PDA

View Full Version : Would you risk not having travel insurance?

Ed3229
04-06-2011, 07:16
Insurance can be so cheap if you look around so why do people think they wont need any ? ? Would you not bother ? ? I would never take the family away without any.....

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/06/millions-risk-foreign-travel-without-insurance-255146/

TOTO 99
04-06-2011, 08:36
Insurance is only cheap for the fit & healthy Ed. I've met plenty of people who've decided to "risk it" because the insurance would have cost them more than their holiday! Even then you only find out what's really covered when you make a claim. Insurers will obviously try to wriggle out of paying if they can.
I always use a yearly one. Fingers crossed I've never had to claim but as we get older the risks increase. Nobody should take the chance of being uninsured.

chocaholic
04-06-2011, 08:38
I think a lot of people don't realise they won't get ANY FREE treatment whatsoever if they don't have Insurance.

CaribeCelt
04-06-2011, 09:38
I got travel insurance,for one year,for next to nothing.
A day in the pub would be more expensive...well,here in Ireland anyway
IMO it is essential when going abroad.

karinagal
04-06-2011, 09:51
Hubby and I both have pre-existing medical conditions. We get our travel insurance through EHIC Plus. It's ideal as it basically works in conjunction with the EHIC card and then covers you for the things that the card doesn't. All in with the extra for the medical screening, it covers us both for less than £40 per year.

Bonnie1964
04-06-2011, 10:01
No I wouldnt risk it I also have pre existing medical conditions and can still get it cheap,although this can depend on age recent hospital admissions etc so far Ive never had to use it(touch wood):)

tizzywizzy
04-06-2011, 10:08
would never travel abroad without it.Thanks Karinagal I had never heard of EHIC PLUS will look it up.

onelegnofeet
04-06-2011, 13:55
Hi Karinagal ,just had a look at EHIC PLUS .It doent list the Canarys ,it does say Spain but i have had this problem before insurers dont seem to count the Islands as SPain ??? Do you have any further info ,this is a very good thing if its available ...............saves me some £550 on last year for medical insurance with prexisting conditions .

TOTO 99
04-06-2011, 14:10
Hi Karinagal ,just had a look at EHIC PLUS .It doent list the Canarys ,it does say Spain but i have had this problem before insurers dont seem to count the Islands as SPain ??? Do you have any further info ,this is a very good thing if its available ...............saves me some £550 on last year for medical insurance with prexisting conditions .

You'll be fine OLNF. Some people say it's EU and others don't. Fact is it's linked to your EHIC card so you'll be ok.

debi
05-06-2011, 16:28
Insurance can be so cheap if you look around so why do people think they wont need any ? ? Would you not bother ? ? I would never take the family away without any.....

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/06/millions-risk-foreign-travel-without-insurance-255146/

Absolutely Not ! No! Never!
having worked in a travel agency for the best part of 20 years I have been involved in some nightmare situations where people have gone on holiday without insurance (trying to save few quid) and fallen ill and I can definately say it is NOT worth it.

caroll72
05-06-2011, 20:38
If you travel abroad a lot, then a annual multi-trip policy can work out quite cheaply.

Just from our own research, we found Tesco online insurance to offer some good deals. :airplane: :)

Susief
05-06-2011, 21:04
We get ours with RBS, it's included in the gold account. Get mobile phone insurance too!

Leam_Lin
05-06-2011, 21:14
Our joint annual policy is with Direct Travel.

MRSBEN
05-06-2011, 21:28
We use annual cover just get the best deal on compare the market every year when its due for renewal ,Was away a few weeks ago and someone took ill they had no cover just been diagnosed as a diabetic hadnt sorted there medication out properly and fell into a coma but luckly got let out of hospital a few days before the holiday ended.Left with a very large bill I heard .

karinagal
05-06-2011, 21:57
As Toto says - it covers you wherever your EHIC card is accepted. I've advised them that I'm visiting Tenerife and they accepted that..

TenerifeFanatic
05-06-2011, 22:06
No way would I travel without insurance!

reggie
05-06-2011, 22:10
Err, whats EHIC ?. we have travel insurance, Janet doe's all that stuff, just wondered what the other is ?

