PDA

View Full Version : Airport and safety

rosemary
18-07-2011, 12:04
Please please.......no horror stories as I am frightned enough of flying!! But I live under the flight path in Golf del sur and in the last week I have seen 2 incoming aircraft (couldnīt identify them unfortunately I was too shocked at the time) abort landings on the runway and career off into the sky at almost the final countdown. I am reliably told "it happens. Quite a lot". Is this true? And is it because of the crosswinds here? Anyone able to reassure me that it is perfectly safe to do this?? Aaaagh.......I am sooo glad I was not on those planes.

Vortex Wake
18-07-2011, 12:18
Pilots routinely practice the 'low approach, go around' manoeuvre - so although this may seem scary to you, it is practised for by crew and could be due to a number of factors such as crosswinds or other aircraft still vacating the runway.

'A low approach (sometimes referred to as a low pass) is the go-around manoeuvre following an approach. Instead of landing or making a touch-and-go, a pilot may wish to go around (low approach) in order to expedite a particular operation (a series of practice instrument approaches is an example of such an operation). Unless otherwise authorized by ATC, the low approach should be made straight ahead, with no turns or climb made until the pilot has made a thorough visual check for other aircraft in the area.'

Pooh
18-07-2011, 12:20
Please please.......no horror stories as I am frightned enough of flying!! But I live under the flight path in Golf del sur and in the last week I have seen 2 incoming aircraft (couldnīt identify them unfortunately I was too shocked at the time) abort landings on the runway and career off into the sky at almost the final countdown. I am reliably told "it happens. Quite a lot". Is this true? And is it because of the crosswinds here? Anyone able to reassure me that it is perfectly safe to do this?? Aaaagh.......I am sooo glad I was not on those planes.

It's perfectly normal, and it's exactly to be safe they do it, not the other way around. It's impossible to tell the exact reason, but in clear weather it's likely due to the crosswind component being determined to be too strong at that moment, so they go around and try again. There is always a limit to how much crosswind there can be to land safely.
Since the wind usually varies, it's a decision which has to be made in the last moment, if you can touch down or not.
It can also be made as a practice maneuver, but that's done with no passengers. (And if they practice here, it's local airlines.)

In practice, I've done it thousands of times - in real situations not so many. But it was over 20 years ago I quit working as a pilot.

rosemary
18-07-2011, 12:22
heartfelt thanks to yu both !! I feel better already!:
just a thought though...what do they tell the passengers onboard?

BobMac
18-07-2011, 12:26
We usually stay on the Golf when we are on Tenerife on holiday ( twice a year ) and I can confirm that it does happen occasionally.

We mentioned it to friend who is an aircraft enthusiast and he assured us that it happens on every airport in the world on a fairly regular basis and it is perfectly safe.

There are lots of things which can cause it to happen apparently - birds in the vicinity of runway, too close a gap between the plane coming in and the previous plane etc.

He assured us that there is absolutely nothing to worry about when we see it happening and that if you were on the plane, it feels just like a normal take-off.

Vortex Wake
18-07-2011, 12:27
If you go here ( http://www.flightradar24.com/30.07,-12.75/6 ) Rosemary, you can see the aircraft heading for TFS live (and hence have time to hide behind the sofa) ;)

rosemary
18-07-2011, 12:40
OOOhhh I donīt have the nerve to watch it yet. I shall bookmark it tho!

Added after 5 minutes:

We usually stay on the Golf when we are on Tenerife on holiday ( twice a year ) and I can confirm that it does happen occasionally.

We mentioned it to friend who is an aircraft enthusiast and he assured us that it happens on every airport in the world on a fairly regular basis and it is perfectly safe.

There are lots of things which can cause it to happen apparently - birds in the vicinity of runway, too close a gap between the plane coming in and the previous plane etc.

He assured us that there is absolutely nothing to worry about when we see it happening and that if you were on the plane, it feels just like a normal take-off.

If nobody on the plae was kind enough to warn me in advance I would most likely feel sick...........

