PDA

View Full Version : Bizzare rock stacking in Fanabe...

mrmotivator
16-07-2011, 01:41
During my last visit in February, me and the better half were walking from Fanabe to Del Duque and came across all these rocks that were stacked. It was pretty stange, im pretty sure it wasn't tide related as they started right at the path's edge....

Has anyone else seen them?

AL JAY
16-07-2011, 01:50
Yes,they are fascinating and some seem to defy gravity!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3kT4urSTV0

Goforgold
16-07-2011, 07:25
You put some very interesting clips on the Forum - thanks Al Jay. :)

Zara
16-07-2011, 09:15
I took this photo at La Caleta years ago :)

Jackie Buyer
16-07-2011, 09:24
During my last visit in February, me and the better half were walking from Fanabe to Del Duque and came across all these rocks that were stacked. It was pretty stange, im pretty sure it wasn't tide related as they started right at the path's edge....

Has anyone else seen them?

The rock piles are called 'Cairns' (Gaelic word) in the old days they were made as a land mark, but I also have built a Cairn at this spot, as it means you will return again

caroletenerife
16-07-2011, 09:31
They are at Palm mar too, saw someone kicking it down, i didnt know why it was there, thought mabey it was some spiritualist/memorial thing about a dead loved one, so i rebuilt it....not easy, it takes ages to balance all the stones. Thanks Jackie for letting me know what they are. There are lots at Fanabe, i think they look good

Jackie Buyer
16-07-2011, 09:35
They are at Palm mar too, saw someone kicking it down, i didnt know why it was there, thought mabey it was some spiritualist/memorial thing about a dead loved one, so i rebuilt it....not easy, it takes ages to balance all the stones. Thanks Jackie for letting me know what they are. There are lots at Fanabe, i think they look good

Carole, its good you rebuilt it, I'm really supersticous (I know that's not how its spelt) but I think it would be bad luck to destroy one

Jackie
16-07-2011, 10:33
Many people add to them, sometimes one person will put the first few in a pile and then other people will add another couple at another time and so on

imablue
16-07-2011, 10:36
in La Gomera too...jardin tecina beach bar at playa de santiago..the beach is full of them....

DeedeeTipperary
16-07-2011, 12:47
Many people add to them, sometimes one person will put the first few in a pile and then other people will add another couple at another time and so on

we saw quite a few people building their own stack when we went for a walk up that way a couple of weeks ago . my son and daughter built a small one of their own , I am glad now they did because hopefully we will return next year:crossfingers:

Jackie
16-07-2011, 12:55
This is aphoto my daughter took a couple of weeks ago while walking in the area

rosemary
16-07-2011, 17:42
They are wonderful! Thankyou for putting them up and I shall go to Fanabe and try to make one. How is it possible?????