TenerifeFanatic
05-06-2011, 22:13
Euorpean Health Insurance Card, replaced the old E1-11! You can get them online. Don't leave home without it!!

howard thornton
05-06-2011, 22:14
Err, whats EHIC ?. we have travel insurance, Janet doe's all that stuff, just wondered what the other is ?

the old e1,11

reggie
05-06-2011, 22:15
Euorpean Health Insurance Card, replaced the old E1-11! You can get them online. Don't leave home without it!!

Thanks TF, got them, didnt think Janet would screw up, I didnt want to wake her up to ask, :lol:

the old e1,11

How come your still up, working and all that, got ya snap ready ?

howard thornton
05-06-2011, 22:21
Thanks TF, got them, didnt think Janet would screw up, I didnt want to wake her up to ask, :lol:

well go wake her up reggie and tell her to get them online,we have used ours a couple of times,been to valdez center medical center for medication,saves laying brass out and paying excess on insurance.

reggie
05-06-2011, 22:24
well go wake her up reggie and tell her to get them online,we have used ours a couple of times,been to valdez center medical center for medication,saves laying brass out and paying excess on insurance.

Keep up Howard, we have them, dont want to wake janet, she will be up extra early, takes her ages to lay my clothes out with one arm,

Tinkabel
07-06-2011, 10:43
We're currently looking into Travel Insurance for our upcoming holiday to Gran Canaria and have recieved several quotes varying in price, My hubby has high blood pressure for which he takes daily medication and obviously as a pre existing medical condition this will not be covered. We've been told that as we pay into the social system here and are registered with a doctor that should he need any treatment whilst we're there he'll be covered through the Spanish Healthcare, does anyone know if this is true? Obviously we'll be taking cover anyway we just want to be certain if anything should happen we'd be covered for all eventualities.

tonyda
07-06-2011, 17:09
Our daughter who has a heart condition gets her cover through http://www.allcleartravel.co.uk .If you were to need to get home due to a known medical condition and not coverd for this the costs would be very very expensive.

Jackie
08-06-2011, 22:54
Well my dad who is 83, has this year decided he will not buy travel insurance anymore.Although he is fit and well for his age he has quite a few existing health issues which in have all happened within the last few years. He has had about 6 mini strokes and although still ok physically and mentally they have left him with Diabetes, he also has a pace maker and a few other things besides. With those existing conditions his Travel Insurance works out to almost four times the cost of his actual holidays and that is even via Help The Aged and other designated insurers that claim to do cheaper cover for existing conditions.

lcbandit
10-06-2011, 21:42
not sure if this is still correct but your ehic will only cover you at the main hospital in the north of the island, as there isnt a so called nhs one in the south, or wasnt a couple of years ago so all the more reason that you need your travel insurance, im sure if im wrong i will be corrected lol

Jackalina
11-06-2011, 09:31
This thread prompted me to check out EHIC I didn't realise they had expiry date, our cards have been out of date for some time. Renewed cards online off on holiday on Thursday hope they arrive in time. Be careful if you are doing this because there are several agencies that charge for renewal, go to NHS site and it is free.

golf birdie
06-01-2012, 17:58
it amazes me how many people who live here travel back to the UK without insurance.

willowlily
06-01-2012, 22:43
what about the swallows that come here for the winter i know my insurance cover trips of up to 45 days and you have to submit a return ticket, some times i go back on business trips monthly but only book one way tickets as not always sure when coming back, there have been times when i have done 2 months in tenerife. so technically i am not fully insured does the ehic plus cover have a time limit on each trip.

cainaries
06-01-2012, 23:18
what about the swallows that come here for the winter i know my insurance cover trips of up to 45 days and you have to submit a return ticket, some times i go back on business trips monthly but only book one way tickets as not always sure when coming back, there have been times when i have done 2 months in tenerife. so technically i am not fully insured does the ehic plus cover have a time limit on each trip.

