PDA

View Full Version : It's going to be quiet - very quiet...

Jimandsi
16-07-2011, 22:01
Half-price sunshine:

Desperate holiday firms offer discounts of over 50% as bookings slump .....

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article-2015295/Half-price-sunshine-Desperate-holiday-firms-offer-discounts-50-bookings-slump.html#ixzz1SIvSeJZf

WeeJake
16-07-2011, 22:23
Jimandsi. You "Bad" But you state the obvious. Unfortunately not everyone wants to hear, see or read it!! Tenerife will slump this year "AGAIN" but all we busines owners can do is hope that it comes back in 2012 and beyond. The feedback Iīm getting from my clients is that jobs are still on the line in the UK. Lots of of Change still to happen. So those new kitchens, and conservatories are all being put on the back-boiler. Holidayīs are coming last. Iīm one of ten with loadsa neices and nephews and great neices and nephews and great great neices and nephews and their all saying the same thing. Their watching the pennies cos there is no certainty where their going to be in the next three months. Watch this space. Itīs not just Tenerife. Itīs All Over!!!

dede
16-07-2011, 22:29
I wonder who's on these planes coming in then as they were coming in thick and fast all day yesterday and theres been a fair few today aswell ( i live in the flight path lol )

Ed3229
16-07-2011, 22:31
It still cost me less by doing booking on my own(flights ect) and not via a travel agent site..........

candy2411
16-07-2011, 22:32
I'm not at all surprised holiday companies are having to heavily discount their holidays. Most package holidays are vastly overpriced, and most people now realise the huge savings can be made booking their own flights through the many budget airlines and booking own accomodation via travel republic/alpharooms/booking.com just to mention a few.

Most people I know are still taking their holidays abroad, its just that if its in Europe or Canaries they're doing it independently and don't need a package.

doreen
16-07-2011, 22:33
The biggest market for tourists in the Summer months is from Mainland Spain ... and they are here in force :)

junglejim
16-07-2011, 22:46
I wonder who's on these planes coming in then as they were coming in thick and fast all day yesterday and theres been a fair few today aswell ( i live in the flight path lol )

It's the Glasgow Fair -the main West of Scotland Holiday fortnight so those who donīt go to Blackpool (Expensive) go abroad .
The most expensive fortnight for flights in summer in Scotland .

TOTO 99
16-07-2011, 22:47
I hope some of my optimism rubs off onto you Jimbo. I'm a firm believer that people will "trade down" in any recession. You'll lose some but you gain others that used to go on more exotic holidays. Tenerife is somewhere in the middle so fingers crossed shouldn't be too bad. The ones at the very top are the ones who should be worried as people trade down. Places such as your bar for instance may start to suffer as people have to trade down to a different level...you know, like a real bar for instance.:)

WeeJake
16-07-2011, 23:04
All Inclusives are Mobbed. Donīt know if the same can be said about the self catering market. Hope Iīm wrong!

AJP
16-07-2011, 23:16
Yawn Yawn...........Jim starts a thread.(the same one I,m sure is on the old site)........then sits back and.......................you know the rest..........

timmylish
16-07-2011, 23:21
What will Jim read on Sunday,s after to-morrow?

WeeJake
16-07-2011, 23:30
I donīt know who Jimandsi is but I think Iīm disappointed I never met him. However, maybe next time heīs here, if ever, we can both don our rainbow coloured specs and view Tenerife through a different pair of eyes!! You old Pessimist You!!!

howard thornton
16-07-2011, 23:31
What will Jim read on Sunday,s after to-morrow?

dandy, beano,bunty,bare **** monthly.

TenerifeTeddy
16-07-2011, 23:47
I donīt know who Jimandsi is but I think Iīm disappointed I never met him. However, maybe next time heīs here, if ever, we can both don our rainbow coloured specs and view Tenerife through a different pair of eyes!! You old Pessimist You!!!

IMPO Lets put it this way, donīt bother reading any of their posts if you want find anything positive, if he was right Tenerife would be empty!. Weīve just had our busiest week since Easter, so looks to me like numbers are increasing (as usual) and trade will steady improve. It was all doom and gloom last year, but that was our best year for 3 years. Tenerife isnīt just about the Brits!

timmylish
16-07-2011, 23:59
IMPO Lets put it this way, donīt bother reading any of their posts if you want find anything positive, if he was right Tenerife would be empty!. Weīve just had our busiest week since Easter, so looks to me like numbers are increasing (as usual) and trade will steady improve. It was all doom and gloom last year, but that was our best year for 3 years. Tenerife isnīt just about the Brits!

Thanks the heavens that someone with a business interest can come on here and honestly say what I believe to be generally true of well run businesses. Simply put. They will always be successful. 22 years here and the number of times I,ve been told that the end is nigh is incredible. Yes, the world at large is having a difficult time and Tenerife is not exempt from that. The figures being given out by the authorities show an increase in tourists coming here, year after year. Nowadays they are spread more widespread as opposed to PdlCruz, LC, PDLA and Gigantes. Some have never heard of Candalaria, Tegueste, Icod etc etc. So long as there are people like us around the message, according to Jimsandi, will be laughed at if not ignored.

