PDA

View Full Version : Are you suspicious of over friendly people?

Suej
31-07-2011, 14:52
We were in a well known Ferreteria in Armeñime the other day and needed help with some of the Spanish products the guy serving in there was so overly friendly and helpful that I actually wondered why? and became a bit suspicious of him (unfounded as he genuinely wanted to help)...Is it just me and do others hear alarm bells when people are just too nice?:ashamed:

caroletenerife
31-07-2011, 15:04
haha, you have been in Tenerife too long, make the most of friendly helpful service, its not common. There is one member of staff in Mercadona in San Eugenio that stands out, he speaks good english and he was working at the meat counter. He offered advice on how to cook things and which veg goes best etc unprompted, very helpful and put me in mind of M&S service...I was impressed, most of them look like they are chewing a wasp when you get served x

dede
31-07-2011, 15:06
Suej if it was goyo his name is miguel and he is always very nice to all his customers, just a very friendly spanish guy..

Suej
31-07-2011, 15:09
Ha Ha! I did realise that by the time we left dede he sorted us out with everything we needed...I feel a bit ashamed tbh, but couldn´t help thinking he wanted to con us! Sorry Sorry to Miguel!:o

captain jack sparrow
31-07-2011, 15:12
my experience was, whilst walking down las americas few years ago, popped into a shop, the girlfriend bought a watch from a very frendly pair of asian lads, now, we visited the shop quite a few times through the week, once to get the strap altered ( foc ) cigs etc.

On this one occasion, we called in and were invited back to their apartment for a home made indian meal, Alarm bells were ringing and we debated it throughout the day whether to go or not. Anyway, decided to go, had a great night, good banter and great food. Never saw them again after that holiday as they apparently moved on somewhere.

murph
31-07-2011, 15:22
We were in a well known Ferreteria in Armeñime the other day and needed help with some of the Spanish products the guy serving in there was so overly friendly and helpful that I actually wondered why? and became a bit suspicious of him (unfounded as he genuinely wanted to help)...Is it just me and do others hear alarm bells when people are just too nice?:ashamed:

Ha Ha

You should see my doctor...

He said I was paranoid - well he didn't say it out loud but I knew he was thinking it...!

:faint::lol:

Tom & Sharon
31-07-2011, 15:41
Suej if it was Goyo his name is Miguel and he is always very nice to all his customers, just a very friendly spanish guy..

All his yard staff are English as well,he knows where his customer base is coming from!!

Tom :tiphat:

dokgolf
31-07-2011, 17:34
I have to say that we have yet to meet rude SPANISH sales staff in Tenerife. Mostly they laugh at my pigeon Spanish, join in with my wild gesticulations and charades and eventually ( somehow) I walk out with exactly what I needed! ( Last time I was in a pharmacy, I accidentally hit my wife in the eye trying to describe eczema cream!):ashamed:

Jelly Baby
31-07-2011, 18:46
I have to say that we have yet to meet rude SPANISH sales staff in Tenerife.

Then you have been very lucky!

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 18:48
No - just people!! ........................... :)

Balcony
31-07-2011, 19:35
I welcome friendly people. I am just back from camping inthe English Lake District and what a bunch of numpties. Men especially. The ladies at least usually bid you good morning, but most men were in a state of trance (or was that a hangover?). At least one guy (and wife) from Todmorden made up for it!

dokgolf
31-07-2011, 19:47
Then you have been very lucky!

Personally, I think its the Irish accent. It seems to be well received almost everywhere. My sister in law ( from Slough) has always maintained that her English accent sometimes leads to a colder reception from people ( until they get to know her) when she's abroad.

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 19:49
Personally, I think its the Irish accent. It seems to be well received almost everywhere. My sister in law ( from Slough) has always maintained that her English accent sometimes leads to a colder reception from people ( until they get to know her) when she's abroad.

I think you have something there - I have a lovely Irish friend, one of the best!! ;)

Only problem is they love giving you food. :)

dokgolf
31-07-2011, 20:10
I think you have something there - I have a lovely Irish friend, one of the best!! ;)

Only problem is they love giving you food. :)

I've put a quiche in the post to you GfG!