I had you down as a seriously well informed professional businessperson, willowlily, so am surprised you don't have annual travel insurance. (I don't travel anymore (sob) so haven't got it but always had it in the past). You might get it as a 'thank you' from your bank or credit card company. If not you could do worse than check out world nomads. I think it's www.worldnomads.com but that's just guessing.

willowlily
07-01-2012, 00:20
I had you down as a seriously well informed professional businessperson, willowlily, so am surprised you don't have annual travel insurance. (I don't travel anymore (sob) so haven't got it but always had it in the past). You might get it as a 'thank you' from your bank or credit card company. If not you could do worse than check out world nomads. I think it's www.worldnomads.com but that's just guessing.
i do have annual travel insurance which covers me worldwide but there is a maximum time period for each trip and 45 days is the norm. when i go long haul i pay extra for up to 90 days i am just trying to find if the ehic plus would cover more than 45 days in europe, i will always have private travel insurance but it is always good to have knowledge of other optons

TIS
07-01-2012, 00:37
One crucial aspect of travel insurance that people reading this thread must bear in mind is RESIDENCY. By the sounds of things, most people on this TENERIFE forum thread actually live in the UK, therefore their options for getting cover is much greater than those who live outside the UK.

So for all those living here in Tenerife, visit our web site for details of travel insurance with annual multitrip policies from 90€ per person, which compares favourably with UK prices, when matching what is included. The policy specifically addresses the issue of whether or not Tenerife ( and the Canary Islands) is part of Spain and therefore part of Europe and crucially covers ANY age and preexisitng medical conditions, subject to screening questionnaire,

And yes, you still need to carry your EHIC equivalent ( Tarjeta Sanitaria ) with you when on hoilday, within Europe. Some people mistakenly think the EHIC willl cover them on holiday, irrespectively of what country. As the name says, it is for EUROPE only.

Hope this helps you all.

timmylish
07-01-2012, 01:08
Chris, I think this a very valid observation as I would imagine that the majority of Tenerife based travellers do NOT carry insurance. The number of people going back and forward to the UK is quite large so I would be interested in how many do carry such a Policy, well one that actually covers them fully!!

TIS
07-01-2012, 01:25
Chris, I think this a very valid observation as I would imagine that the majority of Tenerife based travellers do NOT carry insurance. The number of people going back and forward to the UK is quite large so I would be interested in how many do carry such a Policy, well one that actually covers them fully!!
Me to. I know there was talk of the government making travel insurance compulsory here in Spain, but like with most things it takes a looonnnggggg while before the words are converted into action. We have had countless horror stories from people who now always take travel insurance becasue they or a very close friend had a problem whilst on holiday that ending up costing them dearly and the worst is when couples come in and then are arguing in front of you that they wanted to do it, but the partner said it was a waste of money etc.etc. We are here to advise, but the decision is theirs.

The UK have stats on the percentage of people still NOT taking out insurance and it is very high and I can understand when people travel from here ( as a Resident of Tenerife or the other Islands) and are going back to the UK, where they have always used their "family" doctor and never had a problem etc. it is tempting, in order to save some money. But times and circumstances change and it could be a costly false economy - ones family doctor may no longer exist or worst still, becasue of UK government cut backs, all doctors are having to manage their budgets better and if that means they can charge an expat for their services then they will.

beerfan
07-01-2012, 01:46
As Toto says - it covers you wherever your EHIC card is accepted. I've advised them that I'm visiting Tenerife and they accepted that..

It covers all EU and EEA countries as well as Switzerland - so, technically, it would cover you, for example, if you were taken ill anywhere from Iceland in the north to Réunion in the Indian Ocean from the south, from the French Caribbean island collectivity of Saint Martin in the west to, again, the French Indian Ocean island of Réunion to the east. The only strange places that it does not cover that you think it would are the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands but I suspect the Manx and Channel Island healthcare systems have reciprocal arrangements with the UK. Also, you wouldn't be covered in British Overseas Territories either (except Gibraltar).