AJP
17-07-2011, 00:03
thanks the heavens that someone with a business interest can come on here and honestly say what i believe to be generally true of well run businesses. Simply put. They will always be successful. 22 years here and the number of times i,ve been told that the end is nigh is incredible. Yes, the world at large is having a difficult time and tenerife is not exempt from that. The figures being given out by the authorities show an increase in tourists coming here, year after year. Nowadays they are spread more widespread as opposed to pdlcruz, lc, pdla and gigantes. Some have never heard of candalaria, tegueste, icod etc etc. So long as there are people like us around the message, according to jimsandi, will be laughed at if not ignored.
your message will be listened to ....jims will be ignored

Margaretta
17-07-2011, 00:17

We were at a party today and being summer, albeit cold and rain-pouring, we all seemed to be discussing holidays. By the sound of it food and drink are far cheaper in the Canary Islands than most of the popular European resorts. We were in the Magical Isle two weeks ago and the airport was heaving with people arriving. No sunbeds at our pools they were so full of Spanish holidaymakers.
Looking good for the Tenerife Summer!:cheer::cheer:

The pictures are of El Medano on Saturday about three weeks ago!

AJP
17-07-2011, 01:04
Without trying to indulge the OP why,when talking about Tenerife,does everything revolve around the UK market.when we come over this August there will be people from all sorts of places.

tonypub
17-07-2011, 03:32
best june ever(in ten year)for me.packed tonight.:gun:gimpandsi

Added after 3 minutes:

best june ever(in ten year)for me.packed tonight.:gun:gimpandsiturkey is now dearer than spain,egypt is unsafe.yes theres many unsold holidays/huge discounts,but its a tenerife forum,not a middle east one?please quit it jim.tfs will be busy till we die.you know it.

Added after 2 minutes:

op at 10-01pm.i bet hes up at the crack of dawn with a lil stiffy on to see the reaction hes got.

ill look in at 11am to see if im banned,lol.x

Added after 4 Hours 29 minutes:

note to self-keep of here when ive had a drink.:drinking::stars:

Jimandsi
17-07-2011, 10:32

I'll be over in September / October again for about five weeks.

Rather than rent our usual villa in del Duque, I'm going to seriously consider an all inclusive package in a four or five star hotel.

---

@tonypub. Funnily enough, we just had a brilliant June as well. Turnover up and gross margin even better. Mind you, we're not solely reliant on the whinging Brits.

maggie
17-07-2011, 10:39
I think Tenerife will struggle for several years to come but it will always be able to reinvent itself. The more multicultural the island, the better. The Brit visitors were always disproportionate and about time their numbers are reduced and counteracted by other nationalities.
Besides, I would rather have 2 people spending €100 than 50 people spending €1 each. :whistle:

doreen
17-07-2011, 10:47
I think Tenerife will struggle for several years to come but it will always be able to reinvent itself. The more multicultural the island, the better. The Brit visitors were always disproportionate and about time their numbers are reduced and counteracted by other nationalities.
Besides, I would rather have 2 people spending €100 than 50 people spending €1 each. :whistle:

Does not always compute "maggie" :) 50 people take up more accommodation, taxis, buy more bottles of beer :)

junglejim
17-07-2011, 11:18
Cabildoīs analysis of Tourism in Canaries over last 20 yrs

http://www.gobiernodecanarias.org/turismo/estad/pasajeros/20_turismo_extr_con_observatorio.pdf

Looks like it might be on turn?

tonypub
17-07-2011, 11:20
imho the nationalitys other than brits are as tight as they come,they never seem to be happy,dont seem to have a good time.you can put them anywhere in the world but all they want is a wall to sit on to look glum n count there centimos

maggie
17-07-2011, 11:30
Does not always compute "maggie" :) 50 people take up more accommodation, taxis, buy more bottles of beer :)

You are quite correct "fancyfree50" but when they all end up in AI it doesn't help the wider economy, does it. I think it's going to be a difficult balancing act for the island. :crazy:

tonypub
17-07-2011, 11:32
I'll be over in September / October again for about five weeks.

