PDA

View Full Version : Can I apply for a Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea for my family as dependents?

chocaholic
31-07-2011, 14:58
Hi, I need to fill in online the application form for the European Health Card. Can I apply for one for my OH, as they dont work but are dependent on me. I pay social security and we do jointt ax declaration?

cainaries
31-07-2011, 18:01
Hi chocaholic

You don't say if you want this from Spain or from the UK.

chocaholic
31-07-2011, 19:16
From spain. Applued online accepted me but not oh .

cainaries
31-07-2011, 19:29
I'm definitely not an expert. Would it be worth consulting goldenmaniac? Has your OH got a Spanish Health Card?

chocaholic
31-07-2011, 20:35
Getting insurance which i planned on doinganyway. Just thought id get this as well as we pay so much social and tax here and have private medical insurance here.

cainaries
31-07-2011, 21:42
Getting insurance which i planned on doinganyway. Just thought id get this as well as we pay so much social and tax here and have private medical insurance here.

If you've paid for it, of course you should have it! My very limited understanding is, for so long as you are not a UK pensioner, if you have the blue Spanish Tarjeta Sanitaria, then the Spanish government should issue you with a European Health Card. Doesn't apply to us because we're UK pensioners so we get our cards from the UK. However, for anyone not entitled to the Tarjeta Sanitaria, then they won't qualify for the Spanish Health Card. But Goldenmaniac will be able to put you straight I'm sure.

Goldenmaniac
01-08-2011, 01:10
Is your OH registered as your dependant with the Seguridad Social? if so you will be able to get a Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea for them as well.
You should consider doing that anyway if they do not have social health care of their own.

chocaholic
01-08-2011, 08:24
Thanks No theyre not cos we just use our Private Health Insurance and hopefully gw always will!

Goldenmaniac
01-08-2011, 08:35
Its great if you are in a position to provide private medical cover, but IMHO you should and your dependants should always be registered in the social system as well if you have entitlement.
The main reason being that if, god forbid, you need medication, your private plan doesn't cover you and you have to pay full whack for meds, where as if you are properly registered in the social system the social GP can give you a subsidised (or free if you are a pensioner) prescription, nothing to stop you jumping between the two systems, a lot of people do.