PDA

View Full Version : What are fuel bills like in Tenerife?

Pink shoes
20-07-2011, 14:24
No one on the forum ever mentions the rising cost of gas and electric on the forum for Tenerife... a good thing I know. Do you not go around the diffrent tariffs looking for a better value deal?

I would think there is no need for fires in winter?

You will still have to cough up for hot water and cooking?

I (maybe) think with the renters it will be included in the rent but what about the home owners?

onelegnofeet
20-07-2011, 15:05
Of course you need warmth in Tenerife in a winter ,once acclimatized you will feel the cooler months !!!..........why else would ex pats feel the need to claim WINTER FUEL ALLOWANCE from the UK ???

Bobby
20-07-2011, 16:58
Are fuel bill raising as fast in Tenerife as the UK? 18% raise in the Uk just been announced,

bonitatime
20-07-2011, 17:23
We pay under 50 euros a month for electric. Slightly cheaper in the summer but I think thats because I turn the lights on later. We have gas which comes in bottles for hot water, not cooking which we pay about 12 euros a bottle and change ever 4/6 weeks depending on which child is home and how many hot baths are needed. (not sure that doesn't sound rude but there you go)

Goforgold
20-07-2011, 18:32
Are fuel bill raising as fast in Tenerife as the UK? 18% raise in the Uk just been announced,

They mentioned energy would rise by a total of 29% the other week for gas and elec, is it 18% for one of the commodities or both?

Pink shoes
20-07-2011, 19:02
Of course you need warmth in Tenerife in a winter ,once acclimatized you will feel the cooler months !!!..........why else would ex pats feel the need to claim WINTER FUEL ALLOWANCE from the UK ???

Oh, I thought it was still warm enough not to have fires on in winter in Tenerife.

In the holiday lets we have been in you do not see any fires. Then we have always been on holiday in late spring when it is always good weather.

tizzywizzy
20-07-2011, 19:15
It depends where you stay. If you are more up from the town then it can be a lot cooler. The weather has changed from what it use to be. I am sure the residents will come on soon and comment.

Goforgold
20-07-2011, 19:39
Oh, I thought it was still warm enough not to have fires on in winter in Tenerife.

In the holiday lets we have been in you do not see any fires. Then we have always been on holiday in late spring when it is always good weather.

I think this is Oneleg's incorrigible sense of humour!! :) :) :)

In The Sun
20-07-2011, 19:46
If you are on holiday or have just arrived to live in Tenerife then you will not need any heating during the winter months. However, we find that once you have lived here a few years then you feel the cold during the winter months. We find that what would class as a warm day in the UK we class as a cool day over here

onelegnofeet
20-07-2011, 20:04
I think this is Oneleg's incorrigible sense of humour!! :) :) :)

MOI !!!.............................you know me so well !!!

Goforgold
20-07-2011, 20:24
MOI !!!.............................you know me so well !!!

I see I quoted the wrong post - I meant to Quote yours!!! :( You just can't get the staff!!! :)

Jackie
20-07-2011, 20:36
Try living up in the hills with no heating in the winter, even a brass monkey would freeze it's whatsits off. It get's down to about 10 degrees up here normally in the winter and with no form of heating you soon get to that stage where you just can't warm up, it dropped to 4 degrees when we had the heavy snow which was only about 600 metres above us.

We have a townhouse where everything is electric other than my hob which is run by the gas bottles, one bottle can last anything between 9 and 12 months and is a godsend when we start having those wonderful power cuts in the winter, at least I can make hot drinks and still cook to a certain extent when we have an 8 hour cut :(, the cost for this is approx 1 euro per month if you spread the cost of a gas bottle over the year. As it normally rains quite a bit up here or is very damp due to the low cloud in the winter the tumble dryer is on pretty much every time I do washing and we also have electric heaters and the kids have electric blankets on their beds so my electric bill is about 150 euros per month. During the summer the electricity is used by fans rather than heaters as the temperatures can reach the 50's a lot of the time, and as well as running everyday things like the washing machine, heating water, fridges and freezers there is more often than not 3 TV's on the go if everyone is home as well as X Box or Wii, laptops and PC's etc. Obviously lights are not going on as early and we tend to have cool showers rather than hot so my summer bills are about 100 euros per month.

I am still looking for that illusive second hand wood burner ready for this winter, so don't forget me if anyone hears of one for sale in good condition;)

Zara
20-07-2011, 20:47
Jackie may be looking for the illusive wood burner but I'm still waiting for those hand knitted socks and leg warmers that Oneleg said he was going to make for a few of us last year. :poke:

Jackie
20-07-2011, 21:00
Jackie may be looking for the illusive wood burner but I'm still waiting for those hand knitted socks and leg warmers that Oneleg said he was going to make for a few of us last year. :poke:

Typical Zara, just because he doesn't need them he has totally forgotten ;) :)

canarybird
20-07-2011, 21:01
We're full time residents here in the north of the island. Our winter electric bills are about €85 per month in winter and around € 65 - 70 in summer. That's for a house with a large chest deep freeze, a medium sized fridge and two TVs.

The past couple of years we've just been using one oil-filled electric panel heater in the living room during the winter. We have radiators in each room with hot water central heating but haven't needed to turn it on the past couple of winters as it's been so mild. I don't use an electric clothes dryer or a dishwasher.

Our hot water and cook stove run on four tall bottles of propane gas. I just had two bottles delivered this morning, and the cost was €63.65 each.
The price has gone down a little since the last delivery on March 9th.
So two of those bottles will last three or four months.

