PDA

View Full Version : What are the laws regarding street sellers in Tenerife?

mrmotivator
31-07-2011, 11:17
Or should I say "lookie lookie" guys....not quite sure what the "p.c" term is these days.

What is the general law on them over in Tenerife?

It's so hard to even walk to the shops without getting harassed with the "Hey del boy....I give you good price" line and 9 times out of 10, I also get offered drugs by them, but they say it in a sly way, as I'll be walking off....such as "skunk, charlie, e's?"

Surely the Tenerife bill must have some idea what they are doing?

YOUNG GOLFER
31-07-2011, 12:11
Or should I say "lookie lookie" guys....not quite sure what the "p.c" term is these days.

It's so hard to even walk to the shops without getting harassed with the "Hey del boy....I give you good price" line and 9 times out of 10, I also get offered drugs by them, but they say it in a sly way, as I'll be walking off....such as "skunk, charlie, e's?"

I am sure the Police know that some of these street sellers are also selling drugs on the side....as well as fake sunglasses...fake Gold and copy DVDS...

And you will see everyday these guys getting pulled over by the Police.

But it's one thing selling drugs it's another catching them red handed....lets not forget these street sellers are only a small % of people that are doing this.......selling drugs is big business and a lot of people will go down this road in order to make money.

But then it's the same ALL over the world the demand for drugs is very high....always has been always will.

Suej
31-07-2011, 14:05

I find them a pain in the backside and so do all my friends and relatives that visit! Whereīs GFG? :laugh:

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 15:34
I find them a pain in the backside and so do all my friends and relatives that visit! Whereīs GFG? :laugh:

I'm here!!! :) I saw this thread before, but didn't want to come on and do the obvious, but now you've called!!! :)

As you know, myself and the OH feel the same, as did my friends who made a visit. :(

dokgolf
31-07-2011, 17:37
I find a very sharp "NO" is generally enough to keep them at bay.

Ecky Thump
31-07-2011, 17:55
I can honestly say that they don't bother me at all, just a quick reply of "No Thanks" with a smile, normally works and as for drugs, I have never been approached, but then maybe they take one look at me and think,......He looks happy enough without drugs.:)

If you want to talk about the Asian girls (Chinese?), then, that's another story!:(

caroletenerife
31-07-2011, 18:05
I have seen the police search them up the side roads, put the cash they take from them into their own pockets and let them go...that was down Veronikas, they dont come near me..I have a big dog, and the asian shopkeepers back off into their shop...love it. I have even been asked if i can lend the dog out so people can walk in peace....mmmmm money making scheme?????

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 18:20
I can honestly say that they don't bother me at all, just a quick reply of "No Thanks" with a smile, normally works and as for drugs, I have never been approached, but then maybe they take one look at me and think,......He looks happy enough without drugs.:)

If you want to talk about the Asian girls (Chinese?), then, that's another story!:(

I agree a polite 'no' and they go on their way - that's not the problem. It's the amount of times we have to say a polite 'no' in the time we are trying to relax, chat and eat our meal. To have to keep breaking off from our conversation, just isn't relaxing, for us.

Now we've never been bothered by any Chinese people, is that because we don't go on the beach?

Ecky Thump
31-07-2011, 18:25
I agree a polite 'no' and they go on their way - that's not the problem. It's the amount of times we have to say a polite 'no' in the time we are trying to relax, chat and eat our meal. To have to keep breaking off from our conversation, just isn't relaxing, for us.

Now we've never been bothered by any Chinese people, is that because we don't go on the beach?

Its the one that come round the restaurants on the sea front that bother me and if you have children with you they put their rubbish (toys etc.) in front of them. My youngest Grandson is great with them, he holds his hand up to them without looking and says to them...."Talk to the hand":cheeky:

Balcony
31-07-2011, 19:36
Don't need 'law'. Buy if you want to, don't if not. Be polite and think about their position. Be rude only to timeshare ****s

debi
31-07-2011, 19:44
They do seem to pick out who they want to. When I am on my own with my daughters (aged 17 and 10) they ask then when told no thanks (quite a few times) they do get the message. If my OH is with us he gets offered all sorts!