Austria
Belgium
Bulgaria
Cyprus (but not in 'Northern Cyprus')
Czech Republic
Denmark (including, by special agreement, the Faroe Islands and Greenland even though they are non-EEA and Greenland, of course, remains the only territory in the EU's history to successfully leave)
Estonia
Finland
France (which also includes French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Martin and Réunion but not French Polynesia, Mayotte [though this will change in 2014], Saint-Pierre and Miquelon and Wallis and Futuna)
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Netherlands (does not include any of the Dutch outermost regions until 2014/2015)
Norway (including Jan Mayen and Svalbard)
Poland
Portugal (including, of course, the Azores and Madeira)
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain (including the Balearic islands, the Canary Islands and the North African plazas de soberanía)
Sweden
Switzerland (excluding certain nationalities)
United Kingdom (including Gibraltar but not including Anguilla, Bermuda, British Antarctic Territory, British Indian Ocean Territory, Cayman Islands, the Channel Islands [though I suspect there is a reciprocal arrangement with the UK in place here], the Falkland Islands, the Isle of Man [though, again, I suspect there is a reciprocal arrangement with the UK in place], Montserrat, the Pitcairn Islands, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, the Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia in Cyprus [though that's rather a moot point and you'd simply be driven down the road to a hospital in Cyprus] and the Turks and Caicos Islands)

Hopefully that clears things up. Basically, if you're in EU/EEA/CH, you're covered. :)

TIS
07-01-2012, 02:03
It covers all EU and EEA countries as well as Switzerland ..........

Hopefully that clears things up. Basically, if you're in EU/EEA/CH, you're covered. :)

To clarify: it only entitles you to basic health cover under the country that you are visiting and for each country it is slightly different and essentially, the EHIC card is for health issues only, whereas the thread is about TRAVEL insurance, which is insurance for much more.

beerfan
07-01-2012, 02:11
To clarify: it only entitles you to basic health cover under the country that you are visiting and for each country it is slightly different and essentially, the EHIC card is for health issues only, whereas the thread is about TRAVEL insurance, which is insurance for much more.

Fair enough. And yes, I would take out travel insurance anyway.

Although I take it the links in your sig have something to do with where you're coming from. ;)

(It does cover necessary emergency healthcare though.)

atlantico
07-01-2012, 02:18
take out travel insurance . . . . . . . or keep €10k in the bank just in case !!

TIS
07-01-2012, 03:03
take out travel insurance . . . . . . . or keep €10k in the bank just in case !!

Trouble is, when you really need it, 10k wouldn't be enough!

doreen
07-01-2012, 08:36
And just to remind people of the two very serious cases we ended up helping in the last two months ... no travel insurance, excellent emergency health care received... BUT, so many issues not covered like all costs of the people who had to stay on the island to support the ill persons :(

I have the travel insurance recommended by TIS for travel out of Tenerife ... but boy do they load the premium if you are fully honest in the screening process.

Take out the highest level of Travel Insurance you can afford !!

Santiago
07-01-2012, 17:23
And just to remind people of the two very serious cases we ended up helping in the last two months ... no travel insurance, excellent emergency health care received... BUT, so many issues not covered like all costs of the people who had to stay on the island to support the ill persons :(

I have the travel insurance recommended by TIS for travel out of Tenerife ... but boy do they load the premium if you are fully honest in the screening process.

Take out the highest level of Travel Insurance you can afford !!

And remember, as you get older the insurance gets costlier!

DOREEN QUINN
08-01-2012, 16:17
Have never travelled without insurance but last November my husband and I booked for a week on the cruise around the Islands so I went online to get a quote for insurance -
Because I had a pre existing health condition
and took certain medication
and had seen a Consultant within the last 12 weeks
and I am awaiting surgery
€2600 was MY quote!!!!
Sorry to say on that one week trip I didnt take out insurance!!!!!!!

willowlily
08-01-2012, 16:30
Have never travelled without insurance but last November my husband and I booked for a week on the cruise around the Islands so I went online to get a quote for insurance -
€2600 was MY quote!!!!

doreen i and many other people can understand why you would not pay that premium, i suppose you weighed up the pros and cons before coming to that decision

DOREEN QUINN
08-01-2012, 16:38
Actually if we had had to fly or not had our luggage with us I don't know what we would have done, but as we embarked from Santa Cruz (and back) and took our luggage onboard with us it wasnt too much of a risk.
Will seriously have to look at holidays from now on as the quote for insurance may be more than the holiday !!!

warbey
08-01-2012, 21:28
I took a chance when I was younger.
We had a week abroad.
I was on pins all week.

