PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best E-reader?

princessmonika
20-07-2011, 17:44
can anybody tell me, which is the best ereader ?? kindle , kindle dx, ipad2 nook color,or sony/

rosemary
20-07-2011, 18:51
I adore my Kindle (I have a PC so didnīt need wifi.) with leather cover for easier handling. Itīs elegant, amazing and you can even order from it and use google and ....what more would you want?

mossy
20-07-2011, 20:07
I second that,kindle 3g is by far the best.

princessmonika
20-07-2011, 20:16
what about the Nook color ?? my friend has an ipad he just told me, and he thinks it is very good-- :reading:

Vortex Wake
20-07-2011, 20:19
what about the Nook color ?? my friend has an ipad he just told me, and he thinks it is very good-- :reading:

Try reading on an iPad in bright sunlight ;)

Kindle :)

cainaries
20-07-2011, 20:42
I adore my Kindle (I have a PC so didnīt need wifi.) with leather cover for easier handling. Itīs elegant, amazing and you can even order from it and use google and ....what more would you want?

There were 2 or 3 threads on this on the old Forum. I have a long-standing and as-yet-unanswered question! So, here goes again. Rosemary - di you buy your kindle via the States and have it sent to Tenerife? Or did you buy it in the UK? I would just like to find someone .. anyone .. (!) .. who has bought a kindle from the amazon.com website and had it shipped to Spain. At the point of the demise of the last Forum, no-one had ever replied that they had done this and reported on how well it worked, etc. etc.

Thanks for info on this specific point. I will order one just as soon as I know of a satisfied customer!

Jackie
20-07-2011, 20:52
There were 2 or 3 threads on this on the old Forum. I have a long-standing and as-yet-unanswered question! So, here goes again. Rosemary - di you buy your kindle via the States and have it sent to Tenerife? Or did you buy it in the UK? I would just like to find someone .. anyone .. (!) .. who has bought a kindle from the amazon.com website and had it shipped to Spain. At the point of the demise of the last Forum, no-one had ever replied that they had done this and reported on how well it worked, etc. etc.

Thanks for info on this specific point. I will order one just as soon as I know of a satisfied customer!

A friend at work has just ordered one off Amazon to be delivered here. She has actually put the works address for it to be delivered too as obviously she spends more time there than at home ;) As soon as it arrives I will let you know

rosemary
20-07-2011, 22:34
Sorry if I didnīt reply to the last forum posting. I may have been away and then we lost the forum. But I ordered it from the UK amazon and had it delivered to my daughter in the UK where I then picked it up. It had already been registered in the UK and then when I read about it on the Amazon Kindle site it said that you could order it from Amazonncom to have it delivered to Tenerife (cos they donīt deliver elex to Europe from the UK!) but that straightaway it would be registered for you in the UK account if you wanted it to. This is because of the currency difference. So no difference. Hope this makes sense!!:confused:

princessmonika
21-07-2011, 08:09
thank you rosemary-- i think i get an ipad -- i be in tenerife 30th august-- maybe we could meet up -- i am in amarilla golf -all the best

cainaries
21-07-2011, 08:30
A friend at work has just ordered one off Amazon to be delivered here. She has actually put the works address for it to be delivered too as obviously she spends more time there than at home ;) As soon as it arrives I will let you know

Thanks, Jackie! Am particularly interested to know if you can order books from Amazon UK as when I contacted Amazon about all this, I got the impression I would have to order them from the dotcom site which I'm not so keen to do.

Added after 3 minutes:

Sorry if I didnīt reply to the last forum posting. I may have been away and then we lost the forum. But I ordered it from the UK amazon and had it delivered to my daughter in the UK where I then picked it up. It had already been registered in the UK and then when I read about it on the Amazon Kindle site it said that you could order it from Amazonncom to have it delivered to Tenerife (cos they donīt deliver elex to Europe from the UK!) but that straightaway it would be registered for you in the UK account if you wanted it to. This is because of the currency difference. So no difference. Hope this makes sense!!:confused:

Thanks, Rosemary. I know there was someone on the old forum, sadly forgotten his 'name', who had had one sent from US to Eire and he was very happy with the kindle, I seem to remember, but presumably the coverage is better in Eire. I seem to remember someone else said the coverage is the same as for vodaphone, and I've got vodaphone so that should be ok. Can you download via the computer? I've got wifi? Thanks for answers to all these questions. We've run out of 'real' books so are really keen to get one but don't want to waste our money if we can only buy American blockbusters on the kindle.

can anybody tell me, which is the best ereader ?? kindle , kindle dx, ipad2 nook color,or sony/
apologies, princessmonika, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Would be interested to know what you choose and how you get on with it - had also thought I would like an i-pad.