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 20:11

mmmmmmmmmmmmm soooooooooo Yummie :)

warbey
31-07-2011, 20:12
I had a similar experience in Jamaica.
I thouht He was a Timeshare Tout but
He turned out to be Manager of anearby Hotel who appreciated Us taking a walk to see HIS Country..
Lesson Learnt...................I felt a bit of a fool too....

doreen
31-07-2011, 20:22

Not cooked in that oven of yours, I hope :)

Have to admit I am becoming more suspicious - have been too trusting before :(

dokgolf
31-07-2011, 20:32
[QUOTE=doreen;71506]Not cooked in that oven of yours, I hope :)

Please...... don't remind me!:ashamed:

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 20:41
[QUOTE=doreen;71506]Not cooked in that oven of yours, I hope :)

Please...... don't remind me!:ashamed:

What's this about your overn Dokgolf? What exactly are you sending me? ;)

dokgolf
31-07-2011, 20:45
Now now... don't get me started!! You know perfectly well what happened ( on both occasions...:cry:):D

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 20:46
Now now... don't get me started!! You know perfectly well what happened ( on both occasions...:cry:):D

Only teasing !!! Hope you got it sorted!!! ;)

doreen
31-07-2011, 20:52

Think you will find the quiche flavoured with a hint of lemon ... served with vinegar on the side :lol:

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 20:54
Think you will find the quiche flavoured with a hint of lemon ... served with vinegar on the side :lol:

Very tart then!!! ;)

dokgolf
31-07-2011, 21:01
Only teasing !!! Hope you got it sorted!!! ;)

Of course I know you're teasing, but as Doreen says, there may be the slightest whiff of lemon from the quiche!;)

no vinegar on the side, I used it all during the oven debacle!:D

Suej
31-07-2011, 21:08
Very tart then!!! ;)

You´ll need to try the quiche for Dokgolf´s sake he put a lot of Mr Muscle into whipping up those eggs! :hungry:

dokgolf
31-07-2011, 21:13
You´ll need to try the quiche for Dokgolf´s sake he put a lot of Mr Muscle into whipping up those eggs! :hungry:

et tu Sue?:D

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 21:14

You too have met Dokgolf then??!!! ;)

Suej
31-07-2011, 21:15
et tu Sue?:D
Large portions please Dokgolf! :yum::yum::yum::)

dokgolf
31-07-2011, 21:19
I'm throwing out that oven!:surrender:

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 21:20
I'm throwing out that oven!:surrender:

Now you tell us!!! You've already made my quiche!!! :(

Malteser Monkey
01-08-2011, 11:06
Were you suspicious about me then hmmmm:crying2:

howard thornton
01-08-2011, 11:18

i am,very suspicious about you. good morning monkey

Suej
01-08-2011, 12:22
Ha Ha

You should see my doctor...

He said I was paranoid - well he didn't say it out loud but I knew he was thinking it...!

:faint::lol:

Wished I had have seen your Doctor Murph! Cheaper than installing CCTV!:wink2::laugh:

WHY? wot you done? :fpull:

Malteser Monkey
01-08-2011, 12:24
i am,very suspicious about you. good morning monkey

Morning HT ! Ahhh me - I'm ok - kept outta trouble so far :whistle::devil2::D

Pink shoes
01-08-2011, 15:24
I keep a good eye on my bag when I think people are too friendly or stand to close.

Malteser Monkey
01-08-2011, 15:31
I keep a good eye on my bag when I think people are too friendly or stand to close.

I have a thing about invading my personal area - you should never be close enough to smell someone's breath unless you are going to...:jumping:...take the relationship further;):D

warbey
01-08-2011, 20:35
I have a thing about invading my personal area - you should never be close enough to smell someone's breath unless you are going to...:jumping:...take the relationship further;):D

There are usually exceptions though.?

dokgolf
01-08-2011, 20:37
There are usually exceptions though.?

Not unless its a medical situation, otherwise back off!

Goforgold
01-08-2011, 21:13
Not unless its a medical situation, otherwise back off!

You didn't go off topic did you ? :) :) :)

dokgolf
02-08-2011, 17:33
You didn't go off topic did you ? :) :) :)
I dunno, its definitely veering off course! :D