My youngest daughter has got the grasp of it now (like Ecky Thumps grandson) and holds her hands up and says no thanks. basically if the kids aren't interested you've got no chance of selling it to the adults.

sleepy
31-07-2011, 19:49
Don't need 'law'. Buy if you want to, don't if not. Be polite and think about their position. Be rude only to timeshare ****s

We are bound to be reminded soon enough that they don't exist here any more :whistle:

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 19:52
We are bound to be reminded soon enough that they don't exist here any more :whistle:

In my dreams.......................... :) PR's and Lookies :(

dokgolf
31-07-2011, 20:08

Just thought I should remind you that they don't exist here any more!!;)

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 20:10

Is this just the blarney?? :)

dokgolf
31-07-2011, 20:23
I'm sure I don't know what you mean GFG!!:D

warbey
31-07-2011, 20:26
The lookie men dont bother Us much either. Most are quite nice People.
Last Year a Chinese Woman was walking towards Us with a Black Fella (+ watches etc) who had His Arm over Her Shoulders.
I said Now We ARE in trouble.. He grinned and said Mother-in=law!
Maybe maybe not.

Howabout those ITEMS who put stuff on Your Table pretending to be mute..?
Thet reall do My Head in....

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 20:30
The lookie men dont bother Us much either. Most are quite nice People.
Last Year a Chinese Woman was walking towards Us with a Black Fella (+ watches etc) who had His Arm over Her Shoulders.
I said Now We ARE in trouble.. He grinned and said Mother-in=law!
Maybe maybe not.

Howabout those ITEMS who put stuff on Your Table pretending to be mute..?
Thet reall do My Head in....

Good evening Warbs :)

I can't understand anyone not being bothered by them. Would we tolerate them in the UK, if we were expecting to go out for a nice relaxing evening meal? I can't see most people putting up with it for 2 mins, let alone an hour. Only my opinion though :)

warbey
31-07-2011, 20:52

I can't understand anyone not being bothered by them. Would we tolerate them in the UK, if we were expecting to go out for a nice relaxing evening meal? I can't see most people putting up with it for 2 mins, let alone an hour. Only my opinion though :)

I agree. We usually go half board so Lunch is when We do see Them.
They mostlk coner thre Shorelime so We Eat away from the expencive parts too.

Jimandsi
31-07-2011, 21:10
I am sure the Police know that some of these street sellers are also selling drugs on the side....as well as fake sunglasses...fake Gold and copy DVDS...

And you will see everyday these guys getting pulled over by the Police.

But it's one thing selling drugs it's another catching them red handed....lets not forget these street sellers are only a small % of people that are doing this.......selling drugs is big business and a lot of people will go down this road in order to make money.

But then it's the same ALL over the world the demand for drugs is very high....always has been always will.

But the punishment (if and when caught) is so different. Try selling drugs in the Far East and the punishment is extremely severe. Sell drugs in Tenerife and you get away scott free. THAT is why the drug trade is still a major problem in Tenerife.

Ecky Thump
31-07-2011, 21:32
We should try to remember that some of the "Lookie Lookie men and women" have lived in Tenerife with their families for many years and it is their home as much as British Ex Pats.

Now will the proverbial hit the fan?:wink2:

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 21:38
We should try to remember that some of the "Lookie Lookie men and women" have lived in Tenerife with their families for many years and it is their home as much as British Ex Pats.

