July and August when schools are out !
We have gone through a slight transition recently when about 20 odd apartments came onto market with the withdrawal of Kurt Konrad/Hovima organisation and less "hotel" type ( mostly Scandinavians ) customers and the complex definately quietened down but is still highly subscribed .

Jackie
13-07-2011, 07:52
Personally for me it is not the way to live. We knew when purchasing a property here that we would not be looking at anything on a complex.Buying a property is one of the biggest outlays most people have in their life, and apart from general problems that often arise on complexes I don't want someone telling me what I can and can't do with it. If I want to paint my house sky blue pink with red spots then I will because it is MY house and independent of anyone's made up rules. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way to anyone who lives on a complex but for me they are like concrete jungles or the equivalent of a council estate in the UK where every house looks the same. I read many of the threads about various complexes and there is always one problem or another, be it the comings and goings of tourists, problem neighbours, dogs left on balconies all day and night barking or the fact the president is friends with one of the bad neighbours and does nothing regarding complaints from others. I know these things can happen regardless of the locations of the property but when there are so many properties in such close proximity to each other then it has got to be a nightmare. Give me my house in our village any day.

candy2411
13-07-2011, 08:52
I own on a complex and although it suits me for now I don't think I would want to live there as a full time resident. As an absent owner it gives me some security knowing there are immediate neighbours in case of any problems but I couldnt live in the 'goldfish bowl' existence on a permanent basis.

Every time I visit I get brought up to date with all the goings on, petty arguments, neighbours feuds etc and I'm glad to be not part of it.Luckily I can just view from the sidelines knowing this is not real life for me. I never fail to be amazed though at some of the stories I hear!

I have attended only one AGM in the last ten years as this generally turns into a battlefield and on one occasion the police had to be called to restore order. The president is in my eyes is corrupt and a thoroughly nasty piece of work, but somehow always manages to get re-elected albeit by dubious means.

When the time comes for a permanent home then I will definitely be looking for somewhere not on a complex even if it means going halfway up the hills!

Tom & Sharon
13-07-2011, 09:31
Well, I feel like I don't want to go out of the front door this morning, and that's not good.

I will of course, but there's an argument developed between 2 of our neighbours. One is an owner who just comes on holiday every 3/4 months, and the other a long term renter. An argument developed last night over the renter's little boy who is 4, making a noise, and then degenerated into a bit of a slanging match over the state of the renter's garden which is next door to us.

The owners think I should back them up in the argument because we are both owners, while the others are "just renters" (to quote them!) They know I don't like the state of the garden either, but I have to live here, whereas they just visit. They can afford to fall out with someone "just renting" because next time they come, they might be gone. It is different for me because they are my neighbours on a daily basis and we need to get on.

Also, you can't put it in the community rules that you have to have expensive garden furniture, and no childrens' toys can you?

Tom is coming back tomorrow, and he certainly won't join in the argument, but it seems to be between the women anyway.

All very awkward..............................

bonitatime
13-07-2011, 09:41
We live on a complex with a comunity as you describe and have no problems. We have ajoining walls on both sides and a comunal garage path behind us which is sometimes noisy but we knew it would be this way when we bought. I think it depends what you are looking for, which is why I would always reccomend renting when you first move over as what you think you want isn't always later what you wanted.
I wouldn't get involved in someone elses battles especially if they are all going home and you will be left with this tennant.

TOTO 99
13-07-2011, 09:58
For me there's only one thing that spoils community living and that's inconsiderate people. Whether it be loud music, cars, out of control kids, if people had some consideration for others it would never happen in the first place. Neighbour disputes are a pain though because they affect your everyday life and nobody wants to live like that.

junglejim
13-07-2011, 10:06
Well, I feel like I don't want to go out of the front door this morning, and that's not good.

I will of course, but there's an argument developed between 2 of our neighbours. One is an owner who just comes on holiday every 3/4 months, and the other a long term renter. An argument developed last night over the renter's little boy who is 4, making a noise, and then degenerated into a bit of a slanging match over the state of the renter's garden which is next door to us.

The owners think I should back them up in the argument because we are both owners, while the others are "just renters" (to quote them!) They know I don't like the state of the garden either, but I have to live here, whereas they just visit. They can afford to fall out with someone "just renting" because next time they come, they might be gone. It is different for me because they are my neighbours on a daily basis and we need to get on.

