PDA

View Full Version : Re Registering a right hand drive car in Tenerife

ddoyle
17-07-2011, 12:26
As we get closer to the move to Tenerife I am getting a little aprehensive regarding reregistering my right hand drive car in Tenerife just read the section in Tenerife Lifeline regarding registering cars and was wondering if any forum member has gone through the process of reregistering their R/H drive car any tips advice would be appreciated.

tenerifegal
17-07-2011, 12:45
depending on the age and value of the car, it is a long drawn out process, if you want to purchase one here i have mine for sale as i now am moving back to the Uk, see my other ad suzuki gran vitara xl 7 now at a bargain price of 3500 euros it cost us 2000 euros to get it onto spanish plates

A.P.&.S.S
17-07-2011, 13:05
As we get closer to the move to Tenerife I am getting a little aprehensive regarding reregistering my right hand drive car in Tenerife just read the section in Tenerife Lifeline regarding registering cars and was wondering if any forum member has gone through the process of reregistering their R/H drive car any tips advice would be appreciated.

There has been lots of threads on here about registering a UK car......My opinion (for what it may be worth!) is sell your car in the UK, transfer the cash and buy out here. I did that about 3 months ago and I am now sitting on the same side as all the other drivers here?! I beleive it can be a long drawn out and expencive process here?!

What ever you decide I hope its as easy as poss for you :D

Pooh
17-07-2011, 13:41
If it's an ordinary car, I wouldn't bother transferring it... Sell, and buy another one here.
Only case would be if it's a unique or custom made car, and even then I would think it over, hard.

atlantico
17-07-2011, 14:28
my Range Rover cost £700 to bring over and €1250 in fees, taxes etc, including ITV. the import duty/tax goes on what the government say its worth, not what you think its value is !

timmylish
17-07-2011, 14:57
As I think I,ve mentioned to you before. Its a complete waste of money going thru' that process. See what happens when you want to sell it here!

sleepy
17-07-2011, 15:16

Don't go there!!Far too much red tape,bureaucracy and mounds of unnecessary paperwork out here which will cause you a ton of expense and stress and then you'd need to pay someone else to do it.

ddoyle
17-07-2011, 15:41
As I think I,ve mentioned to you before. Its a complete waste of money going thru' that process. See what happens when you want to sell it here!
Hi Timmy you gave me some very sound advice on the old forum re, importing or buying one in Tenerife. I am caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment. I drive an Audi A4 1.8 T 2005 the car is in exceptionally good condition, due to the current economic climate in Ireland I stand to lose about €5000, if I try to sell it here in Ireland.

Ashro Autos
17-07-2011, 16:45
Could you pm me a contact email address and phone number and will get the girl that does all our matriculations (http://ashroautos.com) to contact you.

Added after 39 minutes:

Have forwarded your details

timmylish
17-07-2011, 17:40
Hi Timmy you gave me some very sound advice on the old forum re, importing or buying one in Tenerife. I am caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment. I drive an Audi A4 1.8 T 2005 the car is in exceptionally good condition, due to the current economic climate in Ireland I stand to lose about €5000, if I try to sell it here in Ireland.

For what its worth I reckon your losses may be even greater here but, if you have a love affair with this car then you,ll have to let the heart rule your decision. Whatever Ashro will keep you on the right tracks. All the best anyways!

atlantico
17-07-2011, 18:14
If it were LHD I'd say go for it, as that's what I did with mine. but only import a RHD if you basically will never sell it, as it'll be near worthless when the time comes.

Sell it at 5k loss in Ireland, buy a cheaper LHD one over there THEN import it. LHD in Uk/Ireland are generally cheaper to buy anyway

dunno how much they are worth, but look at www.my-lhd.co.uk (http://www.my-lhd.co.uk) website for ones between £15k-£20k for 2007 to 2009 LHD models