PDA

View Full Version : What's Going On...?

MaxineC
22-07-2011, 20:12
Three times this week I have driving along, minding my own business, to suddenly be faced with another driver hurtling towards me, going the wrong way down a wrong way road... :eek:

One was heading straight towards the TF slip road, another coming the wrong way round a roundabout, and the third on a 'normal' one way road...
Had they been the same driver, paranoia would have set in, though I still asked OH if he'd taken a contract out on me! ;)

I know the standard of driving here has always been a bit tricky, but for this to happen 3 times in 5 days is taking it to the extreme... ???

doreen
22-07-2011, 20:15
And you were definetly going in the right direction, Max :) :steeringwheel:

MaxineC
22-07-2011, 20:16
And you were definetly going in the right direction, Max :) :steeringwheel:

I did think for a minute I may have been the one in the wrong, but no, the cars behind me looked surprised, especially on the roundabout! :D

tonypub
22-07-2011, 20:19
seen an old bloke goin round gran sur roundabout(oblongabout) wrong way yesterday.its a nightmare goin the right way never mind the wrong way,lol.

MaxineC
22-07-2011, 20:48
seen an old bloke goin round gran sur roundabout(oblongabout) wrong way yesterday.its a nightmare goin the right way never mind the wrong way,lol.

Possibly one of the worse round/oblongabouts... :rolleyes:

imablue
22-07-2011, 22:19
that must be the worlds worst traffic island for drivers going the wrong way....
i heard some fella shout to one car "didn,t you see the arrows....?"
the answer was ..."I didn,t even see the Injuns !!.....":eyebrows:

Vortex Wake
22-07-2011, 22:25
It was Linford Cristie ?

Leam_Lin
22-07-2011, 22:38
It was Linford Cristie ?

Yes, he was sober as well. Should have gone to Spec savers................

captain jack sparrow
23-07-2011, 05:03
Possibly one of the worse round/oblongabouts... :rolleyes:

Have you been to hemel hempstead Max, this must be one of the best roundabouts ever, I have been around it a few times in rush hour when i used to drive an artic car transporter, Interesting to say the least. I found the best way was to just pull out, then wave at the ones blowing their horn, just like you knew them :hello:

Total free for all, look at the pics down the right hand side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Hemel_Hempstead))

KirstyJay
23-07-2011, 06:15
What about the hanger lane gyratory system... Phwoar! What a roundabout ;) :D

scoregolfbob
23-07-2011, 07:18
I phoned the wife yesterday as she was on her way home from work, i said be carefull as i had heard on the radio someone was going down TF1 the wrong way, she said theirs not 1 but hundreds of them, OOPS !!!

cjd01
23-07-2011, 09:56
I phoned the wife yesterday as she was on her way home from work, i said be carefull as i had heard on the radio someone was going down TF1 the wrong way, she said theirs not 1 but hundreds of them, OOPS !!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Thats made my day!

Sylla
23-07-2011, 11:15
Three times this week I have driving along, minding my own business, to suddenly be faced with another driver hurtling towards me, going the wrong way down a wrong way road... :eek:

One was heading straight towards the TF slip road, another coming the wrong way round a roundabout, and the third on a 'normal' one way road...
Had they been the same driver, paranoia would have set in, though I still asked OH if he'd taken a contract out on me! ;)

I know the standard of driving here has always been a bit tricky, but for this to happen 3 times in 5 days is taking it to the extreme... ???

Tourists LOL !:convertible::car::moped::surf::steeringwheel::sp in:

princessmonika
23-07-2011, 12:04
well driving in tenerife it is not easy -- the tourist forget it is the right side of the road-- roundabouts are a nightmare -- free for all -- stay on the outer lane or you never get out- well after a while you get it--taxi drivers are the worse-- but other than that ,tenerife is beautifull

MaxineC
23-07-2011, 19:45
Tourists LOL !:convertible::car::moped::surf::steeringwheel::sp in:

All Spanish...!!! :rollseyes:

What about the hanger lane gyratory system... Phwoar! What a roundabout ;) :D

Who rattled your cage ??? :D

Will somebody please make a film showing how roundabouts should be used, and get the Spanish tv stations to air it every hour... Today I nearly got wiped off a roundabout by the Guardia, who went all the way round on the outside lane, cutting people up left, right & centre... If they don't know how to use them, how can we expect the locals to ???

Think it's time to ask Reggie to loan me one of his donkeys.... :(

rosemary
23-07-2011, 19:46
I took this account from a Spanish local paper - it is an explanation written by a traffic cop of the Spanish Highway code instructions for:

Driving on a Spanish Roundabout

´On a roundabout the vehicles already on the circular roadway have priority over those intending to enter the roundabout.

Any sideways manouvre which involves changing lanes should be carried out respecting the right of way of the vehicle in the lane we intend to enter, and take into account the lanes are round, not straight.

When you are on a roundabout and intend to change lanes, you do not have right of way.

Therefore, in Spain, it is legal to drive in the outside lane of a roundabout and turn left without using an indicator, because the driver is using a circular lane and has right of way.

If the traffic doesn´t allow us to change from the inside to the outside lane to get off the roundabout, we should go round again until the traffic allows us to manouvre in a safe manner and without preventing the circulation of other vehicles.

I know it seems strange but this is the law and it causes a huge amount of accidents because harly anyone knows about it. ´

Is it just me or.......??

MaxineC
23-07-2011, 19:49
In that case Rosemary, they need to make all roundabouts single lane... pointless having the inside lane, you could be stuck there for hours, or until the dizziness made you pass out and cause a pile-up! ;)

emmess
23-07-2011, 21:33
I thought the rule was: watch the traffic from left AND right, find an inches gap, take your life in your hands, close your eyes.... then press your accelerator as hard as you can, with both eyes closed and arms rigidly clenched to the steering wheel.

Is that not right :steeringwheel:

slodgedad
23-07-2011, 21:44
I took this account from a Spanish local paper - it is an explanation written by a traffic cop of the Spanish Highway code instructions for:

´On a roundabout the vehicles already on the circular roadway have priority over those intending to enter the roundabout.

Any sideways manouvre which involves changing lanes should be carried out respecting the right of way of the vehicle in the lane we intend to enter, and take into account the lanes are round, not straight.

When you are on a roundabout and intend to change lanes, you do not have right of way.

Therefore, in Spain, it is legal to drive in the outside lane of a roundabout and turn left without using an indicator, because the driver is using a circular lane and has right of way.

If the traffic doesn´t allow us to change from the inside to the outside lane to get off the roundabout, we should go round again until the traffic allows us to manouvre in a safe manner and without preventing the circulation of other vehicles.

I know it seems strange but this is the law and it causes a huge amount of accidents because harly anyone knows about it. ´

In that case Rosemary, they need to make all roundabouts single lane... pointless having the inside lane, you could be stuck there for hours, or until the dizziness made you pass out and cause a pile-up! ;)

The only explanation I received from a Spanish driving instructor when I asked him was the insi:spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:de lane is for overtaking,,

MaxineC
23-07-2011, 21:56
Completely potty.... :crazy: :wall:

Andy0210
23-07-2011, 21:57

A friend of mine learnt to drive over here a year or so ago, the instructor taught her that you only used the outside lane, the inside lane was just for getting out of the way of people if you needed to.

She used that theory on her test and passed first time. ???

slodgedad
23-07-2011, 22:14
Completely potty.... :crazy: :wall:

It is a lot better than the old roundabout rule where traffic entering the roundabout had right of way.

Still a rule, BTW, in some European countries