PDA

View Full Version : New Ford car purchase - never!

Jimandsi
26-07-2011, 21:20
Not long after making the ashtray in a car a chargeable extra, Ford are now going to do away with the CD player .....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/8660870/Ford-to-scrap-CD-players-in-cars.html

I'll stick with my Lexus, I think.

slodgedad
26-07-2011, 21:23

I'll stick with my 8 track

Ecky Thump
26-07-2011, 21:33
Not long after making the ashtray in a car a chargeable extra, Ford are now going to do away with the CD player .....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/8660870/Ford-to-scrap-CD-players-in-cars.html

Like it or loath it, its called progress.

A Lexus is a Toyota in disguise.:p

Jimandsi
26-07-2011, 21:39

But what about the wrinklies and crinklies who don't have access to the internet - what will they listen to in their new Ford cars ? ???

slodgedad
26-07-2011, 21:41
But what about the wrinklies and crinklies who don't have access to the internet - what will they listen to in their new Ford cars ? ???

Refer you Post 2.:ashamed:

Harmonicaman
26-07-2011, 21:42
Yeah! I don't know how to work them ipod thingys or mp3/4 players! Ah well, I'll just get Tizzy to sing to me...

CIM
26-07-2011, 21:42
Agree 100%!!! I have a CD/DVD on my PC, on my laptop and in my car and I have used none of them in the past two years.
I have also done away with our DVD player. USB is pretty much standard these days as is direct to drive for software, movies and music on PC´s and laptops.
Load up 16GB of music on a stick, plug it in to your car and you have 4,000 tracks or around 220 hours worth of music. Who needs CD´s or CD players in this day and age?!!
Same with our LCD TV - movies on a stick, plugged into the USB, no faffing with DVD´s anymore....

Vortex Wake
26-07-2011, 21:54

LS 400s are grandads cars.

;)

Ecky Thump
26-07-2011, 21:58
LS 400s are grandads cars.

;)

Do you mean that its a car designed for Wrinklies and Crinklies!!:eyebrows:

atlantico
26-07-2011, 22:16
there's still the radio for the old 'uns. BBC 2 is still being aired ain't it ?

I agree, haven't used a CD for several years. We don't own a video or tape player, record player, CD or even DVD/Blue Ray player - just a USB memory stick and a multimedia player for films on TV

KirstyJay
26-07-2011, 23:12
Load up 16GB of music on a stick16GB?! Get with the times... we're using 32 &64GB Sticks in my house ;)

CIM
26-07-2011, 23:16
I had a look the other day for an upgrade but 32GB was the biggest I could find here. May have to get a 64GB (or 128GB!) next time I´m in the UK :)

Tom
26-07-2011, 23:47
16GB?! Get with the times... we're using 32 &64GB Sticks in my house ;)

pifff - we stream via a wireless network access point in ours!

doreen
26-07-2011, 23:53
16GB?! Get with the times... we're using 32 &64GB Sticks in my house ;)

Bah humbug ... don't get all these stick things ... CD in my car unchanged for 6 months :ashamed:

Andy0210
26-07-2011, 23:58
Whats a CD? Never bought or downloaded one in my life! (TRUTH)

In fact just bought a new car radio for 29€ from Visanta and it doesn´t have a CD just a wireless and that will do for me, has some weird looking connection point for something called an MP something or other or a USB which i guess is an anagram of BUS to keep you guessing what mode of transport you should use when you break down.

And as for no ashtray, thats disgusting, think people should boycott FORD, how can you have a car with no money box ??? :rolleyes:

with cheese
27-07-2011, 00:07
I have just ordered a new C-MAX Titanium plus from Ford and that has a top notch Sony with all mp3 plug ins etc, fab. I have a Merc at present which is fab much easier to just change a cd for choice as driving.

Andy0210
27-07-2011, 00:22
I have just ordered a new C-MAX Titanium plus from Ford

How long have they been selling Squash Rackets? They must be really struggling :lol:

with cheese
27-07-2011, 21:01
How long have they been selling Squash Rackets? They must be really struggling :lol:

Obviously Driving a van you don't notice other cars on the road anyway.

Muppet
29-07-2011, 11:11
mmm bit of a mistake by Ford I think - I thought they relied on people trading in old cars when the ashtray was full?

timmylish
29-07-2011, 19:16
mmm bit of a mistake by Ford I think - I thought they relied on people trading in old cars when the ashtray was full?

Do you honestly think that your decision to buy a new Ford would be made on a CD player being in the car, or not? Unless, of course, you think like Jimandsi. You see, most people like me decide on how the car drives, availability of spares, warranties, likely residual values, % Free deals and of course, colour.

Jimandsi
29-07-2011, 21:01
Wrong again Tinnylish.

The three most common criteria when buying a new car are 1) purchase price 2) running costs and 3) reliability.

Goforgold
29-07-2011, 21:26
Wrong again Tinnylish.

The three most common criteria when buying a new car are 1) purchase price 2) running costs and 3) reliability.

Don't take any notice, Timmylish - I was wrong once!! (;)

timmylish
29-07-2011, 22:57
Wrong again Tinnylish.

You see, most people like me decide on how the car drives, availability of spares, warranties, likely residual values, % Free deals and of course, colour.

Jinamdsi. I said "most people like me" not the most common criteria , wherever you dug that up. In any event, I have included those criteria in my opinion, anyway!
If you feel it necessary to have a "pop" at me, at least try to get things correct.

Ecky Thump
30-07-2011, 10:03
You see, most people like me decide on how the car drives, availability of spares, warranties, likely residual values, % Free deals and of course, colour.

Jinamdsi. I said "most people like me" not the most common criteria , wherever you dug that up. In any event, I have included those criteria in my opinion, anyway!
If you feel it necessary to have a "pop" at me, at least try to get things correct.

Just to settle the disagreement, I have just spoken to the sales director of Arnold Clark's (Britains largest car dealership) and Timmy and Jim you are both a bit off track, in order of priority the three biggest factors in the average mans requirements are.. 1/ Style.... 2/ Performance..... 3/Gadgets. Whereas womens number one choice is Colour followed by the size of the boot.

Goforgold
30-07-2011, 10:38
Just to settle the disagreement, I have just spoken to the sales director of Arnold Clark's (Britains largest car dealership) and Timmy and Jim you are both a bit of track, in order of priority the three biggest factors in the average mans requirements are.. 1/ Style.... 2/ Performance..... 3/Gadgets. Whereas womens number one choice is Colour followed by the size of the boot.

I have to disagree with Arnold Cark!!!

My OH's choice, if it was a brand new car would be: Reliability, Price, MPG, but definitely Colour!!!

Lately our cars are second hand as, in our opinion, unless you have lots of money, a brand new car is a waste. We have bought some really good reliable second hand cars but there are certain colours OH just would not entertain - so it's not just women who are supposed to go by colour, that is a total fallacy!!!

Impossible to generalise :)

karinagal
30-07-2011, 11:16
Word of warning when dealing with the rip off merchant aka Arnold Clark.... We looked at a 2nd hand (12 months old) Citroën and they quoted us a price then added £400 to it for metallic paint! Couldn't answer when asked if we could have it without .... after all, it had been on the car for 12 months - how could it be an added extra!!!!! :p

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Vortex Wake
30-07-2011, 12:14
Word of warning when dealing with the rip off merchant aka Arnold Clark.... We looked at a 2nd hand (12 months old) Citroën and they quoted us a price then added £400 to it for metallic paint! Couldn't answer when asked if we could have it without .... after all, it had been on the car for 12 months - how could it be an added extra!!!!! :p

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

or they add an admin fee to the windscreen price :(

Ecky Thump
30-07-2011, 12:17
I have to disagree with Arnold Cark!!!
My OH's choice, if it was a brand new car would be: Reliability, Price, MPG, but definitely Colour!!!

Lately our cars are second hand as, in our opinion, unless you have lots of money, a brand new car is a waste. We have bought some really good reliable second hand cars but there are certain colours OH just would not entertain - so it's not just women who are supposed to go by colour, that is a total fallacy!!!