Rather than rent our usual villa in del Duque, .
anything to do with the illeagal lettings thread:whistle:

sleepy
17-07-2011, 11:34
If this place is doing as well as many seem to think,how is it that some hotels are treating their staff like muck,sacking long term employees and giving the rest an option of taking a pay cut(bearing in mind the wages are low in the first place) or threatening them with the elbow.
It's high time Tenerife was made to follow the rules like the rest of the European community.

doreen
17-07-2011, 11:35
You are quite correct "fancyfree50" but when they all end up in AI it doesn't help the wider economy, does it. I think it's going to be a difficult balancing act for the island. :crazy:

As I said before, I never was FancyFree50 :)

50 in AI still probably has more benefits for the wider Tenerife economy (employment in the hotels, laundry companies, food providers etc) than 2 people spending 100 euros

Margaretta
17-07-2011, 11:47
Now, now. We LOVE the north of the island but the waiters all think we are Dutch, Belgian or German even though hubby isn't in lederhosen and a feathered trilby and I don't wear a dirndle skirt, ankle socks, clogs and carry walking poles!;) There it is not quite so 'Anglicised'.
Seriously, there are many communities on the island and some live and holiday more quietly than others. What is great is that the communities do live amongst each other e.g. huge populations of Spanish around the park by the Princesa Dacil and up behind the harbour. Los Cristianos still is a Canarian 'village' with European, Chinese, African, Indian populations both residents and holiday-makers. So much of the island is residential and if you live in a place, you are less likely to seek outside entertainment or eat out each evening. There is such a wonderful variety of everything to enjoy on the island. Our friends are just back from the Cape Verde Islands and although their hotel was marvellous the surroundings were very underdeveloped, lacked interesting scenery, flora and fauna and they are soon joining us in Tenerife again. So many people return to the island and recommend it, that there is no reason for it not to keep rising in popularity.

maggie
17-07-2011, 11:53
You are quite correct dear. :crazy:

dokgolf
17-07-2011, 12:35
imho the nationalitys other than brits are as tight as they come,they never seem to be happy,dont seem to have a good time.you can put them anywhere in the world but all they want is a wall to sit on to look glum n count there centimos

Strange, I always thought that about the Brits!;)

onelegnofeet
17-07-2011, 13:38
Tenerife as i see it ......................is marred by those who judge it on what it once offered the lager louts( NOW GONE ),Veronicas with its 18/30( GRADUALLY DIMINISHING ) and the fact its entirely British domain (NOT IF YOU LOOK IN THE RIGHT AREAS it doesnt have to be so ,unless you wish ).But imo the biggest killers of Tenerife are the Tour Operators who seem firstly to push clientel towards eastern europe,Mexico etc now because they make more money from the hotels ,and secondly to make somewhere near the same profit keep Tenerifes holidays /hotels prices up at an unfair advantage .Yesterday 2 weeks AI in 4 star Mexico hotel Ģ850 ,2 weeks 3 star AI tenerife Ģ1045 for the same weeks ..........so where do you think Mr & Mrs Average are going to book ?? If they think Tenerife is still as it once was .

PS Not all BRITS are miserable ,just like not all forum members are miserable .............but it can rub off !!!

maggie
17-07-2011, 13:48

No basis in reality whatsoever.
Obviously you prefer a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness.
The epitomy of a Brit bar owner. :lol::crylaughing:

onelegnofeet
17-07-2011, 13:52
Obviously you prefer a steady stream of greedy simpletons whose delusion is only matched by their clumsiness.

He probably would ............when are you and your family going ???:whistle::whistle:

Suej
17-07-2011, 13:56
Half-price sunshine:

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article-2015295/Half-price-sunshine-Desperate-holiday-firms-offer-discounts-50-bookings-slump.html#ixzz1SIvSeJZf

On the contrary Jimbo, All holiday complexes I know are reporting good bookings which extend into the winter! Excursions are up as well!:)

maggie
17-07-2011, 13:59
He probably would ............when are you and your family going ???:whistle::whistle:

We live on the island so we get to see these simpletons every day sadly. :crazy:
Perhaps you should go easy on the sherry or you'll end up "legless"|

tonypub
17-07-2011, 14:00
No basis in reality whatsoever.
The epitomy of a Brit bar owner. :lol::crylaughing:if thats what it takes,it will do me.cant see me learning german,french,italian to cater for there market,although i did have a skandi bar for 3 years.

We live on the island so we get to see these simpletons every day sadly. :crazy:oh to be elite like you.no thanks.........

onelegnofeet
17-07-2011, 14:06
We live on the island so we get to see these simpletons every day sadly. :crazy:

Who needs sherry ???!!!

maggie
17-07-2011, 14:20
if thats what it takes,it will do me.cant see me learning german,french,italian to cater for there market,although i did have a skandi bar for 3 years.

oh to be elite like you.no thanks.........

No need to explain yourself, no CV required, you should concentrate on the present/future not on the past. Not particularly interested in your "experience".

Who needs sherry ???!!!

Well, if drugs/med is your thing then it's your business.
This is a family forum so keep your bad habits to yourself.

Santiago
17-07-2011, 14:29
Is this not the usual happening at this time of year? It is an annual gimmick by the travel companies to sell off their available holidays in the peak of the season. Undoubtedly there is bound to be a drop in holidaying abroad at the moment, especially to North Africa and the Middle East, and most certainly some families are finding finance difficult at this time as the cost of living has increased. I don't really think that Tenerife, or any of the Canary Islands, need to worry too much unless, of course, there is the problem with the private lettings - as per the other thread.