Now will the proverbial hit the fan?:wink2: No!! :)

Each to their own, :) We just like to eat our meals and chat without interruption. :)

Ecky Thump
31-07-2011, 21:40
No!! :)

Each to their own, :) We just like to eat our meals and chat without interruption. :)

And they like to sell things to you.:p:scared:

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 21:57
And they like to sell things to you.:p:scared:

And if I want to buy something I will approach them, not the other way around!! :)

Ecky Thump
31-07-2011, 22:00
And if I want to buy something I will approach them, not the other way around!! :)

But, this is how they trade in their old country and they have brought some of their old ways of life with them, just like other immigrants.;)

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 22:08
But, this is how they trade in their old country and they have brought some of their old ways of life with them, just like other immigrants.;)

How can anyone enjoy saying 'no thank you' every 5 minutes? I just don't get it!! :)

dixie4
31-07-2011, 22:38
Most lookie lookie men in my experience tend to recognise familar faces on their 'beat' and leave you alone after one or two approaches.

What has always puzzled me is that I have never seen a barman or bar owner shoo them off when they are hasseling their customers. Are they on commission?

Having said all that the best and longest lasting leather belt I have ever owned was bought from a lookie lookie man for 1000 pesetas (about Ģ4 then) I have worn it almost every day for 15 years and it is still like new, superb quality. Oh I have let out the belt a few notches over the years.

marbro8
31-07-2011, 22:46

I can't understand anyone not being bothered by them. Would we tolerate them in the UK, if we were expecting to go out for a nice relaxing evening meal? I can't see most people putting up with it for 2 mins, let alone an hour. Only my opinion though :)you are correct, we would not tolerate it in the uk but we take it as part of the tenerife experience, and we still come back in our 1000's, i think we have just learned to take it in our stride and it is a small price to pay (although annoying) for coming to such a lovely island:wink2:

markcuk
31-07-2011, 22:50
There funny as hell though. Watched a guy buy a watch from one, A couple of seconds later another lookie lookie comes along do you wanna buy watch guy says nah just bought one lookie lookie says but I have the new model that ones old

had me laughing for ages:laugh:

YOUNG GOLFER
31-07-2011, 22:55
But the punishment (if and when caught) is so different. Try selling drugs in the Far East and the punishment is extremely severe. Sell drugs in Tenerife and you get away scott free. THAT is why the drug trade is still a major problem in Tenerife.

Well i would never sell drugs in any country.....but this is a Tenerife forum NOT a Far East one.

The drug trade jimandsi is a major problem in most countries not just Tenerife and let us NOT forget alot of the customers asking for these drugs are here on holiday.

And to be honest you don't know enough about Tenerife to say a statement like that..... about getting away scott free...some do and will do.... but A LOT will serve time.

And this is from someone who has a few friends in the business of catching these sellers.;)

Ecky Thump
31-07-2011, 23:04
:confused:
you are correct, we would not tolerate it in the uk but we take it as part of the tenerife experience, and we still come back in our 1000's, i think we have just learned to take it in our stride and it is a small price to pay (although annoying) for coming to such a lovely island:wink2:

What seems to be missing is the understanding that for many of the Lookie Lookie men is that it is now their home country and that we as holiday makers and visitors should be tolerant of the way that they trade, so why be annoyed?

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 23:07
Most lookie lookie men in my experience tend to recognise familar faces on their 'beat' and leave you alone after one or two approaches.

What has always puzzled me is that I have never seen a barman or bar owner shoo them off when they are hasseling their customers. Are they on commission?

Having said all that the best and longest lasting leather belt I have ever owned was bought from a lookie lookie man for 1000 pesetas (about Ģ4 then) I have worn it almost every day for 15 years and it is still like new, superb quality. Oh I have let out the belt a few notches over the years.

That was a very 'good buy' indeed. :)

MaxineC
31-07-2011, 23:12

You may want to tell that to the 8 people that were imprisoned for 4 years on alleged drug trafficking offences, only then to be released, without apology, when proved innocent...

