PDA

View Full Version : Good wine, reasonable wine or drinkable plonk in Tenerife

Brian
26-07-2011, 17:59
We have a friend coming to visit who likes a drop of wine, she is not an expert, just consumes a fair bit of it.

We are no great wine drinkers, we normally opt for the house red when we eat out, so I guess I am looking for some advise on what to stock up on.

To give you some idea the categories I would use are in the title, drinkable plonk up to €4 a bottle, reasonable wine up to €7 and good wine up to €10. Anything above €10 in my mind come under the category of Outrageous!!

Any suggestion needs to be readily available from either Mercadona or Hiperdino and can be either red, white, or rose, I don't think she has a preference, as long as its wet.

I know there must be one or two of you out there who likes a glass or two so I will say Cheers in advance of your replies:cheers:

AL JAY
26-07-2011, 18:08
A very popular white wine in Tenerife is San Valentin made by Torres,Its available now in UK supermarkets now at £6:99 a bottle but i would imagine it would be cheaper over in Tenerife, Maybe someone can give you an up to date price!

Sal
26-07-2011, 18:17
I have to confess that this year in Tenerife we bought a bottle of wine in Spar for 99 cents. We decided if it was horrible, we wouldn't be pouring a fortune down the sink!

However..................................it was quite palatable and we drank it all! :spin:
Has to be worth a try at that price!

LosRoques
26-07-2011, 18:21
Give yourself a day out, head to Cumbres de Abona (***************/oTOuFZ) and buy wine from there. They have drinkable plonk in boxes that is very cheap, as well as some really nice stuff at less than 5€ a bottle - try the Cumbres Tinto, Flor de Chasna Seco, and if they have it either Maceracion Carbinoca or Tres Meses Barrica.

TOTO 99
26-07-2011, 18:22
White: San Valentin

Red: El Cotto (according to my OH)

YOUNG GOLFER
26-07-2011, 18:23
A very popular white wine in Tenerife is San Valentin made by Torres,Its available now in UK supermarkets now at £6:99 a bottle but i would imagine it would be cheaper over in Tenerife, Maybe someone can give you an up to date price!

Think its around the 4€ mark over here mate.

junglejim
26-07-2011, 18:34
I like Marques de Caceres Red Rioja- about €7 for Crianza( great full-bodied wine) , €12 for Reserva ( very nice) or €25 for Gran Reserva ( hard to find and only for nice people!)

Available from Mercadona.

Stoney
26-07-2011, 18:46
Mercadona - Campo Viejo Yellow Label - 4.19, Marques De Caceras -6.49, El Coto 4.75 reds, San Valentin 3.95 for a white and for Rose go to Spanish Style and get a bottle of White Zinfandel about 4.50. All drinkable and reasonably priced but the more you pay the fuller bodied the wine and the nicer the taste, paying more for a good bottle every now and again is a treat. Would not recommend the ones 1-2 euros unless you are making a Sangria which is all you need.

marbro8
26-07-2011, 19:03
i usually never read the description on the bottle i look at the abv and if it's 13% or over it's in the trolley:eyebrows: but the nicest house wine i have tasted in tenerife was at the manhattan bar it was white with a hint of bannana, pop in and ask them what it is and they may sell you a few bottles or at least tell you where you can get it:spin:

christa
26-07-2011, 19:25
Dry white - Vina sol. costs about 7£ a bottle in UK, over here anywhere between 4.20 - 4.70 euro depending where you live!

Sangria - any red wine, veterano (cheap brandy) peach snaps, fanta orange, lemonade, fresh fruit, perfect for those lazy afternoons and summer evenings, and very cheap to make.

Bobby
26-07-2011, 19:38
I suppose that an extra good wine must be the one just sold for £75000.00 for one bottle!

warbey
26-07-2011, 19:55
Why not leave it to Herself..?
Get a small supply then ask Her to have a look with You.
Personally I like Vino del Mesa in UHT Milk type paskets priced around 75 cents for Red.
Pour it into an empty Bottle.........................
I knew a Spanish Woman who was horrified at Me Drinking Plonk. I'm not, I love it (as long as its red)

slodgedad
26-07-2011, 19:58
52 cent Lidl special tastes OK to me, especially when moderating...:argue::argue::crazy::idea::censored: :devil::devil::devil:

anegib
26-07-2011, 20:24
My Spanish neighbours all buy a wine named 'Hacienda' and is 95 centimos a bottle. One of them is a wine expert and has certificates and he says this is a very good wine and they all buy it by the case load.