TOTO 99
17-07-2011, 14:39
No need to explain yourself, no CV required, you should concentrate on the present/future not on the past. Not particularly interested in your "experience".

Maggie I hope your marriage to Jimbo goes well. I've never seen a couple better suited to each other. :)

onelegnofeet
17-07-2011, 14:41

mmmmmmmmmmm .....and your telling me about bad habits !!! read your posts:crazy::crazy:

timmylish
17-07-2011, 14:53
This is a family forum so keep your bad habits to yourself.[/QUOTE]

What on earth are you on about, pray tell me (since its a Sunday)?

maggie
17-07-2011, 15:16
Maggie I hope your marriage to Jimbo goes well. I've never seen a couple better suited to each other. :)

If only you knew what your name meant in Creole. You are perfect for it. :crylaughing::crylaughing:

What on earth are you on about, pray tell me (since its a Sunday)?

I personally think you've gone OTT with your medication today Timmy.
Don't let me stop you going all the way my dear. :crazy:

9PLUS
17-07-2011, 15:20
pfft.............

x

marbro8
17-07-2011, 15:22
If only you knew what your name meant in Creole. You are perfect for it. :crylaughing::crylaughing:

I personally think you've gone OTT with your medication today Timmy.
Don't let me stop you going all the way my dear. :crazy: and i personally think you have come on here to wind people up and to be generally rude to longstanding and well respected members!!!

maggie
17-07-2011, 15:26
and i personally think you have come on here to wind people up and to be generally rude to longstanding and well respected members!!!

Never met a Walsall supporter with any respect.
They're all a bunch of yobos :eyebrows:

marbro8
17-07-2011, 15:29
Never met a Walsall supporter with any respect.
They're all a bunch of yobos :eyebrows: lol are you one of those members with another user name with a grudge!!?

dede
17-07-2011, 15:29
Maggie has only made 13 posts since joining and everyone has been either an insult or a rude comment so i think everyone should put her on their ignore list as im sure she has only joined to cause trouble, she may just go away, what do they call it now??? trolling......

Zara
17-07-2011, 15:44

I have just spent 3 hours selling books for K9 at Nancy Spain's opposite the Sunday market - I was doing the PR bit and after 30 mins. started making mental notes. Only 1 in 5 people that I spoke to were British. The rest were made up of Spanish, French, Danish, German and Russian/ East European. Plenty of people around, but not what we have come to expect at this time of the year.

Whoever said PRing was a doddle needs to think again - I now have a lot of sympathy with these people :)

Maggie, I donīt think we know each other but you seem to have a knack of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it. I find your constant references to Doreen as someone she isnīt and now to Oneleg offensive. Perhaps you should find out about these people before you make judgement remarks. However while I may find your comments distasteful knowing both Doreen and Oneleg they have broad enough shoulders to take what you say with the pinch of salt it deserves.

DeedeeTipperary
17-07-2011, 16:18
Zara I agree with you about the one in five being British :) on our jeep safari a couple of weeks ago my family of four were the only english speaking among the trip . I am not sure how many were on the safari , there was at least 80 people , but we got a guide to ourselves a great guy called Colin . He told us that very few brits are taking the trips at the moment because of the economy , which is a pity but hopefully this will improve in the future .
We even noticed at the waterpark the amount of many different nationalities were there and that it wasnt predominately english speaking folk .
On our flight home to Cork there were at least 15-20 empty seats , surely the airlines should sell these seats off cheaply and give people a good deal !
Anyway fingers crossed we will be back next year , and I have done so much talking about terrific Tenerife to my family , that I might even get some more to come with me :crossfingers:

Zara
17-07-2011, 17:07
I have just seen that Maggie (dear) has been banned - what a shame, I really donīt understand why people report this sort of troll, (admittedly it took me a long time to realise they were a troll and not just someone with a grudge). they should be left to get on with what they are doing, in time, everyone can see what they are. Nobody really takes them seriously and by being banned they feel they have won, because they have managed to upset so many people. Personally I wish they had stayed it could have made for some interesting threads (love):crylaughing::crylaughing:

howard thornton
17-07-2011, 17:11
I have just seen that Maggie (dear) has been banned - what a shame, I really donīt understand why people report this sort of troll, (admittedly it took me a long time to realise they were a troll and not just someone with a grudge). they should be left to get on with what they are doing, in time, everyone can see what they are. Nobody really takes them seriously and by being banned they feel they have won, because they have managed to upset so many people. Personally I wish they had stayed it could have made for some interesting threads (love):crylaughing::crylaughing:

yep, what a shame.had you all going.another post to off topic?

bonitatime
17-07-2011, 17:14
We see a lot of Italians in the shop who all seem perfectly happy. The Faņabe area is fairly international with a good mixture of nationalities.

