PDA

View Full Version : Amazon.co.uk now deliver free to Spain

KirstyJay
27-07-2011, 21:08
Just been on Amazon to order some books, and notice they have free super-saver delivery on orders over 25 quid to Spain.

Just thought I'd pass it on, as you can still get your VAT refunded in the Canaries, so it makes it even cheaper for us :)

MrsTT
27-07-2011, 22:47
Amazon don't even charge now for VAT on the stuff we have bought recently so you no longer have to claim it back!! :cheer:

timmylish
28-07-2011, 01:49
All on auto-pilot since the beginning of June! Hail be to Amazon!

MrsTT
28-07-2011, 09:16
With the free P&P it is a service hard to beat, as Play dot com were the cheapest overall for DVDs and books, as the postage used to shade the choice. This is no longer the case :cheer:

Debenhams also do not now charge VAT on their goods, and their P&P is very reasonable.
Evans never did and their P&P is just 5 GBP per order.

sleepy
28-07-2011, 09:36
Just been on Amazon to order some books, and notice they have free super-saver delivery on orders over 25 quid to Spain.

Just thought I'd pass it on, as you can still get your VAT refunded in the Canaries, so it makes it even cheaper for us :)

According to this post,one has to be a little careful.

Quick note about Amazon - don't use the supersaver postage or the express postage. If you do it takes up to a month and is guaranteed to be stopped by customs. We find using the regular postage method (via the post office) works best. Stuff arrives within a week or so and about 1 item in 10 gets stopped at customs.

MrsTT
28-07-2011, 10:29
We havenīt found the supersaver postage to be a problem so far and we often order from amazon several times a week. But the postal service into the village has its own style anyway so it can be difficult to tell :wink:Usually a week to 10 days from order to delivery, and the occasional customs charge, which is fair enough if we donīt pay VAT.:yum:

doreen
28-07-2011, 10:48
What is the duty on books, CD's or clothes if stopped ? 5% ?

MrsTT
28-07-2011, 11:51
Seems to be about €6.40 for any of mine that have been charged whatever the value of the goods but TT may say different as he buys more expensive computer stuff. And he is at theshop when stuff gets delivered whereas I just get to open it!!

timmylish
28-07-2011, 12:49
Rather surprisingly, I am waiting for two orders at the moment which are both one week overdue (by post) and this has never happened before so something of a shock when you consider two laptops, one 23"tv and many many more electrical goods have arrived bang on time or earlier! Perhaps the Correos here are fed up with us! (the wee mo-ped is too tired to carry our stuff)

bonitatime
28-07-2011, 14:33
IGIC varies as textiles are charged 2%

MrsTT
28-07-2011, 15:13
Rather surprisingly, I am waiting for two orders at the moment which are both one week overdue (by post) and this has never happened before so something of a shock when you consider two laptops, one 23"tv and many many more electrical goods have arrived bang on time or earlier! Perhaps the Correos here are fed up with us! (the wee mo-ped is too tired to carry our stuff)

Or your Correos post person is on holiday! Our lass staggered in with a whole load of parcels when she returned from her holiday as they donīt seem to always get relief people in to cover.

bonitatime
28-07-2011, 15:40
Careful though that they don't charge you twice for the same item. I am awaiting a claim from the credit card company where they have charged me double.

Faraway
28-07-2011, 17:37
Wow - thanks, I get a lot of stuff from them!

MrsTT
28-07-2011, 17:53
Careful though that they don't charge you twice for the same item. I am awaiting a claim from the credit card company where they have charged me double.

Is that Amazon or the Correos?

SuzyQ
28-07-2011, 18:02
Could I just add, that if you navigate to Amazon via the Live Arico website, we get a small commision. Every litle helps :)

cainaries
28-07-2011, 18:12
With the free P&P it is a service hard to beat, as Play dot com were the cheapest overall for DVDs and books, as the postage used to shade the choice. This is no longer the case :cheer:

Debenhams also do not now charge VAT on their goods, and their P&P is very reasonable.
Evans never did and their P&P is just 5 GBP per order.

Just spent an hour choosing items on the Debenhams website but how did you register on it? It demands a UK postcode which I haven't got and I can't overcome the problem. (The genius who set this computer up for me never imagined I would want to send emails through websites like Debenhams so I can't even email them!) If someone opened an account with Debenhams from the Canaries, oh, please tell me how you did it! Thanks.

MrsTT
28-07-2011, 18:45
Just spent an hour choosing items on the Debenhams website but how did you register on it? It demands a UK postcode which I haven't got and I can't overcome the problem. (The genius who set this computer up for me never imagined I would want to send emails through websites like Debenhams so I can't even email them!) If someone opened an account with Debenhams from the Canaries, oh, please tell me how you did it! Thanks.