Buttercup
26-07-2011, 20:24
We are not coming to Tenerife this year Christa but will deffo be trying your Sangria at home this weekend :spin: Thanks for the recipe x

anegib
26-07-2011, 20:25
Sorry forgot to say they get it from Mercadona

Jackie
26-07-2011, 20:28
Sorry forgot to say they get it from Mercadona

Have to say we have had this wine. We bought one bottle first as it was recommended to us, so just in case it was 'vinegar' we only bought the one. Now I buy 6 at a time :), the white is lovely and even though I love rose wine not a fan of this brand in rose. I buy a sparkling rose from Mercadona which is about 1.30 a bottle, can't remember the name of it as it doesn't last long enough in my house to read the label but I would recognise the bottle anywhere haha

CIM
26-07-2011, 20:30
We drink Flor de Chasna which is one of the "Abona" wines made in Tenerife and mentioned earlier in the thread. Only white wine really and we go for the "Afrutado" which has a yellow label (very sweet and about 6€) and the "Sensation" which has a greyish/silver label, is slightly less sweet and is about a Euro cheaper. We buy loads of the stuff for the house and have asked both of the bars we go to to start stocking it - which they have - great service!
There is also a Rose and a red. Very nice wine although I am certainly no connoisseur!

warbey
26-07-2011, 20:34
My Spanish neighbours all buy a wine named 'Hacienda' and is 95 centimos a bottle. One of them is a wine expert and has certificates and he says this is a very good wine and they all buy it by the case load.

Is it White Red or both.
You dont say.
Thanks

marbro8
26-07-2011, 20:35
We drink Flor de Chasna which is one of the "Abona" wines made in Tenerife and mentioned earlier in the thread. Only white wine really and we go for the "Afrutado" which had a yellow label (very sweet and about 6€) and the "Sensation" which has a greyish colour, slightly less sweet and is about a Euro cheaper. We buy loads of the stuff for the house and have asked both of the bars we go to to start stocking it which they have - great service!
There is also Rose and a red. Very nice wine although I am certainly no connoisseur!where can you buy those from mate? baring in mind we are going to be in las americas in october so walking distance in mind:eyebrows:

Jackie
26-07-2011, 20:37
Is it White Red or both.
You dont say.
Thanks

They do red, white and rose. As I said the white is nice but the rose is a bit iffy, not tried the red as I don't drink red anyway

AL JAY
26-07-2011, 20:41
Have to say we have had this wine. We bought one bottle first as it was recommended to us, so just in case it was 'vinegar' we only bought the one. Now I buy 6 at a time :), the white is lovely and even though I love rose wine not a fan of this brand in rose. I buy a sparkling rose from Mercadona which is about 1.30 a bottle, can't remember the name of it as it doesn't last long enough in my house to read the label but I would recognise the bottle anywhere haha

Hahaha that tickled me Jackie :crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughin g::drinking:

Suej
26-07-2011, 20:49

Just get the name Jackie and stop mucking about! I buy a Mercadona red which is about 1.60€ and I can΄t remember the name either! Do you think we have a problem?:crazy::crazy::crylaughing::drinking:

atlantico
26-07-2011, 20:51
i reckon that if you stick to Faustino, you won't go wrong, in any colour. Faustino VII is about €10-12 in restaurants (€5-6 in shops) then you get Reserva at €16 (Faustino V) and Gran Reserva (Faustino I ) at €22 (very dear in shops so forget it ) Try before you visit Tenerife, Faustino VII ( 7 ) in Asdas at moment at just £5 a bottle ! Bargain !!

I've always got a dozen bottles in stock - and NO you're NOT invited !

slodgedad
26-07-2011, 20:52
Just like me. I know where they are on the shelf and just grab.

God forbid they ever rearrange and put it near the milk...I'll never find it.

Brian
26-07-2011, 21:05
Thanks for all the replies so far, that selection should get her through a couple of days.