LeFrunk
17-07-2011, 17:16
Well , i have 11 people comming out this Aug not including 3 of us , they are staying in owner apts so giving the owners a wee turn , they , like myself will be doing the shopping , eating out , some trips and the bar scene . I dont think any of us are on a tight budget as they put the money away for the trip from last summer til this. so bring on the Reef in August . And as for maggies doom and gloom we will have a total spend of 23m euro so almost all the shops , cafes and bars will get a wee turn .

howard thornton
17-07-2011, 17:21
Well , i have 11 people comming out this Aug not including 3 of us , they are staying in owner apts so giving the owners a wee turn , they , like myself will be doing the shopping , eating out , some trips and the bar scene . I dont think any of us are on a tight budget as they put the money away for the trip from last summer til this. so bring on the Reef in August . And as for maggies doom and gloom we will have a total spend of 23m euro so almost all the shops , cafes and bars will get a wee turn .

23 million?begging letter on its way. lol

LeFrunk
17-07-2011, 17:34
23 million?begging letter on its way. lol

sorry Howard , 23m Turkish lira , we will get it changed over there , ha ha ha .

howard thornton
17-07-2011, 17:43
sorry Howard , 23m Turkish lira , we will get it changed over there , ha ha ha .

oh i see 3o bob. i will buy you a pint then.:drinking:

SuzyQ
17-07-2011, 18:00
All I can add is that both OH and I work in the entertainment sector, and have had the best May / June for several years. This is in terms of numbers in the venues we work, which are both aimed at the Brit market. These months are always the quietest of the year, and to see so many people about has been brilliant. It feels to me we have turned the corner, and turned it quicker than I could have hoped for. Long may it continue.

cheery
17-07-2011, 18:32
I go on another forum for boats and the question was posed regarding trade in June. Most people who were self employed or ran their own business said that trade was up. Us included (fish and chip shop), in fact we were around 16% up. When we have mastered fish and chips here we might even open up over there!

Sal
17-07-2011, 18:38
It still cost me less by doing booking on my own(flights ect) and not via a travel agent site..........

I'm not at all surprised holiday companies are having to heavily discount their holidays. Most package holidays are vastly overpriced, and most people now realise the huge savings can be made booking their own flights through the many budget airlines and booking own accomodation via travel republic/alpharooms/booking.com just to mention a few.

Most people I know are still taking their holidays abroad, its just that if its in Europe or Canaries they're doing it independently and don't need a package.

We would never do a package to Tenerife now! Much cheaper to rent a private apartment and buy flights online.
Package tour operators are just rip-off merchants............that's why they can afford to discount their packages by 50%!

onelegnofeet
17-07-2011, 18:51
generally rude to longstanding and well respected members!!!

OI! ..........................and me !!! Just a member Long Sitting .

Just remember though banned he/she can still view the forum posts and Threads !!! So still in the limelight BAH!

Jimandsi
17-07-2011, 18:57
Is this not the usual happening at this time of year? It is an annual gimmick by the travel companies to sell off their available holidays in the peak of the season. Undoubtedly there is bound to be a drop in holidaying abroad at the moment, especially to North Africa and the Middle East, and most certainly some families are finding finance difficult at this time as the cost of living has increased. I don't really think that Tenerife, or any of the Canary Islands, need to worry too much unless, of course, there is the problem with the private lettings - as per the other thread.

So you think this is a "gimmick" then:-

"Thomas Cook, Britain’s second biggest holiday company, issued a profits warning earlier this week amid reports they will be as much as Ģ60million lower than expected."

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article-2015295/Half-price-sunshine-Desperate-holiday-firms-offer-discounts-50-bookings-slump.html#ixzz1SO0eoOsW

Try telling that to the shareholders and the staff who will obviously be very concerned about their future.

onelegnofeet
17-07-2011, 19:24
So you think this is a "gimmick" then:-

"Thomas Cook, Britain’s second biggest holiday company, issued a profits warning earlier this week amid reports they will be as much as Ģ60million lower than expected."

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article-2015295/Half-price-sunshine-Desperate-holiday-firms-offer-discounts-50-bookings-slump.html#ixzz1SO0eoOsW

Try telling that to the shareholders and the staff who will obviously be very concerned about their future.

Do you get these people to write these specially for you Jimbo ............god your so influentail!!!!LOL

Harmonicaman
17-07-2011, 19:36
From your link Jimbo,

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/Capture-17.png

Do you think a "Normal" price of Ģ3,085 is right for 2 adults and 2 kids under 12 years for 7 nights half-board in Princesa Dacil? I think that's a rip-off and that is why they can give a 39% discount. No wonder people are boycotting travel agencies and building their own holidays.:)

delderek
17-07-2011, 19:42
From your link Jimbo,

Do you think a "Normal" price of Ģ3,085 is right for 2 adults and 2 kids under 12 years for 7 nights half-board in Princesa Dacil? I think that's a rip-off and that is why they can give a 39% discount. No wonder people are boycotting travel agencies and building their own holidays.:)

Especially the Princessa Dacil, they should pay you for staying there.:whistle:

Zara
17-07-2011, 19:50
From your link Jimbo,

Using the same criteria as above - HM if you go directly to the hotel you can get a weeks half board for Precio final €690,48 Impuestos incluidos - Coste equivalente 607.04 GBP Coste de la estancia GARANTIZADO That leaves a whole 2478 GBP for flights :whistle:

candy2411
17-07-2011, 19:59
Tenerife seems as popular as ever as far as I can see.