karinagal
21-07-2011, 09:16
I'll be honest with you - I'm a gadget freak. I love daughters iPad and hubby's Samsung Galaxy Tab. However, they are both quite heavy to hold for long periods and as I've been spending many, many hours over the past 5 days reading books, I would still say that if the primary function is to read books go for an e-reader. I struggled with hubby's galaxy trying to play Angry Birds! So holding it for a long time to read would be out of the question for me..... However...... I bought a tripod type device for daughters iPad which holds it steady at am angle, so if you're sitting at a table or similar surface, this might solve the problem of aching hands/wrists.....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

rosemary
21-07-2011, 09:21
You can buy from Amazon UK so all books - Amazon.Com also - are available. Forgot to mention tho you will need a USA/European adapter for the initial charge up and (to do this occasionally afterwards) if you do order from the US.. And it downloads for you rom either the Kindle itself or your PC whatever. I didnīt need the 3G cos I am not travelling a lot and if I go to the UK and take it with me I can order still from my friends or familyīs PCs.
(I ordered ALL of Shakespeare, George Elliot, Conan Doyle for FREE for starters!!)

cainaries
21-07-2011, 10:00
You can buy from Amazon UK so all books - Amazon.Com also - are available. Forgot to mention tho you will need a USA/European adapter for the initial charge up and (to do this occasionally afterwards) if you do order from the US.. And it downloads for you rom either the Kindle itself or your PC whatever. I didnīt need the 3G cos I am not travelling a lot and if I go to the UK and take it with me I can order still from my friends or familyīs PCs.
(I ordered ALL of Shakespeare, George Elliot, Conan Doyle for FREE for starters!!)
Thanks for all the info, rosemary. Just waiting for Jackie's friend to confirm she can order from UK as Amazon originally told me I couldn't. Maybe they've changed the rules now. Obviously you can cos yours is registered in the UK. It's do with copyright on the books. There was loads about this on the old forum. I don't travel much either so will be quite happy to download via PC and save a few dollars on the price.

Vortex Wake
21-07-2011, 12:26
Thanks for all the info, rosemary. Just waiting for Jackie's friend to confirm she can order from UK as Amazon originally told me I couldn't. Maybe they've changed the rules now. Obviously you can cos yours is registered in the UK. It's do with copyright on the books. There was loads about this on the old forum. I don't travel much either so will be quite happy to download via PC and save a few dollars on the price.

The only point about the 3g version (at Ģ50 more), is that you can also access basic email and internet for free anywhere (for example at the airport, or when your own internet provider is down) and don't need to worry about wifi setup codes or friends wifi access settings.

timmylish
21-07-2011, 12:36
Must say that reading the latest reviews on the Nook would make me consider that pad. With very little effort it can be programmed into a much more versatile unit than most and, its a hellava lot cheaper. Better value for money?

cainaries
21-07-2011, 14:02
Must say that reading the latest reviews on the Nook would make me consider that pad. With very little effort it can be programmed into a much more versatile unit than most and, its a hellava lot cheaper. Better value for money?
Confess I'd never heard of nooks. Now I've seen the colour version on the Barnes & Noble website, I really would like one of those! Anyone got one?

princessmonika
22-07-2011, 10:58
went to apple store in dublin yesterday with my friend ,we played with the ipad2 ,and it is rely great .but there is such a demand ,the waiting time is 4 weeks---well i go to tenerife end august so i don't know if i get one before i travel-- my friend has a kindle and we compared the weight and the ipad is lighter -- so i think i get an ipad --

timmylish
22-07-2011, 22:45
Confess I'd never heard of nooks. Now I've seen the colour version on the Barnes & Noble website, I really would like one of those! Anyone got one?

If you read up on the latest write ups this Tab is getting warmer and warmer. As opposed to Apple doing everything for you on a plate (why they are popular) if you can spend the enrgy and set up something like the Nook you,ll build a machine very much in your own image AND save a fortune!

MaxineC
22-07-2011, 23:26
i have friends with iPads & Kindles, both delighted with their purchases... Around the pools, the Kindle definitely seems to be the most popular. However, being a Mac girl, I would opt for the iPad. ;)

timmylish
23-07-2011, 00:09
Pretty decent comparison here:-
http://reviews.cnet.com/2722-3508_7-1181.html?tag=nl.e404

princessmonika
23-07-2011, 06:34
well i ordered my ipad yesterday --should have it 11th august or before , as there is such a demand- hope i did the right thing-- but reading a lot about the different products , i think ipad is for me--

karinagal
23-07-2011, 09:53
well i ordered my ipad yesterday --should have it 11th august or before , as there is such a demand- hope i did the right thing-- but reading a lot about the different products , i think ipad is for me--

Lucky dog! I might put a tab or iPad on my wish list for Christmas or for my 50th birthday in January......!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

MaxineC
23-07-2011, 23:30

Good choice.... ;)

slodgedad
24-07-2011, 01:11
All these fancy gadgets still baffle me.

I've just got a phone that I can do texts on...

cainaries
31-07-2011, 18:05

Please do give us an update when you get, especially what you find you use it for. I hadn't been thinking of getting one until I tried to download BBC i-player for Spain today (newly released I believe) and it gave me 2 options: i-pad or i-phone. No watching it on my laptop, it seems. Very irritating. I might have to get an i-pad. But can you download books on to an i-pad to read?

MaxineC
31-07-2011, 18:14
Please do give us an update when you get, especially what you find you use it for. I hadn't been thinking of getting one until I tried to download BBC i-player for Spain today (newly released I believe) and it gave me 2 options: i-pad or i-phone. No watching it on my laptop, it seems. Very irritating. I might have to get an i-pad. But can you download books on to an i-pad to read?

Yes to downloading books.... As for the BBC i-player, just get a vpn then you can watch all the UK channels on your laptop. The one I've got allows me to have my ip anywhere in the world, so I can also watch the American programmes before they get to the UK... :heyhey:

dokgolf
31-07-2011, 18:32
All these fancy gadgets still baffle me.

I've just got a phone that I can do texts on...

There are phones now that you can text on??????:wow:

cainaries
31-07-2011, 19:31
Yes to downloading books.... As for the BBC i-player, just get a vpn then you can watch all the UK channels on your laptop. The one I've got allows me to have my ip anywhere in the world, so I can also watch the American programmes before they get to the UK... :heyhey:
What's a vpn, Max? Not related to a vpl, I trust:D

MaxineC
31-07-2011, 20:13
What's a vpn, Max? Not related to a vpl, I trust:D

Haha, no.... In simple terms it's a remote ip that can make sites believe you are viewing from any country you choose... Send Kirsty a pm, she was doing business with a company that provides them up. I pay for mine annually, but believe the one she uses can be a monthly, quarterly or annual subscription.... Very handy little things ;)

cainaries
31-07-2011, 21:49
Haha, no.... In simple terms it's a remote ip that can make sites believe you are viewing from any country you choose... Send Kirsty a pm, she was doing business with a company that provides them up. I pay for mine annually, but believe the one she uses can be a monthly, quarterly or annual subscription.... Very handy little things ;)

Thanks, Max. Still might 'have' to get an i-pad. Only trouble is some friends came out from UK with their i-pad and went all over La Palma trying to get the darn thing to connect to the internet. We've now got wifi in the house so shouldn't be a problem but the financial controller doesn't like gadgets ... and, no, he's not slodgedad!! (Apologies Slodgedad!)

timmylish
01-08-2011, 00:57
Not to contradict Maxine but several members have indicated that they are unhappy with KirstyJay,s VPN.
I have had mine for over 3 years and its how I watch ALL UK tv. Absolutely brilliant system and if you get 2 Mbps D/l speed on your computer, my VPN will work just fine. All the work can be done for you on Auto, if you wish (those of lesser technical abilities).
Explains here;-http://vpnuk.net/

MaxineC
01-08-2011, 01:04
Not to contradict Maxine but several members have indicated that they are unhappy with KirstyJay,s VPN.
I have had mine for over 3 years and its how I watch ALL UK tv. Absolutely brilliant system and if you get 2 Mbps D/l speed on your computer, my VPN will work just fine. All the work can be done for you on Auto, if you wish (those of lesser technical abilities).
Explains here;-http://vpnuk.net/

You're not contradicting me at all, I don't use the one Kirsty advertised.... :D

Tellstar
31-08-2011, 14:50
Hi,
If it's not too late for this thread I have just bought a Kindle from amazon.com in the States. Anticipating your questions - I had to pay €34 to the carrier on delivery which was unexpected so I have taken it up with amazon and they are querying it with the carrier. The other point is that I could only buy books from amazon.com in the USA which were a lot more expensive than from amazon.co.uk. Eventually I got round this by simply changing my Tenerife address to my UK address. Hope this has been of some help.

Added after 5 minutes:

Hi,
If it's not too late for this thread I have just bought a Kindle from amazon.com in the States. Anticipating your questions - I had to pay €34 to the carrier on delivery which was unexpected so I have taken it up with amazon and they are querying it with the carrier. The other point is that I could only buy books from amazon.com in the USA which were a lot more expensive than from amazon.co.uk. Eventually I got round this by simply changing my Tenerife address to my UK address. Hope this has been of some help.