PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Phones Does anyone have phone & TV through Bay Connect in Tenerife?

Tom & Sharon
28-07-2011, 09:46
We have been looking into moving away from Telefonica for our landline and internet, as we seem to be paying over the odds for it now. At the same time, we still don't have UK TV.

One of our neighbours is getting hers from these:- http://www.bay-connect.com/ . although her TV set top box hasn't arrived yet. TV comes via the phone line and a set top box.

Does anyone have it? If so, is it any good?

doreen
28-07-2011, 10:04
Just looking at Bay Connect

This fantastic British TV package comes FREE with our Fast Internet service.

I guess they cannot provide any faster than what Movistar can ... I'm lucky if I get 2 mg at home (but am on 5mg now in my office)

timmylish
28-07-2011, 12:54
I still stand by my belief that a VPN is the very best solution to UK tv here. My daughter is here on holiday from Glasgow and cannot believe the quality of screen/picture. Only found out that after suggesting to my family that they get Dad (in Edinburgh) Sky TV, primarily for the sport, that it was installed 3 months ago! Now I shall be able to get Sky on my computer once Madam can get me the codes!!!!!!!!

Loaded
28-07-2011, 13:53
Can you actually get Internet from any other company? I mean without it having something to do with movistar?

Tom & Sharon
28-07-2011, 16:00
We did try the VPN service through the forum, but to be honest thought it was rubbish, and didn't renew after the 6 months.

We do know how to download TV and films we particularly want to watch, and play them through an HDMI cable on the TV. However, it would be easier just to watch regular UK TV sometimes without the palaver of downloading and cables etc. We're supposed to get 6 meg through Telefonica.

Our phone bill comes in at 60€ a month for phone and broadband, and we never use the phone for anything but Spanish landline calls. We were thinking of changing to another provider anyway, and this is cheaper by miles inc. UK TV.

tonym
29-07-2011, 00:04
Havn´t tried bay connect but did try a "brit tv" service from the internet which cost a few euros per month however did not live up to its claim that the channels were actually available, mainly it as was too much of a phaff to find something to watch and then select.
So I unsubscribed but found not all the stuff unloaded so every time I select the bbc radio service I get their annoying pop up panels.

We now have the premier "28 channels all recorded for a week so you can catch up" service, just ask if you want the lowdown.Thereagain, does anything actually work like the salesperson claims ?

slodgedad
29-07-2011, 00:17
I have moved your thread to phone so when the MERGE comes it will be in the TV,Phones and Internet sub Forum

timmylish
29-07-2011, 19:32
We did try the VPN service through the forum, but to be honest thought it was rubbish, and didn't renew after the 6 months.

We do know how to download TV and films we particularly want to watch, and play them through an HDMI cable on the TV. However, it would be easier just to watch regular UK TV sometimes without the palaver of downloading and cables etc. We're supposed to get 6 meg through Telefonica.

Our phone bill comes in at 60€ a month for phone and broadband, and we never use the phone for anything but Spanish landline calls. We were thinking of changing to another provider anyway, and this is cheaper by miles inc. UK TV.

My VPN (not the Forum,s) is fantastic. Doing a speedtest it is just slightly slower than Telefonica,s normal internet speed of 7/8 mgps,(when using the VPN it is 6/7 mgps) so the d/l speed of video content, the TV etc, is first class. In years with my supplier the system has gone down twice, for periods of between 6 and 18 hours. Not bad at all. 6 or 7 € per month for uninterrupted service. Beat that with any of these advertised systems since all they are doing is using a master VPN and splitting the service betweena certain number of clients paying 28€ per month, or so. Good money by any standards.

Nic
28-09-2011, 20:51
Just wondered if you had gone ahead with the bay connect tv and if you had was it a good choice? I know it connects to the internet but does it freeze like some of the VPN ones do? Any more info on this product would be good, thanks!

atlantico
28-09-2011, 20:54
surely any internet or VPN service is only as good as your internet connection ?

crap download speed = crap VPN quality ?

Graceylacey
28-09-2011, 21:04
I have my phone line, my internet, spanish TV and 3 mobiles all through vodafone. Its brilliant, totally away from Movistar, who gave me bills from when I wasnt even connected with them.

Far cheaper, far better and I am far happier!

Tom & Sharon
28-09-2011, 22:09
We went ahead with Bay Connect - http://www.bay-connect.com/

Couldn't recommend it highly enough. They dealt with everything for us re: Telefonica. The new router & set top box were easy to install..

We now have telephone, internet & UK TV for €47.95 a month, which is less than we were paying for the phone and internet with Telefonica.

It works perfectly, and we don't have an ugly aeriel on the wall outside.

It is the way forward for TV abroad I am sure.

Graceylacey
28-09-2011, 23:05
With paying 47 a month, how much are your local and mobile calls per minute??

Tom & Sharon
28-09-2011, 23:20
With paying 47 a month, how much are your local and mobile calls per minute??

Some call charges here:- http://www.bay-connect.com/services/cheap-calls-spain-uk/

Sorry, I don't know how much the charge is to a mobile, but you could ring them and ask?

Nic
29-09-2011, 10:26
Does it ever freeze? When we had VPN it used to freeze constantly but I think this may be different, maybe similar to the service Premier are offering. Have emailed them and they are sending me more info. Do you get all the channels mentioned on their website. Thanks Tom & Sharon for replying! You should ask them for comission!!

Tom & Sharon
29-09-2011, 13:42
Does it ever freeze? When we had VPN it used to freeze constantly but I think this may be different, maybe similar to the service Premier are offering. Have emailed them and they are sending me more info. Do you get all the channels mentioned on their website. Thanks Tom & Sharon for replying! You should ask them for comission!!

We tried the VPN service available through the forum, and thought it was absolutely hopeless. It used to freeze all the time, and all that connecting the TV to your laptop every time you want to watch TV is no good at all.

This is really good. You get a new router, and a little Motorola set top box not much bigger than the router. The set top box is connected between the TV and the router. You get a remote control to change the channels. The set top box costs €94.95, but you don' have to pay it upfront. It is split into 2 payments over your first 2 months bills.

Yes, you get all the channels which are on the website.

It has frozen a couple of times when it's been on for hrs and hrs, but all you need to do is press the channel button again, and it comes straight back on. Nothing like that VPN rubbish we tried. That used to freeze every 2 mins, and then start whirring away on the screen re-loading. It used to drive us insane, and we stopped watching it all together. It just doesn't work.

I have been watching BBC since I got up this morning, and is working perfectly.

We were paying 60€ a month for telephone line and internet from Telefonica. We're now paying €47 a month and that includes TV. The way we looked at it, we couldn't lose because it was cheaper anyway. We thought "if the TV works as well, it's a bonus!"

It really does work, so now we're happy bunnies! :):)

Nic
29-09-2011, 15:03
Thanks again, as you say it works out cheaper than Telefonica. I have the BBC system at the moment which you pay 90€ a year for and which invariably goes off in the winter when the weather is rubbish. This sounds a much better deal to me. I think I'm going to go for it and if I'm happy with it then I'm sure my mum and dad will get it too! Thanks for all your info again T & S :)

jewels
29-09-2011, 15:27

Couldn't recommend it highly enough. They dealt with everything for us re: Telefonica. The new router & set top box were easy to install..

We now have telephone, internet & UK TV for €47.95 a month, which is less than we were paying for the phone and internet with Telefonica.

Thanks for the info this could save us around 40 euros per month,so we are having a look at it.

astara
29-09-2011, 15:57
can anybody tell me the cheapest way to get home internet/ dongle, I have no telephone line at home...

lesbroz
29-09-2011, 22:29

Did you already have a line installed by Telefonica that Bay Connect took over? Only asking as we don't currently have a land line, but this looks competitive.

Tom & Sharon
29-09-2011, 23:17
Did you already have a line installed by Telefonica that Bay Connect took over? Only asking as we don't currently have a land line, but this looks competitive.

Yes, we already had a Telfonica line which they took over.