My family are due to come out with me in August. My apartment is in Silencio, and although delightful to me I can well understand there is not a great deal for the young ones, so with this in mind we always book a few nights at a 4* hotel we like in PDLA, and this was booked a few months ago.

Earlier today I tried to book an extra few nights and guess what!!!! the hotel and nearly every alternative I tried were all fully booked for the whole of August!

Personally I don't mind, as Silencio and neighbouring Las Galletas is perfect for me , so if its too quiet for the younger members they 'll either hire a car or use taxis.

If the holiday companies are finding it difficult to fill their holiday accomodation then it must be other destinations and NOT Tenerife !!

Jimandsi
17-07-2011, 20:06
Using the same criteria as above - HM if you go directly to the hotel you can get a weeks half board for Precio final €690,48 Impuestos incluidos - Coste equivalente 607.04 GBP Coste de la estancia GARANTIZADO That leaves a whole 2478 GBP for flights :whistle:

Ģ607 ! ! !

For Mum, Dad and two kid half board ! ! !

Blimey, I remember that place being built. It must still have the same decor / furnishings etc.

By the way, you didn't allow for their bus fares in your calculations Zara. :raspberry2:

TOTO 99
17-07-2011, 20:11
Ģ607 ! ! !

Blimey, I remember that place being built. It must still have the same decor /furnishings etc.

By the way, you didn't allow for their bus fare in your calculations Zara. :raspberry2:

Jimbo you remember Rome being built! :)

Zara
17-07-2011, 20:12
Ģ607 ! ! !

Blimey, I remember that place being built. It must still have the same decor /furnishings etc.

By the way, you didn't allow for their bus fare in your calculations Zara. :raspberry2:

I thought if they got a Bono card the driver would pay THEM to travel on the bus:whistle:

Jimandsi
17-07-2011, 20:15
@ Toto post #70 .....

Not quite - I sometimes feel like I do though ;)

Zara
17-07-2011, 20:16
I wouldn't want to stay at the Abama or the Princesa Dacil but the Villa Cortes will do nicely. :queen:

candy2411
17-07-2011, 20:36
:stars:Hotel Cleopatra palace suits me !!

Margaretta
17-07-2011, 20:43
Oneleg, I've just read this tonight and think you deserve a gold award for being so funny and a really good sport. It's always sad when someone is banned but they were very, very rude to you and others and you handled it brilliantly and in a gentlemanly manner. People have to learn the difference between genuine and cruel wit. I hope the person returns with a pleasanter attitude and can express their ideas without insult. Emoticons used were also with sarcasm. What's the point? I would think that most Forum members don't want to be banned and have too much respect for each other to be so impolite? A sensible, intense and interesting discussion does not emerge from this sort of behaviour.

I still think there is a need for the more expensive hotels on the island but have never stayed in one (perhaps the member with 23m would.....?;) In the North of the island some hotels are now changed into apartment blocks. I wonder whether that will happen in the south?

Jackie
17-07-2011, 20:47
I can't comment on package holidays, my last one was 30 years ago and it was our first visit to Tenerife, Puerta de la Cruz. Since then we have always made our own holiday arrangements directly with the accommodation and also sourced our own flights. We do however have friends who until earlier this year always booked through a tour operator, they felt that paying through the nose would get them a better holiday??? In April this year they booked a short stay at Hotel Vulcano as well as their flights through a tour operator. They loved it so much they wanted to return for 5 days in May, I got them direct contact details of the hotel and this is how they booked their accommodation for their second visit there, and they actually booked their flights themselves this time. The hotel cost them 150 euros each for 5 nights half board and their flights 70 euros return. They were shocked at the amount they had saved compared to their visit a month before and have finally realised what a rip off Tour operators are.

Loaded
17-07-2011, 20:50
Our figures this year; may 30% up. June 50% up , July 50% up august 90% up so far!

It's quiet alright!

YOUNG GOLFER
17-07-2011, 21:04
Especially the Princessa Dacil, they should pay you for staying there.:whistle:

Spent a lot of my weekend at the Dacil (friends there)and i found it not too bad....

They just paid for a extra day AI 30 pounds each.

willowlily
17-07-2011, 22:03
Our figures this year; may 30% up. June 50% up , July 50% up august 90% up so far!

It's quiet alright!

i think you mean it's quite alright

Loaded
17-07-2011, 22:25
Lol defo.