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 23:15
you are correct, we would not tolerate it in the uk but we take it as part of the tenerife experience, and we still come back in our 1000's, i think we have just learned to take it in our stride and it is a small price to pay (although annoying) for coming to such a lovely island:wink2:

Certain people take the 'lookies' in their stride and certain people don't, just depends on what you want out of a holiday. We certainly have no objection to one or two coming to our table, whilst we are eating, but it was 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7..... then you try to have a gentle stroll after partaking of your food and get stopped every 2 minutes with someone trying to stuff a flyer in your hand - now for us and our friends, this just isn't relaxing........ but as I said above, each to their own....... :)

Added after 2 minutes:

What seems to be missing is the understanding that for many of the Lookie Lookie men is that it is now their home country and that we as holiday makers and visitors should be tolerant of the way that they trade, so why be annoyed?

So if they decide to come over to the UK and do the same, you wouldn't mind them stopping you every 2 mins whilst you're eating - still can't see why they should be allowed to interrupt us when we are in a restaurant. :)

Ecky Thump
31-07-2011, 23:29
Certain people take the 'lookies' in their stride and certain people don't, just depends on what you want out of a holiday. We certainly have no objection to one or two coming to our table, whilst we are eating, but it was 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7..... then you try to have a gentle stroll after partaking of your food and get stopped every 2 minutes with someone trying to stuff a flyer in your hand - now for us and our friends, this just isn't relaxing........ but as I said above, each to their own....... :)

Added after 2 minutes:

So if they decide to come over to the UK and do the same, you wouldn't mind them stopping you every 2 mins whilst you're eating - still can't see why they should be allowed to interrupt us when we are in a restaurant. :)

The point that I am trying to make is that its Tenerife (their home) where they live and work and that I and any other visitor have to accept that it is their way of life, so we should not get annoyed by their ways of trading.

Goforgold
01-08-2011, 00:00
The point that I am trying to make is that its Tenerife (their home) where they live and work and that I and any other visitor have to accept that it is their way of life, so we should not get annoyed by their ways of trading.

Why shouldn't I feel annoyed at their ways of trading?

If the phone rings when we are eating and it's one of our friends or family, they don't hang around chatting whilst our food goes cold, I call them back when I've finished and they would ask me to do the same. Now if the phoned kept ringing every couple of minutes, whilst I'm eating, after the third time I might start feeling just a little tincey wincey bit annoyed - what is the difference between someone phoning me and someone stopping me in person?? :) Either way, it's annoying.

MaxineC
01-08-2011, 00:16
I think if they're approaching you whilst you're in a restaurant eating, the fault is with the owners of the restaurant for not stopping it... if they're happy for the guys to come to you, it's them that need taking to task. I would never go back to such a place...

TenerifeTeddy
01-08-2011, 00:36
I have seen the police search them up the side roads, put the cash they take from them into their own pockets and let them go...that was down Veronikas, they dont come near me..I have a big dog, and the asian shopkeepers back off into their shop...love it. I have even been asked if i can lend the dog out so people can walk in peace....mmmmm money making scheme?????

Back in 2006 and we reckoned exactly that. :D We were once stopped 13 times on the walkway between Arona Gran and Las Americas by touts. We thought to have 2 watering stations, one at either end, with a few dogs at each, and rent them out to tourists to walk from one station to the other, as no one with a dog ever gets bothered.
I recon we could have made a fortune :devil:

caroletenerife
01-08-2011, 03:27
i dont think the lookies are scared, just realise that if you live here your unlikely to want their goods, same thing with the PR's (although some do ask if the dog needs a drink...cunning plan to get you in the place haha). I always buy sunglasses from the looky boys as i realise their life is not an easy one, at least they work (very long hours) and a lot of their money goes back to feed their families in Senagal.

junglejim
01-08-2011, 07:20
I think if they're approaching you whilst you're in a restaurant eating, the fault is with the owners of the restaurant for not stopping it... if they're happy for the guys to come to you, it's them that need taking to task. I would never go back to such a place...

