PDA

View Full Version : Dog dies after balcony fall in Tenerife

caroletenerife
26-07-2011, 23:19
Very sad news, a little poodle fell from a 3rd floor balcony at Orlando this evening. It was very distressing for everyone who witnessed it. This post is just to remind everyone who leaves their pet on the balcony when they are out to try and remember to make it as safe as possible. For example don't leave tables and chairs near the edge, or anything at all it can climb on. Close any windows that it can reach etc. x Sad dayx

MaxineC
26-07-2011, 23:56
Thank god I wasn't working near there today, I would have been distraught if I'd seen that.... the poor, poor dog :(

caroletenerife
27-07-2011, 00:08
One of Live Arico volunteers Gill was there, she was a nurse and tried to comfort it, but its little body was all broken, if there was a saving grace Maxine it was that it passed quickly and didn't suffer long. x

SuzyQ
27-07-2011, 00:33
I saw it on facebook, what a horrific thing to witness. :(

Pets@Home
27-07-2011, 00:41
I am sure the owner is beyond grief and full of guilt. She was not to blame, maybe an oversight on her part thinking dogs dont jump that high ...... lets give a thought to her too as well as the little mite .......

caroletenerife
27-07-2011, 01:07
They had been out all day, and by 11pm had not come home, all the neighbours could do was put the dog on the chair next to their door, a Spanish neighbour said they would try and stop them on the stairs and explain what had happened before they saw the dog

starling
27-07-2011, 05:31
Thank god I wasn't working near there today, I would have been distraught if I'd seen that.... the poor, poor dog :(
Distraught !!!! I would have gone and tipped the irresponsible owners over the balcony. How can they go out all day and leave the dog in summer temperatures ? - In any temperature for that matter!
Don't they know poodles have WOOL coats? It must have been baking.
I hope the owners have concience problems for the rest of their days...... And beyond.

MummyJ
27-07-2011, 08:12
thats awfully sad :(

Goforgold
27-07-2011, 08:26
I am sure the owner is beyond grief and full of guilt. She was not to blame, maybe an oversight on her part thinking dogs dont jump that high ...... lets give a thought to her too as well as the little mite .......

I disagree - they are to blame. If you have a pet be it a goldfish, parrot, dog, cat, horse - it is the owner's responsibility to look after it's welfare. No excuses!!

Jackie
27-07-2011, 09:13
Out all day and still not home by 11PM, they really cared about their dog left on the balcony all day didn't they. Let's hope they don't have children :(

caroletenerife
27-07-2011, 09:32
In fairness to the owner, i think the dog had access to both inside the house and the balcony. As with many people here they work long hours and unfortunately the pets do get left for long periods. My intention was to remind people of the dangers, as its easy when rushing out to work to forget to check for the things that could go wrong. A local policeman who lives there was on scene and also very upset so mabey he might remind the residents there of their responsibilities to their pets.

tenerifegal
27-07-2011, 10:00
disgraceful leaving a dog for that length of time they should be prosecuted

Goforgold
27-07-2011, 10:24
In fairness to the owner, i think the dog had access to both inside the house and the balcony. As with many people here they work long hours and unfortunately the pets do get left for long periods. My intention was to remind people of the dangers, as its easy when rushing out to work to forget to check for the things that could go wrong. A local policeman who lives there was on scene and also very upset so mabey he might remind the residents there of their responsibilities to their pets.

If people work long hours, then you don't have a dog, as simple as that, in my opinion. If you do want a dog, then you pay for someone to let it out and walk it, plenty of people looking for work in Tenerife.

candy2411
27-07-2011, 10:43
I'm sure the owners are truly devastated, but surely give them some compassion as they'll be suffering enough

Goforgold
27-07-2011, 10:45
I'm sure the owners are truly devastated, but surely give them some compassion as they'll be suffering enough

Sorry can't.

Tarw
27-07-2011, 14:59
A rottie jumped from the second floor when i was there a month ago and it was the talk of the place they should have learned their lesson from that, the rottie was fine though. Totaly agree with Goforgold dogs need to be walked not left alone for long hours.

MaxineC
27-07-2011, 16:16
To be fair, the dog could well have had walks during the day, you're all assuming it didn't... something may just have caught it's attention, ie cat.... :(

Pets@Home
27-07-2011, 16:32
I disagree - they are to blame. If you have a pet be it a goldfish, parrot, dog, cat, horse - it is the owner's responsibility to look after it's welfare. No excuses!!

When I made that post I did not realise how long they had left that dog, thought just a few hours. No they are to blame, if I go out and leave my lot, I make sure that I am only gone a few hours, but def not left on an outside balcony, not for that long ......

Goforgold
27-07-2011, 17:51
To be fair, the dog could well have had walks during the day, you're all assuming it didn't... something may just have caught it's attention, ie cat.... :(

When you take on any animal, you have to make it your responsibility to ensure that it is completely safe in your home. That's why rescue centres do home checks, for that very purpose, but surely we don't need someone to tell us what is safe and what isn't. Would you be saying the same thing if it was a child that had fallen over the balcony? I can't see the difference as far as the safety aspect is concerned.

Sorry Max, no truck with you - only the owners. I feel very strongly about people who have children / animals and then don't look after them as they should. As far as children go, this is a very sore point with me at the moment. :(

MaxineC
27-07-2011, 18:17
When you take on any animal, you have to make it your responsibility to ensure that it is completely safe in your home. That's why rescue centres do home checks, for that very purpose, but surely we don't need someone to tell us what is safe and what isn't. Would you be saying the same thing if it was a child that had fallen over the balcony? I can't see the difference as far as the safety aspect is concerned.

Sorry Max, no truck with you - only the owners. I feel very strongly about people who have children / animals and then don't look after them as they should. As far as children go, this is a very sore point with me at the moment. :(

I agree with everything you say. I am a dog owner, and their care/welfare is paramount to me. We're lucky, our office is at home, so they are rarely left on their own for long periods. If we are, they stay outside, but we have a big garden, which is very safe, and there are cool spots for them to go to when the weather is hot. If we go out at night they stay in the house, with access to the garage if they need to relieve themselves (thought the cocker does prefer to use the plants! ;)).

However, in recent times, many peoples circumstances have changed, often through no fault of their own. It may be that in the past they weren't both out at work, or for such long hours.

In no way am I condoning what they have done, and they have paid a very high price for their foolishness. However, without all the facts, I don't think we should be too quick to be pointing the finger. There could have been an emergency, anything, that kept them away for so long...

Should it turn out it was neglected, and it was the norm to leave the poor thing so long on a regular basis, I'll be first in the queue with the lynch! ;)

Goforgold
27-07-2011, 18:20
I agree with everything you say. I am a dog owner, and their care/welfare is paramount to me. We're lucky, our office is at home, so they are rarely left on their own for long periods. If we are, they stay outside, but we have a big garden, which is very safe, and there are cool spots for them to go to when the weather is hot. If we go out at night they stay in the house, with access to the garage if they need to relieve themselves (thought the cocker does prefer to use the plants! ;)).

However, in recent times, many peoples circumstances have changed, often through no fault of their own. It may be that in the past they weren't both out at work, or for such long hours.

In no way am I condoning what they have done, and they have paid a very high price for their foolishness. However, without all the facts, I don't think we should be too quick to be pointing the finger. There could have been an emergency, anything, that kept them away for so long...

Should it turn out it was neglected, and it was the norm to leave the poor thing so long on a regular basis, I'll be first in the queue with the lynch! ;)

Ok Maxine................................... :)

starling
27-07-2011, 21:01
Sorry can't.

Me neither :mad:

astara
27-07-2011, 22:25
what a dreadful occurance !! & poor Gill who cuddled the wee mite !! - many many folks leave their dogs on balconies or terraces whilst they are out at work- it appears to be the norm over here - I do so wish the canarian govt would do what the scandinavians do which is - if your dog is left without a walk for 6 hours - you can & will be prosectued.. However i am not niaeve enough to expect it to happen - money, apathy general lack of feeling for our animal kingdom will see to that !! my own dog is left at home for hours, but walked well before i leave, access to open terrace, & the sofa, water & food & shade, & in a safe environment. That is my responsibility she is not a young dog & at 14 is quite happy with that & another walk in the evening. However if i had a younger dog i would have to think again ... maybe the owners were working nights ?? & had been around during the day - do we know !!!! In any case it is a warning to secure your terraces, & fencing little dogs can jump almighty heights.... how sad !!!

sleepy
27-07-2011, 23:20
what a dreadful occurance !! & poor Gill who cuddled the wee mite !! - many many folks leave their dogs on balconies or terraces whilst they are out at work- it appears to be the norm over here - I do so wish the canarian govt would do what the scandinavians do which is - if your dog is left without a walk for 6 hours - you can & will be prosectued.. However i am not niaeve enough to expect it to happen - money, apathy general lack of feeling for our animal kingdom will see to that !! my own dog is left at home for hours, but walked well before i leave, access to open terrace, & the sofa, water & food & shade, & in a safe environment. That is my responsibility she is not a young dog & at 14 is quite happy with that & another walk in the evening. However if i had a younger dog i would have to think again ... maybe the owners were working nights ?? & had been around during the day - do we know !!!! In any case it is a warning to secure your terraces, & fencing little dogs can jump almighty heights.... how sad !!!

You are so right there!It will never happen because the Canarian Government don't give a stuff about animal welfare!!Never have and never will.

slodgedad
27-07-2011, 23:27
Appears that way. Can you remember what it was like here in Tenerife before Arico, K9 etc?

The local government has never given a toss.

(Personal opinion. Nothing to do with my mod status)

MaxineC
28-07-2011, 00:02
Appears that way. Can you remember what it was like here in Tenerife before Arico, K9 etc?

The local government has never given a toss.

(Personal opinion. Nothing to do with my mod status)

Yes, I remember those days.... packs of dogs roaming the streets, beaches full of dog crap, couldn't sit at an outdoor restaurant without them scavenging at the table.... heartbreaking sight :(

Steve Martin
28-07-2011, 07:01
Its good that you are sharing with us this news.usually people do not take care about this so its nice to give a reminder to all who live in balcony flat/home or leave their pets on balcony.

mboro1234
28-07-2011, 12:46
shame for the dog, there are far too many owners who leave their dogs out on the balconies go to work and leave them for the full day, these accidents are bound to happen

carpenter
29-07-2011, 15:31
Very sad story.
It's not just balconies that owners must be careful of. Many dogs have died over the years by drowning in swimming pools when the weather is too hot. During extreme heat these dogs have jumped in to the pools in a desperate attempt to cool off and unfortunately unable to get themselves back out.

Other dogs have jumped walls, slipped through gates and other similar ways of escape only to get themselves lost, stolen or hit by cars.

I have secured many gardens and terraces over the years for responsible owners and horror stories like these are made worse by the fact that they could have been prevented.

Despite living high up in the mountains in a quiet village and having a high walled, high gated secure garden/terrace we never leave our dogs outside when not at home, it's just that we are happy in the knowledge that they are all safe and cosy and not annoying the neighbors when we are not there.

Balconies, pools, gates and walls can all be made safe easily. Make sure there is adequate shade. Plenty of drinking water. Don't leave them on their own for more than 4 hours.

Don't assume that they'll be OK. Make sure they are!

viv
29-07-2011, 15:39
Poor dog, so sad, :0/