TOTO 99
18-07-2011, 12:48
In practice, I've done it thousands of times - in real situations not so many. But it was over 20 years ago I quit working as a pilot.

After what happened at Macho Grande?...:):airplane:

BobMac
18-07-2011, 12:49
Aaaagh.......I am sooo glad I was not on those planes.

Personally, I'd rather be on a plane doing this than on one of the planes which cuts the corner to get into the airport. While staying in San Miguel Villas, we have actually seen a plane coming along the coast towards Los Cristianos from the Los Abrigos side which was still finishing its right turn for the airport over San Blas CC.

cainaries
18-07-2011, 12:57
Quite a lot of going around goes on in La Palma, too. A few years ago we were on a charter flight and were chatting to the stewardess about living here and she told us it was the first time this particular pilot had landed in La Palma. We told her he would probably go around as it is quite a difficult airport to land at. She assured us he had done it on the simulator loads of times. After he did indeed go around she came up to us delighted and said the crew had all had a big bet on after what we'd told her and she'd just won a fiver off all the others!

Personally I would not say it is the same as a normal take-off, quite simply because your mind and body are preparing to land not take off. Only airline I've ever known actually apologise and explain was British Airways so, no, they don't usually say anything.

Pooh
18-07-2011, 13:19
If nobody on the plae was kind enough to warn me in advance I would most likely feel sick...........

It's usually not possible to warn in advance... the only thing would be if the conditions were such so it would make it likely it would happen, but I don't think any pilot would do it anyway, since it would do more harm than good, to worry passengers for something that really is just a safety procedure, but may seem scary for those who doesn't know.

Sure. :p No... Basically people stopped flying 1990, when the first Iraq war started, (Desert Storm, George Bush I), and a lot of Airlines laid off a lot of staff. But I was getting bored with it anyway, and, as it turned our a few years later, wouldn't have been able to continue for medical reasons anyway.

Quite a lot of going around goes on in La Palma, too. A few years ago we were on a charter flight and were chatting to the stewardess about living here and she told us it was the first time this particular pilot had landed in La Palma. We told her he would probably go around as it is quite a difficult airport to land at. She assured us he had done it on the simulator loads of times. After he did indeed go around she came up to us delighted and said the crew had all had a big bet on after what we'd told her and she'd just won a fiver off all the others!

Personally I would not say it is the same as a normal take-off, quite simply because your mind and body are preparing to land not take off. Only airline I've ever known actually apologise and explain was British Airways so, no, they don't usually say anything.

First few minutes after such a maneuver is usually too busy to talk to passengers, unfortunately, both taking care of the flying itself, and talking to ATC, since they have to route you back to the airport again. So it depends on if there is a break in activities when going back to try another approach, if there is any time to say anything...

captain jack sparrow
18-07-2011, 13:48
If you go here ( http://www.flightradar24.com/30.07,-12.75/6 ) Rosemary, you can see the aircraft heading for TFS live (and hence have time to hide behind the sofa) ;)

Wow, that's amazing, never knew there was such a thing, If you right click on a aircraft it gives you all the flight and aircraft details.

rosemary
18-07-2011, 14:13
OK so there is no time to warn the passengers. But if this should ever happen to me, God Forbid, I shall remember this Forum and your kind reassuring words. True! :eek::cool: :confused: :crazy:

timmylish
18-07-2011, 14:22
In addition to the comments by the experts on here, for a few weeks now, there have been unusually severe crosswinds, certainly for this time of the year. I would rather the pilot did this than take any chances.

cainaries
18-07-2011, 14:26

What an amazing link, thank you. Got a bit worried about the one which says 'no call sign' though ... not an invasion, is it? There is a plane now right out north-west of La Palma which is, I'm pretty sure, the Iberia flight from Madrid to here - wonder what it's doing right over there!

irishmusico
18-07-2011, 15:03
I was on a flight to Heathrow a few years ago and the Pilot did a go around.It seemed a bit strange at the time as we were coming into land.He told us the the plane which had landed ahead of us had not got of the runway in time for him to land so he was going to come back for a second go.There was no worries and it all seemed perfectly normal.

I have also been on a Spanair flight to Tenerife south where they did that u turn landing.Touched down just after the end of the turn.Thought it was really cool landing like that.I am sure they know what they are doing.

Thanks for that link.Really cool.

AL JAY
18-07-2011, 15:06
What an amazing link, thank you. Got a bit worried about the one which says 'no call sign' though ... not an invasion, is it? There is a plane now right out north-west of La Palma which is, I'm pretty sure, the Iberia flight from Madrid to here - wonder what it's doing right over there!

If you click on the plane it will tell you all its details, eg height, destination, where it has flown from etc.

Vortex Wake
18-07-2011, 15:24
Also available as an app on iPhone and android .
http://tapatalk.com/mu/50074abc-4420-6ee0.jpg

jackanory
18-07-2011, 16:25
Thanks for this brilliant link - already added to favourites.

rosemary
18-07-2011, 16:29

Macho Grande???? :eek: :confused: OK donīt tell me.......

But I am stuck in bed with a lousy headcold and I have been thinkin....
This is what I mean. I am a person well travelled and of a certain age :whistle: and this is the first time I have see this happen, twice in the space of 7 days. Is it cos I have never lived near an airport I ask? And here is why I worry. When I get on an aircraft I know that I am putting my life in the hands of probably two, charming and experienced and highly skilled people, who will fly me safely to my destination. So I accept this contract, happily. I am resigned. I am no longer in control of my life but hey........this doesnīt matter. These guys who are squeezed into a cockpit the size of an onboard loo (1st class maybe?) are going to take this awesome shiny bird, held together by rivets and glue, up into the atmosphere, these guys they know what they are doing.
But ahem.......now I am being told by ex pilots and knowledgable people that it is "quite common" for the runways to be preoccupied upon approach, or that variable and highly unreliable crosswinds occur regularly, and that approaches can be aborted in a nanosecond of landing by swift action which results in a screaming force of changing gears and sick people like myself having just imagined the smiling faces awaiting my arrivals suddenly finding themselves airborne again with no word of warning - but that this procedure is "fine", indeed "quite common! - "very safe" - and that it simply feels like "taking off again".
So OK I will just accept this? And enjoy my flight? Whatever? Oh pulease........!!!!!! :pray:

Vortex Wake
18-07-2011, 16:49

This is what I mean. I am a person well travelled and of a certain age :whistle: and this is the first time I have see this happen, twice in the space of 7 days. Is it cos I have never lived near an airport I ask? And here is why I worry. When I get on an aircraft I know that I am putting my life in the hands of probably two, charming and experienced and highly skilled people, who will fly me safely to my destination. So I accept this contract, happily. I am resigned. I am no longer in control of my life but hey........this doesnīt matter. These guys who are squeezed into a cockpit the size of an onboard loo (1st class maybe?) are going to take this awesome shiny bird, held together by rivets and glue, up into the atmosphere, these guys they know what they are doing.
But ahem.......now I am being told by ex pilots and knowledgable people that it is "quite common" for the runways to be preoccupied upon approach, or that variable and highly unreliable crosswinds occur regularly, and that approaches can be aborted in a nanosecond of landing by swift action which results in a screaming force of changing gears and sick people like myself having just imagined the smiling faces awaiting my arrivals suddenly finding themselves airborne again with no word of warning - but that this procedure is "fine", indeed "quite common! - "very safe" - and that it simply feels like "taking off again".
So OK I will just accept this? And enjoy my flight? Whatever? Oh pulease........!!!!!! :pray:

Its the taking off I enjoy most :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T70i_fB46lI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Pooh
18-07-2011, 17:00
Its the taking off I enjoy most :D

Quite routine too... Not that it happens often, on the contrary, but every pilot practice that scenario 1000's of times in the simulator.

Vortex Wake
18-07-2011, 17:06
Quite routine too... Not that it happens often, on the contrary, but every pilot practice that scenario 1000's of times in the simulstor.

A 'mayday' call is un-common.

