PDA

View Full Version : Has AI seen its day in Tenerife?

Zara
23-07-2011, 14:49
I was in Los Cristianos this morning and speaking with a lady who has lived here for many years and knows members of both Arona and Adeje Council. We were discussing how quiet the town was during the day (admittedly the last couple of evenings have been busy) but for a Saturday morning there were loads of parking spaces :pray: OK now this is what she said and I for one hope it is not just wishful thinking or Tenerife rumour.

She had heard that all requests for establishments to go All Inclusive would be categorically turned down from 1st January next. Whether there will be a mad rush before that date remains to be seen, but hopefully the powers that be have noticed what this trend is doing to the tourist industry of the island.

bonitatime
23-07-2011, 14:55
Can't comment on the AI but the parking spaces is actually a good sign it means the hundreds of rent a cars are actually out on the road no parked on side streets.

primrose
23-07-2011, 15:09
I was in Los Cristianos this morning and speaking with a lady who has lived here for many years and knows members of both Arona and Adeje Council. We were discussing how quiet the town was during the day (admittedly the last couple of evenings have been busy) but for a Saturday morning there were loads of parking spaces :pray: OK now this is what she said and I for one hope it is not just wishful thinking or Tenerife rumour.

She had heard that all requests for establishments to go All Inclusive would be categorically turned down from 1st January next. Whether there will be a mad rush before that date remains to be seen, but hopefully the powers that be have noticed what this trend is doing to the tourist industry of the island.

The people that want AI will just go somewhere else if they can't get it in Tenerife, it really doesn't matter to them where they are if they are the kind that stay in the Hotel all the time they are here. Nobody forces them to go AI it is their choice, they still eat and drink while they are here even if it is in the Hotel but somebody has to supply the Hotel, they still need staff to work there, I personally think it is a no win situation. Do they want Holiday makers in Tenerife they are taking away the choice of AI and trying to stop people letting out private apartments, you take away the choice and you lose the people.

sleepy
23-07-2011, 15:23
Maybe this decision( if true) has some bearing on the 17 tourist board inspectors currently doing the rounds.Perhaps they discovered that there is so much private and illegal letting going on that if stopped,it could destroy the islands shops/ business's.

doreen
23-07-2011, 16:35
OK now this is what she said and I for one hope it is not just wishful thinking or Tenerife rumour.

As far as I know, there is no application to be made to go All Inclusive ... the only thing the Tourist Board/Cabildo regulate is the classification (number of stars) for hotels: going All Inclusive is an internal decision for the hotel management.

Zara
23-07-2011, 16:37
As far as I know, there is no application to be made to go All Inclusive ... the only thing the Tourist Board/Cabildo regulate is the classification (number of stars) for hotels: going All Inclusive is an internal decision for the hotel management.

Ah well there you go then - wishful thinking :cry:

Jimandsi
23-07-2011, 16:40
You could also consider the OP's question another way round and ask:- Has Los Cristianos seen it's day ?

Recent reports from members have been saying that the Island is currently packed with holidaymakers, businesses have never been busier and it's just like the good old days.

Yet LC is so quiet on a Saturday morning. :confused:

Zara
23-07-2011, 16:45
You could also consider the OP's question another way round and ask:- Has Los Cristianos seen it's day ?

Recent reports from members have been saying that the Island is currently packed with holidaymakers, businesses have never been busier and it's just like the good old days.

Yet LC is so quiet on a Saturday morning. :confused:

Yes Jimbo it was quiet but you seemed to overlook the bit where I said ...(admittedly the last couple of evenings have been busy)...

http://vz.iminent.com/vz/4977f227-4eb2-4da4-8dbc-b91d6260f166/2/football-red-card.gif :raspberry2:

with cheese
23-07-2011, 16:45
AI people won't just go any where. I have frinds that choose the destination and then choose AI if available at the right price. I think for many it is Destination that is more important.

Jimandsi
23-07-2011, 16:47
AI people won't just go any where. I have frinds that choose the destination and then choose AI if available at the right price. I think for many it is Destination that is more important.

If they don't even leave their hotel what difference does it make ?

soren lorenson
23-07-2011, 17:30
I think it all depends on the quality of AI. the lower end of the market, the quality and service is awful, I“ve had AI people in the bar where I work in Los Gigs a couple of times this week as the service and food is so bad. I guess you get what you pay for.

My general opinion on AI is that it is bad for the island, just my opinion!

primrose
23-07-2011, 18:18
I think it all depends on the quality of AI. the lower end of the market, the quality and service is awful, I“ve had AI people in the bar where I work in Los Gigs a couple of times this week as the service and food is so bad. I guess you get what you pay for.

My general opinion on AI is that it is bad for the island, just my opinion!

Don't understand when people say it's bad for the Island, it is not only Tenerife that has AI it is all over the world, and somebody somewhere must be doing it right or else it would die out, some Hotels have terrible food and terrible service.People have a right to choose how they spend their money and what accommodation they stay in, SC AI or Hotel but at least they have chosen to holiday in Tenerife.

pablo1
23-07-2011, 18:27
I've just booked a week in Ibiza and after checking all options went for AI.
The price to go half board was 2200 for 2 adults and one 4 year old, the AI option was 2380.
For me it was a no brainer, we'll still eat out everynight, but for an extra £180 the daytime snacks, drinks and ice-cream ( which my son can eat £180 worth alone ) are sorted and I won't have to be putting my hand in my pocket every 10 minutes.
The hotel is the one we wanted to stay in as it ticked all our boxes, the fact we're staying AI is inconsequential.

primrose
23-07-2011, 18:51
I've just booked a week in Ibiza and after checking all options went for AI.
The price to go half board was 2200 for 2 adults and one 4 year old, the AI option was 2380.
For me it was a no brainer, we'll still eat out everynight, but for an extra £180 the daytime snacks, drinks and ice-cream ( which my son can eat £180 worth alone ) are sorted and I won't have to be putting my hand in my pocket every 10 minutes.
The hotel is the one we wanted to stay in as it ticked all our boxes, the fact we're staying AI is inconsequential.

So going AI isn't a bad thing for Ibiza, if you use AI the right way everybody gains.

MaxineC
23-07-2011, 20:11
I spoke to 2 families today, at different places, both had come to the island in AI for their first visits but during their stays checked out LC & PDLA bars & restaurants. One couple were on their 4th visit, the other on their 12th... and both had never returned to AI, having felt there were plenty of reasonably priced places to eat & drink...

Suej
23-07-2011, 20:45
I would never say that Tenerife was an AI type of destination. Dominican Republic, Maldives, Jamaica and these sort of places are often AI as there is very little outside of the luxury of their hotels. only an opinion:)

Red Devil
23-07-2011, 21:00
I spoke to 2 families today, at different places, both had come to the island in AI for their first visits but during their stays checked out LC & PDLA bars & restaurants. One couple were on their 4th visit, the other on their 12th... and both had never returned to AI, having felt there were plenty of reasonably priced places to eat & drink...

That's a really good point - if it's one way of getting first timers to the island, well, excellent. Most people do return, so after the first time they may feel confident/happy enough to try the other options.

Sal
23-07-2011, 21:13
We would never do AI in Tenerife - or even a package! We get a private rental apartment and book flights all online - so much cheaper than going to a travel agent and much better accommodation than package deals.
There are some excellent restaurants and bars in LC (where we always go) and you have a choice of what to eat and when - unlike AI.

slodgedad
23-07-2011, 21:35
There was and still is a moratorium on AI which is why the vast majority can only offer it on arrival, or via discrete hints in their adverts.

Whatever the law, especially here, there is a manana loophole

Sundowner
23-07-2011, 21:35
BB, HB, FB, AI,or private rental, People will always choose what suits them!

Sal
23-07-2011, 21:41
BB, HB, FB, AI,or private rental, People will always choose what suits them!

Of course! What suits us wouldn't necessarily suit everyone else - it's good to have a choice.

MaxineC
23-07-2011, 21:52
I truly believe that many of the establishments that moan the AI hotels have taken their trade, need to look a little closer to home. If they offer what the tourist wants, in a well run, with pleasant surroundings and is clean (some places look disgusting!) they will get the custom, irrespective of the type of accommodation the guests are staying in. If the place looks scruffy, has miserable/moaning staff, grotty furniture that they got free off the drinks suppliers and only cater for the the British tourist wanting pints for 1€ and all you can eat breakfasts for 2.99€, they're limiting their client base....

Times have changed, competition is stiff, they have to move with the times... Look at what you're offering, before blaming it on everything else. Quite often your downturn in business is from your own complacency...!

Sal
23-07-2011, 21:58
I truly believe that many of the establishments that moan the AI hotels have taken their trade, need to look a little closer to home. If they offer what the tourist wants, in a well run, with pleasant surroundings and is clean (some places look disgusting!) they will get the custom, irrespective of the type of accommodation the guests are staying in. If the place looks scruffy, has miserable/moaning staff, grotty furniture that they got free off the drinks suppliers and only cater for the the British tourist wanting pints for 1€ and all you can eat breakfasts for 2.99€, they're limiting their client base....

Times have changed, competition is stiff, they have to move with the times... Look at what you're offering, before blaming it on everything else. Quite often your downturn in business is from your own complacency...!

Couldn't agree more!

Sundowner
23-07-2011, 22:00

Very true Maxine, everyone has suffered from the downturn worldwide, those who adapt to the new challenges this presents will not only survive but come out stronger.

candy2411
23-07-2011, 22:37
I would never say that Tenerife was an AI type of destination. Dominican Republic, Maldives, Jamaica and these sort of places are often AI as there is very little outside of the luxury of their hotels. only an opinion:)

Totally agree, not only is there very little to see or do outside of the hotel complex of these destinations , but its also extremely unsafe !

Where's the fun in that ? some friends of mine recently went to Mexico and were warned on arrival it would be unsafe to leave the hotel grounds. Not only that, the hotel's private beach was patrolled by armed guards. Just as well they were AI......but if all you have is a luxury hotel and can't safely explore the local areas , why travel halfway across the world .

At least Tenerife has all types of board available and if people choose AI its not because of safety concerns.

Sundowner
23-07-2011, 22:51
[QUOTE=candy2411;66408]Totally agree, not only is there very little to see or do outside of the hotel complex of these destinations , but its also extremely unsafe !

Where's the fun in that ? some friends of mine recently went to Mexico and were warned on arrival it would be unsafe to leave the hotel grounds. Not only that, the hotel's private beach was patrolled by armed guards. Just as well they were AI......but if all you have is a luxury hotel and can't safely explore the local areas , why travel halfway across the world

I don't doubt that they were told it was unsafe...............but ............sometimes it is used as marketing ploy to keep you on site or to buy their "safe" excursions.

candy2411
23-07-2011, 23:01
[QUOTE=

I don't doubt that they were told it was unsafe...............but ............sometimes it is used as marketing ploy to keep you on site or to buy their "safe" excursions.

Maybe you're right, but I know if I saw guards patrolling the beach with guns I wouldn't question the motives

with cheese
24-07-2011, 00:51
If they don't even leave their hotel what difference does it make ?
You are right Jimbo, it don't, these do leave the hotel though but if the destination they want has A1 they will probably choose it and use it a bit, if it doesn't, they will still go to that destination.