PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy tobacco from this shop. They seem to be selling old stock.

steve_
24-07-2011, 12:30
Just to let you guys know. I recently bought a large pack of Drum Light for a friend from the tobacconist in Los Chris, in the harbor next to Burger King. I picked up a 10 pack from the shelf, the assistant took it off me and replaced it with two 5 packs, he told this is what I needed for the plane! I thought it a bit strange but as I don't smoke anymore....
My friend had to throw it all away, apparently it was in packets at least seven years old, it was almost black and made him cough. I got a mouth full of abuse (he won't be getting any more from me!) anyways It looks like they are swapping fresh for old stock.
Buyer beware

caroletenerife
24-07-2011, 12:36
You need eyes in the back of your head with some people, some of the electronic shops are the same, wouldn't buy so much as a battery from them

sleepy
24-07-2011, 12:40
Just to let you guys know. I recently bought a large pack of Drum Light for a friend from the tobacconist in Los Chris, in the harbor next to Burger King. I picked up a 10 pack from the shelf, the assistant took it off me and replaced it with two 5 packs, he told this is what I needed for the plane! I thought it a bit strange but as I don't smoke anymore....
My friend had to throw it all away, apparently it was in packets at least seven years old, it was almost black and made him cough. I got a mouth full of abuse (he won't be getting any more from me!) anyways It looks like they are swapping fresh for old stock.
Buyer beware

Thanks for the warning.
I've quit smoking now for a few months but before that,I had a job to find any brand of hand rolling tobacco in any shop(which included good class tobacconists)that contained what it was meant to.

tonypub
24-07-2011, 12:42
spanish style every time.better to be safe than sorry.they do a good price aswell.

Tom
24-07-2011, 12:42
Thanks for the warning.
I've quit smoking now for a few months but before that,I had a job to find any brand of hand rolling tobacco in any shop(which included good class tobacconists)that contained what it was meant to.
In what sense ?

sleepy
24-07-2011, 12:49
spanish style every time.better to be safe than sorry.they do a good price aswell.

They were one of the worst offenders and I tried all different brands from two different shops over several months.

In what sense ?

In the sense that it was all fake counterfeit tobacco which is even more harmful than the real McCoy.It tastes disgusting too!!!

atlantico
24-07-2011, 13:03
this shop has had LOTS of complaints, the other being that they advertise in UK Sterling and then their exchange rate is terrible and makes them more expensive

Tom
24-07-2011, 13:37
They were one of the worst offenders and I tried all different brands from two different shops over several months.

In the sense that it was all fake counterfeit tobacco which is even more harmful than the real McCoy.It tastes disgusting too!!!

So every shop in the south sells fake tobacco ?

sleepy
24-07-2011, 13:57
So every shop in the south sells fake tobacco ?

I cant say all shops and not all of the time(but for sure all the ones I used over the years).Sometimes I was lucky enough to get the good stuff and some shops are not even aware that they are selling it.
With hindsight ,I should have asked for the book to make a complaint at each of them.

Tom
24-07-2011, 14:08
I cant say all shops and not all of the time(but for sure all the ones I used over the years).Sometimes I was lucky enough to get the good stuff and some shops are not even aware that they are selling it.
With hindsight ,I should have asked for the book to make a complaint at each of them.
You have made some quite broad statements about Tabasco shops, would you like to back it up with being a bit more precise ?
We for one always take some home and would rather not find out the stuff is snide when we get home.

moonlighter
24-07-2011, 14:39

We have bought all our duty free from Spanish Style for the last 12 years & have never had a problem with it being counterfeit. We make a special trip there & never buy from anywhere else. Always a good price too.

caroletenerife
24-07-2011, 14:53
i wouldnt know if they were fake fags, how can you tell? To be honest i knew they will kill me, fake ones will just kill me that bit quicker.

ruggernutter
24-07-2011, 14:56
i have always used victor he has the Indian shop on the middle square at San blass he gives a very good rate for sterlig and his tobacco products are all genuine.

sleepy
24-07-2011, 14:57
Aren't you the lucky one then!Considering I was a customer for 52 weeks over 11 years I wouldn't have expected to be sold counterfeit sub standard goods.I gave them enough chances too.I was advised by one of the girls to change brands.What does that tell you :rolleyes:

AL JAY
24-07-2011, 14:59
i wouldnt know if they were fake fags, how can you tell? To be honest i knew they will kill me, fake ones will just kill me that bit quicker.

