PDA

View Full Version : What is this drink?

jules72
26-07-2011, 20:04
My mum was in Tenerife in February time and noticed a drink that was called something like barracuda and it was layered.Does anyone know what it is - and more to the point, is it an alcoholic drink! I will be in Tenerife very soon and have been told to look out for it!!!

tonypub
26-07-2011, 20:17
Barrachito,its a shot of coffee,condensed milk and normal bulls milk:lol:a very sweet drink some have it with a shot of.....i forget now but someone will know

Added after 3 minutes:

licour 43 is it?

Jackie
26-07-2011, 20:24
It's a 'Barraquito' ;) and contains Licor 43 or Tia Maria

Tojack
26-07-2011, 20:26
It is.................

candy2411
26-07-2011, 20:29
It's a 'Barraquito' ;) and contains Licor 43 or Tia Maria

and it's delicious!!

If you use brandy then I think it's a carajillo!!

Zara
26-07-2011, 20:32
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_npK-yFvRpFw/TN2fvyVmu8I/AAAAAAAAApM/I34j4Gj-D_k/s1600/barraquito.jpg

Delicious

AL JAY
26-07-2011, 20:33
Here is a pic of a nice Barraquito

http://www.flickr.com/photos/igor29768/5451719147/

Gah we posted within seconds Zara... Slightly different pic though

slodgedad
26-07-2011, 20:35
Condensed milk, booze, coffee and frothy milk with a choccy or nutmeg sprinkle.

Goforgold
26-07-2011, 20:41
Condensed milk, booze, coffee and frothy milk with a choccy or nutmeg sprinkle.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm so yummie !! :) :) :)

Zara
26-07-2011, 20:43
It should ideally have a small piece of peel Lime or possibly lemon and be topped with canella.

atlantico
26-07-2011, 20:44
even better without the milk and coffee . . . . . . . just liqor Cuarenta y Tres !!

slodgedad
26-07-2011, 20:46
even better without the milk and coffee . . . . . . . just liqor Cuarenta y Tres !!

Now we're talking,,,,,,,,,,

caroll72
26-07-2011, 20:51
Stop talking about Barraquitas ! :lol: (can't spell it lol!)

It's the best coffee liquor ever & i miss it soooooooo much.

Can't get it in uk. :cry:

slodgedad
26-07-2011, 20:54
Stop talking about Barraquitas ! :lol: (can't spell it lol!)

It's the best coffee liquor ever & i miss it soooooooo much.

Can't get it in uk. :cry:

Everybody say' AAhhhh:cry::cry:

Zara
26-07-2011, 20:56
You can buy Licor 43 in Asda - and of course the condensed milk too :idea:

atlantico
26-07-2011, 20:58
You can make it in UK though !

Warm up condensed milk for bottom layer (cold makes coffee too cold)
add a shot of liquer 43 (Tia maria or Brandy etc)
half fill with black coffee
top up with frothy coffee, cappuccino (pour over back of spoon)
place just frothy milk on top
Shake a sprinkle of cinnamon over top and add a small cut of lime rind

jobs a good 'un !

If you're in or passing Silencio, call into Patio del Coral on corner of Coral Mar, and you'll get a large glass with LOADS of licor 43 in it !

slodgedad
26-07-2011, 20:58
You can buy Licor 43 in Asda - and of course the condensed milk too :idea:

You can't get the same coffee and sunshine though...

caroll72
26-07-2011, 20:59
Wouldn't know how to make it Zara :ashamed:

You're forgetting ....................... i'm very blonde! :spin:

Margaretta
26-07-2011, 21:02
How does everyone drink their barraquito? Do you squeeze the lemon or lime, sip each layer or stir it all up ad knock it back???:lol:

candy2411
26-07-2011, 21:02
You can't get the same coffee and sunshine though...

got the sunshine at the moment....but you're right the coffee in the UK is just rubbish!

caroll72
26-07-2011, 21:05
Stir it all up , but sip it.

Goforgold
26-07-2011, 21:17
How does everyone drink their barraquito? Do you squeeze the lemon or lime, sip each layer or stir it all up ad knock it back???:lol:

Knock it straight back and get another one, or two or .................... :)

tonypub
26-07-2011, 21:19
its sickly sweet:spit:

Candi
26-07-2011, 21:19
May have to give it a try!!

Goforgold
26-07-2011, 21:22
May have to give it a try!!

You won't be disappointed ................................. well, as long as you enjoy sweets things :)

Jackie
26-07-2011, 21:23
Isn't it amazing that the two newest threads on here are about drinks. Suddenly all forum members have woken up haha ;)

slodgedad
26-07-2011, 21:25
its sickly sweet:spit:

Not if you have Johnny Walker in between

Malteser Monkey
26-07-2011, 21:27
It should ideally have a small piece of peel Lime or possibly lemon and be topped with canella.

absolutely Zara the finishing touches !

I wouldn't mind a Johnny Walker in between but don't tell OH:spin::D

WELSH CLASSIC
27-07-2011, 10:59
Johnny Walker great radio show 3' o clock Sunday afternoon all 70's music. KIKI'S does a good one.