Its also not routine to have a video camera (with airband radio) capturing a real situation unfolding.

rosemary
18-07-2011, 17:07
Yep thought so. Some of you guys are just adrenaline junkies. Admit it!

Pooh
18-07-2011, 18:05
A 'mayday' call is un-common.

Its also not routine to have a video camera (with airband radio) capturing a real situation unfolding.

No, as I wrote, the situation is uncommon, but is very commonly practiced... It wouldn't affect anything in practice having the camera there either.

onelegnofeet
18-07-2011, 18:10
Please please.......no horror stories as I am frightned enough of flying!! But I live under the flight path in Golf del sur

Dont Leave your "LANDING LIGHT" on !!!!!!

rosemary
18-07-2011, 18:17
Dont Leave your "LANDING LIGHT" on !!!!!!

Nice! :doh::lol:

caroletenerife
18-07-2011, 19:07
I was on a flight to Heathrow a few years ago and the Pilot did a go around.It seemed a bit strange at the time as we were coming into land.He told us the the plane which had landed ahead of us had not got of the runway in time for him to land so he was going to come back for a second go.There was no worries and it all seemed perfectly normal.

I have also been on a Spanair flight to Tenerife south where they did that u turn landing.Touched down just after the end of the turn.Thought it was really cool landing like that.I am sure they know what they are doing.

Thanks for that link.Really cool.

Ive been on two aborted landings coming into Glasgow, due to high winds. The first time the pilot came on and said' lets try that again shall we', lots of nervous laughter and earned him a round of applause when we landed. I would love to fly with these guys, uber cool airline.
http://www.sodahead.com/fun/fly-kulula-airlines--too-funny/question-1712515/

Gfplux
18-07-2011, 20:07
Quite routine too... Not that it happens often, on the contrary, but every pilot practice that scenario 1000's of times in the simulator.

Everyone should be aware that Pilots HAVE to practice all sorts "what would you do" these are practiced many, many times on simulators, BUT many of these situations must be practiced in real time. Many go arounds oportunitys happen when a plane is empty of passengers and the plane is being relocated so that is a perfect opportunity to do a practice go around.
For all our safety we should be happy that a pilot of our aircraft has practiced a go around at the airport we are heading to.
There are suble differences in the type of go around senario some of which will be last minute aborts which can be fun.
Practice, practice, practice....... Makes perfect.

rosemary
18-07-2011, 20:19
Everyone should be aware that Pilots HAVE to practice all sorts "what would you do" these are practiced many, many times on simulators, BUT many of these situations must be practiced in real time. Many go arounds oportunitys happen when a plane is empty of passengers and the plane is being relocated so that is a perfect opportunity to do a practice go around.
For all our safety we should be happy that a pilot of our aircraft has practiced a go around at the airport we are heading to.
There are suble differences in the type of go around senario some of which will be last minute aborts which can be fun.
Practice, practice, practice....... Makes perfect.

Undertood. But no I cannot accept that a pilot or his copilot should ever "practice" with a plane full of passengers. In real emergencies OK. now that I have been forewarned. But funny that I never knew this before this last week??

TOTO 99
18-07-2011, 20:21

No need to worry Rosemary, Macho Grande is a line from the film "airplane". Please watch it because it's incredibly funny. It also includes my favourite bit of script when the plane is taking off as follows;
Lady: Are you nervous?

Man: Yes

Lady: First time?

Man: No I've been nervous lots of times......:)

rosemary
18-07-2011, 20:30
No need to worry Rosemary, Macho Grande is a line from the film "airplane". Please watch it because it's incredibly funny. It also includes my favourite bit of script when the plane is taking off as follows;
Lady: Are you nervous?

Man: Yes

Lady: First time?

Man: No I've been nervous lots of times......:)

Oh yes I remember it now! ( no I didnīt!? I am having another senior moment) But thanks, itīs lovely and i NEEDED CHEERING UP.. :crylaughing::crylaughing:

gary d
18-07-2011, 20:44
love the flight tracker,been on it for the last 2 hours

Vortex Wake
18-07-2011, 21:25
This one sometimes covers the UK better (but not Tenerife) http://planefinder.net/

Website coverage depends on private individuals acting as receiver stations - stations can thus be on or off at different times of the day meaning coverage drop out.