The fake ones smell like Ghandi's flip flops and you have to put a boil plaster on your ass to get a decent drag out of them :ashamed: ;):D

Tom
24-07-2011, 15:12
The fake ones smell like Ghandi's flip flops and you have to put a boil plaster on your ass to get a decent drag out of them :ashamed: ;):D

Reminds me of the when silk cut launched their extra low tar fags, my mates missus made him smoke them and he would tape around the filter before he lit it !

anto3
24-07-2011, 16:06
Most of the people i know have been buying from the shop around the corner from the children playground on los cris beach oppoiste red lion bar, never any complaints

tonypub
24-07-2011, 16:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRX-rB-or9I how to tell the difference

MaxineC
24-07-2011, 17:36

Wow, what a sweeping statement!! :eek: My sone uses rolling tobacco, has bought it from many places, but usually Spanish Style... He's NEVER had a problem, nor have we with any cigarettes from there, irrespective of branch! If anybody's going back to the UK, they always take him some tobacco pouches, again bought from all over the place, and never any complaints...

:crylaughing: :crylaughing: :crylaughing:

timmylish
24-07-2011, 17:49
Well I have used Spanish Style for more than 20 yrs, month in month out and never, ever once had problems. The shops are all owned by a Spanish family who have created their own niche in the market because all of their stuff is ok. I would need some convincing that they were not as said to be and IF I found it to be the contrary and my fags were snide ones I would get to speak to the owners themselves.

delderek
24-07-2011, 18:01
You have made some quite broad statements about Tabasco shops, would you like to back it up with being a bit more precise ?
We for one always take some home and would rather not find out the stuff is snide when we get home.

I would say with 70% of the Asian shops, selling everything from camcorders to ciggies, be very very careful. Harry's place next to Admiral travel in LC which is genuine, has a list of the scams that some tobacco shops use, yes including the one near McDonalds that prices everything in sterling and charges in euros at a crazy rate, and the walkway between LC and PDLA is full of places selling counterfeit ciggies, the best way to check is to take a packet of genuine, and compare the printing and colours, many are very obvious.

MaxineC
24-07-2011, 18:10
Aren't you the lucky one then!Considering I was a customer for 52 weeks over 11 years I wouldn't have expected to be sold counterfeit sub standard goods.I gave them enough chances too.I was advised by one of the girls to change brands.What does that tell you :rolleyes:

Question: If they were so crap, why did you go back every week for 11 years... Makes no sense!! ???

sleepy
24-07-2011, 19:05
Question: If they were so crap, why did you go back every week for 11 years... Makes no sense!! ???

Answer:That post didn't say anywhere that they were crap over an 11 year period otherwise I wouldn't have. :confused:

Well I have used Spanish Style for more than 20 yrs, month in month out and never, ever once had problems. The shops are all owned by a Spanish family who have created their own niche in the market because all of their stuff is ok. I would need some convincing that they were not as said to be and IF I found it to be the contrary and my fags were snide ones I would get to speak to the owners themselves.

Why should I want to lie about my experience?I have no reason to plus I used to enjoy smoking my favourite blends but If you had smoked the exact same brands for 20 years wouldn't you think it strange how the taste,texture and colour of your tobacco had altered over night?
This was just one example and as I said previously I found the same in other local shops which must have bought these goods from the same place,maybe without even realizing in most cases.

marbro8
24-07-2011, 19:12
We for one always take some home and would rather not find out the stuff is snide when we get home. bloody hell!! they are making fake tabasco now? no wonder it's been burning my ****:eyebrows: on a serious note i always go to krishna (i think that's what they are called) there are 3, one under san telmo and one in the safari centre and never had any probs:spin:

Stoney
24-07-2011, 19:24
Look it very simple if the are really cheap, from a shop that sells mostly rubbish, don't buy them. Buy them from the airport duty free (ha ha) shop, they are still cheaper than the UK but should be real.

Tom
24-07-2011, 19:32
Just out of interest how much is an outer of golden Virginia these days ?

marbro8
24-07-2011, 19:40
:confused:
Just out of interest how much is an outer of golden Virginia these days ?what's an outer tom?

Tom
24-07-2011, 20:02
:confused:what's an outer tom?

I think they are in boxes of five out there. (50g pouches )

AL JAY
24-07-2011, 20:07
I bought a box of 5 for my brother a few weeks ago they cost 17.4 euro's in Spanish style by the Patch but it was Amber Leaf!

Tom
24-07-2011, 20:09
I bought a box of 5 for my brother a few weeks ago they cost 17.4 euro's in Spanish style by the Patch but it was Amber Leaf!

Same odds i think - cheers al

henry
24-07-2011, 20:35
you know i don´t smoke but harry´s cash and carry right across from live arico shop in los cristanos. they allways get their stock fresh. i go there all the time when i working at live arico to get coca-cola

Peterrayner
24-07-2011, 20:49
the little shop near Admiral Travel (Los Cristianos) called Dianes

best prices best VFM and no fiddles or rip offs.

henry
24-07-2011, 20:58
harry´s is right next to admital travel and money exchange can´t miss it

MaxineC
24-07-2011, 21:49
Answer:That post didn't say anywhere that they were crap over an 11 year period otherwise I wouldn't have. :confused:

Sorry, obviously misread your post... been a long few days! :whistle:

kieraj
24-07-2011, 23:03
harry´s is right next to admital travel and money exchange can´t miss it

we always used Harry's and there was never any problems x

WELSH CLASSIC
25-07-2011, 11:31
Seen someone taking is fags back to this shop saying outside they were fakes,he had is money back,and warned other shoppers.Buy mine in Spanish Style never a problem or in Funde Grube a bit more dearer but it can't see a retailer like this riping you off.

Tom
25-07-2011, 14:51
Seen someone taking is fags back to this shop saying outside they were fakes,he had is money back,and warned other shoppers.Buy mine in Spanish Style never a problem or in Funde Grube a bit more dearer but it can't see a retailer like this riping you off.
Which shop?

WELSH CLASSIC
27-07-2011, 10:44
Indian shop just up from Burger Kiing in Los Cris.As a sign outside saying Bloody Hell cig offers.Funde Grube is at the bottom of the Patch Las Americas (sea front walkway) near Bennetons shop.

Mick
27-07-2011, 15:15
Could very well have been fakes from China - who knows what's in them!

Mastiff
27-07-2011, 15:34
Harrys in Los Cris, Never had a problem there in six years.

jolfc
17-08-2011, 06:40
Last year I had a problem when oh got my cigarettes from an Indian shop in the shopping centre just behind Vistasur and opposite Compestella Beach. They were written in English and kind persons ( Al Jay ) being one of them advised me they were probably fakes. I got my cigarettes on the plane in the end going home, slightly more money, but never mind. Reading this thread it appears I am best going to Spanish Style, can anyone tell me if the supermarkets are the real thing and none of this fake business I am not bothered if they cost more, still alot cheaper than at home, ;), many thanks in advance.

moonlighter
17-08-2011, 07:17
Yes all the main supermarkets sell 'the real thing'.

Jinty
17-08-2011, 07:53
I personally don't smoke but whenever I'm buying them for friends I always use Harry's in Los Cris, as do all my family who did smoke, and we've never had an issue with fakes in over 17 years of shopping there.

Jackie
17-08-2011, 07:56
I personally don't smoke but whenever I'm buying them for friends I always use Harry's in Los Cris, as do all my family who did smoke, and we've never had an issue with fakes in over 17 years of shopping there.

Also Dianas a few doors along are good

tfs1
18-12-2011, 20:59
I find that Dianas a few doors along from Harrys is cheaper, it certaintly is for Grants whisky.

There is a nice old chap that is frequently in the shop who is always happy to spend time with you - rather than just take your money and move onto the next customer.