The credit card is registered to my UK address.

cainaries
28-07-2011, 19:12
The credit card is registered to my UK address.
That would explain it, wish I'd known that before I started the process! Not your fault it's just very frustrating especially as I'd even found some respectable looking shorts for OH.

So, for those of us permanently and exclusively living in the Canaries, Debenhams doesn't work like Amazon.

MrsTT
28-07-2011, 19:47
It might be worth contacting them. i know you said you hadn't got email to do it through their website, but perhaps there is a phone number. They were very helpful when I contacted them about the VAT issue cos we were charged & shouldn't have been. It could be just the fact that their software is not enabled to work with addresses outside UK.Many businesses are accepting money from paypal so you don't need a UK address. Spain & the islands are an area of growth so places like Littlewoods Europe are exploiting it, and possibly Debenhams would like to keep up!

I have looked at their site and they are geared up to take payment from these cards:-

What payment methods do you accept?

We accept the following methods of payment:
Debenhams Gold Account card (UK & N.Ireland)
Debenhams Account card (UK & N.Ireland)
Debenhams Shareholder Account card (UK & N.Ireland)
Debenhams giftcard (all countries except France, Germany, Spain and Sweden)
Visa (all countries)
MasterCard (all countries)
American Express (all countries)
Delta/Connect (all countries)
Maestro (all countries)

They say if youhave any queries: Telephone us
0844 800 8877

Lines are open:
Monday to Friday 9am to 10pm Saturday 9am to 8pm Sunday 10am to 6pm

cainaries
28-07-2011, 21:36
It might be worth contacting them. i know you said you hadn't got email to do it through their website, but perhaps there is a phone number. They were very helpful when I contacted them about the VAT issue cos we were charged & shouldn't have been. It could be just the fact that their software is not enabled to work with addresses outside UK.Many businesses are accepting money from paypal so you don't need a UK address. Spain & the islands are an area of growth so places like Littlewoods Europe are exploiting it, and possibly Debenhams would like to keep up!

I have looked at their site and they are geared up to take payment from these cards:-

What payment methods do you accept?

We accept the following methods of payment:
Debenhams Gold Account card (UK & N.Ireland)
Debenhams Account card (UK & N.Ireland)
Debenhams Shareholder Account card (UK & N.Ireland)
Debenhams giftcard (all countries except France, Germany, Spain and Sweden)
Visa (all countries)
MasterCard (all countries)
American Express (all countries)
Delta/Connect (all countries)
Maestro (all countries)

They say if youhave any queries: Telephone us
0844 800 8877

Lines are open:
Monday to Friday 9am to 10pm Saturday 9am to 8pm Sunday 10am to 6pm

Thanks, Mrs TT. I am a stunningly impatient person so went and ordered similar items from Marks even though I've had to pay the VAT. I've already had the conversation with Marks about not paying it and they told me they ship to Spain, not specifically the Canary Islands and tough. In fact my email to Debenhams seems to have gone through so may be they will answer it and we will see what happens next. Not quite sure if 0844 numbers work from here. Also the financial police (OH) keep a very tight grip on the phone.

I do have a sterling credit card with Lloyds Bank although it's registered to this address. We shall see. They certainly have some very nice stuff on their website and it is a very well organised and easy to follow site.

MrsTT
28-07-2011, 22:04
I also only use the Spanish detail of our address as we are a province of Spain according to the Correos. Any mention of the Canary Islands in the address sends the courier firms in particular, into a tizzy, and can earn huge P&P charges!!

cainaries
28-07-2011, 23:31
I also only use the Spanish detail of our address as we are a province of Spain according to the Correos. Any mention of the Canary Islands in the address sends the courier firms in particular, into a tizzy, and can earn huge P&P charges!!
How very true! Learned a long time ago never to get anything shipped by courier. This is a pity right now as I would love to buy a Barnes and Noble Nook but saw that they ask if DHL deliver to your area. So that's ruled that out! I have now reached the stage that when I get the call from Madrid or Barcelona asking for my NIE or passport details, I hang up, contact the company I bought the item from and tell them to get it shipped back to them and post it in the ordinary post. And if there's a section for special instructions I always write 'Do not ship by courier'. We once waited a year for an item shipped by Fedex! And we only found it because our neighbour happens to be a van driver.

tenerifegal
29-07-2011, 09:31
we always get hit for import duty , so no saving really on the vat issue

MrsTT
29-07-2011, 10:00

I don't particularly like paying any taxes, but at least we only pay one tax instead of both if we can buy the goods VAT free. Then any that don't attracct the import charges are a bonus!! :D

Cainaries you could see if your book is available from Play dot com - they post here for free.

timmylish
29-07-2011, 19:23

I think you are miles out. 20% Vat takes some catching up on. Anytime I,ve had to pay Import Duty (its not really) it amounts to about 5.5%. Big, big difference and more often than not no duty is claimed!

koks
30-07-2011, 13:29
Didn't know about this thanks for the good news. :fpull: