PDA

View Full Version : Importing/ exporting a car between Spain & Tenerife (either way)

nath
18-07-2011, 16:15
Are the rules to import a car from Spain to Tenerife or from Tenerife to Spain the same as from another country all together or are the fees much lower? I've looked around a lot but getting confused by all I find. I am sure with all the knowledge buzzing around this forum someone will know the one and only correct answer??:crazy:

liteace
21-07-2011, 00:57
No it not the same, if you bring a car from outside Spain, like UK, france or germany, it will have registration plates\number from where it came from, so you would have to bring it in and pay for import tax + matriculation. Cars in Tenerife or the Canary islands & Spain are all registered with the same documents, you will see the older style reg, up to about 2000 or 2001 will TF-0000-XX, you may of seen other on the road with GC-0000-XX or M-0000-XX, where the TF is Tenerife, the GC is Gran canaria & the M is Madrid and so on, the 1st letter or 2 letters is a code denoting the province the vehicle was registered in, The newer plates from 2000 or 2001 have 4 numbers & 3 letters, 0000-ABC and are used all over Spain and the Canary islands and there is no way by looking of telling where the vehicle was 1st registered. If you went to the mainland or one of the other islands & bought a car, just get it registered to you (put in your name) where you bought it and bring it back on the ferry, job done

nath
21-07-2011, 07:49
Thanks for your response.Do I understand correctly from the last few lines in your response that if we first bring our car to Tenerife and register it there properly and then later on take it to Spain we don't have to pay any more import duties or anything?

lauraleah
25-07-2011, 16:17
so is itactualy cheaper to sell the car in the uk and just buy a car in tenerife? as the costs for registration etc on top of the actual cost of getting the car over may be alot more than just buying a cheap car once your settled?

liteace
26-07-2011, 01:20
so is itactualy cheaper to sell the car in the uk and just buy a car in tenerife? as the costs for registration etc on top of the actual cost of getting the car over may be alot more than just buying a cheap car once your settled?

Cars do cost and hold their value a lot more over here so all depends on what your going to bring over, if its over 10 years old the import tax + matriculation is less but you still have to pay it + if you buy a car here its left had drive as as opposed to the UK's right hand drive cars so its just a matter of paying for it, changing the paperwork into your name = job done, instead of all the hassle of importing one

liteace
01-08-2011, 16:55
Nath, tried to PM you but I get this message:

nath has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

timmylish
02-08-2011, 01:33
Please, don,t think about bringing another RHD over here. Hassle, hassle and even more hassle.

nath
02-08-2011, 18:16
@ liteace:
I don't understand how I can not receive PM's?? I have a few in my inbox (but it is not full I just checked. And received more over the last few days... I will pm you my email address maybe that works out...
@timmylish:
We can't get the bloody thing sold here in Holland! Car is almost 4 years old now and my partner loves his car so am afraid he is not letting this rest...
Anyone familiar with carimportinspain.com ? (can I post that link on here??). They quoted us a good price, would be great if anyone could recommend....

liteace
02-08-2011, 20:16
carimportinspain.com ? nevr heard of them, so the car is LHD ??

nath
02-08-2011, 21:40
Yes, Dutch registration Mercedes ML 320CDI september 2007 (if that helps any).

liteace
02-08-2011, 22:04
Well that make it a slight bit easier already being LHD, I though you was bring it from UK and it was a RHD

tracey_in_tenerife
02-08-2011, 22:10
i fell lucky, i bought a LHD spanish plated megane cabrio in UK , that had just gone through a MOT and was just about to be put on english plates, dont have to pay a penny other than the transfer fees and the travel costs to drive it to Tenerife.

Dominique
06-09-2011, 11:31
Anyone familiar with carimportinspain.com ? (can I post that link on here??). They quoted us a good price, would be great if anyone could recommend....

I dealt with them when I imported a car from the US. Their service is amazing and everything went exactly as planned... saved me a lot of money too. Their fees are very reasonable for the amount of work they did to get everything done. And a big plus... they explained me all steps I needed to take over and over again so nothing could go wrong... I can strongly advise you to get in touch with them and make your life easier. Although they have different people for different regions I did business with Chris Dan, the owner of the company, based just South of Barcelona... a very nice guy!

good luck!

Dominique

nath
06-09-2011, 13:54
I dealt with them when I imported a car from the US. Their service is amazing and everything went exactly as planned... saved me a lot of money too. Their fees are very reasonable for the amount of work they did to get everything done. And a big plus... they explained me all steps I needed to take over and over again so nothing could go wrong... I can strongly advise you to get in touch with them and make your life easier. Although they have different people for different regions I did business with Chris Dan, the owner of the company, based just South of Barcelona... a very nice guy!

good luck!

Dominique

Thanks so much for your response!! We have been in contact with someone from the company and it all sounded good. I was just a bit worried it was one of those "too good to be true" since all others quoted us a lot more. My partner already decided to go for it and see how it went but it is good for my peace of mind that you have used them! We have been looking for importing a Jeep (and possible a Harley) from US to here since the prices are so high over here and over there the prices are much better and more choice. What kind of cars have you been importing from there?