The washing machine (laundry, not dishes) heats its own water so that goes on the electric bill, not on the gas bill.
Our lamps all use energy saving bulbs and we're pretty good about turning off lights in a room when they're not needed.

Canarybird

mrmotivator
20-07-2011, 22:30
Just out of interest, what is the cost of Petrol and Diesel out there at the moment?

onelegnofeet
20-07-2011, 22:35
Typical Zara, just because he doesn't need them he has totally forgotten ;) :)

OI Steady ..............you should see my blue stump !!!

Megaloo
20-07-2011, 22:42
Our Electric bill is usually about 85-90 Euros a month I do a lot of cooking I also have a dishwasher and during the summer we have fans going my washing machine is used a lot but we do not have a drier. Our hot water is included in my communidad so that is good, so I have no gas bottles to buy. In the winter we have part central heating a radiator in the lounge and heated rails in the bathrooms, I always keep the ones on in the bathrooms but nearly always have the one in the lounge off as it gets too hot.

Stoney
20-07-2011, 22:44
Depends on the garages, cheapest is in Adeje at the Hiperdino Diesel 87.5 per litre and think the unleaded was 97.9 last time I filled up. On the heating side we lived in Torviscas Alto during the winter months, bought an oil filled radiator as it was cool on some nights, but think it was colder this year than last year, if you feel the cold suggest you look for a place below the motorway. But if you are here during the summer you will need aircon.

Bobby
20-07-2011, 22:45
They mentioned energy would rise by a total of 29% the other week for gas and elec, is it 18% for one of the commodities or both?

I pay £119 each month on a Stay Warm scheme and this is the after an 18% rise recently applied. This is for gas and electricity irrespective of how much I use. Obviously I gain in bad weather and lose out when the weather is good. However it gives me piece of mind and helps me budget.

captain jack sparrow
20-07-2011, 23:11
Is there such things as solid fuel fires in some houses then, and is there coal delivery available ? ( If not I'm off to the "New Business" thread :run: ) :lol:

atlantico
21-07-2011, 00:37
Heating ? In 8 years on the south coast we haven't even bought a fan heater, we have air-con which is used in the summer hot months during the night . . . and thats it, I reckon €60 a month on average.

BUT, we do NO cooking and watch NO TV !! So that saves a small fortune . . . . . . but we keep the restaurants in business !

and with regards to fuel. . . . . haven't got a clue what it costs, but my Range Rover goes through €50 a week - and we don't go far !

Jackie
21-07-2011, 08:45
OI Steady ..............you should see my blue stump !!!

Just get a willy warmer haha ;)

Pink shoes
21-07-2011, 09:27
Interesting! People in Tenerife seem on average to be paying about the same as me. I pay £82.00 per month for duel fuel and that includes 7 radiators for 5 months ( that's about 5 hrs per day).We also use a coal fire. I have a fridge, freezer, washing machine, rarely used tumble dryer. Several TV's and several computers. etc.... That is for 4 adults in a 3 bed semi.

My house is highly insulated with cavity wall filled and loft done.

jas
21-07-2011, 11:41
I wonder if anyone else has experienced similar problems to me and can recommend a solution (if one exists)

Under the old administration of Unelco i used to pay on average around 22 - 25 euros every two months - very little i know but i am not in the house a lot and don't cook at home. I have the normal range of equipment, tv fridge computer etc.
My average consumption looking at my bills appeared to be around 90 -110 kWh.

With Endesa, which is billed every month, my consumption peaked at 862 kWh for a month!!!!
I had no extra equipment and in truth had changed every light bulb in the house with the exception of two yellow lights to low energy bulbs and am now slowly replacing those with l.e.d.s which are even cheaper.

I went to file a reclamation with Endesa in Alcala, who were to say the least worse than useless, saying that the bills had seen an increase. Having spoken later the same day to Endesa in Madrid, who were much more sympathetic to my cause, i was assured that the problem would be investigated. In the meantime i employed an electrician (spanish with boletin) to investigate if i had a leakage anywhere. The response was a definitve NO.

Very strangely I did not receive a factura in July nor in August and when i rang Endesa to enquire why I was told that they were investigating the reclamation. Still no factura in September- again i rang Endesa in Madrid, and yes there was a problem with my account and i would be informed in due course. What subsequently happened was that I received 6 Facturas and 6 credits. I was informed by Endesa in Madrid that they have to raise a bill in order to raise a credit - somewhat confusing.

However, all in all I had not had any bills for three months and they had returned nearly 400 euros to my account. I thought the problem had been resolved - how wrong can one be.

Since then every month i get a bill varying in price from 80 to 130 euros which is paid by direct debit and the following month i then get a credit to the same amount sent to my bank. After an unreasonable number of phone calls to Madrid I am informed that my contador (meter) is on the blink and they have to raise a bill in the estimated month to give a refund in the factura real month. Having investigated this at my end it is true that my meter is not working - but why oh why dont they change the damned thing. Madrid assures me that they have instructed Tenerife to change the meter but so far nothing has happened - my first reclamation dates back to May of last year. Endesa assures me i wont be charged for electricity until the problem is resolved because they do not know how much i am using and that the problem is their own equipment. However, I have very little confidence in this.

Perhaps this would have more appropiate to post in the 'incompetent' thread

I would however recommend that everyone who thinks their bills have skyrocketed under Endesa to file a reclamation.