I don't think we're the only ones enjoying things at the moment, I think most places must be doing well also it's just that it's more interesting or newsworthy to have a doom and gloom article

Malteser Monkey
17-07-2011, 23:01
Half-price sunshine:

Jimbo sweetheart - take time out I haven't bothered reading a single post in this thread so everyone knock me down - or those who know me won't even bother. Wipe that spoon hun it's still got the same salsa on from before hun ?Love you !

onelegnofeet
17-07-2011, 23:21
Oneleg, I've just read this tonight and think you deserve a gold award for being so funny and a really good sport. It's always sad when someone is banned but they were very, very rude to you and others and you handled it brilliantly and in a gentlemanly manner.

I missed his/her remarks to others so really cant comment .but those aimed at me i regarded as banter and not as insults but thats possibley me being a tad ..........thick lol
thanks for your concerns though X

Plus ,i have a good idea who it was ,and we always had a good bit of banter inthe good old days

tracey
18-07-2011, 05:30
We are a new business (on the island) so we expected to be quiet. June was but before and after was good. The Italians and Germans saw us through. Now the Irish and Scottish are out in force!!

Added after 5 minutes:

I missed his/her remarks to others so really cant comment .but those aimed at me i regarded as banter and not as insults but thats possibley me being a tad ..........thick lol
thanks for your concerns though X

Plus ,i have a good idea who it was ,and we always had a good bit of banter inthe good old days

I have not been here long but I think i can guess too. I am a trained administer so the style of type really gives people :raspberry::raspberry::raspberry::raspberry::raspb erry::raspberry::raspberry:away:raspberry::raspber ry:

Balcony
18-07-2011, 18:01
What's wrong with what Jamandis said? Too many people in Tenerife have their heads in the sand and content to ignore reality and try and 'talk it up' without any real prospect. If bookings are down they are down. You can't say 'come anyway, it's all alright'. It clearly isn't alright. Tenerife's is not alone, but as was clear from past events you have to give people a real reason to continue to come out to Tenerife by getting rid of the tat and poor services, giving good value - a smile would help too - and making them feel secure in their choice.

Are traders and residents banding together and trying to put pressure on local government - and airlines - to change things to help alleviate, or is it just left to the locals to stage strike and protest?

Is there an incentive to fly? I looked for flights for next week (as ouir camping plans becomes rained off) and flights all Ģ250+ each. It's all very well for airlines to get money months in advance, but people like to trave last minite. I also looked at New York...flights only over Ģ1600 for both of us! Some incentive.

I say the same things about the town where I life, where a lot of shops have closed. Can't move for blooming charity shops and everyone who opens thinks they can run a cafe! One shop was refitted more than a year ago as yet another cafe, but never even opened. The reality is that if you don't give people what they want to buy they will not spend.

I love Tenerife, but I'm not going to tell my friends it's great if it's not. Tenerife has the weather, a good start. It has a lot of good restaurants and bars. It also has a lot of feeble, poorly run places. There are some good shops in places like Los Cristianos, but also some shops that should have shut decades ago. I said on another post that there is nothing I would take back home as a souvenir - maybe there is some niche market that someone can exploit here!?

Jimandsi. You "Bad" But you state the obvious. Unfortunately not everyone wants to hear, see or read it!! Tenerife will slump this year "AGAIN" but all we busines owners can do is hope that it comes back in 2012 and beyond. The feedback Iīm getting from my clients is that jobs are still on the line in the UK. Lots of of Change still to happen. So those new kitchens, and conservatories are all being put on the back-boiler. Holidayīs are coming last. Iīm one of ten with loadsa neices and nephews and great neices and nephews and great great neices and nephews and their all saying the same thing. Their watching the pennies cos there is no certainty where their going to be in the next three months. Watch this space. Itīs not just Tenerife. Itīs All Over!!!

WeeJake
18-07-2011, 18:47
What's wrong with what Jamandis said? Too many people in Tenerife have their heads in the sand and content to ignore reality and try and 'talk it up' without any real prospect. If bookings are down they are down. You can't say 'come anyway, it's all alright'. It clearly isn't alright. Tenerife's is not alone, but as was clear from past events you have to give people a real reason to continue to come out to Tenerife by getting rid of the tat and poor services, giving good value - a smile would help too - and making them feel secure in their choice.

Are traders and residents banding together and trying to put pressure on local government - and airlines - to change things to help alleviate, or is it just left to the locals to stage strike and protest?

Is there an incentive to fly? I looked for flights for next week (as ouir camping plans becomes rained off) and flights all Ģ250+ each. It's all very well for airlines to get money months in advance, but people like to trave last minite. I also looked at New York...flights only over Ģ1600 for both of us! Some incentive.

I say the same things about the town where I life, where a lot of shops have closed. Can't move for blooming charity shops and everyone who opens thinks they can run a cafe! One shop was refitted more than a year ago as yet another cafe, but never even opened. The reality is that if you don't give people what they want to buy they will not spend.