Our neighbour has it as well though, and she didn't have an existing landline. They organised the line installation for her as well.

lesbroz
30-09-2011, 15:45
Yes, we already had a Telfonica line which they took over.

Our neighbour has it as well though, and she didn't have an existing landline. They organised the line installation for her as well.

T&S Thank you so much for this information. It is a great help.

BoPeep
02-11-2011, 11:14
has anyone tried the Europa Network advertised on the front page of the Tenerife Weekly?

ali marshall
02-11-2011, 12:16
I changed with telefonica as they were over charging me,put 25 euro on bills saying they had been paid late when they had not,and i never got all the money back.I still pay them 13 euros a month for my line in my bill with talk talk and pay 40 euro a month to talk talk,i get free unlimited calls to the uk,germany,spain and ireland,and thats 7 days a week and you can call any upto a 1000 minutes before they charge,but pretty hard to use 1000 minutes in one call.

Also uk premium numbers are free.I have been with them 18 months and only problem i had was net speed was slow as other people were using my free wifi,so i called them and within minutes they put a password on my wifi and my net speed went up,plus it great finally dealing with a company where the operators speak good emglish.

Tom & Sharon
02-11-2011, 13:42
Still really pleased with Bay Connect. :thanx::thanx:

timmylish
02-11-2011, 15:36
Been speaking to people who will be involved in Europa and I have to say, for the costs involved, they seem to me to be the best in the market, at the moment. After all, charging 35€ for up to 10 mgsps, incl line rental, beats Telefonica, unless of course if you are like us on a special discount at the moment. On top of that you get UKtv. Good selection of the freebie channels. No-one gets close to that sort of deal. Oh and btw. All done in English, bills, contacts etc!

Nic
02-11-2011, 15:58
Been speaking to people who will be involved in Europa and I have to say, for the costs involved, they seem to me to be the best in the market, at the moment. After all, charging 35€ for up to 10 mgsps, incl line rental, beats Telefonica, unless of course if you are like us on a special discount at the moment. On top of that you get UKtv. Good selection of the freebie channels. No-one gets close to that sort of deal. Oh and btw. All done in English, bills, contacts etc!

From looking at Europas website they are offering exactly the same as Bay Connect albeit about 50 cents a month cheaper. Even the screenshots of the TV package look exactly the same. After recommendation from Tom & Sharon we got the Bay Connect system and couldn't be happier with it and my parents have also signed up and got rid of Sky, saving them about 50€ a month. It does stick every so often and if you try and download at the same time then the screen is pixalated but all in all, it's a good system!

timmylish
02-11-2011, 17:11
If you your system is the same, or similar, why are you not getting 10 mgsps?
I ask this because at anything like that speed there should be no "sticking" or the like. Not knocking but, same for same there is a difference! What are all the charges. Line rental, adsl (with tv) but no calls?

waveydavey
02-11-2011, 17:17
I have just signed up with Europa TV,when the equipment arrives I shall post a comment..Watch this space.

will a
02-11-2011, 18:07

Is the 35 euros definately including the line rental? I read the site as 35.95 for up to 10mb plus 13 euros line rental.

Tom & Sharon
02-11-2011, 18:16
Is the 35 euros definately including the line rental? I read the site as 35.95 for up to 10mb plus 13 euros line rental.

That's how I read it Will. It makes it more than Bay Connect. Plus it says there is a one-off transfer fee of 19.95€, and we paid nothing for the transfer!

From looking at Europas website they are offering exactly the same as Bay Connect albeit about 50 cents a month cheaper. Even the screenshots of the TV package look exactly the same. After recommendation from Tom & Sharon we got the Bay Connect system and couldn't be happier with it and my parents have also signed up and got rid of Sky, saving them about 50€ a month. It does stick every so often and if you try and download at the same time then the screen is pixalated but all in all, it's a good system!