Goforgold
27-07-2011, 11:03
Johnny Walker great radio show 3' o clock Sunday afternoon all 70's music. KIKI'S does a good one.

Is he still on? I remember him on Radio Caroline. :)

WELSH CLASSIC
27-07-2011, 11:11
Yep Radio 2 Sundays .Listening to Pick of the Pops (Tony Blackburn) on 1971 now on the internet.Saturday 1 o'clock another great show for nostalgics.

Malteser Monkey
27-07-2011, 11:21

come to think of it now we have a carajillo - if you take away the leches

cainaries
27-07-2011, 11:29
Yep Radio 2 Sundays .Listening to Pick of the Pops (Tony Blackburn) on 1971 now on the internet.Saturday 1 o'clock another great show for nostalgics.

Thanks for the tip. Amazing to think I might be nostalgic for Tony Blackburn - I couldn't stand him at the time!

And I can't believe this is page 4 of a barraquito thread and I hadn't noticed it. I leave out the condensed milk and add an extra shot of 43 - then it isn't sickly sweet but is delicious and with more oomph. In restaurants as I start to say 'sin....' the waitperson (!) always jumps in ahead of me and says '...alcohol' and I scream 'noooo..... SIN leche condensada y CON mucho 43'. Didn't know about the brandy version, am going to have to try that extremely soon.

Goforgold
27-07-2011, 11:44

Woof, woof!!! ;);

Thanks for the tip. Amazing to think I might be nostalgic for Tony Blackburn - I couldn't stand him at the time!

And I can't believe this is page 4 of a barraquito thread and I hadn't noticed it. I leave out the condensed milk and add an extra shot of 43 - then it isn't sickly sweet but is delicious and with more oomph. In restaurants as I start to say 'sin....' the waitperson (!) always jumps in ahead of me and says '...alcohol' and I scream 'noooo..... SIN leche condensada y CON mucho 43'. Didn't know about the brandy version, am going to have to try that extremely soon.

Sacre bleu woman!!!! Sin leche condensada???????????????????????????????? that's the best bit!!!! :) :)

Malteser Monkey
27-07-2011, 12:15
Didn't know about the brandy version, am going to have to try that extremely soon.

Johnny Walker is whiskey but never mind C also it's black coffee no leche at all, give a real kick in the cojones (am I allowed to say that it's a very loosely used term over there)

Sacre bleu woman!!!! Sin leche condensada???????????????????????????????? that's the best bit!!!! :) :)

Yeap ! all in the right quantities - OH just brought another bottle of 43 home from golf tour. I get leche condensada in squeezy tubes now Nestle of course!

off to sunbathe

canarybird
27-07-2011, 13:12
A carajillo is a small black espresso (cafe solo) laced with brandy or rum.

The barraquito as I know it has always been a small cafe cortado leche leche with the addition of licor 43 or Tia Maria, a tiny sliver of lemon peel and a dash of cinnamon, served as an after dinner coffee.
http://canarybird.smugmug.com/photos/642544092_tobQ3-M.jpg

It's also called a zaperoco, which I had once served in a tall glass:

http://www.pbase.com/canarybird/image/56210878.jpg

Here's a simple cortado leche leche - the milk layer on the bottom is sweetened condensed milk and the top is normal milk slightly frothed:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2230/968616/6177584/99151803.jpg

junglejim
27-07-2011, 13:34
Johnny Walker is whiskey but never mind C also it's black coffee no leche at all, give a real kick in the cojones (am I allowed to say that it's a very loosely used term over there)

Yeap ! all in the right quantities - OH just brought another bottle of 43 home from golf tour. I get leche condensada in squeezy tubes now Nestle of course!

off to sunbathe

Naughty Naughty MM - Johnny Walkers is Whisky- whiskey is the Irish copy of usquebaugh !

Malteser Monkey
27-07-2011, 14:42
Naughty Naughty MM - Johnny Walkers is Whisky- whiskey is the Irish copy of usquebaugh !

Sorry Jim I always call Whisky - Scotch and Whiskey Bushmills or Jamesons (used to be my tipple till I had 4 too many)

Thanks for the lesson - you learn summit new everyday !

Anyway Cainaries thought J Walker was brandy:D:doh:

I'm in now It's a piggin 40 deg C on my balcony !!! 7 months ago it was minus 10

cainaries
27-07-2011, 14:44

off to sunbathe

Scuse me, Senora Monkey! Post number 5 mentions a carajillo and says it is with brandy (confirmed now by Canarybird). The idea of wasting Johnny Walker in coffee or, indeed, in anything else ... my late father is spinning in his grave at the very thought of it.

As for Senora GFG saying the leche condensada is the best bit! Nope ... the 43 is the best bit as far as I'm concerned.

Malteser Monkey
27-07-2011, 14:47
Scuse me, Senora Monkey! Post number 5 mentions a carajillo and says it is with brandy (confirmed now by Canarybird). The idea of wasting Johnny Walker in coffee or, indeed, in anything else ... my late father is spinning in his grave at the very thought of it.