I love Tenerife, but I'm not going to tell my friends it's great if it's not. Tenerife has the weather, a good start. It has a lot of good restaurants and bars. It also has a lot of feeble, poorly run places. There are some good shops in places like Los Cristianos, but also some shops that should have shut decades ago. I said on another post that there is nothing I would take back home as a souvenir - maybe there is some niche market that someone can exploit here!?

I donīt think thereīs anything wrong with what Jimandsi said. In fact. I concur completely!

Jimandsi
18-07-2011, 18:48
Ayup,

I see a "clique" coming on :crylaughing:

WeeJake
18-07-2011, 19:01
Ayup,

I see a "clique" coming on :crylaughing:

"You Bad"!!!

bonitatime
18-07-2011, 19:26
Interestingly I am in the Princesa Dacil most weeks and every client I talk to is happy with the rooms and hotel.
We are in our first year and therefore I can't comment on how things are but talking to others with a shop things are up on last year.
My other half has more clients and they are spending more further down the coast.
Things are not how they were several years ago but they are certainly better than 2 years ago. We can all be doom and gloom but where does it get you. Adeje council are spending a fortune upgrading the area which can only reflect well.

Balcony
18-07-2011, 21:23
Opps, sorry. I must have read too quickly. No offence intended.

I donīt think thereīs anything wrong with what Jimandsi said. In fact. I concur completely!

fonica
19-07-2011, 09:17
Have alook at DEEDEES'S post "what a beautiful place and what beautiful people".This will cheer you up instead of reading all the neg comments.

doreen
19-07-2011, 10:57
Well, I drove past Siam Park half an hour ago - never saw so many people queueing to get in, car park full, people streaming over the two nearby bridges ... Not Quiet :)

onelegnofeet
19-07-2011, 11:26
Well, I drove past Siam Park half an hour ago - never saw so many people queueing to get in, car park full, people streaming over the two nearby bridges ... Not Quiet :)

What makes that worse is i tell people to go on a change over day to avoid so many people ............now taking foot out of mouth !!! well i would

sleepy
19-07-2011, 11:28

Yes the Canarian schools broke up weeks ago :)

doreen
19-07-2011, 11:29
Yes the Canarian schools broke up weeks ago :)

Lot of tourists in there too ... you know, the untanned ones :)

tonypub
19-07-2011, 11:32
Lot of tourists in there too ... you know, the untanned ones :)so you consider yourself a tourist dor?:raspberry2:

onelegnofeet
19-07-2011, 11:35

Bigot !!!!lol

reggie
19-07-2011, 11:38
Bigot !!!!lol

Well i didnt want to push my luck, but i thought thats a bit racist :whistle:

MaxineC
19-07-2011, 11:45

You really need to stop spending so much time in front of the mirror.... :whistle:

I'm out and about in the resort everyday, and if this is quiet god help us.... the place is positively buzzing at the moment!

sleepy
19-07-2011, 11:51

Yeah they'll be the wrong type....you know,the ones who use all incs and don't spend anything except at theme parks.:lol:

onelegnofeet
19-07-2011, 12:27
the place is positively buzzing at the moment!

Are you sure its not that Thingy in your Bag ????

MaxineC
19-07-2011, 12:29
Are you sure its not that Thingy in your Bag ????

They don't work so good in a bag.... perhaps you need to read the instructions again OL :crylaughing:

onelegnofeet
19-07-2011, 12:31
They don't work so good in a bag.... perhaps you need to read the instructions again OL :crylaughing:

Can you get them with instructions then ??? ............well apart from "Used wrongly this item may chip your teeth !!!"

MaxineC
19-07-2011, 12:45
Can you get them with instructions then ??? ............well apart from "Used wrongly this item may chip your teeth !!!"

They often come with little pictures to show you... handy for the hard of reading fraternity :D

onelegnofeet
19-07-2011, 13:12
They often come with little pictures to show you... handy for the hard of reading fraternity :D

I hear some even need ..................MAPS

MaxineC
19-07-2011, 19:16
I hear some even need ..................MAPS

Yes, 99% of men... :whistle:

onelegnofeet
19-07-2011, 19:19
WOW a compliment in my hour of need ,many thanks from MR ONEPERCENT .

PS i thought you were out Celebousyrating ???

marbro8
19-07-2011, 19:42
OI! ..........................and me !!! Just a member Long Sitting .

Just remember though banned he/she can still view the forum posts and Threads !!! So still in the limelight BAH!it was you i was refering to mate:spin:

MaxineC
19-07-2011, 20:09
WOW a compliment in my hour of need ,many thanks from MR ONEPERCENT .

PS i thought you were out Celebousyrating ???

I was out celebousyrating, but I also did a lot of that last night, so a more chilled day today... ;)

Oh, and it was VERY busy everywhere... :whistle: