PDA

View Full Version : Rugby Tenerife Forum Rugby Union World Cup thread 2011.

tonypub
23-07-2011, 20:14
only 47 days to go till the big kick off.all games will be free to air in most countrys.ITV in the uk have broadcasting rights.heres the opening fixture list http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/fixtures/poolstage.html most games will be about 8am uk time,some earlier,some later as the tourneo is down under

cainaries
08-08-2011, 00:47
Oh, thank goodness there is a thread about this. We may have to go back to the UK to watch it. But, even if we do, will we see every match? Last time our weird wizard hacker found us french tv channels and we saw every match from start to finish but I don't think we'll manage this time and we're already getting edgy. Is there a programme somewhere to show exactly which channel is going to show exactly which match .. and live?

casabonny
08-08-2011, 10:56
They are advertsing it on Channel 5 or ITV 4 I think so assume most will be availble on those channels.Looking forward to it.Come on Wales !

cainaries
09-09-2011, 08:52
Today's the day! Fortunately we've found the opening matches (and I hope all of them) are going to be on our Spanish subscription channel. I think we are going to have to sleep in the afternoons for a few weeks so we can watch the matches at night. Come on Engerland!

Leam_Lin
09-09-2011, 09:17
Today's the day! Fortunately we've found the opening matches (and I hope all of them) are going to be on our Spanish subscription channel. I think we are going to have to sleep in the afternoons for a few weeks so we can watch the matches at night. Come on Engerland!

I was in a shop waiting for my daughter, standing next to me was a very tall charming man, we had a chat, no idea who he was, turns out it was Martin Johnson., this was about six years ago.

dokgolf
09-09-2011, 09:30
Yes, I met London's mayor once. A thoroughly charming individual!:)

tonypub
10-09-2011, 11:33
Saturday, 10 September 2011
Argentina 9 - 13
(6 - 3) England R
Tries:
Youngs
Penalties:
Contepomi, Rodriguez 2 Penalties:
Wilkinson 2
Conversions:
Wilkinson

Otago Stadium
Fiji 49 - 25
(32 - 15) Namibia R
Tries:
Goneva 4, Nakarawa, Nalaga Tries:
Koll, Botha
Penalties:
Bai 3 Penalties:
Kotze 2
Drop-goals:
Kotze 3
Conversions:
Bai 5

Rotorua International Stadium
France 47 - 21
(25 - 11) Japan R
Tries:
Pierre, Trinh-Duc, Clerc, Nallet, Pape, Parra Tries:
Arlidge 2
Penalties:
Yachvili 3 Penalties:
Arlidge 2
Drop-goals:
Arlidge
Conversions:
Yachvili 4 Conversions:
Arlidge

North Harbour Stadium
Scotland 34 - 24
(18 - 11) Romania R
Tries:
Blair, Ansbro, Danielli 2 Tries:
Lazar, Carpo
Penalties:
Paterson 4 Penalties:
Dumbrava 2, Dimofte 2
Conversions:
Paterson Conversions:
Dimofte

Rugby Park Stadium

a tough start for england but they pulled through despite jonny wilkinson missin 5 kicks at goal.:wow:

cainaries
11-09-2011, 11:47
I thought this was quite amusing:-

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/nz-naked-rugby-team-exposed-spanish-women-044629217.html

marbro8
11-09-2011, 12:08
can anyone explain to me why the japanese have got several brits playing for them? or has rugby gone the same way as our cricket were our top players are all south african:(

cainaries
11-09-2011, 12:10
can anyone explain to me why the japanese have got several brits playing for them? or has rugby gone the same way as our cricket were our top players are all south african:(

Are they Brits? We'd assumed they were New Zealanders imported by the Japanese Coach, John Kirwan. And the answer to your question is 'yes'. You need only look at the English team.

CaribeCelt
11-09-2011, 13:29
Got up early (for a Sunday anyway)to watch the Ireland match and the Yank's gave them a good stern test at times but Ireland finally gave themselves a shake and won relatively easy in the end.

Marbro8,the Japanese coach must be doing a Jackie Charlton...fair play to him.

marbro8
11-09-2011, 15:43
Are they Brits? We'd assumed they were New Zealanders imported by the Japanese Coach, John Kirwan. And the answer to your question is 'yes'. You need only look at the English team.you may be right, i know one of them plays for a Nottingham team, but i always thought you had to be either born in a country or have relatives from a country to be able to represent them?:dontknow:

CaribeCelt
11-09-2011, 16:22
you may be right, i know one of them plays for a Nottingham team, but i always thought you had to be either born in a country or have relatives from a country to be able to represent them?:dontknow:

Apparently they can pick any team...I think...have a read through this I could'nt be bothered:D