As for Senora GFG saying the leche condensada is the best bit! Nope ... the 43 is the best bit as far as I'm concerned.

You's excused alright - you been on them carajillos already ? never had one don't like black coffee nor rum nor brandy apart from in a hot toddy when not well

Those pics of CB's are fantastic - the quality and the clarity are quite amazing !

off out back later

cainaries
27-07-2011, 14:52
You's excused alright - you been on them carajillos already ? never had one don't like black coffee nor rum nor brandy apart from in a hot toddy when not well

Those pics of CB's are fantastic - the quality and the clarity are quite amazing !

off out back later

Indeed they are amazing photos, almost got me licking my computer screen (but not quite ...). Only been on ordinary coffee so far today but have to go out a bit later and might just stop at our favourite bar for a barraquito. I'm not keen on black coffee either. I thought (this thread is quite confusing) that, in addition to the barraquito with 43, you could get a brandy version of the same (which I would like) and even a JW version of the same (which I would like as well except I will be able to hear my father's voice in my head saying he would never buy me another whisky if I adulterated it with anything other than a small splash of soda).

Goforgold
27-07-2011, 18:29

Thanks for clearing up a point that was troubling me Cainaries - I just couldn't imagine you for a moment getting Brandy mixed up with your Johnny Walkers ??? Never!!! :) :)

Added after 4 minutes:

A carajillo is a small black espresso (cafe solo) laced with brandy or rum.

The barraquito as I know it has always been a small cafe cortado leche leche with the addition of licor 43 or Tia Maria, a tiny sliver of lemon peel and a dash of cinnamon, served as an after dinner coffee.
http://canarybird.smugmug.com/photos/642544092_tobQ3-M.jpg

It's also called a zaperoco, which I had once served in a tall glass:

http://www.pbase.com/canarybird/image/56210878.jpg

Here's a simple cortado leche leche - the milk layer on the bottom is sweetened condensed milk and the top is normal milk slightly frothed:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2230/968616/6177584/99151803.jpg

I think this is rather unfair to tempt people who aren't in a position to get their hands on one of these at present!! :) As someone mentioned they are so lifelike and I can imagine the delicious taste just looking at them.

It's the same as your lovely blackbird photos - you feel you could just reach out and stroke the feathers. :)

cainaries
27-07-2011, 19:27
GFG I promise you I wouldn't confuse my scotch and my brandy (note the personal pronouns!). Don't drink either much any more but very considerable quantities of scotch have gone down my throat in years gone by. Quietened down to wine nowadays ... mainly;)

Malteser Monkey
28-07-2011, 13:32
GFG I promise you I wouldn't confuse my scotch and my brandy (note the personal pronouns!). Don't drink either much any more but very considerable quantities of scotch have gone down my throat in years gone by. Quietened down to wine nowadays ... mainly;)

So we thank ourselves lucky that we have only recently met :whistle::laugh:

I'm the same as you hun:drunk::cheers2:

jules72
30-07-2011, 20:03
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I will definitely be looking out for this next week. 6 more days to go yipeee!

d41pse
03-08-2011, 04:37
Try Costa Rica a cafe in the Valdez Centre Los Cris they do a mean Barraquito also the Iced Coffee is excellent 921

tracey_in_tenerife
03-08-2011, 13:15
I think this is rather unfair to tempt people who aren't in a position to get their hands on one of these at present!! :) As someone mentioned they are so lifelike and I can imagine the delicious taste just looking at them.

if youre in the uk , get yourself off to asda, you can buy liquer 43 there and the condensed milk, i have a coffee machine , so it'll taste just like it does in Tenerife hopefully, right two shakes off to Asda :fpull:

delgirl
03-08-2011, 22:04
that is a work of art looks too good to drink mmmmmmmm:laugh:

cainaries
03-08-2011, 23:50
that is a work of art looks too good to drink mmmmmmmm:laugh:

Quite cruel of you to bump this thread! Even though I am in the right place, I only have coffee beans ... and we have visiting children who are now all tucked up in their beds (awwwh) so I can't grind the beans to make the barraquito. Zut alors (wonder how you say that in Spanish!).

tracey_in_tenerife
05-08-2011, 20:14
:cry: went to asda today, No liquer 43, so had to make do with tia maria, BUT what they did have was condensed milk in a squirty bottle with a lace of vanilla, just yummy with my barraquito , maybe you cant get it in the UK, Can always bring a bottle back and some decent coffe beans :wink2:

cainaries
05-08-2011, 21:25
:cry: went to asda today, No liquer 43, so had to make do with tia maria, BUT what they did have was condensed milk in a squirty bottle with a lace of vanilla, just yummy with my barraquito , maybe you cant get it in the UK, Can always bring a bottle back and some decent coffe beans :wink2:
Sounds delicious. We always used to take coffee beans back to the UK when we were just holidaying here. Used to bring tomato puree out (no doubt you can get this in Tenerife but not here) and replace the space in the suitcase with coffee beans.