PDA

View Full Version : Grandad still in limbo in Tenerife after trial

KirstyJay
24-07-2011, 15:36
A MAN cleared of murder on a sunshine holiday island could be stuck abroad until September.
Stephen Johnson has been forced to live in the Spanish island of Tenerife for the last three and a half years while awaiting trial for the killing of a Moroccan man.

The grandfather was unanimously found not guilty following a trial that last five days two weeks ago.
But court officials on the island have failed to hand him back his passport which was taken off him as part of his bail conditions.

And if Stephen doesn’t see the travel document returned to him in the next week he believes it will be at least September before he has any chance of being re-united with it.

The 56-year-old said: “Pretty much the whole of the Spanish judicial system closes down in August. It’s just one of those things that happens out here and there’s nothing that can be done about it and nothing much gets done during the month.
“I was cleared by everyone on that jury and as far as I’m concerned they should have handed me back my passport there and then but they’ve been holding onto it.
“I’ve heard that the judge needs to send it off to Madrid and then for it to be returned to the judge then my solicitor and then me. It seems as though they’ve done their best to keep me here for all this time and now they’re intent on keeping me here longer.”

Stephen, who runs a coach hire company in Hetton le Hole, County Durham, became caught up in a fracas in the resort of Playa de las Americas in January 2008. He had been trying to break up a fight in which a 25-year-old Moroccan man was knifed to death.

But police believed he and fellow Brit Bryan O’Connell, 31, from Liverpool had killed the Moroccan and charged them both with murder. Both men were acquitted but found guilty of a lesser offence similar to public disorder for which they were fined.

Stephen said: “If I hadn’t of owned a property out here I would have spent the last three years in a prison cell. We only owned a property because my wife and I had been planning to retire out here.

“Although the people here are marvellous and have been really supportive and I can’t see us wanting to live the rest of our lives out here as I have no faith in the Spanish police. I think we’ll have to sell the property.”

source (http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/north-east-news/2011/07/24/grandad-still-in-limbo-in-tenerife-after-trial-79310-29108541/)

cainaries
24-07-2011, 17:56
I don't suppose contacting the British Embassy in Madrid would get him anywhere, would it?

Leena
25-07-2011, 11:42
I read about this is the paper while in Tenerife the other week, it is unbelieveable that this can be happening to this chap. Surely the Consulate should be stepping in, he is innocent and proven innocent. In this day and age how can the police be so corrupt and incompetant? My heart goes out to him and his family they must have been through hell.

caretenerife
25-07-2011, 19:41
We recently accompanied a gentleman who had been released from Sant Cruz back to the UK, he was told on his release his passport would be returned within days, in the end it took four months with his lawyer chasing it every day on his behalf
and that wasnt even during the holiday period
Unfortunately the Consulate or the foreign office couldnt seem to help in speeding things up

pablo1
26-07-2011, 19:13
Stepy has now received his passport and will be flying home Monday morning.
Any of his friends who wish to say goodbye and good luck, he'll be in The Full Monty from 10pm Friday and Saturday.

MummyJ
26-07-2011, 21:01
From Facebook

As you can see I have Finally got my Passport Back. Will be back late Sunday Night early Monday morning Into Newcastle. Any one that is in Tenerife I will be in The Full Monty (the Patch) on Friday and Saturday Night from 10pm. I would like to thank everybody for there strong support and for following me through this last 3 years and 7 Months of this horrible situation. for me and my Family.

pablo1
26-07-2011, 21:06
From Facebook

As you can see I have Finally got my Passport Back. Will be back late Sunday Night early Monday morning Into Newcastle. Any one that is in Tenerife I will be in The Full Monty (the Patch) on Friday and Saturday Night from 10pm. I would like to thank everybody for there strong support and for following me through this last 3 years and 7 Months of this horrible situation. for me and my Family.

My bad, I actually meant to post Fri/Sat. Sorry for any confusion.

caliente
26-07-2011, 22:01
From Facebook

Thanks for relaying the Facebook page info on here J.
Look forward to seeing the ol bugger.:drinking:

glostergirl
27-07-2011, 10:34
From Facebook

wishing you a speedy exit from this nightmare you and your family have had!! enjoy your parties you deserve it and a safe flight home. julie and family xx

MrsTT
27-07-2011, 13:10
Good news - hope you have a safe flight and very joyous reunions:D