PDA

View Full Version : Fleas, Fleas, FLEAS! Las Pulgas in Tenerife

atlantico
04-06-2011, 11:38
Ok, I've said it, I've found some !

BUT ! We don't have any animals or pets, so where do they come from and where do they live. ?

I've been doing a fair amount of gardening and tree cutting, can they have been there ?

Whats best way to kill them ? I've found 5, and they seem to like my ankles ! They're very small, but jump a mile !

I know there are many members with pets, so this must be a common problem ? No?

slodgedad
04-06-2011, 11:44

BUT ! We don't have any animals or pets, so where do they come from and where do they live. ?

I've been doing a fair amount of gardening and tree cutting, can they have been there ?

Whats best way to kill them ? I've found 5, and they seem to like my ankles ! They're very small, but jump a mile !

Borrow someone's dog and take it for a walk and make sure it licks your ankles..:idea::idea:

Suej
04-06-2011, 11:57

Most animal owners (I would hope) de-flea their animals regularly so it should never be a big problem. Are you over here? didnīt you have a family of cats in the garden? sorry if Iīm getting confused:)

tracey_in_tenerife
04-06-2011, 12:01
I had a major problem with them last year, they started in the back garden, we have no pets either but theres alot of stray cats in my area, we ended up having to get somone in to spray our outdoor area and indoors as well, if you want the number pm me, they returned for a top up just to make sure they where gone

atlantico
04-06-2011, 12:09
OK, and thanks, will do. Yes, we had a stray cat with kittens, so probably that's the source, but I didn't think they'd jump off a cat unless they found another source of food. So will they just die if no more animals around ? Or is that why they're chasing me?

Suej
04-06-2011, 12:16
OK, and thanks, will do. Yes, we had a stray cat with kittens, so probably that's the source, but I didn't think they'd jump off a cat unless they found another source of food. So will they just die if no more animals around ? Or is that why they're chasing me?

It might be possible that the fleas laid eggs? and theyīve hatched and found a suitable source of food..your ankles!:eek:

tracey_in_tenerife
04-06-2011, 12:18
no they wont die, they bit me to shreds on my ankles and the kids were bit all over with them being small and playing out all the time in the garden, they found there way into there beds, it was horrendous, they told us it may have been down to a stray cat and her kittens , will pm number now

Zara
04-06-2011, 13:00
Although I have pets I have never had a problem with fleas here as I treat the dogs every month, however when we lived in the UK I had a huge hydrangea bush and for some reason it attracted local cats. When my then basset hound used to go under the bush he would always come out and you could see the fleas walking over his coat. I never managed to get rid of them from the hydrangea but treating the dog immediately meant they didnīt get into the house.

with cheese
04-06-2011, 13:24
You have caught them off the forum.

candy2411
04-06-2011, 14:16
Anyone ever seen a hedgehog in Tenerife?

I think they're cute little creatures....but apparently the average hedgehog carries 1000 fleas!!!

Catty
04-06-2011, 14:32
Yes i have seen a few flat on the road unfortunately, but i did rescue one alive from a car park once.

with cheese
04-06-2011, 14:48
Anyone ever seen a hedgehog in Tenerife?

I think they're cute little creatures....but apparently the average hedgehog carries 1000 fleas!!!

And we moan at one or two.

Jackie
04-06-2011, 22:59
It seems that the source of the fleas is the cats, fortunately having two dogs that are treated every month to prevent fleas we never get cats coming into our garden

atlantico
05-06-2011, 01:45
Right, . . . well ! I've been walking around the garden/patios all day (got sunburnt!) trying to find the source of the damned fleas. AND they're everywhere ! Tried every spray in the cupboards and found that BAYGON kills them instantly . . . . so 3 cans later, the whole of house and outside area has been 'fumigated'. . .. . . . only morning will tell !

PLUS, 4 of us all day in garden, and only ME attracted them ! Must be my hairy feet as the others ankles were hairless!

DaveRF
05-06-2011, 01:55

In the 3 years we were in Tenerife with Sacha we never saw a single flea. I did treat her every month without fail though. In the UK we often got hedgehogs in the garden and the dogs frequently got infested and needed defleaing.