PDA

View Full Version : How do I know who has been banned

dokgolf
13-07-2011, 12:26
Is it possible to see anywhere, exactly who is currently banned, the reasons why and the lenght of the ban? Also, is it only mods who can post in the Forum Announcements forum????
Thanks
DOk

Suej
13-07-2011, 12:29
Is it possible to see anywhere, exactly who is currently banned, the reasons why and the lenght of the ban? Also, is it only mods who can post in the Forum Announcements forum????
Thanks
DOk

I think the answer is yes to both questions DG You will not be able to post if you are banned so you´re safe for now anyway! If you look through the T&C´s you´ll soon see what what on here! :spin:

TenerifeTeddy
13-07-2011, 12:34
You can see if a user is banned by looking under the members name on a post or on their profile.
The Moderation team do not make public (except in very rare cases) the names of those banned, the reasons or the length of ban. That is between the mod team and the member involved.

Anyone can post in the Tenerife Forum Announcements Thread.

AL JAY
13-07-2011, 12:35
You can go into quick links (drop down) at the top of the page, go to experience (statistics) and you can tell who has been banned or if they have been issued with an infraction.

MrsTT
13-07-2011, 13:21
You can go into quick links (drop down) at the top of the page, go to experience (statistics) and you can tell who has been banned or if they have been issued with an infraction.

The mind boggles!!! What a lot of information being collected and collated - and for what?? We discover new things everyday!!!

dokgolf
13-07-2011, 14:24
You can see if a user is banned by looking under the members name on a post or on their profile.
The Moderation team do not make public (except in very rare cases) the names of those banned, the reasons or the length of ban. That is between the mod team and the member involved.

I should have made myself clearer. Can anyone post a new thread in the Tenerife Forum Announcements forum? When I try I get the following
"Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

tizzywizzy
13-07-2011, 18:30
I should have made myself clearer. Can anyone post a new thread in the Tenerife Forum Announcements forum? When I try I get the following
"Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

I get the same. If you try MEMBERS FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS THREAD It should let you post a new thread. hope this helps

TIS
13-07-2011, 19:57

Bear in mind that members can be banned in error and the ban notice can get left on the members profile, which does not look good for the member. So if trying to check on who has been banned and why, remember there are always two sides to an arguement and technology does not always give a correct view of the actual circumstances.

Goforgold
13-07-2011, 20:03

Thanks Al Jay - never knew any of this existed, mind you not surprising !!! Disappointed to see I don't get a mention in there!!! :(

mike in chayofa
13-07-2011, 23:41
Bear in mind that members can be banned in error and the ban notice can get left on the members profile, which does not look good for the member. So if trying to check on who has been banned and why, remember there are always two sides to an arguement and technology does not always give a correct view of the actual circumstances.

We have addressed this problem that unfortunately happened with a couple of members, so that it can't happen again.

We have (in the back room) a wonderful piece of kit that bans spammers, removes their website links and reports that they are spammers to a central database, so they can't actually gain access to any member forum.

What we hadn't realised at the time was that if more than one moderator was moderating and another was using the anti spam tool at exactly the same time on a different member, that occassionally both members were banned. We have taken steps to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

We have an extensive list of banned members, running into thousands - spammers to me and you. Why would anyone be interested in this?

TIS
14-07-2011, 00:09
We have addressed this problem that unfortunately happened with a couple of members, so that it can't happen again.

We have (in the back room) a wonderful piece of kit that bans spammers, removes their website links and reports that they are spammers to a central database, so they can't actually gain access to any member forum.

What we hadn't realised at the time was that if more than one moderator was moderating and another was using the anti spam tool at exactly the same time on a different member, that occassionally both members were banned. We have taken steps to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

We have an extensive list of banned members, running into thousands - spammers to me and you. Why would anyone be interested in this?
Your response, whilst informative would not address the issue I have highlighted, so my point still stands. There are two sides to any arguement.

I do agree though with your comment as to who would be interested in looking at this list or why. unless to filter any comments the banned member had made on any threads, as these could date back a long time before their ban was imposed.

mike in chayofa
14-07-2011, 00:37
The majority of spammers are moderated before they actually appear on the forum.

We currently have two 'banned' members at the moment. Most people will know who they are and the reasons behind these bans. We only hope that they will come back and stick to the terms and spirit of the forum.

There aren't often two sides to an arguement. Members adhere to the terms and conditions or they choose not to - in which case action will be taken. This action only results in a ban if the relevant criteria is reached. When this happens, the system imposes a ban automatically - not the moderating team.

sundownersvince
14-07-2011, 01:11
Oh dear, I see young Reggie and his Cheesy mate have been banned......Is it cos they is funny?

TOTO 99
14-07-2011, 06:15
Quite the opposite Vince..

Eades
20-07-2011, 06:06
If you are posting useful material and have relation with all the members who also post the useful material then always keep in mind that you are not gonna be banned or your friends too.

reggie
20-07-2011, 07:46
Oh dear, I see young Reggie and his Cheesy mate have been banned......Is it cos they is funny?

