PDA

View Full Version : It's offical! No more plastic bags from 2018.

henry
14-07-2011, 21:44
i was just finish watching the spanish news. and it is now in to law. that starting jan 1 2018. (long time from now!!) that NO STORE will have no more plastic bags.

iceland??
any commical stores won´t be giving , selling plastic bags no more.
so, what this means we be going back to paper bags?

CIM
14-07-2011, 21:50
Best learn to juggle!

slodgedad
14-07-2011, 21:54
I think it's great news.

I realized how much plastic was dumped after I did a charity bag pack last Christmas.

I was gobsmacked at how many bags people needed for so few items, all to be chucked away, still to be here for our grandkids to clear up.

Goforgold
14-07-2011, 22:02
I think it's great news.

I realized how much plastic was dumped after I did a charity bag pack last Christmas.

I was gobsmacked at how many bags people needed for so few items, all to be chucked away, still to be here for our grandkids to clear up.

We didn't chuck them away immediately, but used them to pick up dog poo!! Now we are down to one small dog we don't need them.

Back to brown paper bags then and trying to remember to bring the shopping bags from home!!! I might get one of those shopping trolleys and trip people up as those old ladies used to do!! :)

Seriously though, I am looking forward to the ban. Apart from the serious damage they do to the wildlife, the site of them stuck in trees along the motorway isn't attractive either.

cainaries
14-07-2011, 22:04
We just took a rather scruffy box to Hiperdino to put our shopping in as they are .. quite rightly .. charging for bags now. But what are we going to put our rubbish in.

(And without wishing to confuse threads too much ... what am I going to put OH in when he pops his clogs??!!)

Harmonicaman
14-07-2011, 22:05
Remember when you were young and your gran went shopping to the corner shop with her wicker basket over her arm. How green were those bags?!!

cainaries
14-07-2011, 22:09
Remember when you were young and your gran went shopping to the corner shop with her wicker basket over her arm. How green were those bags?!!
In those days, though, binmen called and actually emptied the bins! Having been back to the UK very recently I know that almost everything now gets recycled but this is not true where we are here. The binmen don't call now so we bag up our rubbish and take it to the containers. But, if there aren't any plakky bags, what are we going to bag it up in? Why DO I worry about things that haven't happened yet.

Goforgold
14-07-2011, 22:10
We just took a rather scruffy box to Hiperdino to put our shopping in as they are .. quite rightly .. charging for bags now. But what are we going to put our rubbish in.

(And without wishing to confuse threads too much ... what am I going to put OH in when he pops his clogs??!!)

Where is that great smilie when you need it - you know, the man lying on his back howling with laughter!!! You'll just have to use your imagination CA!!! :) :)

Do you have a wheelie bin? :)

No you don't - just read your reply to HM!!! You'll just have to stick the OH straight into the container unbagged!!!

cainaries
14-07-2011, 22:16
Where is that great smilie when you need it - you know, the man lying on his back howling with laughter!!! You'll have to use your imagination CA!!! :) :)

Thanks, GFG! He's a bit big to fit in a box! Hopefully to be with me for decades yet.

You know how couples have silly phrases only they know the meaning of? One of ours .. to be said in a heavy American accent is .. 'in a baaaxxxx' as in 'in a box'. We were in Utah trying to get wine with our meal (oh, I'm going to Off Topic, I know it) and the waitress said we could have some wine because we were from 'outta State' and we asked if we could see the bottle and she said 'it ain't in a bottle, it's in a baaaahhhxxx'.

slodgedad
14-07-2011, 22:16
In those days, though, binmen called and actually emptied the bins! Having been back to the UK very recently I know that almost everything now gets recycled but this is not true where we are here. The binmen don't call now so we bag up our rubbish and take it to the containers. But, if there aren't any plakky bags, what are we going to bag it up in? Why DO I worry about things that haven't happened yet.

I take all my rubbish to the bins in 'plakky' bags and put everything in the appropriate bins and then put the 'plakky' in with the 'plakky'.

Only takes a minute longer

dokgolf
14-07-2011, 22:21
Great news. We ( in Ireland) are charged 22 cent for each bag we need in a shop. Its amazing how soon you learn to bring your own canvas/long life bags with you. Its also amazing to see the difference in cleanliness of our cities, towns and countryside. The downside of it was the guy who had patented the "disposable" "plastic" bag which apparently degraded completely in the soil within 18 months. The government here wouldn't differenciate between his bags and the normal ones.

Goforgold
14-07-2011, 22:23
Thanks, GFG! He's a bit big to fit in a box! Hopefully to be with me for decades yet.

You know how couples have silly phrases only they know the meaning of? One of ours .. to be said in a heavy American accent is .. 'in a baaaxxxx' as in 'in a box'. We were in Utah trying to get wine with our meal (oh, I'm going to Off Topic, I know it) and the waitress said we could have some wine because we were from 'outta State' and we asked if we could see the bottle and she said 'it ain't in a bottle, it's in a baaaahhhxxx'.

I know exactly what you mean, we have so many of those we've picked up along the years. :) So in a baaaxxx it's going to be then??!!!! :)

cainaries
14-07-2011, 22:25
I take all my rubbish to the bins in 'plakky' bags and put everything in the appropriate bins and then put the 'plakky' in with the 'plakky'.

Only takes a minute longer
In Tenerife? You must be streets ahead of us in the boonies of La Palma. We can recycle paper/cardboard (one container), glass (second container) and .. 'bricks (drinks cartons), tins, plastic bottles and plastic bags' in a third container ... and that's it. We've got a compost heap in the garden but still generate a lot of rubbish.

Goforgold
14-07-2011, 22:28
Great news. We ( in Ireland) are charged 22 cent for each bag we need in a shop. Its amazing how soon you learn to bring your own canvas/long life bags with you. Its also amazing to see the difference in cleanliness of our cities, towns and countryside. The downside of it was the guy who had patented the "disposable" "plastic" bag which apparently degraded completely in the soil within 18 months. The government here wouldn't differenciate between his bags and the normal ones.

Good evening Dokgolf - I hadn't realised you were in Ireland. I never look at the Avatars or where people come from, I can just about cope with reading all of the threads. :) Maybe I'm just not nosey enough!!!

As you say, when they start charging for the bags you quickly find an alternative. :)

Now I don't need the plastic bags, I may well start taking my own bags in future.

cainaries
14-07-2011, 22:28
I know exactly what you mean, we have so many of those we've picked up along the years. :) So in a baaaxxx it's going to be then??!!!! :)

You're welcome to use 'in a baaahhxxx'! We stole the phrase 'a cup of tea and a kebab' from some friends of ours who were queueing for a meal on a ferry and the man in front ordered 'a cup of tea and a kebab' and they just couldn't imagine a more disgusting mixture so it became a phrase of theirs for an unappetising meal and we use it, too. Is there Off Topic here or shall I just go straight down to the dungeon. Slodgey???