PDA

View Full Version : Athletics Olympics one year away...............No thanks !!!

Ed3229
27-07-2011, 07:07
Not interested in the Olympics..........

Jackie
27-07-2011, 07:59
I absolutely love the Olympics. I represented my County in many athletic competitions in the UK and Europe in my younger days but I gave it all up for the love of my life ( what a stupid cow). I would have given anything to have got a ticket for the Olympics but like so many other people we failed to get any tickets. It's right on the doorstep of my old stomping ground back in the UK as well, so would have had plenty of choice of accommodation. I went to the Munich Olympics when younger thanks to family friends whom I was travelling through Europe with at the time, and those memories will live with me forever, I can't explain the feeling of being so very passionate about something and being able to watch first hand the Worlds best performing. I like most sports, yes even football ;) but the Olympics/athletics for me are a personal favourite.

Goforgold
27-07-2011, 08:07
Unfortunately I've never been interested in watching Sport, preferring to take part. I wish I was interested, with so much broadcast on television it would be a nice relaxing way to pass several hours.

As the Company I work for are one of the main Sponsors and are involved in the IT communications on site, I'm hoping we will get to have a site visit nearer completion, that would interest me more.

Jackie
27-07-2011, 09:17
Unfortunately I've never been interested in watching Sport, preferring to take part. I wish I was interested, with so much broadcast on television it would be a nice relaxing way to pass several hours.

As the Company I work for are one of the main Sponsors and are involved the IT communications on site, I'm hoping we will get to have a site visit nearer completion, that would interest me more.

...and if your Company get any tickets as one of the main Sponsors that you don't want you know where I am ;)

MrsTT
27-07-2011, 10:26
I have posted this link for kids in the education section but will put it here (http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-for-2012) as well.

Goforgold
27-07-2011, 10:34
...and if your Company get any tickets as one of the main Sponsors that you don't want you know where I am ;)

Will definitely pass them on to you if I get any, but don't hold your breath Jackie, because if Bozo the Mayor couldn't get any freebies, then not much chance of me getting any - well that's what he'd have us believe!!! ;)

cainaries
27-07-2011, 10:39
I absolutely love the Olympics. I represented my County in many athletic competitions in the UK and Europe in my younger days but I gave it all up for the love of my life ( what a stupid cow). I would have given anything to have got a ticket for the Olympics but like so many other people we failed to get any tickets. It's right on the doorstep of my old stomping ground back in the UK as well, so would have had plenty of choice of accommodation. I went to the Munich Olympics when younger thanks to family friends whom I was travelling through Europe with at the time, and those memories will live with me forever, I can't explain the feeling of being so very passionate about something and being able to watch first hand the Worlds best performing. I like most sports, yes even football ;) but the Olympics/athletics for me are a personal favourite.

I walked round the edge of the site when I was in London in June - very impressive. However, I suspect site visits will be very restricted for security reasons.

Does anyone know if/how those of us resident in Spain can buy tickets from the Spanish system (whatever it is). Just been reading though that several EU countries are rejecting applications made in English! Has anyone managed to buy tickets in Spain to go to London?

Goforgold
27-07-2011, 10:43
I walked round the edge of the site when I was in London in June - very impressive. However, I suspect site visits will be very restricted for security reasons.

Does anyone know if/how those of us resident in Spain can buy tickets from the Spanish system (whatever it is). Just been reading though that several EU countries are rejecting applications made in English! Has anyone managed to buy tickets in Spain to go to London?

On LBC last night they said that eventually the remaining tickets will made available for anyone to apply. :) They've made it so blady complicated!! :)

candy2411
27-07-2011, 10:51
Not interested in the Olympics..........

Not at all interested either although I do love most sports , football, golf, tennis in particular.

News this morning estimates the event will create up to a billion pounds for the British economy:jumping: but its costing 9 billion to stage ???

MrsTT
27-07-2011, 11:11
I do love watching the Olympics but I am a confirmed TV viewer rather than an attendee.
I worked in that area of London in the 60s, when I first started teaching, and saw then the terrible effects the closure of all the docks was having. TT had a lot of work there a few years ago with a rail firm and we were beginning to see an improvement in the fortunes of the area, but the pictures now, with a year to go, are pretty impressive. The whole area is going to provide improved living & working space for the people who have their homes and jobs there, long after the games have gone. The investment was much needed and the games have provided a focus to achieve projects that might not have ever been afforded.