Impossible to generalise :)

Agree or disagree with Arnold Clark or the companies policies, but what cant be argued about is that he is possibly one of Britain's most successful businessmen who knows his car market and what sells cars.

Goforgold
30-07-2011, 13:04
Agree or disagree with Arnold Clark or the companies policies, but what cant be argued about is that he is possibly one of Britain's most successful businessmen who knows his car market and what sells cars.

I've never heard of him :(

Anyway I wasn't arguing - just saying what we take into account when we buy and disputing the belief that it's only women who are interested in colour!! :)

I thought it was a bit of fun :(

with cheese
30-07-2011, 13:18
As it appears I am the only one to mention having bought a new car recently, although I don't take delivery until 14th Sept, I feel I can settle this.
everyone has price as the first priority no matter how loaded you are. I said to the Mrs I want something in the 18 to 24 grand bracket. If you are mega rich you will probably be looking at 60 grand plus so you still have a price. This then brings in style, because you will look at what you feel looks nice and won't date, then MPG. Then when you get to the Motor you start to look at other criteria. Mine was how comfortable it was for long drives and features such as Bluetooth, so Jand S was mostly right.

Ecky Thump
30-07-2011, 17:50
I've never heard of him :(

Anyway I wasn't arguing - just saying what we take into account when we buy and disputing the belief that it's only women who are interested in colour!! :)

I thought it was a bit of fun :(

ME!, I would never argue with a member of the fairer sex, as I know my place in life, also I always lose any arguments with my wife.......right or wrong!:laugh:

Goforgold
30-07-2011, 17:59
ME!, I would never argue with a member of the fairer sex, as I know my place in life, also I always lose any arguments with my wife.......right or wrong!:laugh:

I never win any with my OH - well none that he would admit to!! :)

doreen
30-07-2011, 18:37

... and the colour of your car is .... :lol:

Ecky Thump
30-07-2011, 22:32
... and the colour of your car is .... :lol:

Its silver, but the colour of a car is the one thing that doesn't bother me, as I am colour blind.
I once bought the car of my dreams...a brand new BLACK Renault 18 and when I showed it to Carol for the first time, she asked, "Where is the BLACK car?", it was PLUMB coloured!!:crylaughing::crylaughing:

timmylish
30-07-2011, 23:04
As it appears I am the only one to mention having bought a new car recently, although I don't take delivery until 14th Sept, I feel I can settle this.
everyone has price as the first priority no matter how loaded you are. I said to the Mrs I want something in the 18 to 24 grand bracket. If you are mega rich you will probably be looking at 60 grand plus so you still have a price. This then brings in style, because you will look at what you feel looks nice and won't date, then MPG. Then when you get to the Motor you start to look at other criteria. Mine was how comfortable it was for long drives and features such as Bluetooth, so Jand S was mostly right.

Sorry to disagree (now there,s a surprise!). We have just recently bought a new Ford (!) so I think that I AM in a position to make comment. When I say how the car drives, for example, that refers to whether the engine has the guts for the said car. Negotiating, not given, a five year warranty deal with zero per cent finance (using someone else,s money), being able to get it repaired quickly (spare parts and no delays in having repairs carried out if in a prang and I dop honestly believe that when you have had as many cars as I have had you do consider what it,ll be worth after 2, 3 or 5 years and if the car is alooker, thereby its colour.
As for Arnold, my old mate from Glasgow, particularly his interests in London Road and the East End generally (keeping his office in Gt. Western Road unless he has moved in the last couple of years). Well, since I truly believe in the laws of slander on the net, I shall refrain from making comment on his business ethics but nearly every one of his managers were very well known acquaintances of mine. I think of them when people on here castigate the people who work in T/s. We truly are angels!
This has now become very "off topic" methinks and to the O/p again. Having no CD player in any new car of mine would most certainly not influence which car to purchase.:bootyshake:

Jimandsi
31-07-2011, 20:53
I've been racking my brains trying to remember which Ford car it was that a well known TV presenter said "He would happily drive over a cliff".

I'm pretty sure it must have been one of those annoying little Fiesta/Fusion/Focus thingys. :crylaughing: