PDA

View Full Version : Will I get charged import duty if I send household items through the post?

mick1968
13-07-2011, 17:16
hi all, and hope somebody can help us,we are moving out on the 30th july and have quite a bit of stuff to ship over (we are going to send via parcelforce,bedding photos,towels,clothes, just general stuff,we just wondered if we would have to pay import duty or what the general procedure is,any info would be a great help,thanks again

atlantico
13-07-2011, 17:50
most parcels going via courier (Parcelforce is a courier) have to go through a customs check and taxes are usually levied. Try sending via postal service ie Post Office as that route is seldom checked. I did the same a few years back, everything inside was personal and used and not in re-sellable packaging, I valued it at €200 for insurance and they charged me €29, most of that (€20) was 'handling costs'

carolethatch
13-07-2011, 18:10
By parcel post, if the items are "used, mark the customs form used, and you should not pay tax, as they are regarded as 2end hand. Also even if they are new, cut off all labels, and price tags, and treat as used.

churnlobster
13-07-2011, 18:59
I had my own used item posted over through Parcelforce and even though it was put down as a repair, they looked at the insured value and i got charged 55 euro's import duty for my own item i had already paid tax on in the UK, but you try arguing with them!!!! they wont give you your item.
So now whenever i have anything sent over i just have the value set to 0 and hope it doesn't get lost.
I have payed so much import duty over here its unbelievable.

timmylish
14-07-2011, 02:55
Quite the opposite. Have only paid once out of 18 different items purchased from Amazon this year! Latest was a lap-top this morning. Acer 15" with all the usual packaging. I always tell people. Just take a chance cause the charges are not lethal.

atlantico
14-07-2011, 09:34
But that's from Amazon, not personal belongings.

So yes, ditch your old stuff and buy new from online retailers