Also, you can't put it in the community rules that you have to have expensive garden furniture, and no childrens' toys can you?

Tom is coming back tomorrow, and he certainly won't join in the argument, but it seems to be between the women anyway.

All very awkward..............................

I can understand your point of view but you have paid good money and probably community fees for your property and you want to protect its value.
My wife is pretty feisty over certain think and is not slow to hassle the President or Technicos on issues - the President is only too happy to sort issues out and give him his due he makes sure everything is in order .
The owner should be contacted via President or Administrator if renters are not looking after property as it should be in rules of complex.
I must admit when Iīm home in Scotland I enjoy my house and its relative privacy with no-one to interfere ( apart from my wife!).

Suej
13-07-2011, 10:57
Well I didnīt win the euro millions last night so Iīm stuck on a Community, itīs great most of the time just a few owners who try to run the place their way! itīs quiet and being the properties are houses and not apartments we donīt have too much trouble in the way of noisy neighbour disputes as we donīt have people living above or below us. Community does have it drawbacks but choose a nice respectable complex and you should be OK. You can have neighbours from hell anywhere you live in any country...itīs just pot luck!:)

dede
13-07-2011, 11:15
Ive only ever lived in one appartment here and i think your privacy is always open to invasion from the neighbours in an appartment, I still live in a sort of community but its in a house and all the houses are well spaced out, i have never heard of any trouble here but then again we have a very good experienced president who knows his stuff.

atlantico
13-07-2011, 11:37
communities can work if they're established or small.

A new LARGE community is hopeless.

I know of an 8 year old complex which is still having setting up problems - it has over 300 owners ! It would have been 600 but it's been split up in to 2 communities.

I have an apartment with 250 owners and thats only just working out. I leave it well alone as we don't live there, but do here all the gossip and stories going on. We stayed there for 6 months a few year back after just 'holidaying' for a few weeks at a time, and it was then that we realised that we couldn't possibly live on a community full time. You are not in control of noise, the main reason. You may want a peaceful hour on the balcony but the kids have just finished school and the pool areas are over run ! So we decided to buy an independent house - 100% better !

Most communities have a 'dodgy' president, taking back-handers or 'commission' as they like to call it. You'd be surprised at how much they can 'earn'. A friend of mine became President for a year, negotiated 'commissions' with companies but declared it to the community, so that everyone could see what really went on ! It was €42k a year ! The following year ? The previous 'corrupt' President got back in !! They must be buying votes with their €42k a year !! The old cleaning and maintenance companies have been reinstated at €4k a year MORE cost ! The pool supplier has changed too, at €1k more a year ! And he blamed it all on the previous ENGLISH President !

This is probably why houses not on communities cost so much more ! But we do save the €100 a month fees ! Oh, and IBI is €150 less !!

Suej
13-07-2011, 12:25
I would never like to live in a massive community complex! we have 52 houses 26 on each level and thatīs what we liked about it, plus Chayofa is a very quiet little village anyway.

junglejim
13-07-2011, 13:51
Try this as a parallel - the Tenerife forum is a community also and look at some of the issues we have on here !! The only thing is we have the ignore function or option to avoid certain threads but only the Mods can discipline !

atlantico
13-07-2011, 15:27
and we don't have to pay forum community fees for the privilege !

onelegnofeet
13-07-2011, 16:27
and we don't have to pay forum community fees for the privilege !

No ,but you could put your hand in your pocket and press THE DONATE BUTTON ..............perhaps !!!!:eyebrows::eyebrows:

Chayofa Tete
13-07-2011, 16:39
I would never like to live in a massive community complex! we have 52 houses 26 on each level and thatīs what we liked about it, plus Chayofa is a very quiet little village anyway.

Apart from the monkeys at the Jungle Park Suej

Suej
13-07-2011, 16:43
Apart from the monkeys at the Jungle Park Suej

Yes forgot about them in the mornings! the lions can also be heard. But donīt we get a lovely daily display from the Eagles!:D

Chayofa Tete
13-07-2011, 16:50
Yes forgot about them in the mornings! the lions can also be heard. But donīt we get a lovely daily display from the Eagles!:D

Yes indeed I love to watch the eagles as they come very close to the house,one of the many nice things about Chayofa.

caroll72
13-07-2011, 21:14
We lived on a small complex of just 13 apartments for 4 years & i would NEVER live on a complex again.
Although we never had any problems with noisy neighbours, we had too many NOSEY neighbours.
There were too many retired people with too much time on their hands who's main aim in life was what everyone else was up to.
They all tried to score points off each other in as much as who had the newest car, who ate in the best restaurants, who had the biggest bank balance.
Sad that people have nothing better to do.
I agree with Jackie, would rather live in a spotty house up in the mountains, than have nosey, interfering neighbours.
Just my opinion.:whistle:

bonitatime
13-07-2011, 22:32
Without wanting to provoke I am not sure Brits are the nationality most suitable for community living. They are inclined to take everything too seriously

redarrow
14-07-2011, 19:03
For me there's only one thing that spoils community living and that's inconsiderate people. Whether it be loud music, cars, out of control kids, if people had some consideration for others it would never happen in the first place. Neighbour disputes are a pain though because they affect your everyday life and nobody wants to live like that.

We are having a bit of a problem at the moment, with some new arrivals to the complex, making quite a bit of noise until about 2 or 3 in the morning (Sunday morning was 5.00am). They also have a habit of dumping their rubbish outside the front door, which is near the pool area, every night to save going to the basura until the next day, which the local cats have a field day with.

Not very pleasant at the moment as the previous neighbours were very considerate. Have to get in touch with the landlord I suppose. Problem is, as previously posted, when it all blows over you still have to live on the same complex as each other.

Goforgold
14-07-2011, 19:25
Without wanting to provoke I am not sure Brits are the nationality most suitable for community living. They are inclined to take everything too seriously

In what way Bonitatime? :) Would be interesting to hear your opinions. :)

tracey
14-07-2011, 20:25
Personally, I would not want to live in a community. The responses to this thread are exactly why. I like my privacy

Sundowner
14-07-2011, 20:48
Community living is the best...................it's only the neighbours that spoil it! :)

slodgedad
14-07-2011, 21:09
Having lived here for 17 years I'm used to living in 'communities', as it's Spanish law.

I have found though that the worst communities are the Brit ones, as they don't fully realize it is a requirement and not a power trip.

Where I live now is the first community where Brits are fully involved and 'Community' is a major issue.

Previously communities dealt with major issues and had the the motto of 'let live and let live', unless something serious happened.

The problem with a lot of 'new' communities is that Brits are becoming fully involved without realizing that it is a legal requirement and not a power trip.

(Personal opinion. Nothing to do with my mod status)

Suej
14-07-2011, 21:29
I find that quite surprising Caroll. In the UK people were always nosey about new cars, what was being unloaded from delivery vans etc...but I havenīt noticed it here at all, no one seems to give a stuff what you have...maybe Iīve been lucky :)

caroll72
14-07-2011, 21:47
Yes Sue, you've been lucky.
As Slodge says, the worst communities are the British ones.

Goforgold
14-07-2011, 21:56
Yes Sue, you've been lucky.
As Slodge says, the worst communities are the British ones.

Hi Caroll :) If you don't want to buy a house out there, I suppose renting a house is very expensive?

caroll72
14-07-2011, 22:05
Hi Caroll :) If you don't want to buy a house out there, I suppose renting a house is very expensive?

Out where GFG? ???
Wer'e back in uk now & have a lovely mobile home on a pretty site with no hassle from neighbours.

Goforgold
14-07-2011, 22:12
Out where GFG? ???
Wer'e back in uk now & have a lovely mobile home on a pretty site with no hassle from neighbours.

I know :) I meant in Tenerife :)

Tom & Sharon
23-05-2014, 14:00
After recent experiences in our community, I can most definitely state, that community living is not the way to live. I would never, ever in a million years, ever buy on a complex again.

It is very similar to being back in school. You can be lucky I'm sure, and get a nice friendly community, where everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet, likes each other, and wants the best from where they live and have invested their money.

But beware. It can be completely the reverse. And if it is, you are stuck with it.

We have had a financial upset on our community, due to the demise of the developer, and the complex is still 40% unsold. Everyone obviously has different views on how the situation should be managed.

