PDA

View Full Version : Do Thomas Cook Airlines still weigh hand luggage?

debi
14-07-2011, 21:10
Or was I just very unlucky last August?

On arrival at Manchester Airport the check-in clerk weighed the hand luggage. My daughters pull along trolley was over weight - she had the usual for a ten year old - crayons, ds, portable dvd etc etc.

the lady on the desk made us take things out one at a time and kept weighing the case until it got down to 5KG (it was just over 7 to begin with) and told us very seriously not to put anything else in it. I'm not quite sure where she thought we were putting the stuff that had been taken out but we had put it on the floor in front of us then simply put it back in the case when she was satisfied it wasn't over 5KG!!!:crazy::crazy:

Anyway coming to |Tenerife again with them in 5 weeks and don't want the same problem.:pray:

i wondered if this was standard or whether she just got out of bed the wrong side on that morning?:lol:

Leam_Lin
14-07-2011, 21:31
Are you still flying with Thos Cook? other airlines flying out of Manchester allow 10 kgs for hand luggage.

caroll72
14-07-2011, 21:44
Debi, i really think it depends on the person on check in & what mood they're in!
We didn't have any problems with hand luggage with thomas cook, just had to hold them up, for them to see. They didn't weigh them.
Was a doddle flying out from B'ham, problems started on return.

Checked in quite early but the queues were already long. Then they opened another desk & told people in the queues that they could 'fast track', for just 10 euros each! :whistle:
Needless to say, not many took them up on their 'generous' offer.
On finally reaching check in, we were allocated seats in row 21, one of us in A, the other in D, over the other side! :doh:
When i questioned this, was told that we would have to pay extra to guarantee seats together :gun:
Once we boarded, it was obvious that they'd done the same thing to other passengers, but luckily, we all had the sense to swap seats.

It all just seems more tricks by the airlines to get you to cough up more cash, no-one was having any of it.
For a company like Thomas Cook, i'd expect better treatment, but weighing it all up, we only paid £80 each return, so i guess it's a case of 'you get what you pay for'!! :)

Su1
14-07-2011, 23:40
How I wish we could boycott airlines like this! We fly to Tenerife form Luton/Stansted so thomas cook is not an option thankfully however we are going to a wedding in Turkey next year and are looking at our flight options ------I will try to avoid Thiomas Cook unless they are by far the cheapest.....as you said you get what you pay for!!!

Dan747
15-07-2011, 00:42
Thomas Cook did this to my other half the other month on her flight to Canada from Manchester, her hand baggage was 6.5kg and they made her take bits out until it was 5kg, the Manchester staff must be getting instructions to check cabin baggage weight.

The thing that gets me with Thomas Cook and Thomson on this is the fact they have jumped onto the 'low-cost' bandwagon of charging for hold baggage, yet they didn't increase their hand baggage allowance like the others did, so most people will have to pay the extra as 5kg is just not enough for anything meaningful.

debi
15-07-2011, 19:16
Thanks for you replies. I generally fly with Monarch which has 10kg hand luggage which is why it came as a bit of a shock last year.

I said I wouldn't go with Thomas Cook again but when I was booking this holiday last September I was only in a position to book for me and 2 daughters (OH is self empolyed and wouldn't commit that early - long long story don't ask! still don't know if he's joining us and we go 5 weeks today :wall::wall:) and it worked out about £500 cheaper to book as a package - so that swung it for me!

I have learnt now and will make sure it's only 5kg cos I just can't be bothered with that hassle at 7am I just want to get on the plane and start my well deserved holiday. :cheer::cheer:

BobMac
15-07-2011, 20:25
Easyjet don't have a hand luggage limit..

Their only rule is that you must be able to put it in the overhead locker yourself and it must be the correct size.

More interestingly, with Easyjet if their are 2 people traveling together on the same ticket, each person has a 20 KG hold luggage limit for putting a case in the hold but if you only take 1 case between you, the weight limit is 32 KG, and you can both still take a hand luggage case as well.