PDA

View Full Version : Which wireless router should I buy?

balababe
28-07-2011, 09:59
I am sure this question has been asked before, but I can't find it anywhere.

I have a Belkin54g router which I only bought about two years ago. However, it continually needs resetting by turning off and on when a second laptop is connected, or it is connected to the DVD player (all wirelessly).

I am presuming the fault is with the router and have decided to get another one - so can anyone recommend the best one and where to buy it? Thanks.

timmylish
28-07-2011, 12:57
I came on here regarding this several months ago and got a real eye opener when people more techy aware than me eventually persuaded me that the Telefonica one is as good as any. Have to say that going all over the net for info I tend to agree. So long as your d/l speed is reasonable no expensive router increases that speed by any noticeable amount. Just make sure that it is the latest version and as I said have a decent d/l speed already.

doreen
28-07-2011, 13:06
The brand NETGEAR is what I've been told (DJD & MrTT) - still needs rebooting a lot

cainaries
28-07-2011, 13:31
I came on here regarding this several months ago and got a real eye opener when people more techy aware than me eventually persuaded me that the Telefonica one is as good as any. Have to say that going all over the net for info I tend to agree. So long as your d/l speed is reasonable no expensive router increases that speed by any noticeable amount. Just make sure that it is the latest version and as I said have a decent d/l speed already.
I'm not in the remotest sense techy but am pretty happy with my Telefonica router. (It'll probably pack up now). Other good thing is if it goes wrong they come out to have a look at it though I suspect their main aim is to sell you another one. We pay over the odds for everything - people see us and just double their original price. I think we paid about €60 though our friends got same router from Telefonica for €50 and they may have dropped even more by now. When they come to instal it ask them to check your download speed. That tends to concentrate their thinking.

timmylish
28-07-2011, 13:51
I'm not in the remotest sense techy but am pretty happy with my Telefonica router. (It'll probably pack up now). Other good thing is if it goes wrong they come out to have a look at it though I suspect their main aim is to sell you another one. We pay over the odds for everything - people see us and just double their original price. I think we paid about €60 though our friends got same router from Telefonica for €50 and they may have dropped even more by now. When they come to instal it ask them to check your download speed. That tends to concentrate their thinking.

Toally agree. However we got the router free when they installed a new line last December!

markcuk
28-07-2011, 14:13
you could try a firmware update http://web.belkin.com/support/download/downloaddetails.asp?download=1115&lang=1

timmylish
28-07-2011, 14:37
I think your model is now some 5/6 years old!
I would go their web site to d/l up-dates etc

balababe
28-07-2011, 15:25
Thank you everyone for your replies. Not sure what I would do without the forum.

cainaries
28-07-2011, 23:17
Toally agree. However we got the router free when they installed a new line last December!
Exactly my point - they all see me coming and write a new factura! Mind you we got a huge amount of support, new line run in for us and our neighbours, etc., once they'd looked at our d/l speed. Another neighbour tried to refuse them access to check his line/router etc. Whereupon neighbour numero uno said to the telefonica guy .. oh, cut them off! It's exciting living here.

slodgedad
28-07-2011, 23:21
You don't need to ask what speed you have just click HERE (http://www.speedtest.net/) and find out for yourself

cainaries
28-07-2011, 23:23
You don't need to ask what speed you have just click HERE (http://www.speedtest.net/) and find out for yourself
Hi, Slodgey, yes I knew what speed I had which was a lot less than I was paying for which was why I made the guy check it out! This put him on the back foot through the whole transaction which was where I wanted him. And sent men up trees and down holes trying to solve the problem.

Suej
29-07-2011, 10:16

I agree! I bought a Conceptronic router which was highly recommended and quite honestly it does the same job (no more, no less) than my Telefonica one! what differences can there be a routerīs a router???

Vortex Wake
29-07-2011, 11:07
I agree! I bought a Conceptronic router which was highly recommended and quite honestly it does the same job (no more, no less) than my Telefonica one! what differences can there be a routerīs a router???

Actually, there can be differences i.e. a newer 'n' router is faster than the common 'g' router, however to benefit from this faster wifi (between router and Laptop etc) , you need a Laptop/PC etc that supports wireless 'n'.

Suej
29-07-2011, 11:49
Actually, there can be differences i.e. a newer 'n' router is faster than the common 'g' router, however to benefit from this faster wifi (between router and Laptop etc) , you need a Laptop/PC etc that supports wireless 'n'.

How could we find that out please VW?

Vortex Wake
29-07-2011, 13:04
How could we find that out please VW?

Google the model name/number ? Assuming your Laptop is no more than a couple of years old or so.

balababe
29-07-2011, 14:32
you could try a firmware update http://web.belkin.com/support/download/downloaddetails.asp?download=1115&lang=1

Thanks for taking the trouble to find the correct link for my router. I downloaded the update, but it was a bin file, which appeared to be a zipped file, but I couldn't find any way to unzip it. (Using a macbook). However, I am now trying out one of telefonica's routers.

markcuk
29-07-2011, 14:57
you have to log into the router to upload the new file.