PDA

View Full Version : Another Doggy thread

Zara
21-07-2011, 18:35
Today I spent a couple of hours at Accion del Sol the Dog rescue that is located by the PIRS. It was beautiful and any dog who ends up here is very lucky. This guy arrived at the same time as we did and before we left he had been checked bathed and was found a home in the ‘quarantine’ area until he had the all clear and could join the other dogs.

I have some lovely photos of K9 too as well as Poochies. I will be writing a blog on each (Poochies is schedule for 16th August) the other two I have yet to write which only leave me to pay a visit to Live Arico. At the moment all very different, all doing a great job and hopefully people will check out my blog read about these centres and possibly help wherever they can.

jas
21-07-2011, 19:52
Good on you to start a thread for unwanted dogs - perhaps the mods will allow you to post photos each week

All four of my dogs have come from rescue centres - 3 Samoyeds and i think the other one is an alien ( i have named her Mogwai after the film Gremlins), all had tragic stories and tragic lives ,-

Bianca (named after the supermodel Bianca Jagger for whom I had high aspirations of her becoming my wife for a while - life is so disappointing sometimes!) weighed less than 10 kilos for a breed that should weigh about 20 - 24 kilos, had lost all her fur from stress and was covered in cigarette burns. I really didn't think she would live and the vet was very doubtful too. Thankfully she recovered and i have had her now for over ten years and at seventeen going on eighteen years old is an exceptional age for this breed. I should have called her Miss Perfect because that is what she has been, always calm. always obedient and very good natured - incredible really. I would add now she is getting crochety with the youngsters - the rest are aged between 3 and 5 - but then who wouldn't at that age

Bischka -(I think its russian for beautiful or some similar language) was grossly overweight at some 36 kilos, had her back broken and her hip was seperated from the joint - an operation costing over 1200 euros with no guarantee of success, today i am happy to say she is now around the 20 kilo mark (although constantly on the lookout for food to steal) and is even capable of running now - she will never be perfect but she is one happy dog

Nuu a - (an arabian name for white princess) was due to be put down because the family was splitting up and returning to the uk. By far the most demanding of all the dogs with an unlimited supply of energy, and an unlimited ability to get into trouble, but easily the most affectionate when she wants to be

Mogwai was an unwanted puppy (the owners were going to drown the pups) and she is by far the funniest and by far the most intelligent, the most faithful, the fastest thing on four legs easily outrunning rabbits.

Four very different dogs but bless them although they drive me nuts sometimes to own a dog is a privelege

warbey
21-07-2011, 20:13
Today I spent a couple of hours at Accion del Sol the Dog rescue that is located by the PIRS. It was beautiful and any dog who ends up here is very lucky. This guy arrived at the same time as we did and before we left he had been checked bathed and was found a home in the ‘quarantine’ area until he had the all clear and could join the other dogs.

I have some lovely photos of K9 too as well as Poochies. I will be writing a blog on each (Poochies is schedule for 16th August) the other two I have yet to write which only leave me to pay a visit to Live Arico. At the moment all very different, all doing a great job and hopefully people will check out my blog read about these centres and possibly help wherever they can.

Good Idea, lets hope the extra Publicity will be helpful.
I do hope You will be able to state contact details and a Photo or two of the sorts of Dogs waiting for a Home.!

mhtenerife
21-07-2011, 20:18

I couldn´t agree more it´s a lovely place well set out and very clean, and also plenty of room for the dogs to run about.

Zara
21-07-2011, 20:22
Hi Jas, if only more people felt it was a privilege to own a dog. You may have to pay out (sometimes large sums of money) but what you get back from them is worth more than money.

Your crowd sound wonderful. Perhaps you can start off by posting photos of each of them.

Warbs, I have quite a few photos of the dogs - some I am afraid may never be re-homed as people feel old dogs are a bind, however I have had many old dogs and they are probably easier than puppies. Obedient (because they are grateful) house trained, don´t chew the furniture or your best shoes and if like many of us we are also getting on in years, we have a limited happy time together without thee worry of what will happen to that little pup in 10 or 15 years when I may not be around.

Look at this bunch - they are all mates and the grey one only has 3 legs but was trotting around happily. I just wish I had the space to have more. My wish if I was ever to win the lottery would be to have a place just like this.

Tia
21-07-2011, 21:26

Thank you very much Zara for coming to see Accion Del Sol today and thank you for your kind donation of books which im sure will raise some euros towards the upkeep of the dogs.
At least another dog has been taken off the streets in Arona , its just so sad the way animals are treated here in Tenerife. I look forward to reading your blog about Accion Del Sol, again many thanks for your support.

Zara
21-07-2011, 22:16
Thank you very much Zara for coming to see Accion Del Sol today and thank you for your kind donation of books which im sure will raise some euros towards the upkeep of the dogs.
At least another dog has been taken off the streets in Arona , its just so sad the way animals are treated here in Tenerife. I look forward to reading your blog about Accion Del Sol, again many thanks for your support.

It was a pleasure seeing all those happy dogs Tia. I would just like to point out that the books we gave were originally donated to K9 and we have held on to them for several months, however because they were all German I believe that they can be more beneficial to raising funds for AdS as their clientèle are predominantly German whereas K9 is more popular with the Brits. However if there are any German speaking people who would like to purchase books I still have a huge boxful in my garage which I am happy to take to the next charity event.

warmwind
21-07-2011, 22:41
Publicity for the rescue shelters is certainly a good thing and the more the better, good on you Zara for taking the time to visit the shelters.:)

There is a list of some of the many shelters on my website Tenerife Dogs (http://www.tenerifedogs.com/), I have included the address and a paragraph of who runs the shelter and why it was set up.

If anybody knows of anymore could they pm me please :)

list of shelters include
Accion-del-sol
Alberque Valle Colino
Apanot Refugio de Animales
Apram
K9
Live Arico
Manos Amigas De los Animales de Tenerife
Poochies Pet Hotel
San Francisco de Los Animales

here's the link (http://www.tenerifedogs.com/rescueshelters.html)

I have also started up my blog again here's the link http://tenerifedogs.blogspot.com/

jas
21-07-2011, 22:54
as requested here are pictures of my blood
all rescue dogs 813[/ATTA[ATTACH]814815816CH]

warmwind
03-08-2011, 16:05
Hi Zara, Just read your post about accion-del-sol and I couldn't agree more its a superb rescue shelter.

click here (http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com/2011/08/03/accion-del-sol-animal-rescue/) to read Zara's post

Tia
03-08-2011, 20:45
Hi Zara, Just read your post about accion-del-sol and I couldn't agree more its a superb rescue shelter.

click here (http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com/2011/08/03/accion-del-sol-animal-rescue/) to read Zara's post
A really big thank you Zara for your blog and for donating your time to visit the refuge first hand. It really is an amazing refuge with 1st class care given to the dogs mainly due to the generous support financially of Aktion Tiers members in Germany. More and more people are visiting the refuge raising more awareness of the refuge which means more dogs being rehomed which is excellent for animal welfare here in Tenerife.