I like the sound of the Mercadona own brands, not that I am a skinflint.

I knew I could rely on the forum for some suggestions, perhaps I should have called the tread The Tenerife Forum Wine Buyers Guide.

ddoyle
26-07-2011, 21:11
Faustino is very nice, you could also try Reveron wines €6 a bottle from the Bodega near Villaflor lovely lovely wines.

Jackie
26-07-2011, 21:13
I am not a skinflint but I can't believe people pay up to 4 or 6 euros for a bottle of wine out here, that's 4 OR 6 bottles in Mercadona ;)

candy2411
26-07-2011, 21:15
In the Uk most of the wines I like are New World anything Australian, Chilean, even Argentinian, but even if you find these in Tenerife they tend to be more expensive than in Uk, so I tend to buy Spanish when in Tenerife.If you stick to wines from Rioja ( mainly red but also rose and white) you can't really go wrong.

The Valdepenas region wines as well are in all the supermarkets as well and great value, much cheaper than in the UK

caroll72
26-07-2011, 21:16
Vino Tito is a delicious rose wine you can buy from Mercadona for just 1.79 euros. It's fruity & crispy & has a nice kick. :hat:

Brian
26-07-2011, 21:17
I am not a skinflint but I can't believe people pay up to 4 or 6 euros for a bottle of wine out here, that's 4 OR 6 bottles in Mercadona ;)

Sorry , my comment was not aimed at you. I agree with you.

slodgedad
26-07-2011, 21:20
Thanks for all the replies so far, that selection should get her through a couple of days.

I like the sound of the Mercadona own brands, not that I am a skinflint.

I knew I could rely on the forum for some suggestions, perhaps I should have called the tread The Tenerife Forum Wine Buyers Guide.

If you'd have named it that you would have had even cheaper recommendations than my 52c special from some of the alcies on here..:drinking::drinking:

Jackie
26-07-2011, 21:20
Sorry , my comment was not aimed at you. I agree with you.

I didn't for one minute think it was Brian, my thoughts are why buy one bottle when you can buy 6 ;)

casabonny
26-07-2011, 21:24
I Love Flor de Chasna white afrutado and the Rose but its only availble normally at certain times of the year.Tagara is a nice fruity Canarian wine .If you go to Altesa they have a great Rose in a screw top bottle for 1.35 and the label says SGRN or something like.
Dont drink Red but hibby likes Sangre de torres and Vina Norte .

Margaretta
26-07-2011, 21:33
Sangre de Torres or Faustino for him; Flor de Chasna (white) for me. Both bought in Mercadona. Simples. :drinking:

Lately I can't drink too much wine (heartburn) and I really love peach Nestea!!! (Not fizzy, very refreshing, looks like wine!)

CIM
26-07-2011, 21:36
where can you buy those from mate? baring in mind we are going to be in las americas in october so walking distance in mind:eyebrows:
Just got to have a cruise around and see if anyone has them really. Some of the them are seasonal (the Rose I think is.) I buy some in the local shop in our village for 5.50€ and the Mercadona in Gran Sur sells it for 6.50€.

Sundowner
26-07-2011, 21:54
I think wines are like football teams.........
Man u.....over rated plonk
Liverpool............plonk
Chelsea.............over priced plonk
Everton ............Pure Quality
:)

marbro8
26-07-2011, 22:01
I think wines are like football teams.........
Man u.....over rated plonk
Liverpool............plonk
Chelsea.............over priced plonk
Everton ............Pure Quality
:):crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

Andrzej
26-07-2011, 23:37
We have in the past gone to Mercadonna and never paid for a bottle more than 2 euros.... red, rose or white and it was good.... I did once buy a carton for 99cents but that was more for cooking!... ~Mercadonna, Mercadonna!...sing it and you will be hooked!

WeeBoabfaeGovan
27-07-2011, 14:11
Hi folks i like a glas of red wine called blossom hill it comes in about a fiver a bottle here in Glasgow i dont know if you can get blossom hill in Tenerife and i certainly recommend it it is a soft fruity red :cheers:

Brian
27-07-2011, 14:31
I Love Flor de Chasna white afrutado and the Rose but its only availble normally at certain times of the year.Tagara is a nice fruity Canarian wine .If you go to Altesa they have a great Rose in a screw top bottle for 1.35 and the label says SGRN or something like.
Dont drink Red but hibby likes Sangre de torres and Vina Norte .