Glad you're pleased with it. :-)

waveydavey
02-11-2011, 19:18
Yes it is plus line rental but so is Telefonica,a little bit dearer.

timmylish
03-11-2011, 01:04
You know someat?
Why can they just not be out in the open and state clearly what the charges are, ie Line Rental at x amount plus ADSL at whatever speed at x amount. Its not too difficult and if they are cheaper it becomes quite clear, surely! Looking at both Europa and Bay Connect they appear more interested in presenting a cartoon image rather than specify the charges and what they relate to. At least Telefonica do so without cartoon type graphics! We shall probably stay as we are with Telefonica by changing the a/c holder from one to the other (different surnames) to take advantage of the offers which will be available when we need to renew our contract.

cainaries
03-11-2011, 10:27
I'm being lazy and not tracking right through this thread. Sharon, I seem to remember you said your neighbour got Bay Connect to instal a landline in her house? Did they do this free?! Do you happen to know if there was already a connection but she just hadn't bothered to open an account or if they actually had to do all the wiring?

Tom & Sharon
03-11-2011, 10:38
You know someat?
Why can they just not be out in the open and state clearly what the charges are, ie Line Rental at x amount plus ADSL at whatever speed at x amount. Its not too difficult and if they are cheaper it becomes quite clear, surely! Looking at both Europa and Bay Connect they appear more interested in presenting a cartoon image rather than specify the charges and what they relate to. At least Telefonica do so without cartoon type graphics! We shall probably stay as we are with Telefonica by changing the a/c holder from one to the other (different surnames) to take advantage of the offers which will be available when we need to renew our contract.

This made me just look a the Bay Connect website again.

They have changed the breakdown of the pricing so that it gives free TV with the fast internet. This is presumably to compete with Europa who advertise it that way. However, the total price is still the same as before - 46.90€ a month for everything. We were paying 60€ before with Telefonica as our introductory period had ended, just for line and broadband.

I looked on the Telefonica website, and they are advertising 38.87€ a month for line and broadband for new customers.

For the extra 8€ a month (new customers only comparison) I think I would rather have the addition of UK TV.

Added after 4 minutes:

I'm being lazy and not tracking right through this thread. Sharon, I seem to remember you said your neighbour got Bay Connect to instal a landline in her house? Did they do this free?! Do you happen to know if there was already a connection but she just hadn't bothered to open an account or if they actually had to do all the wiring?

Ours are "new builds" so I think all the actual wiring is in the street? (That's my non-technical description as Tom's not here!)

I think it was free, although I can check on that for you.

Bay Connect transferred ours from Telefonica for free, but according to the Europa website, they charge 19.95€.

cainaries
04-11-2011, 08:10
This made me just look a the Bay Connect website again.

Ours are "new builds" so I think all the actual wiring is in the street? (That's my non-technical description as Tom's not here!)

I think it was free, although I can check on that for you.

Bay Connect transferred ours from Telefonica for free, but according to the Europa website, they charge 19.95€.

Thanks, Sharon. I was interested to know to what extent they might provide this service. Seemed rather unlikely they would be going to remote locations to connect them up though they'd get extremely good business here on La Palma if they did. We have what I shall call a garden shed and it would be great to get internet and tv in there. Telefonica won't connect to it as it breaches one of their rules. but we have a line in the house so it shouldn't be difficult. Verrry interesting to think I might be able to get round the problem.

Tom & Sharon
04-11-2011, 11:10
Thanks, Sharon. I was interested to know to what extent they might provide this service. Seemed rather unlikely they would be going to remote locations to connect them up though they'd get extremely good business here on La Palma if they did. We have what I shall call a garden shed and it would be great to get internet and tv in there. Telefonica won't connect to it as it breaches one of their rules. but we have a line in the house so it shouldn't be difficult. Verrry interesting to think I might be able to get round the problem.

But do you have a Telefonica phone line in the house? If you have, I'm sure you can get TV in the house.

Not sure about your garden shed :confused::confused:

Megaloo
11-11-2011, 14:41
Sorry if this has been asked before but has anyone gone with Europa Network and is there any difference between them and Bay? I asked this as a friend has just telephoned all excited telling me about Europa

anegib
11-11-2011, 14:49
There is a company in La Laguna called ITC Iberiatel Canaries [German I think]
they are offering telephone and internet at much cheaper price. They keep phoning me to change from Telefonica/Movistar but do not know anything about them.

