PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a work contract before you can open a bank account in Tenerife?

hazwaz
26-07-2011, 07:35
hi

friend told me you need work contract before can open bank account? am getting residentia and already have nie but confuddled! doesnt sound right does anyone know?

thanks u guys

Goldenmaniac
26-07-2011, 08:32
The rules have changed in many banks as these days you have to prove your fiscal residency as well as your residence for immigration purposes (green paper)

So if you are non fiscally resident most want a P60 and a utility bill in your name from the UK to prove where you are there and that you pay your taxes in the UK- they may also request a certificate of fiscal residence which you get from the UK tax authorities annually.

If you are staying here to work (or retire) then you need to prove fiscal residence in Spain.
That usually means either a work contract or your modelo 36 if you are self employed. If you are retired you process your P85 with the UK and then show this to the Hacienda here and fill out a modelo 30 (or the first year you do your Spanish tax return)

Check with the bank branch concerned to see what they want - there are differences.

eggletonjo
26-07-2011, 09:49
A friend of mine opened a residents bank account with Santander a couple of weeks ago with just his green NIE, certificate of empardiamiento and passport

Goldenmaniac
26-07-2011, 11:04
As I said check with the branch concerned - Santander in San Eugenio do request this info as do others including branches of Banca March for example - maybe your friend was known to the bank manager? The point is the OP should go to the bank where they want to open an account and find out what the requirements are there.

Lee_K_00
26-07-2011, 12:55
If you go to Bancaja in Las Americas, just round the corner from the Columbus hotel. A guy there called Sanjay speaks good english and can explain any questions to you...

doreen
26-07-2011, 14:47
Yes, the rules do seem to have changed ... I was surprised to be asked that I produce the work contracts for the two employees I was adding to my credit card as the bank needed financial information on them before issuing the cards (even though I would be paying any bill)

timmylish
26-07-2011, 14:56
Tighter and tighter as Spain has suddenly awoken to find the amounts of money slushing around for year after year and they didn,t get a slice of it. Hence, tighten up everywhere and more money will come into the coffers. Simples!

Andy0210
26-07-2011, 22:17
Go to the bank before you get your residencia and you can open a none residents bank account, the moment you have your residencia you have missed your chance, then you will need either your self employed papers or a contract to get an account.

mossy
26-07-2011, 22:56
Go to the bank before you get your residencia and you can open a none residents bank account, the moment you have your residencia you have missed your chance, then you will need either your self employed papers or a contract to get an account.

Do you have to pay a monthly fee for the privilege as a non resident?

Andy0210
26-07-2011, 23:14

Dunno, i am a resident so have a normal account, i just know of someone that wanted a bank account but were employed without a contract and the bank advised them (off record) this was the only way.

doreen
26-07-2011, 23:29

There's very little free banking in Spain ... charges for everything :(

hazwaz
27-07-2011, 07:08
Perfect thanks guys

bellamaria
27-07-2011, 07:52
i had fun and games trying to open an account without a work contract only one that would was la caixa

mossy
27-07-2011, 08:12
i had fun and games trying to open an account without a work contract only one that would was la caixa

Where's that Bellamaria por favor?I've got a feeling i'll be playing games too :jumping:

bellamaria
27-07-2011, 08:17
theres one in las america an a couple in los christianos by the bus depot