I think that some of the terraces exterior to restaurants, bars are classed as public walkways so the owners canīt stop them - inside is a different story and I have no time for those who disturb you whilst eating !
We have a good bit of banter with a couple of regulars in our area and I usually buy one his "Muslim Orange" as he doesnīt drink .
They are more than welcome to try and barter with my OH as she is a dab hand at knocking the prices down ! :cry:
The ones who ocassionally frequent the Claddah Bar are brilliant when they join in with Gerry on their music and dancing , then go round with their wares ( they donīt have DVDīs of their act yet!!):mexicanwave:

Ecky Thump
01-08-2011, 08:36

Why shouldn't I feel annoyed at their ways of trading?

If the phone rings when we are eating and it's one of our friends or family, they don't hang around chatting whilst our food goes cold, I call them back when I've finished and they would ask me to do the same. Now if the phoned kept ringing every couple of minutes, whilst I'm eating, after the third time I might start feeling just a little tincey wincey bit annoyed - what is the difference between someone phoning me and someone stopping me in person?? :) Either way, it's annoying.

You are and others still not accepting or addressing the issue that it is their way of trading and a custom that has gone on for many years and that Tenerife has been their home for many years, I can understand that it does annoy you and many others, people have been aware of their ways for many years, yet still get annoyed about it, why then do you submit yourself to eating in a area where they trade, also as frequent visitors to Tenerife, why do many of us react to this way of street trading when we already knew it existed before booking our holidays, if I didn't like the noise level while sitting in a UK pub for a meal or the hustle and bustle of a street market in the UK, then I wouldn't go there, I would go to a soulless shopping arcade with a cafe or restaurant owned by a multinational company where there is no local feeling.:)

PS
When I go out for a meal, my phone is left at home.:cheeky:

Goforgold
01-08-2011, 08:57
You are and others still not accepting or addressing the issue that it is their way of trading and a custom that has gone on for many years and that Tenerife has been their home for many years, I can understand that it does annoy you and many others, people have been aware of their ways for many years, yet still get annoyed about it, why then do you submit yourself to eating in a area where they trade, also as frequent visitors to Tenerife, why do many of us react to this way of street trading when we already knew it existed before booking our holidays, if I didn't like the noise level while sitting in a UK pub for a meal or the hustle and bustle of a street market in the UK, then I wouldn't go there, I would go to a soulless shopping arcade with a cafe or restaurant owned by a multinational company where there is no local feeling.:)

PS
When I go out for a meal, my phone is left at home.:cheeky:
We don't subject ourselves, if you read my posts you will see we stay well away from these areas and don't eat anywhere when we can be 'got at'.

As far as the phone is concerned, I'm talking about the home phone!! I don't want to be interrupted by phone calls on a mobile whilst on holiday!! That's for emergencies only!!! :)

Ecky Thump
01-08-2011, 09:09
We don't subject ourselves, if you read my posts you will see we stay well away from these areas and don't eat anywhere when we can be 'got at'.

As far as the phone is concerned, I'm talking about the home phone!! I don't want to be interrupted by phone calls on a mobile whilst on holiday!! That's for emergencies only!!! :)

Oops, I must have missed that part, but I still cant find it, but I do accept that you have done something about it annoying you, saying that its a shame that you feel that you can't eat in certain areas of Tenerife without getting annoyed by their presence.:yum:

Goforgold
01-08-2011, 09:13
Oops, I must have missed that part, but I still cant find it, but I do accept that you have done something about it annoying you, saying that its a shame that you feel that you can't eat in certain areas of Tenerife without getting annoyed by their presence.:yum:

We think it's a shame too - but until something is done about it....................... ;)

Ecky Thump
01-08-2011, 09:17
We think it's a shame too - but until something is done about it....................... ;)

I think the only way that you or any of us will ever avoid it in those areas of Tenerife is to move or not visit the Island, because as things stand today it looks as if street trading is there to stay.:dontknow:

Goforgold
01-08-2011, 09:25
I think the only way that you or any of us will ever avoid it in those areas of Tenerife is to move or not visit the Island, because as things stand today it looks as if street trading is there to stay.:dontknow:

I forgot to say 'good morning' to you Ecky - hope you slept well :)

You're right it is here to stay and if it bothers anyone that much, as it does us, then they either don't go to these holiday destinations or they work around it as we do. :)

Ecky Thump
01-08-2011, 09:28
I forgot to say 'good morning' to you Ecky - hope you slept well :)

You're right it is here to stay and if it bothers anyone that much, as it does us, then they either don't go to these holiday destinations or they work around it as we do. :)

Morning to you too.:tiphat:

My wife says that I am too tolerant at times, but I think its just that I like Tenerife.

Goforgold
01-08-2011, 09:32

My wife says that I am too tolerant at times, but I think its just that I like Tenerife.

Funny thing is my OH is very tolerant, well he has to be living with me, and he feels the same about these interruptions. I'm not sure that it is a 'tolerant' thing as to whether it bothers you or not. Would be interesting to find out why some people don't mind and some do, may be it depends on how 'lucky' they have been as to the amount of interruptions. :)

Leam_Lin
01-08-2011, 09:45
We have our favourites & will always give them the time of day.

Can't stand the chinese M or F, they dont seem to know NO or a hand put up.

When the touts approach for eating places we say "already eaten" but they do get annoying one after another.

Another tip carry a Spanish newspaper in the top of your bag.

Zara
01-08-2011, 10:26
I donīt think it is a secret that I like the looky looky men, generally I feel sorry for them having to leave their homes and families and try to earn a living however they can. I have been told (donīt know how true) that a large percentage of what they make selling rubbish goes not only towards paying for it but towards their debts for getting here.

I have always found them polite, never pushy (except the Chinese) and after spending a couple of Sundays doing a bit of PR work for K9 realise just how the general public treat all of these people. I have been pushed, sworn at, lied to and even had people walk on the road in front of traffic to avoid me. I now find that I have a couple of looky looky friends in Los Cris. they smile and give me the thumbs up when they see me getting the same treatment as they get daily. Perhaps we should be a little more tolerant of fellow human beings, we donīt know their circumstances and at least these people are trying to earn a living rather than begging.

I have never been offered drugs by anyone on the island - they obviously never knew me in my youth :whistle:

sleepy
01-08-2011, 10:26

I wonder how tolerant you'd be if you lived here and had to suffer it every day you walked out of your house!They are even on the increase in Las Galletas now!!

Suej
01-08-2011, 10:39
What I find quite amazing is their level of education, remarkably high! Donīt get that at all? :confused:

MaxineC
01-08-2011, 11:06
I wonder how tolerant you'd be if you lived here and had to suffer it every day you walked out of your house!They are even on the increase in Las Galletas now!!

I live here, and don't have a problem with them... a smile & no thanks is all that's required!

caroletenerife
01-08-2011, 11:18
What I find quite amazing is their level of education, remarkably high! Donīt get that at all? :confused:

I believe it is because they value and appreciate the importance of education as a tool to get ahead, they teach each other English, German and probably now Russian. No doubt some do sell drugs but on the whole their work ethic should be applauded. At the end of the night (i mean 2am) i have known some of them to help put away terrace furniture and take the bins out etc for a couple of euros and a coke.

Their way of trading may not be permitted in the UK, but if it was, can you honestly see some of the unemployed in UK trailing the streets for 9 or 10 hours, getting verbally abused for a few quid in the hope that it might improve their lot.

I know one looky who has 5 children and ageing parents to provide for in Senagal, in the UK he would be straight down the social for everything from maternity payments to disability living allowance and pensions. Then go home to his council house to watch Jeremy Kyle on his 42 inch plasma screen. x

Suej
01-08-2011, 11:37
I believe it is because they value and appreciate the importance of education as a tool to get ahead, they teach each other English, German and probably now Russian. No doubt some do sell drugs but on the whole their work ethic should be applauded. At the end of the night (i mean 2am) i have known some of them to help put away terrace furniture and take the bins out etc for a couple of euros and a coke.

Their way of trading may not be permitted in the UK, but if it was, can you honestly see some of the unemployed in UK trailing the streets for 9 or 10 hours, getting verbally abused for a few quid in the hope that it might improve their lot.

I know one looky who has 5 children and ageing parents to provide for in Senagal, in the UK he would be straight down the social for everything from maternity payments to disability living allowance and pensions. Then go home to his council house to watch Jeremy Kyle on his 42 inch plasma screen. x

I understand this carole but would still rather eat a meal in peace sorry! itīs a shame they are not allowed to set up little tables on the street as Iīm sure people would rather stop and browse their wares if they want to rather than have them approaching your table whilst eating a meal. :)

caroletenerife
01-08-2011, 12:04
I agree with you on the restaurant issue, the bar i work in allows them to sell at the tables outside as they are on the street (but only ask politley, if they hassle and wont go away, the microphone does on and they are told to leave in colourful language). They are NOT allowed in the bar. I used to work in a restaurant and it was never permitted. So its the restaurants fault if your meal is ruined and i would make sure the manager knew it and that i would not be back. Competition is too fierce to allow this practice to put off customers, if the managers allow it then they desreve to have empty tables x

Suej
01-08-2011, 12:09
Good post IMO Carole! There will always be people who really donīt mind and people who do! I love my food and especially donīt like my evening meal being interrupted either out or at home. As you say itīs up to the restaurant/bar owners to kerb the practice if it is getting out of hand on their premises.:)

stocktonmackem
01-08-2011, 12:43
I havent got a problem with the lookie lookie men in fact i always look out for Tony our favourite. He has been there for about 6 years and is always friendly and polite even thou I keep telling him that I am allergic to metal and until he finds me a plastic swatch watch he has no chance of selling me anything. So if anyone wants an excuse feel free to use that one. lol I always find a polite no to the others is enough for them to move on.

Goforgold
01-08-2011, 15:10
I agree with you on the restaurant issue, the bar i work in allows them to sell at the tables outside as they are on the street (but only ask politley, if they hassle and wont go away, the microphone does on and they are told to leave in colourful language). They are NOT allowed in the bar. I used to work in a restaurant and it was never permitted. So its the restaurants fault if your meal is ruined and i would make sure the manager knew it and that i would not be back. Competition is too fierce to allow this practice to put off customers, if the managers allow it then they desreve to have empty tables x

That's the problem though, having to eat inside. When you come away for winter sun, it's the sitting outdoors that is the attraction. :)

liamog
01-08-2011, 15:43
When I fill out a complaint card in the tourist office in regard to all the folks in your face, I usually admit that the most likely reason why this carry on is allowed, "is because Tenerife is a third world country"

Is enough folk filled out a comment card and said "that Tenerife is a third world country", the powers might do something about it.
Liamog

MaxineC
01-08-2011, 15:47
When I fill out a complaint card in the tourist office in regard to all the folks in your face, I usually admit that the most likely reason why this carry on is allowed, "is because Tenerife is a third world country"

Is enough folk filled out a comment card and said "that Tenerife is a third world country", the powers might do something about it.
Liamog

Thankfully I don't think too many of us would agree with you on that point... :eek:

Nice opening post... :rolleyes:

Goforgold
01-08-2011, 17:13
Thankfully I don't think too many of us would agree with you on that point... :eek:

Nice opening post... :rolleyes:

I don't know about mice Max......................... ;)

MaxineC
01-08-2011, 17:27
I don't know about mice Max......................... ;)

??? confused.com ???

Goforgold
01-08-2011, 17:29
??? confused.com ???