Stoney
11-11-2011, 15:03
Just had a look on their website its 49.75 for internet and landline plus you have to buy a router either 19.90 for fixed or 59.00 for WIFI. Set up fee of 49 Euros and they use your Telefonica landline. Will cost 60 Euros if you leave before 12 months completed. If you just get the internet its 35.75 and you still have to pay Telefonica for the landline.

cainaries
11-11-2011, 17:06
[QUOTE=Tom & Sharon;113193]But do you have a Telefonica phone line in the house? If you have, I'm sure you can get TV in the house.

Not sure about your garden shed :confused::confused:[/QUO

Strange thing but we haven't had UK TV for 6 years and when I got the VPN to watch it on my computer I got quite excited. Watched about 3 programmes and gave up. I was just hoping to get tv connected in the 'shed' for OH to watch the Discovery Channel and National Geographic which bore me to tears! Never mind.

Tom & Sharon
12-11-2011, 00:30
Strange thing but we haven't had UK TV for 6 years and when I got the VPN to watch it on my computer I got quite excited. Watched about 3 programmes and gave up. I was just hoping to get tv connected in the 'shed' for OH to watch the Discovery Channel and National Geographic which bore me to tears! Never mind.

But why not just get UK TV for the house if it doesn't cost any more money? :confused::confused:

waveydavey
12-11-2011, 05:55
Well I said I would report back when I got my Europa network up and running and it's all good.I have my 15 channels to watch plus 6 radio stations as well.It took a week for the router and set top box to arrive from mainland Spain and a further 1/12 hrs to connect it.Early days yet but so far so good.

Tom & Sharon
12-11-2011, 18:05
Well I said I would report back when I got my Europa network up and running and it's all good.I have my 15 channels to watch plus 6 radio stations as well.It took a week for the router and set top box to arrive from mainland Spain and a further 1/12 hrs to connect it.Early days yet but so far so good.

I'm sure it must be the same system as Bay Connect. What make is your set top box?

waveydavey
12-11-2011, 19:35
Hi Tom & Sharon it is a TP-Link it probably is the same box as I have.

monkeymisha
13-11-2011, 11:15
hi those of you with bay connect are you in the north or south as i know some areas get better signals than others thanks

TIS
13-11-2011, 12:47
I'm sure it must be the same system as Bay Connect. What make is your set top box?
I can confirm that bay connect is indeed the same company - Europa-networks

Tom & Sharon
13-11-2011, 12:51
Hi Tom & Sharon it is a TP-Link it probably is the same box as I have.

Yes, we have a TP-Link router, and a Motorola set top box.

hi those of you with bay connect are you in the north or south as i know some areas get better signals than others thanks

We are in the South.

VIASAT
14-11-2011, 13:05
The very best deal anywhere in Spain is Vodafone, Up to 10MB broadband 14,90 Euros per month which gives you free calls to Vodafone mobiles and they give you a dongle for mobile internet which is free 3 days per month.
Then if you want cheap calls go pay as you go with either UK telecom, Europa, Direct telecom, Telitec or any other provider, Then you can pay 1 cent per min to call the UK.

I applied online on October 20th the equipment arrived within a week they let me use the mobile dongle until the landline was connrected which happened on Nov 10th.

From a 10mb line i receive 9.1mb download speeds.

This is the cheapest ADSL deal in Spain at 14,90 per month. Telefonica is 26,90 per month for up to 10MB new clients.

Added after 5 minutes:

Forgot to mention, Free land line calls across Spain 3000 mins per month and free calls to mobiles at the weekend.

I hope this info helps to save people money. www.vodafone.es http://tienda.vodafone.es/adsl/adsl/

VIASAT
14-11-2011, 13:12
Forgot to say you get free landline calls (3000 mins per month) all over Spain and free calls to all mobiles at the weekend (350 mins)