I have read some horror |Stories since including recent examples on this very Forum.
Cruising frightens Me the most.
Taking ill and being left on an Island somewhere in the Caribbean to make Your OWN Way Home.
OOOOHHHHHEEEEEERRR.

Sal
08-01-2012, 21:58
We get "free" travel insurance with our bank account (platinum account).
Prior to this service we always bought travel insurance. Never worth the risk to go without!

bonitatime
09-01-2012, 10:19
We quite often go to the mainland for 3/4 days without insurance. No luggage and the social here would cover medical problems.

Ecky Thump
09-01-2012, 11:38
We quite often go to the mainland for 3/4 days without insurance. No luggage and the social here would cover medical problems.

Would you be covered for any contingencies, eg.If you were involved in a car accident and injured, would they airlift you home if required, or would you have to find the money yourself for this?

Skeggy
09-01-2012, 12:17
Having had a fall in May 2010 on Tenerife which resulted in a broken shoulder, this necessitated two operations and a four day stay in the green hospital,I understand the cost per day was 1500€ for accommodation I certainly would not take a chance and travel without insurance.
Just after Christmas I had a letter from a company appointed by my insurers enquiring if there was a chance that my injuries were covered by any other parties ie Bank or Credit Cards insurance as although my claim was not affected in any way and they did not want any money from me they were looking for a contribution from any other suppliers who may have an interest.

willowlily
09-01-2012, 12:25
Having had a fall in May 2010 on Tenerife which resulted in a broken shoulder, this necessitated two operations and a four day stay in the green hospital,I understand the cost per day was 1500€ for accommodation I certainly would not take a chance and travel without insurance.
Just after Christmas I had a letter from a company appointed by my insurers enquiring if there was a chance that my injuries were covered by any other parties ie Bank or Credit Cards insurance as although my claim was not affected in any way and they did not want any money from me they were looking for a contribution from any other suppliers who may have an interest.

hi skeggy when you were taken to the green hospital did they ask you to pay upfront expecting you to recover monies directly from your insurance company or did they accept proof of your travel insurance policy.
i have been to the green hospital for tests but was refered from dr whitteker and paid for services rendered at source

Skeggy
09-01-2012, 12:34
hi skeggy when you were taken to the green hospital did they ask you to pay upfront expecting you to recover monies directly from your insurance company or did they accept proof of your travel insurance policy.
i have been to the green hospital for tests but was refered from dr whitteker and paid for services rendered at source

I did not pay anything up front at all, I was insured with AXA direct and was dealt with immediately although presenting my EHIC card as instructed by my insurers they did not want to know, One thing that I did notice was that I was given quicker service than some other patients who may have been insured with AXA via brokers, the checking of the patients insured status was certainly taking longer, on departure from the hospital I paid my £100 excess to them.

cainaries
09-01-2012, 12:51
Would you be covered for any contingencies, eg.If you were involved in a car accident and injured, would they airlift you home if required, or would you have to find the money yourself for this?

I'm guessing bonitatime has Spanish residency and Tarjeta Sanitaria (?). Surely to go from the Canaries to Spain is travelling within the same country? Even more so than going from Scotland to England. Would you take out travel insurance for that?

Added after 3 minutes:

€2600 was MY quote!!!!

Just wondering if you got this quote from a local travel agent (I don't know any of them so this is not a personal grudge of any kind!!). The first time I went to fly back to the UK after we'd moved here I went for a quote for an annual policy. First of all I had to explain what I meant. Then the agent wanted to know where and when I was planning to go all year (!) and finally rang me about 3 days later to quote me a fee of 900 euros! I can only assume very few Spanish people take out annual policies and also I couldn't help wondering if the agent didn't really know what she was doing. I found it easier to look on the internet and just make sure the online quote allowed for the fact that I was resident in Spain. Saved an awful lot of money.