However, our president does not want to listen to anyone's views but his own, or people who are like minded. No one is allowed a different opinion. It is his way or the highway, and he appears to be prepared to go to any lengths to secure his position, including character assassination in emails and downright lies. His pomposity knows no bounds. He is English, and very old of course!

It's pathetic really, and I could laugh if it were in any way funny. Big fishes in a little pond and all that...........But it's a very real situation that you can find yourself in, and what do you do if it happens? It's a bit like living in a prison. All your rights appear to be stripped from you.

It's OK for us. We can jump back on a plane and go home. We don't even have to go there. We can rent it out for a big profit, and wait and see what happens. With any luck, he'll fall off his balcony and be no more. But what about the people who have to live there year round?

Be very careful where you choose to buy if it's on a complex. It's probably something a lot of buyers don't check out first, but how happy the community is, is just as, if not more than, as important as whether or not you like the kitchen units!

junglejim
23-05-2014, 14:22
I can understand your frustrations , we live most of year in our apartment on a popular "mature complex " that has very little debt but is relatively expensive in terms of overheads .
A large proportion of owners rent their property through the president and are therefore happy/fearful to side with him on all his ideas in case they do not get rentals.
Getting sensible change in running the complex more efficiently , paring costs and unnecessary expenditure is difficult ,even the whiff of corruption and backhanders is never investigated !
Recently I have given up fighting against the issues and have left it to others to push the s.hit uphill , just lie back now and enjoy the sunshine !
We rented out in the complex before buying but were never savvy enough to look at the community dynamics as all seemed good during the times we were there - but who would you speak to , who would you trust ?

Tom & Sharon
23-05-2014, 14:27
If you were thinking of buying? I don't know who you'd trust. Renting before you buy anywhere is a sound idea.

Somebody was doing that on our complex with a view to buying, but they have just hot footed it elsewhere!

I'd definitely recommend it as a buying strategy. Hindsight is 20/20 vision though!

Jabba43
23-05-2014, 15:00
I have friends in Florida, if you think Spain is bad you should see the politics and corruption there. For a start there is a "manager" who is on 86,000 USD a year, then there is the handymen all paid very well. The manager does his own deals by making it look like he has put it out to tender by basically getting 3 really expensive quotes and his buddy is the cheapest. Then there is 24 hour security etc etc.

He always wants to paint, renew and ask for more money. As many people are seniors they go the the flow but the fees are just eye watering. Basically 10000 usd per year per condo, wtf! On top of that you have the government real estate tax at about another 7000 usd. So all in you are 17k down before your mortgage if you have one. Never ever would I buy in Florida. The fees from what I have seen in Tenerife are like 50-80 euro a month, paradise in comparison.

Angusjim
23-05-2014, 15:04
If you were thinking of buying? I don't know who you'd trust. Renting before you buy anywhere is a sound idea.

Somebody was doing that on our complex with a view to buying, but they have just hot footed it elsewhere!

I'd definitely recommend it as a buying strategy. Hindsight is 20/20 vision though!

Sharon must be bad before you have basically given up you do not strike me as someone who gives up easily!! Another problem that may arise could be that when you buy everything is OK then thru time the balance power changes and the situation that was once great becomes a nightmare something unfortunately that hindsight cannot foresee.

Tom & Sharon
23-05-2014, 15:07
Well ours have gone up 50% in 5 years, and now they want to almost double them again to cover the developer's share. So for this year our bill is 2,200€!

And for that we get nowt. Unheated pool, not even a single solitary sunbed around it, and a maintenance man who is very good at sweeping the local street which isn't even ours, and sleeping in an afternoon I think ;)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Sharon must be bad before you have basically given up you do not strike me as someone who gives up easily!! Another problem that may arise could be that when you buy everything is OK then thru time the balance power changes and the situation that was once great becomes a nightmare something unfortunately that hindsight cannot foresee.

Jim, I don't, and you know I don't. But unfortunately our president possesses absolutely zero man management skills, so he has to revert to bullying and hot air!

Jabba43
23-05-2014, 15:26
I guess Sharon he has a problem that the development is half full. If it is really a problem get the support of everyone and overthrow him. Is it the 2200 euro that annoys you or the rules. I think if you look deep down you will know which one it is.

