PDA

View Full Version : Charity Notice Help - Black dog and injured cat found on Amarilla Golf, Tenerife.

Todi
30-07-2011, 23:37
While driving along the road from Amarilla Golf down to the Marina on Thursday night a black dog ran out and chased my car barking like mad. Went where I had to go and came back, worried that if people were coming away from bars they might encounter a vicious dog. Found him/her on the waste ground and he/she is not agressive just terrified. I have been back every night since with food and last night the dog was waiting for me! It wont come near but will eat the food when I walk away a bit. I am going to persevere and hopefully get its trust but I am worried it will get run over and am desperate to catch it. Any suggestions how to catch it very welcome! And if anyone else comes across it he/she is jet black, podenco like and very scared but not aggressive.

Also one of my customers has seen a cat sitting on the wall by the Marina with a very severe facial injury, looks like it may have been attacked and infection seems to have set in. Again me and a friend have been going to see if we can catch it and get it to a vet. If anyone else has seen it we need an idea of the times it comes out and where it goes.

Ok off to feed the dog, might take one of mine along see if it will come to another dog

caroletenerife
31-07-2011, 00:36
Hi Todi, thank you for feeding this poor dog, Port Royale in Los Cristianos had the same problem earlier in the year, only there was a whole pack of them, in the end it took a group of volunteers, especially sarah, i think 3 months to catch 3 pups. It took ALOT of patience and sitting around waiting. If you are the only person feeding it, it will respond to your kindness (its only been 2 days and its already waiting for you). We used homemade nets and traps but as they were pups i dont think that would work in this case, SuzyQ and other Live Arico members are at a fundraiser this evening, 'i'm sure someone will be on with some advice for you soon, thank you again for caring x

timmylish
31-07-2011, 01:13
Given time and you exclusively doing the feeding your new friend will, without doubt, reach a trusting point at which time its up to you how best to deal with him/her. (Surely you can see if he is well hung!). Slip a collar and lead on and off the two of you will go, even if he becomes frightned by the collar. Persist and he will get to accept this form of control. Good luck

SuzyQ
31-07-2011, 02:33
Todi, you know where we are and you know we will take the dog if you can catch him. Re the cat we cant help, but maybe someone else will see this and assist. Good luck xx

Todi
31-07-2011, 16:51
thanks Timmylish unfortunately it has been dark everytime I have seen it and it is jet black so havent had chance to obsever his/her undercarriage! It was there waiting for me again last night and came closer to the feeding bowls while I was putting the food in but still out of reach. Am trying to tempt it with my doggy stew and I am armed with a lead just in case. Unfortunatey it got scared off last night by someone walking on the waste ground so didnt get the chance to try and approach when he finished the food. I am going to keep trying and be patient and hopefully it will start to trust me I am just so worried someone will hurt it as it is on land next to the golf course and a busy main road.
Am also starting to get funny looks from people as I am lurking in the bushes at midnight!
I also went with the volunteers looking for the Port Royale Dogs a few times so i know I am probably going to be doing this for a while but at least the area is smaller and it seems to be sticking to the same place. Fingers crossed for tonight.
Sue, thanks I know it would be hard for Eugenio to help given the times the dog appears so I will carry on and hope for the best. As per usual the kids want to keep it if I get it which could prove a interesting with Todi especially if it is a boy! but will cross that bridge if and when I get to it.
As for the cat, Cat Woman has provided us with a box and me and my friend will keep looking for it, to be honest if it is as bad as she says I think the vet will put it to sleep and we will sort that out. We just need to know if it has been seen anywhere else and times it comes out.

Kande
31-07-2011, 18:38
Hi Todi,

I caught a little dog (Betty, a young girlie whos looking for a loving home) bout 2 mths ago. She, like the black dog is nervous of people, would not come to the food i gave her until i backed away. This went on for the 2 days before i caught her. I then decided to try to catch her as I felt like you, was afraid she would get run over by a passing car. As I wasnt sure if she would bite me or not, I used a towel and put it over her to catch her. Though when she saw me coming she immediately tried to run away but didn't have much strength in her little legs so it wasn't that difficult for me to catch her.

So, here is a suggestion, try throwing a blanket over her to catch her. This might slow her dog and protect you if she wants to bite. It might work or might not. And then try to put a lead on her as i reckon shes too big for you to carry.

If you need any help, pm me.

Todi
31-07-2011, 19:05
Thank for that Kande, I dont think I am close enough yet to get a blanket over him - going to call it him as I have a feeling its a boy! Hopefully he will let me get nearer each time then a blanket is probably a good idea. Unfortunately he has very long legs and can probably run like the wind and I dont want to frighten him off but am willing to give anything a go to get him.
Hope you find a home for Betty soon
Thanks again :)