Ecky Thump
09-01-2012, 13:03
[QUOTE=cainaries;134126]I'm guessing bonitatime has Spanish residency and Tarjeta Sanitaria (?). Surely to go from the Canaries to Spain is travelling within the same country? Even more so than going from Scotland to England. Would you take out travel insurance for that?

QUOTE]

My query was would she be covered for the cost airlifting from the Spanish mainland back to Tenerife if it was required.

On the point of my insurance, yes I do also take cover for holidays in the UK, especially after a close friend was seriously injured while on a family cycling holiday in Northern Ireland, it cost his family thousands of pounds before he was able to return to the UK mainland.

cainaries
09-01-2012, 15:05
[QUOTE=cainaries;134126]I'm guessing bonitatime has Spanish residency and Tarjeta Sanitaria (?). Surely to go from the Canaries to Spain is travelling within the same country? Even more so than going from Scotland to England. Would you take out travel insurance for that?

QUOTE]

My query was would she be covered for the cost airlifting from the Spanish mainland back to Tenerife if it was required.

On the point of my insurance, yes I do also take cover for holidays in the UK, especially after a close friend was seriously injured while on a family cycling holiday in Northern Ireland, it cost his family thousands of pounds before he was able to return to the UK mainland.

I see your point. I know the Spanish health service will pay for someone from Tenerife plus one companion to be flown to a specialist hospital on the mainland as and when it is needed. I suppose my thought was that the medical treatment on the mainland would be more specialised etc so there would be no medical reason to airlift someone from there to Tenerife. If someone was seriously injured in, say, Cornwall, would the NHS pay to airlift them back home to, for example, York just because they came from York? Dunno.

Leam_Lin
09-01-2012, 15:37
If you are receiving a UK retirement pension & have the EHIC cards, what are you entitled to when on holiday in Tenerife, ie. emergency only or to see a doctor or reduced prescriptions or anything else. Thanks.

Megaloo
09-01-2012, 15:46
If you are receiving a UK retirement pension & have the EHIC cards, what are you entitled to in Tenerife, ie. emergency only or to see a doctor or reduced prescriptions or anything else. Thanks.
I can only say when I first arrived to live here and before I had chance to take out residence or register with a Doctor I was taken suddenly ill with gall stones, I was treated and operated on in the Univeritario La Laguna first class treatment on my E111 that was then.

Goforgold
09-01-2012, 16:26
If you are receiving a UK retirement pension & have the EHIC cards, what are you entitled to when on holiday in Tenerife, ie. emergency only or to see a doctor or reduced prescriptions or anything else. Thanks.

I would imagine under the above criteria you would be entitled to treatment. The next holiday I have, I want to ensure I have cover for the incidentals, which I hadn't taken into account before. I may have been covered, but didn't check the policy for it!!

Suej
09-01-2012, 17:00

The only way you will get totally accurate information is to go online and read all the conditions on the EHIC don´t chance it to luck! and as GFG says always check your private holiday Insurance terms too as the policies are sometimes not quite as comprehensive as they lead you to believe.;)

cainaries
09-01-2012, 17:01

I just went to have a look on the NHS website and it seems you are entitled to the same services as someone Spanish BUT because the retirement ages are different you might be asked to pay for a prescription (as Skeggy was earlier in this thread). If this happens it tells you to get a receipt and you can reclaim the money when you are back in the UK.

I was quite surprised to read this as the EHIC card which I've got only covers me for emergency treatment in the UK! I have copied and pasted what I found on the NHS website - this is for all countries in the EEA, I think.

What’s covered?