Remember that coverage of flights around Tenerife (via Flightradar24) come from a receiver located in Gran Canaria - hence flights around the south of Tenerife tend to vanish below about 8000 feet.

Listen to Dublin airport live http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=eidw
Watch Dublin airport live http://www.flightradar24.com/53.27,-6.89/9

Watch the ships here too http://marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?level0=100

cainaries
18-07-2011, 21:28
I think the flight tracker has replaced the Forum has my entertainment. Just want to say that if I right click on 'no call sign' the details don't come up every time but perhaps these are military or private aircraft. An extremely long time ago I was on a flight from Jo-burg to Heathrow via Salisbury (shows how long ago it was) and the weather was atrocious when we landed at Salisbury. The pilot told us that he was just going to potter down to the end of the runway to see if the storm looked better from the other end. And then we took off! Very shortly afterwards the cabin crew came down and just threw miniatures of booze at us 'to steady your nerves'. I don't think ultra-cautious BA would do that nowadays.

Rosemary .. hope your cold gets better soon. I hope you haven't got the cold I've had for nearly a month. Nothing worse than a summer cold when you're actually having a summer.

onelegnofeet
18-07-2011, 22:30
Undertood. But no I cannot accept that a pilot or his copilot should ever "practice" with a plane full of passengers. In real emergencies OK. now that I have been forewarned. But funny that I never knew this before this last week??

Dont go on a cruise then they do lifeboat drill .....................not much use without the passengers !!!

garlicbread
19-07-2011, 13:49
It's perfectly normal, and it's exactly to be safe they do it, not the other way around. It's impossible to tell the exact reason, but in clear weather it's likely due to the crosswind component being determined to be too strong at that moment, so they go around and try again. There is always a limit to how much crosswind there can be to land safely.
Since the wind usually varies, it's a decision which has to be made in the last moment, if you can touch down or not.
It can also be made as a practice maneuver, but that's done with no passengers. (And if they practice here, it's local airlines.)

Somewhat off topic Pooh but until I read this didn't think that you and I had much in common. Somewhat before your time (early 60s) I flew Lightnings out of RAF Coltishall...bit faster than the average passenger jet.797

soren lorenson
19-07-2011, 14:49
This happened to my parents the last tie they visited Tenerife, never really phased them they just said it was something to do with the wind (it was a particulay windy day) my dad wasnīt meant to be on the flight as he had flown over with my mum to surprise me, I reckon the pilot found out and tried to take him back!!

when it happened my dad turned to the lady sitting beside him (the other side to my mum) and said well we had a good time didnīt we!!!!!

rosemary
19-07-2011, 16:13
Me again....still in my sickbed..........
I reckon after reading thro all these posts that itīs just me. Neurotic. Mistrustful. Too much imagination. And I am a Pisces. Much rather be on a boat, preferably a very big boat. I understand boats, they hold no mysteries for me. The very fact of flying is still way beyond my comprehension, no matter how many technical explanations I am faced with - or statistics. It just donīt seem natural! Glad some good came out of the thread tho! My grateful thanks for all the info. :)

Chivas Regal
19-07-2011, 18:40
That flight sim is cool. Only thing is I know 100% that ZB932 is flying now (landing at Tenerife about 7:45) but I can't see it anywhere and a search says it's not there! Does it not cover all the planes?
Cheers

That flight sim is cool. Only thing is I know 100% that ZB932 is flying now (landing at Tenerife about 7:45) but I can't see it anywhere and a search says it's not there! Does it not cover all the planes?
Cheers

and just as I type that above I have another look and find MON932B which is the same flight!!! :D

Added after 18 minutes:

Also available as an app on iPhone and android .
http://tapatalk.com/mu/50074abc-4420-6ee0.jpg

Do you know the name of the app? Is it free?

Added after 1 18 minutes:

no worries, I have the app now