PDA

View Full Version : 'Must see' places when considering where to live in Tenerife?

coffee
31-07-2011, 00:41
Im going to be having a look around tenerife to decide where on the island I'd like to live for a few months. So far I have no itinerary, I was thinking of just driving around to get a flavour of the various areas.

Does anyone have any suggestions of towns/places I have to see? Or any obvious places to avoid?

I guess people will say it depends what I want, so what I need is -
- somewhere where my zero spanish language skills won't be a huge problem for me (I will be working from my home to get an income from the uk so don't need to find employment on the island, so no language issues in that respect)
- I'll likely not have a car, so somewhere where I will have the essentials within walking distance, and also on a bus route for when I need to go further
- Not party town for 20 somethings and teenagers, Im in my 30s!
- Id prefer a detached place so I don't hear neighbours through the walls, presumably there are towns/villages that don't just consist of tiny apartments all facing the same little pool?

thanks for any suggestions

timmylish
31-07-2011, 01:08
What is the point of living here with those outlooks?

Zara
31-07-2011, 08:59
Im going to be having a look around tenerife to decide where on the island I'd like to live for a few months. So far I have no itinerary, I was thinking of just driving around to get a flavour of the various areas.

Does anyone have any suggestions of towns/places I have to see? Or any obvious places to avoid?

- somewhere where my zero spanish language skills won't be a huge problem for me (I will be working from my home to get an income from the uk so don't need to find employment on the island, so no language issues in that respect)
- I'll likely not have a car, so somewhere where I will have the essentials within walking distance, and also on a bus route for when I need to go further
- Id prefer a detached place so I don't hear neighbours through the walls, presumably there are towns/villages that don't just consist of tiny apartments all facing the same little pool?

I think your zero Spanish rules out a lot of villages particularly in the North of the island and while you may not find the idea of one of the resorts appealing, you will find it easier to live there initially until you learn enough of the language to 'get by'. The resorts are in general well served with public transport. You may not necessarily find somewhere detached as I would imagine those in Los Cristianos are hugely expensive. You could look at places like Costa del Silencio which will also have fewer youngsters. Perhaps Golf del Sur but in my opinion without a car that is a bit isolated.

I am sure you will get a lot more suggestions.

bonitatime
31-07-2011, 09:16
Detatched place in Tenerife is usually very expensive or very isolated. The Spanish tend to live either in apartments or town houses which are also connected. That said I am not sure I have ebver heard either of my neighbours through interior walls.
You might be better on the costas where there are a lot more single family houses.
Good access to bus routes are San Isidro, Adeje, Guaza.

Stoney
31-07-2011, 10:06
Only place I can think of is Adeje, good connection with the bus routes, can get by without any Spanish (our daughter lived there for a year and didn't speak any Spanish). Although getting a detached place there will not be cheap.

Megaloo
31-07-2011, 10:15
I live in an apartment block with 20 apartments, hardly hear any noise, sometimes do not see anyone for a few days although they are all occupied.

We have a very good bus service here in the North to all over the Island, but it is personal preferecne as to where you woould want to live.

tracy hampshire
31-07-2011, 10:23
try the north, puerto de la cruz is a lovely town, when i first moved there 2 years ago i didn't speak any spanish and managed ok, also icod los vinos is a nice little traditional town, you might be supprised how many english speaking people live in the north of the island.

atlantico
31-07-2011, 10:44
Silencio is OK for English only speaking, for the middle aged/older crowd, for bus routes, for reasonable priced accommodation (€450 all in) , for night life when you want it, no PR's pestering you and only 2 or 3 'known' lookie lookie men, very close to the sea but no beach, a 20 minutes walk to one of the best unspolit Canarian villages of Las Galletas , don't need a car, major supermarkets within walking distance, detached houses ARE available, but not many and they'd be at a premium, try Parque Albatros or Tamaide on google to find a det. or semi house there. And for more 'eating out' , 'things to do' information, see my website www.atlantico-silencio.co.uk

here's a good webcam (http://tpglasgalletas.dyndns.org/control/userimage.html) of Las Galletas seafront, to give you an idea, and also several of Arona (Galletas and Los Cristianos) here (http://www.arona.travel/portal/turismo/floc_d4_v7.jsp?contenido=22568&language=en&tipo=1&nivel=1400&codAdirecto=1140)

junglejim
31-07-2011, 11:10
I´m not sure all of properties would have on-line facilities and bear in mind relative high cost of internet and telephone facilities on Island are €40-50 minimum ?

YOUNG GOLFER
31-07-2011, 12:20

Well what would your budget be in order to find that detached home.....as this could give us more of an idea of what might be right for you....and where.

coffee
31-07-2011, 13:08
Thanks for your replies, lots to think about. Ive looked on a few letting agents sites and it looks like town houses are a good bet. Good to hear that apartments don't seem to have noise problems - my concern there really is that I'll be trying to work against the background noise of a fresh group of teenagers each week moving in all around me! They'll be on holiday and I won't! So im a little wary of resorts. But I also understand some compromise might be needed if I don't have a car... and having english speakers catered for in the resorts would be a big plus for me.

My ideal would be a townhouse where I am a short drive away from the english speaking resorts, so I can hop in the car and get what I need and be able to explore the island but have some tranquility and room at home. Unfortunately I don't think my budget would stretch to a car rental plus a townhouse. My upper limit on expense per month for a car and/or a rental place would be 800 euros, and Id much rather be hovering around the 600 range. From what Ive seen a rental car is a good 400+ a month, leaving 400 at maximum for a place to live. Please correct me if my car hire number is off! So I think I might have to compromise and do without the car and have a place for around 600 from where I can get a bus to a resort.. and I'll hire a car for the odd week here and there to see something of the island.
Also Ive noticed that hiring a scooter or similar is not far off the price of a car! Are car/scooter hire not as expensive as I have seen? It would help enormously if I could have my own transport.

thanks again for the help

Zara
31-07-2011, 14:46
There is someone who frequently posts on Tripadvisor who recommends the following car hire company. http://www.tenerifecarrentals.net/ 0034675351336 ask for Stuart

I don´t know either the poster or the firm but he says the following. Perhaps someone on the forum knows this company but it could be worth speaking to them.

>>> we rented car from here we paid £250 a month cheapest i have payed.<<<

>>> hi give this guy a try he's honest and down to earth, we rented a car from him for 3 months but he also does weekly to, and he is the cheapest without a doubt. his name is Stuart and you pay him in cash and the car comes empty so no rip off price's for petrol, the cars are not new but do the job and he does not go around the car looking minor scratches, this is his website. he also picks you up and drops you off at the airport free as part of this service which save you a bit cash to which pays for the car to be honest lol <<<

Best of luck

coffee
06-08-2011, 14:38
Does anyone know of a property listings paper in Tenerife? I find the weekly local newspaper style property listings you can find in the uk useful as a source of good letting agents. Is there such a thing on the island? I would pick one up when I visit.