PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones Which SIM card should I choose to use in Tenerife?

thejoaniebird
29-07-2011, 15:24
Hi guys. We're coming out to sunny Tenerife next week, and I'm a bit disappointed to find that T mobile don't provide any sort of mobile phone booster for the Canaries. Can anyone help me out? I'm ideally looking for a wee prepay SIM so we can be reachable in emergencies, and make a few calls. My facebook status will have to wait until I get to an internet cafe, I suppose.

viv
29-07-2011, 15:45
Hiya, we've not long moved to Tenerife either.

We had Orange pay as you go in the Uk but found it very expensive here in Tenerife. We have changed to "HITS" pay as you go as recommended by our local shop as being much cheaper/cost effective than Orange or any of the major names. Hits is new on the market. Works well for us.

Hope this helps :0)

thejoaniebird
29-07-2011, 15:48
ooh thanks. Where is the best place to go for them? I've found Witzend on line.

viv
29-07-2011, 15:51
we live in Golf del sur and got ours from the local Indian/electrical shop in San Blas Square

Johnboy
29-07-2011, 15:56
I have had all the major phone suppliers over the years here in Tenerife but the fairly new Labara network is the best I have had. It's owned by Vodafone but as a separate company. Calls to UK land lines are 5 cents a minute and I think to mobiles it is 9 cents. Texts are 19 cents. There is a connection charge on all calls of 25 cents. The easiest way to buy a sim card is the small shop unit in the entrance to Gran Sur Shopping center. The sim card is 10€ with 10€ of credit on it. You will need identification when you buy. (Passport)

MrsTT
29-07-2011, 16:01
Witzend supply HITS sims if you are in the Callao Salvaje Area.

balababe
29-07-2011, 19:26
Witzend supply HITS sims if you are in the Callao Salvaje Area.

I need two, as I am fed up with being timed out by Movistar when I go back to the UK. I was told that if one person is in the UK with their HITS sim card and the other in Tenerife, they can call each other free???? Seems too good to be true. All my phones are linked to Movistar - can you jailbreak them or whatever it is called? I have had them for over a year, so I presume it is legal.

MrsTT
30-07-2011, 13:52
I need two, as I am fed up with being timed out by Movistar when I go back to the UK. I was told that if one person is in the UK with their HITS sim card and the other in Tenerife, they can call each other free???? Seems too good to be true. All my phones are linked to Movistar - can you jailbreak them or whatever it is called? I have had them for over a year, so I presume it is legal.

Two people with HITS can call each other in Spain for calls up to 5 minutes and incur only the connection charge for an hour a day. Over five minutes calling and the normal rate charges occur. Once you are in UK the call willl incur roaming charges.

babybadger
01-08-2011, 15:00
Vodafone for best coverage on the Island. If you are on O2 even PAYG , you can do 'SPAIN MONTH' option and its free to receive up to 1000 mins in spain regardless of what network you are hooked onto abroad. Takes 48 hours to set up and £5, well worth it for a temporary setup and a UK number in Spain...