Sorry, should have put 'rat' as in 'smell a'

MaxineC
01-08-2011, 17:39
Sorry, should have put 'rat' as in 'smell a'

Ah, that makes sense.... can I presume you've had a that drink now? :rofl:

Goforgold
01-08-2011, 17:39
Ah, that makes sense.... can I presume you've had a that drink now? :rofl:

I'm working on it!!! ;)

Suej
02-08-2011, 17:01

Liamog

This post has made laugh so much, itīs so ridiculous! :crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

Hmmm! whereīs Jimbo?

dokgolf
02-08-2011, 17:14

Liamog

Is it me cos I just don't get this??:confused:

Jimandsi
02-08-2011, 19:05
This post has made laugh so much, itīs so ridiculous! :crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

Hmmm! whereīs Jimbo?

You called ? :raspberry:

marbro8
02-08-2011, 19:22

What seems to be missing is the understanding that for many of the Lookie Lookie men is that it is now their home country and that we as holiday makers and visitors should be tolerant of the way that they trade, so why be annoyed?i would be lying if i said it did not annoy me ecky, all i want to do on my holls is relax, have a few beers and chill, it's not so much the fact that they are plying their wares, but the amount of times they come round doing it!! and some of them come round 2 or 3 times a night, multiply that by how many there are of them and it can be pretty exasperating, and i am also very tolerant to the point sandra say's to me "just tell em to P off", but i just say a polite no thank you or i have perfected the shake of the head with a nice smile now which seems to hit the mark:wink2: i also had a long conversation with one of the looky looky guys one night and said to him that things in his country must have been prety bad for him to risk his life to get to tenerife, and that i thought he was very brave, he shook my hand and thanked me for understanding, bless him, so my point is i do not dislike them:wink2:

Added after 6 minutes:

What I find quite amazing is their level of education, remarkably high! Donīt get that at all? :confused:we were told a few months ago that as soon as they land on the island and they are 16 and under they give themselves up to the authorities and are taken into care and given free schooling

Suej
02-08-2011, 19:40
You called ? :raspberry:

Jimbo are you related to Liamog? :laugh:

Jimandsi
02-08-2011, 20:15
Jimbo are you related to Liamog? :laugh:

Not me Suej - I'm a good guy now :whistle:

marbro8
02-08-2011, 20:24
Not me Suej - I'm a good guy now :whistle::crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::c rylaughing:

Margaretta
02-08-2011, 20:28
No, the 'lookie lookie' men are not at all uneducated and there are probably many things they would rather do than being ignored and rejected day after day. We have our favourites too! It must be a soul-destroying job. I would be very angry if offered drugs by them but that hasn't happened at all. I like the banter albeit often repetitive.

Their stock has hardly changed in recent years. Surely their suppliers must realise that sunglasses, watches, necklaces and bracelets have had their day? It would be interesting to know how much they do make.

I really worry about those Chinese toys and hope it isn't acid which makes them glow as they are thrown in the air? Small parts are dangerous too!

Yes, if they were allocated an area to sell it would be better all round and they may even acquire some different stock!

marbro8
02-08-2011, 20:45
No, the 'lookie lookie' men are not at all uneducated and there are probably many things they would rather do than being ignored and rejected day after day. We have our favourites too! It must be a soul-destroying job. I would be very angry if offered drugs by them but that hasn't happened at all. I like the banter albeit often repetitive.

Their stock has hardly changed in recent years. Surely their suppliers must realise that sunglasses, watches, necklaces and bracelets have had their day? It would be interesting to know how much they do make.

I really worry about those Chinese toys and hope it isn't acid which makes them glow as they are thrown in the air? Small parts are dangerous too!

Yes, if they were allocated an area to sell it would be better all round and they may even acquire some different stock!i have noticed quite a few on the market in los cris, so maybe extending the market to accommodate them? or when the market is closed then renting it out to them on a night would not only benefit them but also the market owners who are not getting revenue while it is closed? they do it in turkey:wink2:

Balcony
03-08-2011, 12:55
You're kidding me? Did I miss a wonderful passing?