Each country’s healthcare system is slightly different. Therefore, your EHIC might not cover everything that would be free on the NHS. However, you should be able to get the same treatment as a resident of the country you're visiting.
In some countries, you may have to pay a patient contribution, also known as a co-payment. See our county-by-country guide for more information.
You may be able to get a refund for these payments when you're back in the UK if you could not do so in the country where you were treated.
The EHIC will cover any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your trip, for example because of either illness or an accident.
The card gives access to reduced-cost or free medical treatment from state healthcare providers.
It includes treatment of a chronic or pre-existing medical condition that becomes necessary during your visit.
It includes routine maternity care (not only because of illness or accident), as long as you're not going abroad to give birth. However, where the birth happens unexpectedly, the card will cover the cost of all medical treatment for mother and baby that is linked to the birth.
The card covers the provision of oxygen and kidney dialysis. You will have to arrange and pre-book these treatments before you go on holiday. You can ask your GP or hospital for advice, but make sure you are not booked with a private healthcare provider as these are not covered by the EHIC.
The card also covers routine medical care for people with pre-existing conditions that need monitoring.

Goforgold
09-01-2012, 17:15
Cainaries, does that mean you can walk into the Health Centre, say in Tenerife, and get treatment for free even if it isn't an emergency?

Suej
09-01-2012, 17:25
Cainaries, does that mean you can walk into the Health Centre, say in Tenerife, and get treatment for free even if it isn't an emergency?

According to the internet EHIC is for emergency treatment only GFG. If you are in pain or have say Sickness and Diarrhea they would treat you! but then why would anyone walk into a health Centre unless they were feeling ill, in pain or had an accident? I suppose it´s all according as to what you define as an Emergency?:spin:

https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/frequentlyAsked.do

cainaries
09-01-2012, 23:26

Aaagh! I just copied and pasted, GFG! Please don't ask me to interpret Governmentese. The definition quoted is certainly much broader than I anticipated and appears to cover pre-existing conditions if they should flare up whilst you're away.

beerfan
09-01-2012, 23:58

The way I understand it is that it's basically a reciprocal health arrangement between EU/EEA/CH countries. So you'd probably be entitled to whatever is laid down for that particular country.

If travel insurance is extremely expensive it may be worth just relying on that depending on what options are open to you.

You could always give the EHIC bods a call and ask them?

Skeggy
10-01-2012, 07:54
The way I understand it is that it's basically a reciprocal health arrangement between EU/EEA/CH countries. So you'd probably be entitled to whatever is laid down for that particular country.

If travel insurance is extremely expensive it may be worth just relying on that depending on what options are open to you.

You could always give the EHIC bods a call and ask them?

You I believe understand it perfectly well, but repatriation is mainly what is not covered and is very costly and you would be sensible to insure privately.

beerfan
10-01-2012, 08:20
You I believe understand it perfectly well, but repatriation is mainly what is not covered and is very costly and you would be sensible to insure privately.

Indeed, and insurance is one thing I do strongly suggest. However, if the insurance costs are stratospherically expensive and simply unaffordable you have two options: a) simply don't go on holiday or b) rely on the EHIC agreement. Bear in mind, though, that not all cover under EHIC is necessarily free - i.e. you may have to pay local costs and so on that would apply to locals anyway.

Repatriation? Why would this be needed? Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to continue one's treatment in Spain until one is well enough to return to the UK?

Skeggy
10-01-2012, 08:50
Repatriation would probably be a very important aspect of travel insurance to the elderly for whom the odds of becoming ill whilst on holiday get shorter. Your suggestion of remaining in Spain would be very expensive as most people travel as a couple and neither would like to be left alone when taken perhaps seriously ill with a stroke from which recovery can be a very long process. It is the cost of travel insurance for people over 60 that increases rapidly after that age and the existence of medical conditions that according to many are not disclosed to insurance companies and present claim problems. The EHIC arrangements sound fine but putting them in to operation when in Spain most ambulances or Hotel doctors are not within the system, very daunting for a patient with no knowledge of the Spanish language.

beerfan
10-01-2012, 09:09
It sounds like for those over 60 that they can be in a rock or a hard place if they wish to travel abroad on holiday, then.

Would other English-speaking EU countries be better for them perhaps (like Malta)? No language barrier would exist there.

Goforgold
10-01-2012, 09:15

I was just being curious as to what was covered at the Health Centre as I would never travel without Health/Travel Insurance. If I couldn't afford the insurance then I wouldn't take the holiday. As you say Skeggy it's the others costs that people also need to pay particular attention to.

It sounds like for those over 60 that they can be in a rock or a hard place if they wish to travel abroad on holiday, then.