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/3121257/IRB-vetoes-dual-nationality-plan

casabonny
12-09-2011, 10:11
AS far as I understand things you are correct you have to have been born in a country of have immediate family ie mother /father grandparents of that country to be able to represent them.As for playing at clunlevel you can play more or less anywhere you like in the world , if theyll have you !
An example, I am Welsh, hubby English so any child of ours could represent either England or Wales in almost any sport .
Aside from that most of the matches I have seen sso far have been quite good but Wales V South Africa was by far the best , even though we lost.It was a good match lots of action and the Referee was supurb , explaning everthing clearly and being polite!
S hame on those England players who had to swear so blatently on camera( I know they all use foul language but at times it was uncalled for )

cainaries
12-09-2011, 10:23
AS far as I understand things you are correct you have to have been born in a country of have immediate family ie mother /father grandparents of that country to be able to represent them.As for playing at clunlevel you can play more or less anywhere you like in the world , if theyll have you !
An example, I am Welsh, hubby English so any child of ours could represent either England or Wales in almost any sport .
Aside from that most of the matches I have seen sso far have been quite good but Wales V South Africa was by far the best , even though we lost.It was a good match lots of action and the Referee was supurb , explaning everthing clearly and being polite!
S hame on those England players who had to swear so blatently on camera( I know they all use foul language but at times it was uncalled for )

A very gracious post, casabonny. Wales were unlucky to lose by just that 1 point. I'm not going to comment on England as it was simply too depressing. As for the black strip ..... and France played in white ..... WHY?

dokgolf
17-09-2011, 11:45
Ireland with the shock of the tournament so far, have beaten Australia.... and deservedly so! Our scrum was magnificent ( though helped by some strange refereeing decisions), we were quicker to the breaking ball, better on set pieces. I don't know where this performance came from as we were only average at best against the USA and lost all 4 of our warm up matches. We're not going to win the world cup, and we have to win our next 2 games, but what a massive shot in the arm for the country. I think I'm going to get very drunk today/tonight!!:jumping::jumping::jumping:

Added after 11 Hours 34 minutes:

Have just hurt my back doing a reconstruction of the Irish scrum today. Thats what I get for having 3 idiot mates a& crate of beer! I better ring the Irish management team an tell them to take me of the reserves list for the rest of the tournamnet! (Sic!)

Leam_Lin
18-09-2011, 07:51
Half time England 17 Georgia 10.

cainaries
18-09-2011, 22:32
Ireland with the shock of the tournament so far, have beaten Australia.... and deservedly so! Our scrum was magnificent ( though helped by some strange refereeing decisions), we were quicker to the breaking ball, better on set pieces. I don't know where this performance came from as we were only average at best against the USA and lost all 4 of our warm up matches. We're not going to win the world cup, and we have to win our next 2 games, but what a massive shot in the arm for the country. I think I'm going to get very drunk today/tonight!!:jumping::jumping::jumping:

Added after 11 Hours 34 minutes:

Have just hurt my back doing a reconstruction of the Irish scrum today. Thats what I get for having 3 idiot mates a& crate of beer! I better ring the Irish management team an tell them to take me of the reserves list for the rest of the tournamnet! (Sic!)

It was a brilliant match and I loved every minute of it!
It was so heartening to see such a good match as ... as an England supporter ... I am not at all happy with 'my team.

dokgolf
18-09-2011, 22:55
It was a brilliant match and I loved every minute of it!
It was so heartening to see such a good match as ... as an England supporter ... I am not at all happy with 'my team.

The thing with England though, is that they can grind out results. They got to the final last time without ever setting the rugby world alight. They could well do it again,as this side of the draw is now wide open.

AL JAY
01-10-2011, 11:18
Well done England,you deffo know how to do it the hard way!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJRojmvlE6U&feature=related

ENGLAND 16 VS SCOTLAND 12

tonypub
01-10-2011, 11:32
iits all about peaking at the right time,4 wins outta 4 .we are on track for maybe whales in the semis

dokgolf
01-10-2011, 11:50
Maybe Ireland in the semis?

cainaries
01-10-2011, 14:19
Maybe Ireland in the semis?

Might be easier than 'whales'!

dokgolf
02-10-2011, 11:20
Ireland 36 Italy 6. Emphatic win for Ireland. Bad tempered match . Ghiraldini, the Italina hooker will surely be cited for an attempted eye gouge on Cian Healy. Ireland should have won by more. They had a perfectly good try disallowed for what, I don't know, AND Tommy Bowe should have been awarded a penalty try towards the end. Nick Hallet's prediction of destroying the Irish scrum proved unfounded. This side of the draw is wide open.

slodgedad
02-10-2011, 12:41
Sad to admit it but as a Welshman I would have preferred anyone, other than Ireland in the quarter finals.

IMO the best team in the tournament so far.

I fancy them to go all the way.

dokgolf
02-10-2011, 15:13
Now now SD, don't be trying to put the mockers on us!!:cheeky:

dokgolf
08-10-2011, 10:46
Well done Wales, the better side won.:crying2: Jamie Roberts was immense. The Welsh scrum had the upper hand and denied us the platform to let loose our backs. Warburton and Phillips were at their rampaging best. Am gutted to have lost but we were second best on the day. Hope Wales get, at the very least, to the final:c2::c2::goodluck:

tonypub
08-10-2011, 11:01
well done wHales and france,hard luck ireland,not good enough england,you was sh ite

atlantico
08-10-2011, 12:11
even though I'd have liked to see a Wales v England semi final - they're out and thats all that counts, the smug , smugging, smugs

roll on France - you're next !

tonypub
08-10-2011, 12:56
Now we will see ALL the english rugby fans get behind the welsh,if the boot was on the other foot i dont think the same could be said of wHales fans,sad really,but hey ho,cmon wHales

Angusjim
08-10-2011, 13:03
Tony I can assure you the whole of Scotland were behind you today and we are all totally devastated the you were beaten :cry::whistle:

tonypub
08-10-2011, 13:21
Tony I can assure you the whole of Scotland were behind you today and we are all totally devastated the you were beaten :cry::whistle:yaeh.i bet your all laughing your skirts off:wink:

slodgedad
08-10-2011, 22:44
Absolutely chuffed.

As I said in a previous post Ireland were the best team I'd seen so far.

C'mon you frogs...........................

cainaries
09-10-2011, 12:04
Now we will see ALL the english rugby fans get behind the welsh,if the boot was on the other foot i dont think the same could be said of wHales fans,sad really,but hey ho,cmon wHales
As a disgusted England fan I was backing Argentina but it was not to be so, yes, happy to back Wales now (there is obviously some subtle joke in your spelling, apologies, I thought it was a simple typo the first time I saw it).

Whereabouts is your pub? We have some friends arriving in Tenerife in the middle of Friday night/Saturday morning and the husband would like somewhere to watch the matches. They are coming by ferry into Los Cris. Thanks.

casabonny
09-10-2011, 14:57
Absolutly cracking game by Wales well done.Good match this morning but all in all Argentina were not going to win were they .Keeping my hopes up for a Wales v All blacks final .Cymru Am byth

dokgolf
09-10-2011, 22:43
England, imo, are playing an out dated form of rugby, the type that saw them win the cup 8 years ago. They are trying to win game using positions 1 to 10 virtually on their own. 8 years ago, they had the pack to pummel teams into submission and to a lesser extent 4 years ago. They need to change management from top down, including those on ERU board and start discovering more talent across the backs and a scrum half who can deliver quick ball. Johnson picked a team with "old reliables" e.g Wilkinson, Tindall, 2 players that should never have travelled in the first place. Johnson ( what management experience had he before the England job?) has Plan A, keep play tight with the pack attempting to control the game. The problem is, if this fails ( and most teams know how to counteract it these days), he has no plan B. Big shake up ahead for English rugby, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

SnowGlassApples
10-10-2011, 09:24
Hello everyone - will be arriving in Tenerife on Friday and staying in Los Cristianos. Could anyone tell me if there's anywhere I can watch the semi-finals on Saturday morning please? Cymru am byth!! Thank you in advance :o)

cainaries
10-10-2011, 10:50
Hello everyone - will be arriving in Tenerife on Friday and staying in Los Cristianos. Could anyone tell me if there's anywhere I can watch the semi-finals on Saturday morning please? Cymru am byth!! Thank you in advance :o)

Welcome to the Forum, SnowGlassApples, If you happen to find somewhere in Los Cris, please post on here so I can tell my friends who are also looking for somewhere to watch the semis in Los Cris (see post 35 above). Many thanks!

d41pse
14-10-2011, 20:31
QUOTE:Originally Posted by SnowGlassApples
Hello everyone - will be arriving in Tenerife on Friday and staying in Los Cristianos. Could anyone tell me if there's anywhere I can watch the semi-finals on Saturday morning please? Cymru am byth!! Thank you in advance )

QUOTE:Welcome to the Forum, SnowGlassApples, If you happen to find somewhere in Los Cris, please post on here so I can tell my friends who are also looking for somewhere to watch the semis in Los Cris (see post 35 above). Many thanks!

Zizi's Bar in the Apolo Centre, Los Cris is def open early tomorrow morning for the Wales v France game been in touch with Elaine the owner earlier today. You'll have an excellent welcome with Marcus and Elaine lovely bar. Cymru Am Byth :cheers:

tonypub
14-10-2011, 21:38
good luck for manana wHales:c2: