PDA

View Full Version : What makes a troll tick?

dede
17-07-2011, 18:33
There has been a number of trolls on here lately, and im no expert but they have been pretty obvious from their first post, but why do people respond to them?? and some even enjoy an argument with them, does this make a normal posters turn into a troll??? I just cant see the logic of being a troll when all the outcome is that they get banned ???? whats it all about????and what kind of person becomes a troll in the first place?????????

Jimandsi
17-07-2011, 18:38
Would you describe yourself as a "troll" dede ?

dede
17-07-2011, 18:39

No definately not...

Harmonicaman
17-07-2011, 18:43
I know what makes a clock tick, and this is a sheep tick
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/imagesqtbnANd9GcRGgcOeTUAlD2aHQTz2z.jpg
but I have no idea what makes a troll tick!

Jimandsi
17-07-2011, 19:01

No definately not...

Maybe we ought to have a poll on that ?

onelegnofeet
17-07-2011, 19:22
"Dont take notice "
"Dont Answer them "
"Dont respond to them "
"Dont give them the time of day "
"Dont let them wind you up "

All quotes taken from the past few weeks

NO .......................Just start a thread about them ,"LIMELIGHT":crazy::crazy::crazy:

Zara
17-07-2011, 19:27
http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/images/smilies/TearHair.gif Surely we have only just finished this discussion on the 'Disgruntled members with fake profiles'

tizzywizzy
17-07-2011, 19:29
could it be this

howard thornton
17-07-2011, 19:32
"Dont take notice "
"Dont Answer them "
"Dont respond to them "
"Dont give them the time of day "
"Dont let them wind you u
All quotes taken from the past few weeks

NO .......................Just start a thread about them ,"LIMELIGHT":crazy::crazy::crazy:

and don't do as i do ,do as i say.:whistle:

Chris P. Bacon
17-07-2011, 19:35
Just waiting for the cavalry to arrive :crazy:

howard thornton
17-07-2011, 19:39
Just waiting for the cavalry to arrive :crazy: posse being rounded up,

CIM
17-07-2011, 21:06
The best analysis and description of internet / forum trolls I have ever read was this one:
http://webupon.com/web-talk/the-pathology-of-trolls/

See if you recognise some of the traits of some members on here:

A Troll is a person who visits websites to attack other posters. S/he has no position, not political, not social; in short s/he has no ‘point’. Yep - I definitely recognise that trait in some of our forum trolls...

The adult who feels powerless grasps the opportunity to use the anonymity of the Internet to create an all powerful avatar who can attack others with impunity.

And that one...

Trolling is the sad attempt at self validation, just as taking drugs, trolling demands more and more to feed the addiction that props up low self-esteem.makes sense...

Behind the nickname used by the Troll is a pathetic individual who feels helpless. Having to bottle hostility due to physical/intellectual/ emotional weakness. They can not distinguish between positive attention, praise, approval, affection and negative attention, criticism, hatred, disapproval. All Attention = Good.

Recognize our trolls in this article?? I certainly do! One troll in particular... :whistle:

Harmonicaman
17-07-2011, 21:39
Let's send for Billy Goat Gruff no.3!

COL NIL SATIS
17-07-2011, 21:44
The best analysis and description of internet / forum trolls I have ever read was this one:

Yep - I definitely recognise that trait in some of our forum trolls...

And that one...

makes sense...

Recognize our trolls in this article?? I certainly do! One troll in particular... :whistle:

My Blog on here got ruined by trolls ,all leaving ridiculous comments .....hopefully soon we will find a way to permanently delete the posts in my blog that have been (soft) deleted ..but want them permanently gone ,hopefully will suss out how to do it soon

Trolls = Sad People who ruin threads and sometimes Forums

doreen
17-07-2011, 21:49

Another quote from that blog

As Trolls are cowards, they run in packs. It is rare to see a single troll. They take strength from
each other. They delude themselves into believing they are in the majority and their views are
shared by ’everyone’.

Where average people may be proud of an achievement, trolls exalt over their ‘kills’; that is
persons they have ‘run off’ the forum, or message boards they have caused to close.

CIM
17-07-2011, 21:51
Tis a good analysis and description of a forum troll!
Some of the ones we have on here fit like a glove....

timmylish
17-07-2011, 22:00
But what I don,t get is the current necessity to raise this worthless matter? Some seem addicted to this pursuit!

Malteser Monkey
17-07-2011, 22:46
Just waiting for the cavalry to arrive :crazy:

posse being rounded up,

I went for a Carvery tonight it was lovely turkey and beef I was waiting for you posse to arrive as they had afew seats left

Jesus lighten up you lot - if it's not out there you are looking for it - thank god I ain't a mod !

onelegnofeet
17-07-2011, 23:28
thank god i ain't a mod !

.......................................goth ??????