Is 'hibby' your hubby? have you been on the wine.
:crazy::crazy:

Thanks for the suggestions

casabonny
27-07-2011, 15:24
Is 'hibby' your hubby? have you been on the wine.
:crazy::crazy:

Thanks for the suggestions

ooops sorry it was getting a bit late for me to be typing! LOL

lord_cheeseman
27-07-2011, 15:24
Castillo de Liria is a red wine for ~1.5 euro from Valencia on the mainland, can get it at mercadona. It is much better than what I thought it would be.

anegib
28-07-2011, 10:15
Sorry it is red wine

d41pse
28-07-2011, 13:46
It's a bottle of San Val for me followed by a bottle of Vina Sol :wine::wine:

warbey
28-07-2011, 20:26
A few Years ago My Doctor recommended (no prescription) I drink a glass
of Red with My Evening Meal. I fully agree..
If I choose more is available.
When in Tenerife I get the Vino del Mesa which lasts about 5 or 6 Days.
so 3 are a little more than 2 Euros total.
I may get a better Wine for ann Occasion but usually the Plonk suits Me fine.
Its nice to see Others agree too.

sleepy
28-07-2011, 20:45

Bought a couple of bottles of Hacienda red yesterday from Mercadona at 79centimos each.Very drinkable indeed.Thanks :yum:

kieraj
28-07-2011, 22:47
I love vino sol its very drinkable, but the cheap cartons are just as good x

slodgedad
28-07-2011, 23:06
I was recommended to drink a glass of red wine a day by the doctor but however hard I tried (not very) he wouldn't tell me what size glass.

Them German steins are brill...

canarybird
29-07-2011, 10:32
I second the votes for Viρa Sol white, made by Torres. It's been a favourite for years.

Sangre de Toro (bull's blood) is also made by Torres and is a full bodied red. Costs around 4 Euros something.

One Rioja red I bought recently in Mercadona and like a lot is the Crianza of Comportillo which costs €2.58 per bottle. There's another similar label from the same company but I prefer the Crianza....check the bottom of the label.

I have also been quite happy with Castillo de Liria (red) from Mercadona. Cost is just under 2 Euros.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-wC4N2cR/1/M/P1090701-2-wine-M.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-BdjJg5P/1/M/P1090702-1-wine-M.jpg

Canarybird

loopyloo
29-07-2011, 10:42
white wine san val 3.80 hiportrebol
red wine/mayor castilla mercadonan 2.50
rose wine lambrusco emilia 1.71

i have been drinking wine a lot of years and me and my boyfreind keep trying different ones however keep going back to these hope u and ya freind enjoy!!!

max
29-07-2011, 18:05
If you wanted to go really cheap, then mercadona do a red wine called Fidencio that is under €1, the white isn't that great, but the red is better than most table wines you get at any restaurant

MaxineC
29-07-2011, 19:21
If you wanted to go really cheap, then mercadona do a red wine called Fidencio that is under €1, the white isn't that great, but the red is better than most table wines you get at any restaurant

Erm excuse me.... but who is this 'other' Max, I thought I had exclusivity ??? ;) :D

Hello and welcome... :hello:

Alivee
29-07-2011, 21:48
We bought some cheap white wine in Spar for 99 cents a bottle and it was just as good as the house wine in some of the Los Cris restaurants !!

:cheers2:

slodgedad
29-07-2011, 21:54
A bar I once worked in had half a palette of Lidl 52 cent wine in the dressing room that they were selling as house wine in a fancy carafe.

€5 for half a litre and €9 for a litre.

Not a bad profit margin.

Jackie
30-07-2011, 13:32
white wine san val 3.80 hiportrebol
red wine/mayor castilla mercadonan 2.50
rose wine lambrusco emilia 1.71

i have been drinking wine a lot of years and me and my boyfreind keep trying different ones however keep going back to these hope u and ya freind enjoy!!!

That's the sparkling rose wine I was talking about in my previous post.... I remember now I have seen the name haha. You should buy it in Mercadona even cheaper at 1.36 per bottle;)