PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on how to copy TV onto my HDD?

timmylish
21-07-2011, 16:10
Right folks of the Forum. Try this one please. I use a vpn to receive my uk tv and for some time I,ve been trying various ways of d/l live tv onto the HDD. I,m running Win 7 Ultimate with my newly built computer. Do I have to get some form of TV card when of course I will not be using it for its real purpose! So, anyone currently doing this?

poker
21-07-2011, 17:23
You will need a tv card Timm .
I use to have an analog one years ago it workt qwite well.
Now i have a HD on my sattelite receiver so dont know about the modern ddt cards .

Sent using Tapatalk.

edsa
21-07-2011, 19:04
I have a TV card in my PC to watch programmes when there is a clash or maybe just cos I fancy doing it. I do use this to record programmes onto the hard drive. You can then copy it to a flash drive to watch it on a suitable tv or laptop or whatever. It can be very useful when there are two programmes on at the same time on different channels as there is tonight.
I have not tried it with a VPN but don't think it can be done that way. If it can it's not obvious anyway.
Got my TV card from ebay for about £15, sent from hong kong! Easy to fit and setup and works very well.

markcuk
21-07-2011, 19:19
something like this http://applian.com/

Suzanne
21-07-2011, 20:24
dont you have catch up?

timmylish
21-07-2011, 22:29
dont you have catch up?

Catch up what? There are many events on telly not covered. We don,t yet have a recall system for every programme on every station from every country we watch tv on. Hence my needs!

Added after 3 minutes:

I have a TV card in my PC to watch programmes when there is a clash or maybe just cos I fancy doing it. I do use this to record programmes onto the hard drive. You can then copy it to a flash drive to watch it on a suitable tv or laptop or whatever. It can be very useful when there are two programmes on at the same time on different channels as there is tonight.
I have not tried it with a VPN but don't think it can be done that way. If it can it's not obvious anyway.
Got my TV card from ebay for about £15, sent from hong kong! Easy to fit and setup and works very well.

You clearly understand the problems facing me on this one. Matter of interest, what type of TV card did you get? Was it dual digital or the like?

Added after 2 minutes:

something like this http://applian.com/

Now this is really interesting. Just having our evening meal so I,ll need to read it from top to bottom. I,m gonna consider this very closely. I,ll get back to you but how in hell did you find it? Meantime many thanks indeed!

edsa
22-07-2011, 08:10
timmylish, my card is DVB-S as it is attached to our satellite dish. It is an easy and cheap way of being able to record programmes real time, much cheaper than buying a recorder. There are loads of them on the market but I wasn't sure how well it would work and figured £15 was cheap enough to take a chance. We had paid €500 for a recorder that turned out to be faulty from day one and packed in altogether after a year. We now use the hard drive from that as an external recorder from our FTA receiver.

Marcuk, yes that is an interesting programme, I have seen programmes of that sort before but had forgotten about them. There may well be a version to be got for free. Haven't even thought of those as we have only recently had an upgrade on our internet speed and are now able to watch programmes that way thanks to hacked cable tv. I shall have a search around and see if I can find something more as that would be another option.

markcuk
22-07-2011, 11:19
an internal sat card is good with windows 7 media center you can use it like a pvr if you do get a tv card get a dual tuner

edsa
22-07-2011, 13:35
Been having a scout around and am going to have a go at this utility http://www.orbitdownloader.com/streaming-media-downloader/record-streaming-media-free.htm
May or may not be good. I just did a search for record streaming media free and came up with quite a few sites.
My tv card is not a dual tuner. If you have paid cards from the likes of sky or wherever it is possible to use these with the tv card. Haven't been into that side of things as I don't have any cards, just have to put up with free to air.
For anybody who wants to think about a tv card, we have a motorized satellite dish, it is possible to get all the satellites available with the card or you can have it pointed at a single satellite, doesn't have to be the English ones.

timmylish
22-07-2011, 22:36
Edsa & Markcuk. Most interesting to read your comments and views. Basically we are all three going down the same sort of road. Right away. I don,t have satellite so don,t let this confuse the issue. I have ripped "applian" top to bottom and frankly they infer its possible but when I,ve gone into the nitty grotty it does not show which part of their programme would be able to do what I want. I,ve obviously closely studied the Tv tuner cards angle and it seems the way to go but I,ll need dual channel to overcome certain issues. No, thinking about it, rather than haul my recently built computer up to Santa Cruz and have a high end card installed what i think I shall try might be a USB card from Hauppauge. They seem to be the only ones in the field which is a bit surprising seeing the high demand for new techie stuff. The main problem is going to be overcoming the encryption which is installed in all digital TV in the UK to prevent copying. Its only the last few days that Virgen (UK) have announced their system to copy programmes when using their B/b. As I,ve said rather then spend 100€ or more only to find its not possible (of course its possible just finding how to is the problem!) I,ll find a card from Hauppauge to give it a go over the next couple of weeks. If it works I,ll come back on 'cause if it don,t I,ll wait until someone else asks about it, sooner or later! Again guys, for the moment thanks for the craic.

edsa
23-07-2011, 09:13
timmylish, a tv card is very easy to fit yourself. Just open a slot on the tower or whatever and follow the instructions that come with the card. It slots into an empty slot. If that's beyond you or it will invalidate your warranty then hey ho it will mean paying for it.
I would investigate usb dongles further if I were you. There are other makes out there cheaper, take a look at dynos.es to see what is available for spain.
If I'm wrong somebody will correct me I'm sure but with a dongle you will receive a signal from the nearest tv mast. Which will be a digital mast broadcasting Spanish tv, you won't be able to get English tv that way. If I'm wrong about that let me know because I've done a load of research on this and that's my understanding. You need to buy a dongle in the country you will be using it in and that means it's for local tv.
If you go to the Hauppauge website they go into great detail about what their cards, usb dongles etc. do and the spec needed for same.
I shall be interested in your progress.

tenerental
30-07-2011, 18:15
Right folks of the Forum. Try this one please. I use a vpn to receive my uk tv and for some time I,ve been trying various ways of d/l live tv onto the HDD. I,m running Win 7 Ultimate with my newly built computer. Do I have to get some form of TV card when of course I will not be using it for its real purpose! So, anyone currently doing this?

I've reviewed the suggestions offered, but find them confusing. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your problem. You are using your PC to watch TV, yes? (if no, then ignore the rest!)
Why would you need a TV card then? The TV card is to receive signals which can then be shown on your PC using suitable software. If you are already watching on your PC, then you don't need a card.
I use the video dowloadhelper add-on in Firefox to record videos on YouTube, maybe this would record live stream aswell?

bonitatime
30-07-2011, 18:51
This conversation is beyond me technically but I am interested to record from the internet tv to edit and redustribute mostly football news before someone explains the legalities.
Can somone go over this in basic terms again for me please

timmylish
31-07-2011, 01:45
Guys you are perfectly correct in the assumption that a Card will only get me live Spanish tv therefor unrequired since I get tv in the normal way thru' the receiver on our Edif.
No I do not have any cards like Sky so that is out.
However one of the writers for PC Advisor suggested the obvious one. The latest "Real Downloader" will actually record certain content from my PCTV thru' the VPN. It seems that American shows do record but UK ones don,t. Now I,m not surprised as I suggested at the beginning that UK TV is encrypted to prevent copying of their programmmes but they don,t bother to delete the encryption on the American stuff they but then show.
So, anyone interested try Real Downloader.

Stray Cat
04-08-2011, 18:14

You could always buy a second hand Archos 5 or 7 DVR with a DVR station. Connect it between your satellite/freeview receiver and your TV
via scart leads and record live or schedule a recording. It has its own 160GB hard drive and saves the program as a .AVI. Transfer to your PC via USB or WiFi!

timmylish
05-08-2011, 01:48
You could always buy a second hand Archos 5 or 7 DVR with a DVR station. Connect it between your satellite/freeview receiver and your TV
via scart leads and record live or schedule a recording. It has its own 160GB hard drive and saves the program as a .AVI. Transfer to your PC via USB or WiFi!

Thanks for your joining in! Problem is I use VPN to watch my telly so it does not come down thru' the the co-axle "in" cable but thru the internet! Hence all the problems I have trying to record a particular feed.