PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a cheap but good value travel insurer?

wen53
13-07-2011, 02:25
Has anyone got an recommendations on travel insurance? I generally go with Insure and Go.
I searched on the usual comparison website and got some cheap quotes but not sure if I trust the company.
I always inlclude cover for cancellation, baggage, personal money.

Thanks

AL JAY
13-07-2011, 02:59
The post office usually do good deals on holiday insurance.

http://www2.postoffice.co.uk/travel?RMGPOPPC=post%20office%20-%20travel%20insurance&kw=travel%20insurance%20reviews%20Exact&campaign=google_tvl_generic&campaignid=PPC_TI

BobMac
13-07-2011, 08:36
We have been using Direct Travel for several years now after friends told us about them

See the link for details - http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/

After the Ash Cloud, we didn't have to contact them - when we got home their was an e-mail from them telling us that if we had been away and caught up in the disruption, we were covered, what we were entitled to claim and a claim form to complete and return. We had the money within a week of submitting the claim form.

Balcony
13-07-2011, 09:53
Marks & Spencer also offer competitive insurance, including some cover for pre-existing health conditions. Tel: 0800 068 3918

We used World First for travel in Canada. www.world-first.co.uk

Su1
13-07-2011, 11:26
We used Direct Travel for a number of years however my quote this week for Annual travel insurance rose from just over £80.00 to over £200. (European Premium cover which we had previously) They now charge £40 extra for natural disasters e.g ash etc. Extra for airline faailure cover...i could go on! The only medical condition recently diagnosed - high blood pressure for me, however husband will hit 65 next year and I am early 60's and this seems to have bumped the premuim up. Yesterday I bought over the phone via Norwich & Peterborough for £90 - will let you know whom the Provider is when I get my policy through the post. (Just opened a N&P current account so can use debit card for 'free'.) Our 'new' policy covers us for 31 days away whereas the direct travel was I think was 42 days , however currently we will not spending more than a month away at a time
Since purchasing the policy however I have begun thinking about what cover we actually need. We don't take cases anymore, we could stay in our own apartment in the event of an ash cloud appearing etc. Cancellation would only be the flights......really only want it for health cover just in case.
Which? has a breakdown of good providers and their costs and also indicates which providers are reasonably priced for older persons and those with pre exisiting conditions. Travel insurance has become a nightmare to trawl though and you only really know haow good a company is when you have to make a claim.......may be that is another thread??

dixie4
13-07-2011, 11:27
Has anyone got an recommendations on travel insurance? I generally go with Insure and Go.
I searched on the usual comparison website and got some cheap quotes but not sure if I trust the company.
I always inlclude cover for cancellation, baggage, personal money.

Thanks

I have used Go Travel for many years, who charged about £80 for an annual policy. This was for standard worldwide travel for my wife and I and suited us very well.

Unfortunately I was diagnosed with the big C a couple of years ago. I am pretty well now, in remission. This is where the cheap companies get you hook line and sinker. Go Travel refused to insure me annually and wanted a stupid amount per trip (I am talking hundreds by the way). Plus any claims arising or connected with my illness were not covered. The question has to be asked why the hike in premium???

Once I had recovered from the chemo and stem cell transplant treatment I needed to visit my place in Tenerife to sort the usual things and get some much needed sunshine. I found that I had to pay up their extortionate premiums or travel uninsured. I did look at other insurers, all had the same high premiums including the ones recommended by the Cancer Unit.

My salvation came from an unexpected source, The Royal Bank of Scotland. They offered me a current account with free travel insurance (I did check and it gave full cover similar to Go Travel). They charged a £70 per year premium for a declared illness, ie cancer and cover me for that illness!

So in reality I am saving £10 per year. Well done Royal Bank of Scotland (NFI just passing on my good fortune) Brilliant.

BobMac
14-07-2011, 08:16
Just received the Money Savings Newsletter for this week and it has a list of best value Travel Insurers - See the link below for full details

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-travel-insurance#bestbuys

grumps
06-01-2012, 03:22
Just a word of caution..most uk policies require you to be a resident and have lived in the uk 6months in the last year.

gsc
06-01-2012, 07:31
What's wrong with Insure and Go?

dotty1
06-01-2012, 09:29
I also use the Royal Bank of Scotland and have done so for 15 years at least, I have claimed for a broken ankle and was paid out, this year I declared I was taking a water tablet and was charged £40 for the pleasure Too much I say. Be careful you declare every tablet you take,

johncalvin50
09-01-2012, 12:49
It may be good but according to me we should to compare from various online comparison sites and get one which suite you according to your needs. I think its a better idea to take a suitable and best insurance from a Genuine company.

Vortex Wake
25-01-2012, 13:17
It may be good but according to me we should to compare from various online comparison sites and get one which suite you according to your needs. I think its a better idea to take a suitable and best insurance from a Genuine company.

Spoken like a true spam bot.

fesdie
25-01-2012, 13:30
After years of using insure & go I switched to Direct Insurance and got a good price which included cover for my son who has a pre existing medical condition.

Saniya
03-02-2012, 08:46
Before getting involved in a planned travel, you should search well for a affordable and good travel insurance policy. A travel agent can help you best, you can discuss the different insurance policies his company offers. Depending upon your budget, it is feasible to choose the best cheap insurance policy that suits your needs.

willowlily
03-02-2012, 10:04
its true though that in the end you only know how good your travel insurance is when and if you have to claim. insurance companies are masters at finding any reason not to pay, and this includes any insurance,