If it is not the money then do this:

Write 20 ideas down in one column how you could improve the current state of affairs, then chose the best 10. The idea is by doing 20 you will think of everything that is pissing you off. You will be amazed how much you can come up with.

In the next column write "next steps" so your ideas are not empty.

Once you are happy with your ideas distribute your plan to the other residents and hopefully they will see that you have ideas to improve stuff instead of just moaning. You will also look like you have a proper agenda compared to stuffy pants.

junglejim
23-05-2014, 19:33
Community Living isnīt easy when there are disparate wishes on the complex - we have a varied mixture of nationalities on what is a touristic complex ( with no licence at present ) .
It is 70% British with an English President who runs it as his private club at times despite many challenges to his decisions - without the majority support of owners , little can be done to change although constant harrassment does get some results .
The administrator is also in with him and cannot be changed .
The majority of owners use him as an agent (illegally) to manage their properties when they do not use them , so he has their proxy and support so gets away with it -this causes friction amongst the other owners .
Try getting concensus amongst 6 different nationalities !

delderek
23-05-2014, 20:00
When I first purchased years ago I didn't even know what the community was. As I suspect many are in the same position
As it turned out, it is one of the best run communities in the south. But it was pure luck.

warbey
23-05-2014, 20:34

No, there will always be winners and Losers.

marbro8
23-05-2014, 21:49
you all know the complex we rent on, and everybody you speak to hates the president, god knows how i didn't knock him out the way he spoke to me last year:redcard: maybe it was in the back of my mind that i didn't want to get banned from the complex, he is by all accounts banned from a few bars and restaurants around the area:lol:, but his wife is lovely and for some reason the complex is very well run and apart from his attitude everyone seems happy with it:dontknow:

Tom & Sharon
23-05-2014, 23:14
You don't need it though, do you?

I don't think it's normal for adults to live together where another adult makes the decisions and tells you what you can do, and what you can't.

I never did as I was told when I was at school, and I'm far too old to start now.

It could be me of course that doesn't have the type of personality to be bullied, I'm not cut out for it. I really just want to smack him in the face!

Angusjim
24-05-2014, 07:58
you all know the complex we rent on, and everybody you speak to hates the president, god knows how i didn't knock him out the way he spoke to me last year:redcard: maybe it was in the back of my mind that i didn't want to get banned from the complex, he is by all accounts banned from a few bars and restaurants around the area:lol:, but his wife is lovely and for some reason the complex is very well run and apart from his attitude everyone seems happy with it:dontknow:

But at least he allows illegal letting:lol::lol::eyebrows:

TOTO 99
24-05-2014, 08:04
I don't think it's normal for adults to live together where another adult makes the decisions and tells you what you can do, and what you can't.

Isn't that what you do with Tom?...:lol:

Tom & Sharon
24-05-2014, 08:14

:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughin g::crylaughing::crylaughing:

Angusjim
24-05-2014, 08:50
Tom will reply to this once Sharon has told him what to write:crazy::lol:

Malteser Monkey
24-05-2014, 09:58

thought that was standard procedure :whistle::D

Tom & Sharon
24-05-2014, 10:05
I guess Sharon he has a problem that the development is half full. If it is really a problem get the support of everyone and overthrow him. Is it the 2200 euro that annoys you or the rules. I think if you look deep down you will know which one it is.

Once you are happy with your ideas distribute your plan to the other residents and hopefully they will see that you have ideas to improve stuff instead of just moaning. You will also look like you have a proper agenda compared to stuffy pants.

It is not the money per se. It is the way in which it is being demanded, and I use that word deliberately.

We did try to have another meeting to discuss it. A group of unhappy owners called an EGM to discuss trimming the budget to lessen the burden. There are things we don't need. For example, we have a maintenance man who works from 7.30 am to 1pm Mon to Fri, and we pay him over 900€ a month. For this, basically he just sweeps the street every day, which of course isn't even ours, as it belongs to the ayuntamiento. He cleans the pool, but it's used very little, and he mops the hallways. And 900€ a month is not a part time Canarian wage is it?

At the meeting we requested, the president and the administrator sat at the "top table" like bit parts from "The wheeltappers and shunters social club" along with some old Spanish solicitor they had in tow, like Don Corleone. You get the picture!

They then took a vote in the room, to even discuss trimming the budget. The people who had requested the meeting were refused a vote, because they hadn't paid the extra money demanded although they had paid their normal community fees. So a meeting was requested by a group of unhappy owners, to discuss trimming the budget, but it was voted on to not discuss it!

Now under Spanish law, this may be legal, but it certainly isn't moral! The whole thing was like a 3 ringed circus, and was a blatant attempt to just slap people down, and demand money by intimidation.

And this you see, is what I have a problem with.

From what other posters have put, it may be usual for community presidents and administrators to act like complete bar stewards to get what they want, and run communities the way they want, with no consultation with other owners, but it's not something I personally can either tolerate or respond to. It wouldn't matter if they were asking for an extra fiver. It's the way it's done. I just don't think it's natural for adults to live in this type of set up. The Spanish may have done it for years, but the British haven't.

It's also a very outdated type of mindset, and I can't see how it can continue to be like that. A lot of British community presidents, like ours, appear to be as old as Methuselah, so it sits easily with them because their generation were raised with this type of mentality. But we are 51, and we weren't. I consider it to be nothing other than bullying. I will not simply do as I am told, just because somebody says so, and without the willingness to discuss it. And with future generations it will be worse, because they simply will not tolerate it.

Tdm
24-05-2014, 10:32
There are Pros & Cons of living on a Community complex, and you have to decide whether it is for you or not.
Even well run and well maintained communities will have their detractors who, for whatever reason, like to cause trouble, and as the saying goes - "you can't please all the people all the time".

I think it also depends on whether it is a "Residential" complex or a "Tourist" complex, as with the latter you will always get some visitors who don't obey the rules and make a nuisance of themselves.

You do get to meet a lot more people living in a Community, so if you are a sociable person, that can be a good thing, but you have to forego some of the privacy you had living in a detached residence say.

Personally my wife and I when we emigrated went from living in a large detached house in a small Welsh Village, to living in a single bed-roomed apartment on a Tourist complex, and ignoring the odd few owners on site who are less than friendly, have no regrets about the change.

BoPeep
24-05-2014, 12:00
We had a community with a president that could not be trusted. After a couple of years we were lucky enough to have a resident prepared to be the the president and we organised enough people to vote him in at the next AGM without the president being aware, all went smoothly and we never looked back.

You need to find someone who lives there enough weeks of the year and is prepared to be the president and then get chatting to the other residents, seems the only way forward.

You say the pavements are the ayunamientos, but isnt Amarilla still waiting to be adopted by the town hall?

Tom & Sharon
24-05-2014, 12:30
We had a community with a president that could not be trusted. After a couple of years we were lucky enough to have a resident prepared to be the the president and we organised enough people to vote him in at the next AGM without the president being aware, all went smoothly and we never looked back.

You need to find someone who lives there enough weeks of the year and is prepared to be the president and then get chatting to the other residents, seems the only way forward.

You say the pavements are the ayunamientos, but isnt Amarilla still waiting to be adopted by the town hall?

Is it? Well what do we pay our 700€ IBI for?

princessmonika
24-05-2014, 13:18
amarilla golf is now adopted by san miguel de abona -- we all pay IBI to the town hall--

they clean a couple of times per year outside my house at augusta park -- so no complains --

BoPeep
24-05-2014, 13:30
I was told that you are paying for Police etc etc and that when you are taken over by the town hall the IBI goes up!

The San Miguel council has no obligation to do things around Amarilla but does so occasionally when they have time. I hear they have painted white lines now though so I may be out of date.

princessmonika
24-05-2014, 13:36
yes we where all on augusta, revalued -- so mine has gone up as from last year -- and now we got our habitation cert, because before that we where actually not legal -- but now they planted and doing up amarilla golf-- it is beginning now to look a lot better -- bopeep, you must be out of touch--

BoPeep
24-05-2014, 14:01
The houses were made legal and so now you need planning permission etc but that doesnt mean that you are taken over by the council. The IBI went up because they revalued the houses at the same time as allowing the habitation certificates.
I think the only way to be sure would be to go and ask the council.

I hope you are correct as its about time Amarilla Golf was taken over, is Golf de Sur taken over yet? I do know for sure that the council felt that Amarilla would be taken over before Golf de Sur from my time doing a bit of work for the council and getting to know some people there.