TaTa 88, dosent think so vince, he needs to be all serious, read his rubbish,
I saw you had a skirmish, but i couldnt join in,
Cheesy will be back soon, but i cant see him calming down any,
I got an infection yesterday ?, abusive post ? I'm never abusive, so i dont know what that was all about,

Ecky Thump
20-07-2011, 09:24
TaTa 88, dosent think so vince, he needs to be all serious, read his rubbish,
I saw you had a skirmish, but i couldnt join in,
Cheesy will be back soon, but i cant see him calming down any,
I got an infection yesterday ?, abusive post ? I'm never abusive, so i dont know what that was all about,

Reggie, I thought that the use of bad language and racist remarks (even if in so called fun) is being abusive. Speaking for my self I don't find the use of swearing, even if starred out necessary or funny, especially on a forum that is family orientated, also is this really the place (again, I don't think there is a place) to make racist remarks in fun or in a hurtful manner.
Surly as responsible and reasonably intelligent adults we can curb this sort of behaviour and shouldn't need moderators to control this by issuing infractions or bans.

Zara
20-07-2011, 09:25

I received a deduction of 7 points yesterday for wishing Happy Birthday (well it was MaxineC so that probably explains it :whistle:)

When I asked why - like wot you wud Happy Birthday, :fryingpan:!!! MrTT gave an excellent explanation as to how Admin are leaving the points system to run at its default settings while they continue working on merging the old and new databases and lots of strange things are happening with it.

However being a nosy soandso I have now checked the Experience tab and see that the people who are getting certain awards are 'Banned' yet if you look for why they have NEVER posted - so there are lots of things happening, don´t just believe what another member tells you, nothing may be what it seems, check for yourself there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation.

Unless of course you have been banned :(

reggie
20-07-2011, 10:12
Reggie, I thought that the use of bad language and racist remarks (even if in so called fun) is being abusive. Speaking for my self I don't find the use of swearing, even if starred out necessary or funny, especially on a forum that is family orientated, also is this really the place (again, I don't think there is a place) to make racist remarks in fun or in a hurtful manner.
Surly as responsible and reasonably intelligent adults we can curb this sort of behaviour and shouldn't need moderators to control this by issuing infractions or bans.

Eky my love, I dont normaly swear in real life, the thread was, whats your favorite word, i posted a lot of situations where the word would be used, i blanked them out, then got told off for doing so, i was told the filters would do it, so i put them back on, and the filters didnt work, so i got banned, the word is used every day by normal family type people, it wont be going away, Racism is a part of every day life, I have met people off this forum that moan on here about racist, they turn out to be the opposite, you cant ignore whats going on in real life, because your scared of what people will think, There is some dark forces at play on here, instead of saying what bothers them, they use any excuse, This forum is bigger than a handfull of people, were all indispensable, but some people like a laugh and joke, it jolly's people up, so slacken your belt and chill out,
I dont mean to cause offence to anyone, but some of us are differant, instead of going round in circles, ban me for life, or cut me some slack, please,

primrose
20-07-2011, 11:43
Eky my love, I dont normaly swear in real life, the thread was, whats your favorite word, i posted a lot of situations where the word would be used, i blanked them out, then got told off for doing so, i was told the filters would do it, so i put them back on, and the filters didnt work, so i got banned, the word is used every day by normal family type people, it wont be going away, Racism is a part of every day life, I have met people off this forum that moan on here about racist, they turn out to be the opposite, you cant ignore whats going on in real life, because your scared of what people will think, There is some dark forces at play on here, instead of saying what bothers them, they use any excuse, This forum is bigger than a handfull of people, were all indispensable, but some people like a laugh and joke, it jolly's people up, so slacken your belt and chill out,
I dont mean to cause offence to anyone, but some of us are differant, instead of going round in circles, ban me for life, or cut me some slack, please,

Reggie if you don't swear in real life, why do you feel the need to do it on a family forum, a laugh and a joke is fine but when you need to include swearing and racist remarks then it becomes offensive. There are posts that you put on here that really make me laugh but once the swearing and racism starts it stops being funny.Now I have said what bothers me I don't need to make excuses.Would you use that kind of language in front of your Grandchildren, don't think so and to be honest you are funnier when you don't use it.

reggie
20-07-2011, 12:04
Stop thanking everybody that has a pop at me, and i'l think about it, :raspberry:

primrose
20-07-2011, 12:15
Stop thanking everybody that has a pop at me, and i'l think about it, :raspberry:

Was that meant for me or Doreen?

YOUNG GOLFER
20-07-2011, 12:27

Like yourself reggie i to like a laugh and a joke...but sending a disgusting PM to myself i did not find at all funny.

Goforgold
20-07-2011, 12:52
You can see how wars are started!!

Why can't everyone just be civilised and put the past in the past and move on - it's blown out of all proportion now.

Surely, we all have too many of our own personal problems be it financial or otherwise to be so wound up about such trivia. I know I have.

I'm trying to support a very close friend of mine and 3 lovely young children whose father is about to die of cancer, and also coping with a young girl who lost her father and is suicidal - that's just for starters.

I like to use this Forum to escape from all this. Ok there are going to be some lighthearted bickerings, I've been involved in a few myself, but things are getting out of hand here and going too far.

Please, please can we just have some lighthearted fun with each other, I really could do with a laugh right now and I'm sure I'm not the only one who could do with cheering up. :(

howard thornton
20-07-2011, 14:03
You can see how wars are started!!

Why can't everyone just be civilised and put the past in the past and move on - it's blown out of all proportion now.

Surely, we all have too many of our own personal problems be it financial or otherwise to be so wound up about such trivia. I know I have.

I'm trying to support a very close friend of mine and 3 lovely young children whose father is about to die of cancer, and also coping with a young girl who lost her father and is suicidal - that's just for starters.

I like to use this Forum to escape from all this. Ok there are going to be some lighthearted bickerings, I've been involved in a few myself, but things are getting out of hand here and going too far.

Please, please can we just have some lighthearted fun with each other, I really could do with a laugh right now and I'm sure I'm not the only one who could do with cheering up. :(

very well put gfg, my thoughts entirely

Goforgold
20-07-2011, 14:15
very well put gfg, my thoughts entirely

I wonder if, when the merge of the forums has taken place, we could have a thread called Forum Re-union and see how many members we could get to post something, even if they only just pop in and say a quick hello , if would be great see all the past and present names and the new ones of course!!! :)

May be some could also remind us of Forum Highlights that have made us all have a laugh!! :)

howard thornton
20-07-2011, 14:20
I wonder if, when the merge of the forums has taken place, we could have a thread called Forum Re-union and see how many members we could get to post something, even if they only just pop in and say a quick hello , if would be great see all the past and present names and the new ones of course!!! :)

May be some could also remind us of Forum Highlights that have made us all have a laugh!! :)

there are quite a few i am glad to see the back of,real bad news some of them.

onelegnofeet
20-07-2011, 15:02
there are quite a few i am glad to see the back of,real bad news some of them.

Shutting the door behind me HT !!!...............very soon

TenerifeTeddy
20-07-2011, 15:30
I received a deduction of 7 points yesterday for wishing Happy Birthday (well it was MaxineC so that probably explains it :whistle:)

When I asked why - like wot you wud Happy Birthday, :fryingpan:!!! MrTT gave an excellent explanation as to how Admin are leaving the points system to run at its default settings while they continue working on merging the old and new databases and lots of strange things are happening with it.

However being a nosy soandso I have now checked the Experience tab and see that the people who are getting certain awards are 'Banned' yet if you look for why they have NEVER posted - so there are lots of things happening, don´t just believe what another member tells you, nothing may be what it seems, check for yourself there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation.

Unless of course you have been banned :(

Just to amplify this a little more, the expèrience points system is completely seperate to the infraction points system, and though it appears that infraction points can show on the experience points system, the reverse is not true.
We dont fully understand the experience points system yet as it is new with this version of VBulletin, so it is just being trialled.

Infraction points are issued by the moderators/admins for breaches of the terms and conditions. All of this is done privately and not discussed on open forum. The stuff you can see on the Experience tab, does not really indicate what is happening "behind the scenes" We are currently receiving a lot of spam and all the user accounts that are associated with spam are automatically banned, and their posts removed.
That is why you will find many "banned" users that have never (aparently) posted.

onelegnofeet
20-07-2011, 15:51
Just to amplify this a little more, the expèrience points system is completely seperate to the infraction points system, and though it appears that infraction points can show on the experience points system, the reverse is not true.
We dont fully understand the experience points system yet as it is new with this version of VBulletin, so it is just being trialled.

Infraction points are issued by the moderators/admins for breaches of the terms and conditions. All of this is done privately and not discussed on open forum. The stuff you can see on the Experience tab, does not really indicate what is happening "behind the scenes" We are currently receiving a lot of spam and all the user accounts that are associated with spam are automatically banned, and their posts removed.
That is why you will find many "banned" users that have never (aparently) posted.

So i take it that Points ......................dont "MAKE PRIZES " Shucks !!!:(:(

Was that meant for me or Doreen?

Primerose ........................Surely you dont need back up !!!:surrender::surrender:

TenerifeTeddy
20-07-2011, 16:14
As stated earlier it is not allowed to question mod decisions on open forum, and this is particularly true of reasons why members may have received bans. All infractions are private matters between the mod team and the member concerned.

The original point of this post has been answered and as a lot of this thread could be construed as questioning moderators decisions we have decided to close it.

If you have genuine questions on this matter please either enter them in the help desk system or by PM to a Moderator.