PDA

View Full Version : When will we be getting cheaper Internet in Tenerife?

waveydavey
30-07-2011, 17:56
Does anyone know when we are supposed to get cheaper internet,I have been watching the news and I know that the cable went in about a couple of months ago, but I am puzzled as to when we will be seeing any good from it.:wow:

KirstyJay
30-07-2011, 18:32
Cheaper? I just want faster!

bonitatime
30-07-2011, 18:46
What I have heard is the autumn but no more than that. I would be keener on faster than cheaper

Stoney
30-07-2011, 19:07
According to Telefonica it will be ready in September, but they didn't say what year so my guess is June 2013

Muppet
30-07-2011, 19:27
It is a well known fact that the words Telefonica and Cheaper never appear in the same sentence

tonypub
30-07-2011, 19:30
It is a well known fact that the words Tenefonica and Cheaper never appear in the same sentenceyou just broke that facteek2:

bonitatime
30-07-2011, 19:45
But the line was laid by Vodafone which is why is it expected to get cheaper

Stoney
30-07-2011, 20:33
Hope you are right, might even be more reliable but then that wouldn't be hard

Muppet
30-07-2011, 21:47
But the line was laid by Vodafone which is why is it expected to get cheaper

But, who "owns" and controls the main cables from new fibre-optic, who owns and operates - and has the keys to - the telephone exchanges, who owns the cables in the street and the little boxes.

Until the Guardia Civil break down the doors to the exchanges and allow other operators like Vodafone inside, not much will change.

timmylish
31-07-2011, 01:19
November is the month the Cabildo stated the new lines to domestic users will be available and to new suppliers from elsewhere in Europe.

slodgedad
31-07-2011, 01:24
Here is a copy/paste of my original post om TF Mk. 1

The 2,000 kilometre long submarine cable network linking Cádiz Tenerife, Gran Canaria and La Palma, will be installed in the first half of 2011, as announced following the signing of the contract between Lucent and Alcatel.

This network will allow CanaLink. a consortium owned in equal parts and IslaLink IT3, meet the exponential growth in demand for higher bandwidth connectivity to the Internet in the Canary Islands. It will support new IP services and applications, data centres, high speed used in the research of renewable energy, telecommunications, government, academic and research communities - especially with the connection of the telescopes on top of the Roque de los Muchachos on the island of La Palma.

The submarine cable network will also support the data centre NAPWACI (Network Access Point of Western Africa and the Canary Islands), an essential element of ALIX, an initiative promoted by the Corporation to become the telecommunications hub between Africa, Europe and South America, to be located at Granadilla, and the Canary Islands made a point of contact for reliable connectivity and high availability with West Africa. The raised infrastructure satisfies the criteria of high quality and strength in its network design, responding to technical and service requirements demanded by telecom operators operating in the country, and in any case necessary to effectively eliminate the digital divide gap between the Canaries and the other European regions.

CanaLink is a joint venture between IT3, a telecommunications operator formed by the ITER whose benefits are obtained through the promotion of renewable energy and solar systems, and IslaLink (Spanish leader in regional submarine networks neutral network operating in the Balearic Islands since 2001). IslaLink has the support of the leading alternative operator in Spain and has recently won a competition at the Ministry of Industry to connect the RedIRIS (network of research institutes and universities from Spain) to telescopes on the island of La Palma.