Would other English-speaking EU countries be better for them perhaps (like Malta)? No language barrier would exist there.

Not warm enough in winter Beerfan ;)

golf birdie
10-01-2012, 10:29
also, if you take ill on the plane and the plane is forced to land else where, YOU are liable for the costs which can run into many 1000's :wink:

willowlily
10-01-2012, 11:41
also, if you take ill on the plane and the plane is forced to land else where, YOU are liable for the costs which can run into many 1000's :wink:

hi golf birdie, i giggled at your post, but this whole thread is very informative and better leave no stone unturned when travel insurance is concerned, so any other imaginative off the wall and thinking out of the box revelations are very welcome.

cainaries
10-01-2012, 23:33

You've hit the nail on the head here. This is exactly why everyone needs travel insurance because neither the country you are travelling from nor the country you are travelling to is going to cover your costs if you are taken ill on the plane. It's only a few hours ... but .... this was the one thing that prompted me to take out travel insurance. Anyone know if EHIC Plus covers the travelling time?

Mawkin
11-01-2012, 00:01
I have always taken the view if I could not afford to pay for travel insurance I could not afford the holiday in the first place.

Saniya
13-01-2012, 09:03
Financial problem is likely to be encountered by you if you do not have an travel insurance and things do go wrong while you are away. Many people who leave themselves exposed to this financial risk unfortunately find that they are unable to work as they are injured. However, they still have rent and/or mortgages, car or other loan expenses and the array of expenses that we all face in our day to day lives that need to be paid.

edsa
13-01-2012, 19:12
My OH had a heart attack whilst on holiday in America, in Sept. We were only four days into a months visit. He had two spells in hospital, we got escorted back to uk with a doctor. The medical bill was over $100,000.
We had basic insurance which meant the medical bills and the extra costs of hotels was covered. We would have had a higher level of cover BUT...a yearly policy only covered for trips up to 30 days and a premium policy didn't cover us for the total length of our trip which was almost seven weeks in total. That was traveling from Spain, mainland, two weeks in UK, a month in America and then a stopover in uk again on the way back.
I spent many hours going through the small print on a number of policies before taking this policy out. It is just as important to check that you are not planning to be away longer than your policy allows.
We were out of pocket by quite a lot of money at the end of it and the whole business was a nightmare made worse by the insurance company trying to bully us into getting on a plane as soon as they wanted us to even though my OH still needed another operation. But at the end of the day we have a lot to be thankful for, prompt action by the emergency services and two top surgeons and we don't have to sell our house to pay the bill.

bonitatime
13-01-2012, 21:25
There is somewhere I woukdnt got without serious cover

johncalvin50
25-01-2012, 13:12
Traveling often brings numerous hazards and mishaps with it. When we travel abroad, a long distance from our home country, it is harder to overcome certain difficulties.Travel Insurance helps us to recover from such unpredictable circumstances.

willowlily
25-01-2012, 20:30
My OH had a heart attack whilst on holiday in America, in Sept. We were only four days into a months visit. He had two spells in hospital, we got escorted back to uk with a doctor. The medical bill was over $100,000.
We had basic insurance which meant the medical bills and the extra costs of hotels was covered. We would have had a higher level of cover BUT...a yearly policy only covered for trips up to 30 days and a premium policy didn't cover us for the total length of our trip which was almost seven weeks in total. That was traveling from Spain, mainland, two weeks in UK, a month in America and then a stopover in uk again on the way back.
I spent many hours going through the small print on a number of policies before taking this policy out. It is just as important to check that you are not planning to be away longer than your policy allows.
We were out of pocket by quite a lot of money at the end of it and the whole business was a nightmare made worse by the insurance company trying to bully us into getting on a plane as soon as they wanted us to even though my OH still needed another operation. But at the end of the day we have a lot to be thankful for, prompt action by the emergency services and two top surgeons and we don't have to sell our house to pay the bill.

you were very lucky that things worked out so well. i have standard annual insurance but if i go on an extended or multi destinational trip i always upgrade and pay extra to cover those extra weeks " months " it is supprisingly not as expensive as you would think