PDA

View Full Version : FOUND I have 7 kittens camped in my garden. What can I do?

maggiehart
29-07-2011, 19:00
7 kittens camped in my garden, yes 7 !! can anybody tell me who will rescue them !!

Sal
29-07-2011, 19:47
I am fairly sure there is somebody here on the forum involved in cat rescue, but I can't remember the name they use.

I have found these links for you from FB:

http://www.cats-aid.com
http://www.catsaid.com
http://www.facebook.com/catsaidtf

Just had a look at members - try Cat Woman.

Hope this helps.

Harmonicaman
29-07-2011, 19:53
7 kittens camped in my garden, yes 7 !! can anybody tell me who will rescue them !!

Are they stuck up a tree?

MaxineC
29-07-2011, 20:07
You need to contact Cat Woman... you'll find her in the members list.

EDIT: Sorry, hadn't seen Sal had already mentioned her... :ashamed:

Cat Woman
29-07-2011, 20:35
Hi Maggie,
Just logged on after a day cat catching, including a very large wild black pregnant cat which Im happy to say we eventually caught.
I havent got any room to take in any more kittens and neither has my sister.
I dont know about any of the other rescue centres as some of them give my number when people ring them about cats and kittens.
I live in an apartment, I dont have a cat sanctuary, I wish I did have.
If I had a Finca high up somewhere with loads of land I would take them all.
I did ask on here of anyone would foster some kittens. I have 4 fostered out. Graceylacys cat Tiggy wouldnt foster 2 very young ones, as her kittens were older and she had probably had enough! So they are being fostered on Monday by Taffy who already has four. Is there anyone else on here who could foster the kittens?
There is an eye infection in the place that sometimes takes kittens off me, so they cant go there either.
If they are born wild but taken in by someone when young enough, they can be tamed and re homed. Under 6 weeks is quiet easy, over that age is more difficult, but can still be done with lots of patience.
Is the mum cat about? How old are the kittens? Could you feed them and try and get them used to you which would help tame them and maybe they could be re homed eventually.
I set up 'Cats Welfare' with my sister Wendi to catch and have neutered the cats that dont have homes, the ones that would never get taken to the vets, the wild, stray and abandoned cats, we do it to cut down on the kittens being born.
Sharon.

Sal
29-07-2011, 21:00

Maybe you could try DJ Dangerous. I'm sure somebody here will help you - or more importantly, the kittens.

No offence!

sleepy
29-07-2011, 21:15
Sadly there is no easy answer to this situation.My hands are tied with the ones I've got and I am still looking for homes for some other strays which I have fed since time began.Sorry,just wish I could offer some extra help or ideas.

DJ Dangerous
29-07-2011, 21:39
I think that just about everybody is bursting at the seams - the first questions would be the age of the kittens, and are they tame or wild?

yourneighbourdi
29-07-2011, 21:42
These girls do all they can and more...they only have so much room..and funding. And i know from first hand experience..all the spare time they have is devoted to what they do...keeping up the very important website is also time so any help would be good. Sisters...say no more!
http://www.cats-welfare-tenerife.com/

Cat Woman
29-07-2011, 22:13
PLEASE make sure they have water and food, especially WATER. Also please make sure they have shade. Thanks. Sharon.

slodgedad
29-07-2011, 22:17
Why hasn't the OP made any reply after her first post?

Logged off 2 minutes later and has never been back. Can't be that urgent.

(Personal opinion. Nothing to do with my mod status)

doreen
29-07-2011, 22:19

Let's not be harsh ... could have rushed to an internet cafe to seek help :)

slodgedad
29-07-2011, 22:29
Let's not be harsh ... could have rushed to an internet cafe to seek help :)

My apologies.

I hope the OP comes back on. I'm always fascinated at the outcome of members' problems.

caroletenerife
29-07-2011, 22:32
Just back from walk with fasi, the wasteland next to Esmarelda is getting really bad for cats, there are currently 16 that i could see and two pregnant females, all ages from teeny weeny to adults, have fed them (saw other people with cartons heading up there as i left) and bathed the little ones eyes. Its bloody heart breaking, I'm told the vets that do the neutering are not due back for months, god only knows how many will be there by then.

Sal
29-07-2011, 22:56
Just back from walk with fasi, the wasteland next to Esmarelda is getting really bad for cats, there are currently 16 that i could see and two pregnant females, all ages from teeny weeny to adults, have fed them (saw other people with cartons heading up there as i left) and bathed the little ones eyes. Its bloody heart breaking, I'm told the vets that do the neutering are not due back for months, god only knows how many will be there by then.

I thought this sort of thing was under control now, but must admit I saw a lot more stray (feral) cats this year on holiday. Maybe the charitable organisations which control this sort of thing need more support. Hope we can get some support for the work they are doing.

DJ Dangerous
29-07-2011, 23:06
I was told that the ASFA vets won't be back for a year, and to be honest, we are lucky that they will be back at all. I was speaking with one of the organisers earlier in the week.

I wasn't as involved with the trapping as I'd have liked to be last time, as I was busy with registration (look for Modelo 036 video) but I heard that they felt people were taking advantage of what they do.

They travel to a lot of other places to help with the same thing, and I fear (but hope I am wrong) that TFS has just taken a step down the priority ladder.

If anybody else is in touch with them, please feel free to correct me.

doreen
29-07-2011, 23:16
I was told that the ASFA vets won't be back for a year, and to be honest, we are lucky that they will be back at all. I was speaking with one of the organisers earlier in the week.

I wasn't as involved with the trapping as I'd have liked to be last time, as I was busy with registration (look for Modelo 036 video) but I heard that they felt people were taking advantage of what they do.

They travel to a lot of other places to help with the same thing, and I fear (but hope I am wrong) that TFS has just taken a step down the priority ladder.

What do you mean, DJD - bringing pets or something instead of newly trapped cats ???

sleepy
29-07-2011, 23:26

Hmmm..another maggie.Got me thinking too :D

caroletenerife
29-07-2011, 23:40
What do you mean, DJD - bringing pets or something instead of newly trapped cats ???

when the vets were over for the dogs earlier in the year a good few people came to the shop and asked if we could get their dogs neutered and pretend they were strays.....ooooft. Regularly get asked if we can pay to neuter their dogs....errm no sorry.

YOUNG GOLFER
30-07-2011, 00:29

I don't want to pretend that i did not see this post...(some might)but i am sorry to say people that have pets are given a chance to get treatment at half the price.....which is not what being a pet owner is all about ...or a charity in a postion to offer this discounted service.

SuzyQ
30-07-2011, 01:59
when the vets were over for the dogs earlier in the year a good few people came to the shop and asked if we could get their dogs neutered and pretend they were strays.....ooooft. Regularly get asked if we can pay to neuter their dogs....errm no sorry.

yes, we get that a lot.....

Cat Woman
05-08-2011, 18:48
Hi,
Just got back on line after a week. Simon Hyde fixed my computer, its running perfect now!.
We are still getting through the Gran Sur cats, I think most of the females have been done and all the kittens have been removed and either re homed or fostered. Theres about 8 more to do.
As soon as we have finished having them neutered we will start on the cats next to Esmarelda, so the week after next we will start on the females and try to get the kittens fostered.
We are doing as many as we can as fast as we can.
Ive just paid Hospivets bill which was 815 euros. We try to have 10 a week neutered and we work with 4 vets, but with all the sick kittens we keep finding we cant afford to do as many as we would like to.
caroletenerife, when you have time will you try and give me a breakdown of the cats and kittens at Esmarelda.
Thanks, Sharon.:)

caroletenerife
05-08-2011, 19:24
Hi,
Just got back on line after a week. Simon Hyde fixed my computer, its running perfect now!.
We are still getting through the Gran Sur cats, I think most of the females have been done and all the kittens have been removed and either re homed or fostered. Theres about 8 more to do.
As soon as we have finished having them neutered we will start on the cats next to Esmarelda, so the week after next we will start on the females and try to get the kittens fostered.
We are doing as many as we can as fast as we can.
Ive just paid Hospivets bill which was 815 euros. We try to have 10 a week neutered and we work with 4 vets, but with all the sick kittens we keep finding we cant afford to do as many as we would like to.
caroletenerife, when you have time will you try and give me a breakdown of the cats and kittens at Esmarelda.
Thanks, Sharon.:)

will do, i think i will take photos cos they keep moving about haha, hard to count them. They come over to me now, cos they know i equal food, they even ignore the dog. I think the youngest kittens are around 6 weeks but they are skinny so could be older. Will send you photos and numbers

DJ Dangerous
28-08-2011, 01:46
Three of Maggie's kittens (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150297284253584&set=a.10150297266008584.354150.825098583&type=1&theater) were re-homed with families in Callao Salvaje, one disappeared, and a friend of hers took the other three.

Andy0210
28-08-2011, 02:07

Thats sad! Very sad.....

Three of Maggie's kittens (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150297284253584&set=a.10150297266008584.354150.825098583&type=1&theater) were re-homed with families in Callao Salvaje, one disappeared, and a friend of hers took the other three.

Nice to hear there were kittens re-homed without people getting mad at each other! Thats how it should be! :)